MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

Wonder why the FFD and FFE are out of service..were they leased???

Yes, FFD and FFE are leased from Macquarie Finance, both being B737-85F.

A glimpse of MH B737-800NG family:

9M-FFA and FFB (B737-8Q8) are leased from ILFC.

9M-FFC (B737-86N) is leased from GECAS.

9M-FFD and 9M-FFE (B737-85F) are leased from Macquarie Finance

9M-FFF (B737-8FZ) is leased from BBAM.

9M-MLD (B737-8GQ) is leased from Pegasus Aviation.

9M-MLE (B737-8FH) is leased from RBS.

9M-MLF to 9M-MLL (B737-8FZ) are leased from BBAM

9M-MLM to 9M-MLO (B737-8H6) are leased from BBAM as well.

9M-MX* (all B737-8H6) series are combination of owned and leased. 9M-MXA is leased from Yamasa Aircraft. The rest is owned outright by MH. MH seems to jumble up the registration sequencing after the delivery of 9M-MLM onwards.

Yes, FFD and FFE are leased from Macquarie Finance, both being B737-85F.

A glimpse of MH B737-800NG family:

9M-FFA and FFB (B737-8Q8) are leased from ILFC.

9M-FFC (B737-86N) is leased from GECAS.

9M-FFD and 9M-FFE (B737-85F) are leased from Macquarie Finance

9M-FFF (B737-8FZ) is leased from BBAM.

9M-MLD (B737-8GQ) is leased from Pegasus Aviation.

9M-MLE (B737-8FH) is leased from RBS.

9M-MLF to 9M-MLL (B737-8FZ) are leased from BBAM

9M-MLM to 9M-MLO (B737-8H6) are leased from BBAM as well.

9M-MX* (all B737-8H6) series are combination of owned and leased. 9M-MXA is leased from Yamasa Aircraft. The rest is owned outright by MH. MH seems to jumble up the registration sequencing after the delivery of 9M-MLM onwards.

Useful information there! Thanks for sharing. So how many standard 738 they have now ? And how many 738 featuring the sky interior with AVOD throughout ?

By the way, i flew on 9M-FFB this afternoon, seats are worn out, the seat leather is dirty and legroom is totally unacceptable for a FSC like MAS. I hope they will return all these standard 738 as soon as they take delivery of more new 738. But then of course they have to do something about the seat pitch in both JCY and EY on their new 738 too. I personally have flown on their new 738 with sky interior 4 times to date and seat in EY is extremely tight too!

Useful information there! Thanks for sharing. So how many standard 738 they have now ? And how many 738 featuring the sky interior with AVOD throughout ?

9M-FF* and ML* series (except MXA, MLM to MLO) have different configuration (C16, Y150) compared to MH-owned (-8H6) (C16, Y144). These birds have been in service with other airlines (South Africa's Mango Airlines, China's OK Airways, France's XL Airways just to name a few) therefore does not have Boeing Sky Interior and AVOD. Those seats on leased aircraft are there for the sake of plunking in. I doubt MH would want to spend $$ refurbishing them before sending them back to lessor when the lease expires.

When B737-8H6 was first introduced it sent 'shockwave' through MWings forum as everyone was hoping MH will stick to 34" seat pitch for Y class.The tight seat pitch was terrible or short and medium haul flight. MH lost hands down to GA who is getting rave reviews on their hard and soft products on their B738NG. The choice of movies and features was pale in comparison.....half baked effort......A330 is a different story though, except for angled flat J class.

Edited by JuliusWong

9M-FF* and ML* series (except MXA, MLM to MLO) have different configuration (C16, Y150) compared to MH-owned (-8H6) (C16, Y144). These birds have been in service with other airlines (South Africa's Mango Airlines, China's OK Airways, France's XL Airways just to name a few) therefore does not have Boeing Sky Interior and AVOD. Those seats on leased aircraft are there for the sake of plunking in. I doubt MH would want to spend $$ refurbishing them before sending them back to lessor when the lease expires.

When B737-8H6 was first introduced it sent 'shockwave' through MWings forum as everyone was hoping MH will stick to 34" seat pitch for Y class.The tight seat pitch was terrible or short and medium haul flight. MH lost hands down to GA who is getting rave reviews on their hard and soft products on their B738NG. The choice of movies and features was pale in comparison.....half baked effort......A330 is a different story though, except for angled flat J class.

Thanks. Appreciate it :drinks:

Any of you happen to know which type of 738 is scheduled for the daily BKI/HKG flights ? Because i understand it's been upgraded from the 734 to 738. And it was reported that MAS will upgrade the BKI/TPE flights from 734 to the new 738 featuring sky interior starting this month but this never happened. Any ideas why ?

And it was reported that MAS will upgrade the BKI/TPE flights from 734 to the new 738 featuring sky interior starting this month but this never happened. Any ideas why ?

Still 12 days till end of month, if we are to be technical about it :)

Or it's the "new 738 ex-KLIA to ASEAN" prioritization in evidence :D

It was reported that they should have started the swap from B734 to B738 back in March.

My brother who recently did a HKG-BKI return run was saying how awfully old the B734 was, obviously it hasn't been upgraded yet! Oh well, what can be expect as a "colony"? :)

My brother who recently did a HKG-BKI return run was saying how awfully old the B734 was, obviously it hasn't been upgraded yet! Oh well, what can be expect as a "colony"? :)

It seems that they will start deploying the 738 on the BKI/HKG runs starting in August, or so the MAS reservation system suggests. Not sure if it's the leased 738 with the standard 737NG interior or the one with the sky interior though. I understand their flights between BKI/HKG are constantly near-full or full (well, it was full the last 4 times i took MAS flights on this sector). Hopefully they will make a wise decision and deploy the 738 with sky interior on this route.

It seems that they will start deploying the 738 on the BKI/HKG runs starting in August, or so the MAS reservation system suggests. Not sure if it's the leased 738 with the standard 737NG interior or the one with the sky interior though. I understand their flights between BKI/HKG are constantly near-full or full (well, it was full the last 4 times i took MAS flights on this sector). Hopefully they will make a wise decision and deploy the 738 with sky interior on this route.

I recently took that flight but between BKI and KCH. The plane was absolutely chockers!! I'm surprised they haven't upgraded it to the B738 sooner. Mind you, it was school holiday time though...

Some of the flights are code-share with KA I think.

They have been codesharing for yonks. My first flight with KA was MH/KA 60 back in early 90s!

Edited by S V Choong

All the flights between BKI/HKG are code-shared with KA. Currently there are 12 flights a week from BKI-HKG vv with MAS operating a daily flight and KA five flights a week. KA will introduce 1 more weekly flight on Saturday evening starting early next month, bringing the number of flights from BKI-HKG vv. to 13 flights a week. Then there is this Air Asia operating 10 flights a week from BKI-HKG vv. So there will be 23 flights a week in each direction from next month. Bookings are strong for both MAS and KA for the next few months. I understand some of their flights in July and August are completely sold out :good:

By the way, i understand there is a shortage of seats between BKI/ICN too for the next few months. And there will be two extra chartered flights by OZ.

May have something to do with this? My wife and I took the same package last time.

8058_4364780844840_387270936_n.jpg

Paging Cikgu Kenneth. :p

May have something to do with this? My wife and I took the same package last time.

8058_4364780844840_387270936_n.jpg

Paging Cikgu Kenneth. :p

Yes. That's the one. But was everything very rush ? Just three nights in Seoul...

Hah hah - 5 day / 3 night itinerary :)

Notice 1st day itinerary commences at 22:10 - make the most of that 1:50 at the airport (can be fruitful too) :D

All the flights between BKI/HKG are code-shared with KA. Currently there are 12 flights a week from BKI-HKG vv with MAS operating a daily flight and KA five flights a week. KA will introduce 1 more weekly flight on Saturday evening starting early next month, bringing the number of flights from BKI-HKG vv. to 13 flights a week. Then there is this Air Asia operating 10 flights a week from BKI-HKG vv. So there will be 23 flights a week in each direction from next month. Bookings are strong for both MAS and KA for the next few months. I understand some of their flights in July and August are completely sold out :good:

By the way, i understand there is a shortage of seats between BKI/ICN too for the next few months. And there will be two extra chartered flights by OZ.

May be they should consider bringing back the widebodies to HKG? A332 or the new A333? Will KA dispatch their A333 to cater for this surge in demand?

May be they should consider bringing back the widebodies to HKG? A332 or the new A333? Will KA dispatch their A333 to cater for this surge in demand?

KA usually upgrades their flights to 333 only during school holidays. Anyway, it's good that the demand for FSC is still strong despite the presence of Air Asia on this route.

Anyway, it's good that the demand for FSC is still strong despite the presence of Air Asia on this route.

Yeah, that is a real surprise isn't it ?!

I can only assume that MH must have done their A&P very very well in HKG

My aunt visited, her sister (my mum) opined there is a 'cheaper' airline doing the HKG-BKI run nowadays

My aunt was not too interested, cause she was travelling on "mah-hong" after all - M&M/Smarties seats and all too, judging from the pics we received :)

I will be travelling on this route for quite a bit from next year onwards. Hope to catch "Mah Hong" or "Gong Lung" :)

Never mind the cheaper option - more like the last solutions if seats are booked out especially during the Lunar New Year. :)

Yeah, that is a real surprise isn't it ?!

I can only assume that MH must have done their A&P very very well in HKG

My aunt visited, her sister (my mum) opined there is a 'cheaper' airline doing the HKG-BKI run nowadays

My aunt was not too interested, cause she was travelling on "mah-hong" after all - M&M/Smarties seats and all too, judging from the pics we received :)

Indeed it is! All the best to MH and KA. The foods served on MH flight on this particular route is good and the portion is big and so does KA's. But KA's meal served ex-HKG is smaller and there is no bread roll on the evening flight to BKI (not sure about the morning flight as i've never taken it).

I will be travelling on this route for quite a bit from next year onwards. Hope to catch "Mah Hong" or "Gong Lung" :)

Never mind the cheaper option - more like the last solutions if seats are booked out especially during the Lunar New Year. :)

I have since become a big fan of "Gong Lung". The cabin staffs are definitely friendlier and more attentive compared to CX's! :good: I look forward to flying with them again in the near future :)

Edited by Isaac

Yes. That's the one. But was everything very rush ? Just three nights in Seoul...

It was packed but it was fun. Good for lazy people who doesn't want to do any homework before traveling.

Wonder why the FFD and FFE are out of service..were they leased???

At least FFE is not yet out of service, as it did MH 1137 out of PEN this morning. It then continued to SIN....

I have since become a big fan of "Gong Lung". The cabin staffs are definitely friendlier and more attentive compared to CX's! :good: I look forward to flying with them again in the near future :)

Haha.. Isaac, the ambassador of Gong Lung (Dragonair). I can't remember their staff being attentive. Their a/c is on the boring side though... A320, A321 and A333....ZZzzzzzZZZZzzz....... :lazy:

Haha.. Isaac, the ambassador of Gong Lung (Dragonair). I can't remember their staff being attentive. Their a/c is on the boring side though... A320, A321 and A333....ZZzzzzzZZZZzzz....... :lazy:

And some of them in dire need of a wash!