Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

Malaysia Airlines A330-322 9M-MKC

25123239.jpg
Credit: Bill Shemley

Manufacturer series: cn 069.

First delivered: 28/09/1994

Configuration C 44, Y 250

Ferried 24-26/11/2012 Subang Airport to New Chitose Airport, Japan. Onwards to Portland Int'l Airport, USA. Currently stored at Tupelo Regional Airport for part-out and scrap.

A332 9M-MKV is slated to go to HiFly as CS-TRJ early in the new year according to Skyliner.

Thanks for the info

just a question on scrapping the plane. Why MH did not send their plane to a local co. to scrap the planes? I recall KLIA airport - There's a row of old 747s lining up to be scraped? Just wondering..

just a question on scrapping the plane. Why MH did not send their plane to a local co. to scrap the planes? I recall KLIA airport - There's a row of old 747s lining up to be scraped? Just wondering..

I think the decision where to scrap the aircraft is made by the new owners rather than MH

They may not have the know-how and/or equipment to do so. Or it's simply more cost effective to have others do it.

While we are at it old 747s used to have depleted uranium; not sure if that is still the case but it may also need special handling.

While we are at it old 747s used to have depleted uranium; .....

Don't let the anti-Lynas people in on this story :p

Perhaps it's the A330-323s that they're after but it makes more sense for them to get the A330-200s because of the longer range, especially when they that range to cover their transatlantic flights. Can the A330-200 make it from Argentina to NZ?

Perhaps it's the A330-323s that they're after but it makes more sense for them to get the A330-200s because of the longer range, especially when they that range to cover their transatlantic flights. Can the A330-200 make it from Argentina to NZ?

yes. Airbus A330-200

Range

12,224 km (6,600 nm)

AKL-EZE 10329.98km

Certainly A332 has got the range to cover EZE-AKL, how about 'suitable airport' to cover ETOPS segment, is there any 'suitable airport' in between this leg within at least 120 mins of the planned track?

IIRC, MAS could not deploy its B772ER for CPT-EZE sector due to the same reason.

:hi:

Maybe there isn't and that's why AR, LA and QF need 4-engined aircraft to fly between Aus/NZ and S.America.

I know we are going a bit off topic, but according to the new releases, AR is planning to offload two A340-300 (LV-BIT and LV-BMT) and all four A340-211. They will use remaining A340-300 and A330-200 solely on the EZE-AKL and EZE-SYD route.

Ex-Malaysia Airlines System B747-4H6 9M-MPB "Shah Alam"

Construction Number (MSN): 25699/ 965

First Flight:26-02-1993

Airframe Status: Stored

Re-registered as N780AS. Stored at ROW 17-12-2012.

Edited by JuliusWong

So, of the "old" fleet (we're talking about the 734, 744, 330 and 332), which ones are currently still active?

Looking at http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Malaysia-Airlines

B737-400 (29)

Active: 9M-MMA, B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, Q, R, S, T , U, W, X, Y, Z, 9M-MQA, B, D, E, F, I, K, N, O, Q

A330 (old) (3)

Active: 9M-MKA, 9M-MKE, 9M-MKJ

A330-200 (2)

Active: 9M-MKV, 9M-MKW

B747-400 (5)

Active: 9M-MPK, L, N, M, P

Maybe Mwingers can edit if the airframe is no longer active.

I think they should phase out the old aircraft like B734 asap. Last I chose to fly on the B734 instead of B738, got stuck in the KCH airport for more than 2 hours due to aircraft technical problem and has to be replaced by another aircraft flown in from BKI! Pfftt!

*Woohoo! My 1000th post to make me a platinum member and of coz I don't post rubbish to earn this title! :D

Edited by Mike P

B737-400 (29)

Active: 9M-MMA, B, C, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, Q, R, S, T , U, W, X, Y, Z, 9M-MQA, B, D, E, F, I, K, N, O, Q

A330 (old) (3)

A330-200 (2)

B747-400 (5)

Those 3 old A330-300s will be gone next year and most likely those 2 A330-200s as well.

I just hope MAS come to their senses and refurbish the B777-200s that they're going to have to keep for their flights to AMS, FRA, LAX, AKL and maybe even SYD.

I just hope MAS come to their senses and refurbish the B777-200s that they're going to have to keep for their flights to AMS, FRA, LAX, AKL and maybe even SYD.

Agreed! It's pretty obvious that those 772 are going to be around for a while. At least offer your passengers a consistent long-haul products!

As a regular long-haul business class passenger, there is nothing more annoying to me than product inconsistency.

I agree. Even SQ has decided to refurbish 10 of their old B772's.

If MH refurbishes some of their old B772's, they can then proceed to order A350s to replace them in about 4 or 5 years. Later deliveries can be used to replace the older A333's,

B737-400 (29)

A330 (old) (3)

A330-200 (2)

B747-400 (5)

That's still a BIG figure of 737-400 airframe which remains active, I just hope they will be gone for permanent as soon as possible! Is a no brainer for MH to upgrade to 737-800 for all domestic operation stage by stage and then use back 737-400 after March 2013...Think of what the passengers would think for those had sampled the new planes, would they want to fly back those smarties?