MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jamie H

British Airways Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 27 May 2015 and with B787-9 from 5 December 2015

The main reason why CDG-KUL was not giving good yields was because MH was throwing fares. I remember being able to get a single ticket for RM 1600 and it was RM 2200 or less for a return ticket during various points in the past 12 months. That was what AF had to contend with and they don't have an A380 as a pax magnet.

Frankly, I can't see BA succeeding on the LHR-KUL service. Most Malaysians will prefer to go on MH. The British are spoilt for choice of destinations - KUL does not come to their minds as a first choice! So unless BA can attract a huge proportion of the premium pax, it will not be easy for them.

Good luck to BA! :)

Edited by flee

The main reason why CDG-KUL was not giving good yields was because MH was throwing fares. I remember being able to get a single ticket for RM 1600 and it was RM 2200 or less for a return ticket during various points in the past 12 months. That was what AF had to contend with and they don't have an A380 as a pax magnet.

Frankly, I can't see BA succeeding on the LHR-KUL service. Most Malaysians will prefer to go on MH. The British are spoilt for choice of destinations - KUL does not come to their minds as a first choice! So unless BA can attract a huge proportion of the premium pax, it will not be easy for them.

Good luck to BA! :)

Not quite for AF vs MH though.. I did a random check on christmas. AF offering at 2.9k and MH offering at 3.4K.

The fact of the matter is, Malaysians have a much bigger affinity for the Brits than all the other European nations. We send our kids to be educated there, aim to migrate there, live there for decades with ease. You can't say the same for France & Germany.

Plus KUL is a oneworld hub hence it is a different market dynamics for BA compared to AF.

Most Malaysians will prefer to go on MH.

Not necessarily. A lot of Malaysians will prefer to go on whatever's the cheapest, which for KUL-LHR is more often than not one of the ME3.

In fact, a lot of Malaysians are staying away from MH after the twin disasters if they can help it.

A lot of Malaysians will prefer to go on whatever's the cheapest, which for KUL-LHR is more often than not one of the ME3.

And if in event MH appears as cheapest on an off day, you can reliably predict at least one of those ME3s will have a bargain fare to match or better MH's offer in the next few days or so :)

And now we have MERS to consider too...

For current outbreak, Republic of Korea is the centre of attention. Despite the unfortunate term 'Middle East Respiratory Syndrome', ME3s' territory seem to be quiet on this front for now :)

Is it confirmed that BA will switch to B789 from the current B772 next summer?

No. BA has not announced any 789 routes yet although it could be one. It was rumored to have similar Y capacity but a slightly smaller premium cabin compared to the 772.

Is it confirmed that BA will switch to B789 from the current B772 next summer?

No. BA has not announced any 789 routes yet although it could be one. It was rumored to have similar Y capacity but a slightly smaller premium cabin compared to the 772.

BA details initial routes and cabin layout for 787-9

Oneworld carrier British Airways has identified the Indian capital Delhi as the first destination for its new Boeing 787-9 fleet.

The aircraft will be introduced on the route from London Heathrow on 25 October.

BA will also begin operating the type to Abu Dhabi and Muscat, as well as Kuala Lumpur, following the aircraft’s deployment on the Indian route.

The carrier will take delivery of the initial Rolls-Royce Trent 1000-powered 787-9 in September.

It is configuring the aircraft in four classes, introducing a first-class cabin on the -9 which will feature eight seats.

There will also be 42 business, 39 premium-economy and 127 economy seats on the type.

This will mean that the -9 will have 216 seats overall, just two more than the airline’s 787-8s, which have a three-class layout without a first-class section.

BA already operates eight of the shorter 787-8s. The airline has ordered a total of 42 787s including 22 787-9s and 12 787-10s.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ba-details-initial-routes-and-cabin-layout-for-787-9-414554/

Completed flight BA33 today for Hari Raya. Some points of interest to share:

1. Aircraft was G-YMMI.
2. Load was shocking. Overbooked. Full J. Full Y+. Full Y. 3 pax had to settle on the jumpseats (for a 13 hours flight!!!). 21 pax were on standby!!! I did not get a glimpse of F but from the check in system at least 8 seats were occupied.
3. Cabin crews were AMAZING!!! A genuine and warm British treatment. I never being taken care of so well in Y. Thanks to Julie, Evelyn and Claire.
4. Their hotel in downtown KL is the Doubletree Intermark.
5. Food option is on par with MH. There is an Asian option on both meals.
6. Their aircraft is premium heavy. Y is a rather small cabin of only 127 seats at the back of the aircraft between door 3 and 4.
7. Majority of pax were white. Only a handful of Malaysian of various races.
8. Remember the aerosol spray on MH flights upon approaching LHR? The same applies on BA flights to KUL. It said it is a requirement by the Malaysian authority.
9. From what I learnt from the cabin crew, the loads to KUL is "getting busier" since it is a new route. If it is like today everyday, then KUL warrants at least a 77W upgrade.
10. Cabin crews are aware that KUL will be one of the first destinations to be given the new 789 next year.
11. Most crews are senior. Julie for instance have flown with BA for 27 years and have been to KUL with BA regular scheduled flights pre 2001.
12. The IFE on the B772 is rather archaic. Looks the same as MH B772 with probably slightly better resolution.

Wow, 3 pax on jumpseats! Must be a whole new inflight experience with front window view! :D

With that kind of demand, an A388 might a possibility in the near future. :)

Great news for KUL... It looks like BA is really giving it a good effort. Hope that other airlines also have similar success. Pity about AF

The second meal, served as a breakfast but at a lunch time. The selection is Asian (chicken noodle) and English (frattata). On the tray, there's also something like a yogurt but not a yogurt, a sweet pastry wrapped up in a plastic, a cup of OJ and the usual stuff in the plastic (sugar, skimmed milk etc). Quantity wise looks pretty standard but I can't comment on the quality because I skipped this service.

Wow, 3 pax on jumpseats! Must be a whole new inflight experience with front window view! :D

Surely not up there in the cockpit ?!! :)

3. Cabin crews were AMAZING!!! A genuine and warm British treatment. I never being taken care of so well in Y. Thanks to Julie, Evelyn and Claire.

Ah, maybe it's time to bring back that old BA jingle - ".... we'll take good care of you; fly the flag, fly the flag ....." :D