MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Jamie H

British Airways Returned to Kuala Lumpur from 27 May 2015 and with B787-9 from 5 December 2015

Load check on flight BA33 LHR-KUL on 21 January 2016:

F = 7/8
J = 35/42
W = 35/39
Y = 119/127

Total = 196/216

Load factor = 90%

Aircraft: G-ZBKA

Load check on flight BA34 KUL-LHR on 26 January 2016:

F = 6/8
J = 34/42
W = 17/39
Y = 131/127 (I reckon full house + 4 babies?)

Total = 188/216

Load factor = 86%

Aircraft: G-ZBKE

A brief comment on my experience flying with BA in World Traveller Plus (W) on 21 and 26 January 2016 respectively.

This was the 3rd time I am flying to/from KUL with BA but the first time onboard the brand new B789. My previous flight was with the B772 with old interior.

Impression on aircraft:

Flew on G-ZBKA on the outbound and G-ZBKE on the inbound. Really enjoying these spanking brand new aircraft to the max.

Pros: The BA B789 is a very solid handsome aircraft. Bravo. Just the perfect size I guess, not too large and too small either.

Cons: None.

Impression on cabin:

Pros: The World Traveller Plus cabin is also very good, solid handsome product. Spacious. Good adjustable headrest with metal railing iso velcro straps. Love the overhead compartment. Overall, better than Air France's Premium Economy cabin on the B772 which I flew on KUL-CDG before.

Cons: Just a minor grouse, the IFE box gets in the way on most aisle seats.

Impression on food:

Foods are generally fine.

Pros: A choice of Western and Asian options on all meals. Menu card. Service is fast.

Cons: None.

Impression on cabin crew:

Professional cabin crew throughout. Very British. However, none managed to outdo the set on my previous flight on the old B772 (the one with 3 pax on jumpseats I wrote earlier in this thread). That cabin crew set was EXCEPTIONAL. Captain waited at the door to bid good bye to all passengers upon arrival in LHR. Funny bits: on the inbound journey, the purser/CSD's name was James Bond, for real. (I knew 1 Clint Eastwood from work).

Impression on IFE:

Pretty good, comparable to most good airlines. Flight map especially is also very good with several unique selections such as the cockpit view.

Extra services on the World Traveller Plus cabin, in summary:

1. Pre-take off drink and snack (pretzel).

2. A selection of UK newspapers offered by cabin crew personally at each seats.

3. Menu card.

4. Meal on porcelain and metal cutleries.

5. Regular drink runs whilst in the dark.

Cons: Just a tiny complaint, the duty free sales are not being emphasised/too relax policy about it, almost non existence.

Others:

I wish the flight time ex LHR can be delayed a bit as 6.50 pm is a bit too early if one wants to have a full day at work and fly right away after. The aircraft's layover time in KUL is quite long (arrival at around 3.30 pm and departure to LHR at 11.45 pm) which is about 8 hours. The departure time ex KUL is perfect. Amongst the first few arrivals into LHR T5, so Immigration clearance is quick.

Guess more pax fly BA ex KUL compared to SIN due to 789 factor since the latter still used 77W and 744 metals?

I think it is probably due to more pax avoiding MH, now that there is an alternative service from LHR into KUL. Its similar to why Air China restarted their PEK-KUL service - travellers were avoiding flying on MH.

Hey guys I'm flying back from LHR to KUL in March. I still can't decide between BA and MH. Premium economy fare on BA is a bit high this time, so I'm probably going to be in Y this time. BA has got a newer plane (Boeing 789), but the Y seats are much narrower. It has better arrival time into KL, arriving at 3pm as opposed to MH arriving at 6pm. So which airline would you guys go for?

The fares are broadly the same.

My vote for flying in Y if fares are the same:

Better Transport Connection from Central London: BA

Better Terminal in LHR: MH

Better Departure Time: MH

Better Arrival Time: BA

Better Total Flight Time: BA

Better Flight Frequency: MH

Better Aircraft: BA

Better Seat: Tie

Better Food: MH

Better Cabin Crew: MH

Better IFE: Tie

Better Embarkation & Disembarkation Process/Time Taken: BA

Don't forget the daily BA 789 and the 10 weekly KL 77W/772/789!

I found the BA Dreamliner to be a very comfortable ride!

Don't forget the daily BA 789 and the 10 weekly KL 77W/772/789!

I found the BA Dreamliner to be a very comfortable ride!

What about the flight you enjoyed?

My two experience is contrasting to yours... For my Air NZ flight (AKL-PER) back in Y, I had the window seat and the curved wall ate up a lot of foot space and my recent JAL flight (LAX - KIX) which was by the window, it gets really warm in the day time...

I'll have 2 more chances year end on JAL between KUL to NRT on the 787.

I think it was the fact that I flew premium economy for the first time. Also something to do with cabin pressurisation which made it less dehydrating for us

Edited by Izanee

I again chose BA for Hari Raya trip recently. Y has been consistently overbooked as far as I am aware. On the outbound, it was 133/127. 6 lucky Y pax got upgraded. On the inbound, the load was exceptional:

F = 7/8

J = 40/42 (the 2 empty seats in J were apparently blocked because it is faulty. The 2 J pax who supposed to be there ended up in W. I think they were on J staff ticket. Aircraft was G-ZBKB)

W = 38/39

Y = 127/127

Originally there was some 140 pax booked in Y. A lot of them got an upgrade to W, myself included. I was also happened to sit next to the only empty seat in W cabin that day, 17E.

I think BA needs to upgauge KUL to a larger aircraft, something with more Y seats and slightly more J seats. I think the load on F and W at the moment is quite ok and not too overwhelming. The suggested aircraft is the B77W with 14F/56J/44W/183Y.

I again chose BA for Hari Raya trip recently. Y has been consistently overbooked as far as I am aware. On the outbound, it was 133/127. 6 lucky Y pax got upgraded. On the inbound, the load was exceptional:

F = 7/8

J = 40/42 (the 2 empty seats in J were apparently blocked because it is faulty. The 2 J pax who supposed to be there ended up in W. I think they were on J staff ticket. Aircraft was G-ZBKB)

W = 38/39

Y = 127/127

Originally there was some 140 pax booked in Y. A lot of them got an upgrade to W, myself included. I was also happened to sit next to the only empty seat in W cabin that day, 17E.

I think BA needs to upgauge KUL to a larger aircraft, something with more Y seats and slightly more J seats. I think the load on F and W at the moment is quite ok and not too overwhelming. The suggested aircraft is the B77W with 14F/56J/44W/183Y.

Wow good loads but what about the yields?

Well if it was just about loads they would send their 77Es which has more capacity than the 789s.

With only 12(?) 77W's, its hard to imagine KUL being chosen but would be cool nonetheless.

Perhaps a frequency increase?

Wow good loads but what about the yields?

Capacity discipline will ensure that yields will be good - too much capacity will depress fares. The usual supply and demand equation....

Capacity discipline will ensure that yields will be good - too much capacity will depress fares. The usual supply and demand equation....

They should send their A318s over. With just over 100 seats, yields will be through the roof!

They should send their A318s over. With just over 100 seats, yields will be through the roof!

BA's 318 has precisely 32 seats. But you knew that :) yields will be even Betterer and more super ! 😝

BA's 318 has precisely 32 seats. But you knew that :) yields will be even Betterer and more super ! 😝

Whoops. Kept confusing it with the A319.

I think BA should send the single-aisle Airbus jumbo jets everywhere. As others have pointed out, the yields will be MUCH better. No more losses!

Air fare in Y has gone down quite a bit since launch. W has always been cheaper than many other airlines such as CX and SQ or even AF.

I was on flight BA 33 departing on 14 June 2017.

Was op-up to F after boarding! (Faint)

Totally unexpected. Literally speechless. Severely under-dressed (dressed bordering Premium Economy-ish).

Apart from a lousy Samsung Note 3 phone, didn't bring a good camera to document the historic event in all its glory. (Cry)

I was on flight BA 33 departing on 14 June 2017.

Was op-up to F after boarding! (Faint)

Totally unexpected. Literally speechless. Severely under-dressed (dressed bordering Premium Economy-ish).

Apart from a lousy Samsung Note 3 phone, didn't bring a good camera to document the historic event in all its glory. (Cry)

Which class were you originally in?