MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

Expect this trend to continue till FY is at least 15 jet fleet strong....but i don't believe MH will be completely pulling out of domestic. Too much to lose. Still many premium passengers out there who demand premium services, even on domestic.

Plus, id think its a step backwards for the country if domestic services are completely ruled by LCCs..

Agreed! plus, there must be some politician people in our government that will urge MAS to continue flying domestically as they want to fly in business class.

I believe FY will eventually take over all MAS domestic flights with the exception of KUL/BKI, KUL/KCH and probably KUL/PEN.

What about MH 734 and 738 tech crews? Does it mean MH is going expand aggressive regionally to substitute ‘transferred’ domestic routes? What about overhead? As MH is unlikely to call for redundancy, curious to know how are they going to allocate fixed overhead.

:sorry: :pardon:

Expect this trend to continue till FY is at least 15 jet fleet strong....but i don't believe MH will be completely pulling out of domestic. Too much to lose. Still many premium passengers out there who demand premium services, even on domestic.

Plus, id think its a step backwards for the country if domestic services are completely ruled by LCCs..

I envision MH operating domestic flights ex KUL to the following airports to feed into its international ops:

• PEN
  • KCH
  • BKI

Everything else goes to FY

I envision MH operating domestic flights ex KUL to the following airports to feed into its international ops:

• PEN
  • KCH
  • BKI

If overhead is assigned to FY, FY is no longer a LCC. If MH continue to absorb overhead, with reduced revenue, MH operation is almost certain to be in the deficit. :pardon: :sorry:

If overhead is assigned to FY, FY is no longer a LCC. If MH continue to absorb overhead, with reduced revenue, MH operation is almost certain to be in the deficit. :pardon: :sorry:

Well, they could expand in the ASEAN region. By 2015 the ASEAN Open Skies policy will be in effect.

• PEN
  • KCH
  • BKI

But MH currently has code share agreements with many foreign airlines to domestic destinations other than the 3 mentioned above. I recalled with KLM, Oman Air, Air Mauritius, South African, China Southern, Gulf Air, Etihad, ANA and Qatar Airways to LGK; Etihad and Air Mauritius to JHB, KUA, KBR and South African to LBU. Are code share agreements simply can be interchangeable between MH and FY?

Well, they could expand in the ASEAN region. By 2015 the ASEAN Open Skies policy will be in effect.

But the question is to expand where? Under the current business climate, what left yet to be served in the ASEAN region are those destinations that do not meet MH's portfolio and more suitable for FY to pursue.

What about 2012 to 2014?

It would definitely be a gradual withdrawal from domestic routes. Enough time for them to renegotiate codeshares etc.

Means MH is going to terminate codeshare agreement with SQ, TG, GA, PR?

Means MH is going to terminate codeshare agreement with SQ, TG, GA, PR?

Renegotiate does not mean terminate.

Besides, it's not certain that they'd go with FY to replace them domestically. It's all speculation.

It seems MH had reduced KUL-SBW and SBW-KUL flights from 2 flights per day to 1 flight per day respectively, meaning no more night KUL-SBW flights and early morning SBW-KUL flights, i.e. MH2718 nad MH2713 starting from 1st July 2011, whlist the day FY commence their flights to SBW. The retain flights are MH2712 and MH2715.

While KUL-SDK and SDK-KUL MH flights are totally pulled out from the service from 1st August 2011. :(

Edited by Michael Chai

It seems MH had reduced KUL-SBW and SBW-KUL flights from 2 flights per day to 1 flight per day respectively, meaning no more night KUL-SBW flights and early morning SBW-KUL flights, i.e. MH2718 nad MH2713 starting from 1st July 2011, whlist the day FY commence their flights to SBW. The retain flights are MH2712 and MH2715.

While KUL-SDK and SDK-KUL MH flights are totally pulled out from the service from 1st August 2011. :(

maybe the passenger volume for sibu n sandakan is not encouraging for so many flights

but what i am shocked to is the no of flights for MH to KCH and BKI are still remained same :blink:

both cities are so well connected to KUL( >25 flights per day ) :rolleyes:

Renegotiate does not mean terminate.

Besides, it's not certain that they'd go with FY to replace them domestically. It's all speculation.

Instead of terminate, believe they prefer to unwind.

Believe most if not all airline have plan/target/direction for 1, 3 and 5 years. Wonder what is MH’s? Without announcing plan/target/direction to stakeholders; how to expect employees to execute and realize the plan? :pardon: :sorry:

maybe the passenger volume for sibu n sandakan is not encouraging for so many flights

but what i am shocked to is the no of flights for MH to KCH and BKI are still remained same :blink:

both cities are so well connected to KUL( >25 flights per day ) :rolleyes:

And you'll see even more flights connecting KUL and BKI/KCH in the near future as FY keeps adding more flights B)

MAS is still enjoying a very good load for their flights between KUL/BKI despite the stiff competition from AK and FY. Even the loads up front are very good :drinks:

But MH currently has code share agreements with many foreign airlines to domestic destinations other than the 3 mentioned above. I recalled with KLM, Oman Air, Air Mauritius, South African, China Southern, Gulf Air, Etihad, ANA and Qatar Airways to LGK; Etihad and Air Mauritius to JHB, KUA, KBR and South African to LBU. Are code share agreements simply can be interchangeable between MH and FY?

Codeshares can't be interchangeable between diff flight codes. But, codeshares also are pending operational status of the flights. Airline reserves right to cut the flights anytime, hence deleting the codeshare on that particular metal.

Little impact lah I think. Some codeshare flights are just there just because. A tradeoff during partnership negotiations while the actual number if cross ticketed passengers are quite low (caveat : some code share flights).

Nothing an apologetic email can't solve. Or, like suhaimi said, renegotiate. :drinks:

both cities are so well connected to KUL( >25 flights per day )

Data from MAHB proves otherwise. Both SBW and SDK recorded good growth in passengers traffic in 2010. SBW grew by +7.4% to 1,009,002 passengers and SDK by +10.3% to 741,674 passengers. But MH's decision must be made based on the profile of passengers from these 2 destinations, i.e. low yielding traffic.

MAS is still enjoying a very good load for their flights between KUL/BKI despite the stiff competition from AK and FY. Even the loads up front are very good

MH's stats prove otherwise (for its overall domestic operation):

MH kicked off the airline's stats for 2011 with the uploading of their stats for January and February 2011 respectively:

http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/misc/operational_statistics_Jan2011.pdf

http://malaysiaairlines.listedcompany.com/misc/operational_statistics_Feb2011.pdf

- Perusing MH's stats, it is very apparent that the domestic sector is not doing well for the first 2 months of 2011. Load factors for MH domestic sector flights are very low at only 58% in January and 57.6% in February 2011. This raises a big concern whether MH should continue serving the domestic routes especially in view that its LCC arm Firefly has started venturing into some of its domestic trunk routes.

- The breakdown of MH's 2,058,000 passengers are [651,000 domestic + 1,407,000 international]. The international passenger number is an increase of 9.8% from 2010 but the domestic passengers number is a decrement of 11.1% from 2010.

From the data, it seems MH is having overcapacity which resulted in the massive drop of its load factor, which is also contributed by the transfer of some of its flights to FY. We should expect MH to continue trimming down its capacity until it reaches the desired level of load factor at +-70%. FY does not reveal its data so we can not really tell as a group, MH and FY do get higher load factor as a result of the transfer of flights between them.

MAS is still enjoying a very good load for their flights between KUL/BKI despite the stiff competition from AK and FY. Even the loads up front are very good :drinks:

MH's stats prove otherwise (for its overall domestic operation):

Not for KUL/BKI sector, i believe as almost all flights i've been on since last year were full to the brim. For flight that wasn't full, it had very few empty seats in EY.

I don't really mind if they replace the MH flights with FY. But from 1 Aug, I can't even booking connecting flights (SYD-SDK, via KUL) thru MH website! I need to go to 2 different website to book 2 different tic even though there is supposedly codeshare arrangement between MH & FY.

i heard rumors that MH's flight SBW-KL will be totally cut from august onwards but bookings can still be made on mas website. don't know how true this is though. i hope MH retains at least one flight to SBW

Ikman - thanks for the link to the photo of 9M-FZA.

Still no evidence of FZA earning revenue three months after it was painted.

I wonder what the lease payments are on a B737 per month.

Geoff

Today evening while waiting flight to KBR, spotted FZA parked at apron opposite gate A6. No idea why FZA parked there. Sorry for poor picture, took via camera phone only.

fza.jpg

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Data from MAHB proves otherwise. Both SBW and SDK recorded good growth in passengers traffic in 2010. SBW grew by +7.4% to 1,009,002 passengers and SDK by +10.3% to 741,674 passengers. But MH's decision must be made based on the profile of passengers from these 2 destinations, i.e. low yielding traffic.

btw, where did u get this data from? mind sharing your source?

cheers

Any info regarding their first B734 inaugural flight JHB-KCH today? As they anounced, some event will be held at Senai.

Firefly Events & Activities 2011

19-22 MAY 2011Firefly

Inaugural Mini CarnivalAero Mall, Senai International Airport, Johor Bharu

Time: 19 May – 2pm – 6pm; 20-21 May – 10am – 6pm;

22 May – 10am – 4pm

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

KUALA LUMPUR, May 25 (Bernama) -- FireFly will increase frequency on the Kuala Lumpur-Kuching-Kuala Lumpur route from the current four to seven times daily.

From June 1, its fourth B737-800 aircraft will increase 75 per cent in seat capacity on that route.

"We decided to utilise the new aircraft on this route due to good demand. Since we started operating this route on January 15, the weekly load factor has an average 75 per cent," said Datuk Eddy Leong, FireFly's Managing Director in a statement here Wednesday.

The three additional daily return flights also provide travellers with more departure choices.

"Passengers flying on FireFly will enjoy incredible value with low fares, as we offer savings of up to 20 per cent with our seamless holistic approach," he added.

Good that FY has increased the frequency on KUL - KCH sector, probably they would consider park some aircraft in KIA. Not unless KIA's parking already full?