MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

Lion Air and NADI announced a JV - Malindo Air

Their website suddenly not returning any flights when i search - was ok earlier and i was about to book then. Glitch perhaps.

Yuip, same here. Just try to booked but seems not returning any flights. Try to register as member same happend, maybe not ready yet :(

Can't help to convey my very own armchair analysis of the airline and its product.

The type of products that Malindo offer, to be honest, is unexpected. I thought it is going to be the same as per their mainline brand in ID, which is notoriously know as having the worst seat pitch, mineral water only meal, not so profound customer service on the ground and in the air. I thought they are entering the Malaysian market as a full scale LCC like AK. But they don't.

Since they choose to be a hybrid, I think they are entering the market with the intention to kill both AK and MH.

Malindo advantages over AK:

• better seat pitch
  • free 15kg baggage allowance
  • IFE on offer (but unsure whether it is chargeable or not)

Malindo advantages over MH:

• a business class product that is half the price

Also worth mentioning is the backup that Malindo is going to receive from its parent. Lion is definitely have achieved some level of economy of scale since they are operating at a much higher ASK than AK.

If Malindo can offer a reliable all across services, they are definitely going to make a fortune in Malaysia because personally I think their hybrid model and fares structure suit the majority of average Joe and Jane Malaysian travelers (where going for MH J is too pricey and AK is too hassling with all the add ons).

I think Malaysians travelers will welcome Malindo with wide open arms into the market. We now have MH on the premium end segment, AK on the budget segment and Malindo right in between.

MAHB has yet to publish its annual statistics for 2012, but based on 2011 figures, the domestic market shares at KUL are as follows:

AK 58%

MH 36%

FY 6%

While FY will be absent from the 2012 stats, I expect Malindo is going to get something close to 10% in 2013 stats (which will be published somewhere in mid 2014). The data that will excite me the most is how much Malindo is going to steal from AK and MH domestic market pie from their 2012's figures, which should be released anytime from now once MAHB publishes its 2012 Annual Report.

KLIA Statistics

Domestic Market

KLIA2011Domestic.png

Airline - Passengers - %
Malaysia Airlines - 4,341,905 - (-1.5%)
AirAsia - 5,973,346 - (+6.9%)

Domestic.jpg

Domestic08.jpg

Domestic07.jpg

• Domestic passengers in KLIA in 2011 was 11,397,711 which is the second consecutive year the number surpassed 10 million passengers mark. KLIA handled 10,315,251 domestic passengers in 2010 and 9,995,832 domestic passengers in 2009. The growth rate recorded in 2011 is 10.49%.
  • 2011 saw MH's domestic passengers fall by 5.4%. MH handled 4,109,363 domestic passengers in KLIA in 2011, the lowest number since 2007.
  • In 2011, the domestic market share in KLIA is shared between 3 airlines following the commencement of FY's jet operation in KLIA in April 2011. The domestic market share is controlled by AK with 58%, followed by MH with 36% of the pie and FY with the remaining 6%. AK's market share was unchanged from 2010 but MH's deteriorated by 6% from 42% in 2010 following FY's entry into the market. Based on pure quantitative ground, FY's entrant in KLIA does not have any impact to AK at all.
  • AK recorded a growth of 10.3% in 2011 as compared to 6.9% in 2010 for domestic passengers. AK handled 6,586,687 domestic passengers in KLIA in 2011, the highest ever achieved by the airline in a single calendar year.
  • 2011 also saw Firefly entering this segment for the first time. Although managed to capture quite a significant market share of 6% in such a short time, the never ending political interference in the airline industry has cut the airline's timeline in KLIA short. However, with the ever flip flopping decisions by the government, it is interesting to see whether FY will make a comeback in 2012 or not.

Sure you didn't exchange data by mistake?

Yes. I know the numbers look suspicious :p

Now the site completely down... :p

It's back online again.

its back online. done everything in 5mins! :D

Malindo Air Secures Financing To Buy 27 Boeing 737-900ER Aircraft

PUTRAJAYA, March 7 (Bernama) -- Malindo Air, Malaysia's first hybrid airline, has secured US$1.1 billion financing from the US Export-Import Bank (US EXIM Bank) to buy 27 Boeing 737-900ER aircraft.

Chief Executive Officer Chandran Rama Muthy said the airline will buy the aircraft in stages until next year.

"In the first year of operations, we plan to buy 12 aircraft," he told reporters after the signing of an agreement between Malindo Air and its new management staff.

Chandran said Malindo Air's maiden flight to Kota Kinabalu on March 22 will be followed by another to Kuching the next day.

To mark its presence, Malindo Air is offering an all-inclusive fare as low as RM38 to Kuching and RM68 to Kota Kinabalu.

This promo price will last until September or October, said Chandran.

He said Malindo Air will have four flights daily to Kuching and thrice daily to Kota Kinabalu.

"This year, we are aiming for an average load factor of around 85-90 per cent, while offering 12 seats in business class and 168 seats for economy," he added.

Chandran said the airline will announce more domestic routes in the near term.

"We have all the domestic traffic rights and with 12 aircraft, can fly domestic as well as some Asean routes, alongside India and China," he added.

"We are expecting to break even or chalk up a small profit by this year," he added.

He said for the first time in Malaysia, Malindo Air will introduce a hybrid service model, comprising business class seats with a space of 45 inches and economy at 32 inches.

Besides that, he said on board facilities include a personal TV for in-flight entertainment, full meal service in business class and light snacks in economy.

"As for WiFi Internet service, we expect to offer it in June this year," he added.

Other value add-ons that Malindo Air offers is free baggage allowance of 30kg for business class travellers and 15kg in economy.

At the same event, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha handed over the Air Operator Certificate (AOC) to Malindo Air.

Kong said Malindo Air's emergence in Malaysia's low cost carrier market, will provide travel convenience for and improve connectivity in the region, while increasing competitiveness of the KLIA2.

Malindo Air is 49 per cent-owned by Lion Group, with Malaysia's National Aerospace and Defense Industries (NADI), holding a 51 per cent stake.

To be initially based at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, it will be the first airline to operate the brand new B737-900ER in Malaysia.

The new airline will induct 100 aircraft over the next 10 years and initially serve routes with distances of up to five hours from Kuala Lumpur.

Malindo to launch first flight on Mar 22

By LEE YEN MUN

PUTRAJAYA:
Malindo Air is set to launch its first flight on March 22 following its
success in obtaining the air operator certificate (AOC) from the
Department of Civil Aviation last month.

As a start, the
country's second low-cost airline will offer an all-inclusive fare to
Kuching starting from RM38, while a trip to Kota Kinabalu begins at
RM68.

All flights will take off from KL International Airport.

The airlines will be operating the Boeing 737-900ER airplanes, which
have a capacity of 180 seats each and capable of serving destinations
within a five and a half hour range.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha handed over the AOC to Malindo Air chief executive officer Chandran Rama Muthy in a ceremony at the Marriott Putrajaya Hotel on Thursday.

"With Malindo Air as a new airline in the country, it will stimulate
other airlines to continuously push for better services in order to
attract customers," Kong said in his opening speech.

Malindo is a joint venture between Malaysia's Nadi Sdn Bhd and Indonesia's largest domestic carrier, Lion Air parent PT Lion Group.

Source : http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=%2F2013%2F3%2F7%2Fnation%2F20130307121024&sec=nation&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Any members here from KUL, KCH or BKI is going to join them during the initial stages soon and planning for a flight logbook?? Looking forward for the sneak peak and their entrance to MYY soon...

They seem to be having a different business model and obviously a different image from the mainland brand in Indonesia. From my understanding of what I have seen and read, Malindo is like Jetstar, a hybrid, not a full scale LCC most definitely.

Their product seems great. Free baggage allowance (of 15 kg and 30 kg respectively). As Isaac mentioned above, their seat pitch is surprisingly better than MH on the new BSI B738s. Business Class product especially looks very good from the picture.

Yes, OD will compete with MH on product and with AK on price. Lets see what the incumbents will do in response to OD's entry into the Malaysian aviation scene.

Doc, for sure **10 number under thousand right? Lucky u :D

Above 1k lah, but nice number! :good:

Can't help to convey my very own armchair analysis of the airline and its product.

The type of products that Malindo offer, to be honest, is unexpected. I thought it is going to be the same as per their mainline brand in ID, which is notoriously know as having the worst seat pitch, mineral water only meal, not so profound customer service on the ground and in the air. I thought they are entering the Malaysian market as a full scale LCC like AK. But they don't.

Since they choose to be a hybrid, I think they are entering the market with the intention to kill both AK and MH.

Malindo advantages over AK:

• better seat pitch
  • free 15kg baggage allowance
  • IFE on offer (but unsure whether it is chargeable or not)

Malindo advantages over MH:

• a business class product that is half the price

Also worth mentioning is the backup that Malindo is going to receive from its parent. Lion is definitely have achieved some level of economy of scale since they are operating at a much higher ASK than AK.

If Malindo can offer a reliable all across services, they are definitely going to make a fortune in Malaysia because personally I think their hybrid model and fares structure suit the majority of average Joe and Jane Malaysian travelers (where going for MH J is too pricey and AK is too hassling with all the add ons).

I think Malaysians travelers will welcome Malindo with wide open arms into the market. We now have MH on the premium end segment, AK on the budget segment and Malindo right in between.

MAHB has yet to publish its annual statistics for 2012, but based on 2011 figures, the domestic market shares at KUL are as follows:

AK 58%

MH 36%

FY 6%

While FY will be absent from the 2012 stats, I expect Malindo is going to get something close to 10% in 2013 stats (which will be published somewhere in mid 2014). The data that will excite me the most is how much Malindo is going to steal from AK and MH domestic market pie from their 2012's figures, which should be released anytime from now once MAHB publishes its 2012 Annual Report.

maybe they'll be like ThaiSmile then...

in any event, this is the healthy competition that is welcomed by all....

Should have waited the flight launched and I won't regret over booking AirAsia KUL - KCH return on 27th Mar to 2nd Apr with 158 return without luggage and meal :(

Are their flights bookable yet?

Website doesn't seem to be fully functional yet.

Yes, booking and payment via MC went fine, itinerary promptly emailed to me. First impression 9/10. :)

Please fly to HKG Malindo, we need you to kill both MH, KA duopoly on the BKI-HKG route......

Erm... BKI-HKG is no longer duopoly since a very long time ago. AK is now flying this route twice a day and Hong Kong Airlines is flying once a day.