MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

There were report saying that KUL - KCH has overall made it over 70% load factor. Probably during some seasons, there could be less demand on this route.

May I know which route? I've flown SBW-KUL-SBW and both ways the load factor was excellent. Only a few vacant seats and both were midweek flights.

BKI/KUL. Always less than half full.

KUL - BKI route is doing good as well...

But not on those days my dad flew with them though. The plane was always less than half full. He has taken FY flight 8 times since they started flying into BKI.

I flew with FY few weeks ago. My flight was retimed. Apparently, an earlier flight was cancelled. With the amount of people waiting at the departure gate, it's easy to convince that they put all passengers into one flight. The retimed flight wasn't even full...

This happened to my flight but it was a MAS one. I was on the 8am flight to KUL (12th Aug 11) but it was canceled a few days before the actual flight. So they moved everyone to the 7.20am flight but the flight wasn't full either. 2 pilots from the 8am flight flew Business Class back to KUL while the cabin staffs flew Economy Class on the same flight. But the good thing is, the 7.20am flight on that day was operated by the new 738 having just arrived from PER :yahoo:

Edited by Isaac

This happened to my flight but it was a MAS one. I was on the 8am flight to KUL (12th Aug 11) but it was canceled a few days before the actual flight. So they moved everyone to the 7.20am flight but the flight wasn't full either. 2 pilots from the 8am flight flew Business Class back to KUL while the cabin staffs flew Economy Class on the same flight. But the good thing is, the 7.20am flight on that day was operated by the new 738 having just arrived from PER :yahoo:

Lucky you. I had to settle for FY's antique B734. The on board radio was odd, it made Jennifer Lopez's "On the Floor" sound like a male version. It was creepy.

FY's decision to lease B734s from outside was a curious decision. Bear in mind that we discussed this topic to death on this thread, albeit about FY taking the B734s from MH.

Lucky you. I had to settle for FY's antique B734. The on board radio was odd, it made Jennifer Lopez's "On the Floor" sound like a male version. It was creepy.

Which B734 you refering? FZA or FZB?

FY announced no longer operate JHB-BKI and JHB-KCH from 15 September 2011 onwards..Sayonara

Firefly Airlines We regret to inform you we will no longer operate JB – Kuching (or JB – Kota Kinabalu) route from September 15 onwards. We apologise for the inconvenience caused

So JHB-KCH only last for 4 months (19 May - 15 September 2011) while JHB-BKI lasts for 3 months (16 June - 15 September 2011).

I bet we could expect the announcement about the suspension of JHB-BDO and JHB-SUB soon too, which are just commenced about 2 weeks ago, before the eventual closure of FY hub in JHB altogether.

JHB management must be pissed off.

FY announced no longer operate JHB-BKI and JHB-KCH from 15 September 2011 onwards..Sayonara

Sapphire taken over perhaps? FY still can maintain their hubs in JHB with their ATRs and open a new routes such as JHB-KBR,JHB-TGG,JHB-AOR,JHB-KUA and the current seasonal flights; JHB-PEN,JHB-LGK

I highly doubt it.

Sapphire is projected to be a 'premium' regional airline. Being 'premium' the airline has to be KUL-centric. Thus we could conclude that there is no way Sapphire will have a hub in JHB or even BKI.

MH relegated the effected routes to FY because MH could not sustain it profitably. Thus the probability that MH is going to take over the route, even momentarily, is 0. The airline itself is cutting 400 of its own flights as we speak.

FY maintaining its JHB hub with an all ATR aircraft is possible and could be successful, given the report on how profitable FY ATR operation was. However, looking at the composition of the present MH's BOD members which contains rival airline's top executives, I doubt any effort to that degree will be pursued. In addition, FY has been projected to be an all ATR operator at SZB only.

So, the immediate benefactor to all these things is AK. Being the only airline on the route, the load and yield for all its JHB flights to/from KCH and BKI post 15 September 2011 must be improving quite significantly.

KUCHING: Firefly, Malaysia Airlines’ (MAS) two-year-old community airline, has started cancelling routes between the peninsula and Sarawak, with the first cancellation starting on Sept 16.

A Firefly staff confirmed yesterday that the Kuching-Johor Baru flight will be the first to be stopped.

The staff, who declined to be named, said Kuching-Johor Baru ticket holders for flights after Sept 16 had two options.

“There has been a lot of enquiries,” he said.

“We (staff) have been told to tell the ticket holders that they can either ask for a refund or be transferred to the Kuching-Kuala Lumpur flight and then onboard the Kuala Lumpur-Johor Baru flight.”

Concerned ticket holders of Firefly’s Kuching-Kuala Lumpur and Sibu-Kuala Lumpur flights are being told to “wait and see”, he added.

A statement from Firefly’s media relations department on the cancellations yesterday said: “We are unable to comment on any network rationalisation. On that subject, only our parent company MAS can announce statements.”

A check on Firefly’s website revealed that six Kuching-Kuala Lumpur daily flights were still listed as available on and after Sept 16, as well as the twice daily Sibu-Kuala Lumpur flights.

For the MAS community airline, the Sarawakian routes are practically brand new.

The Johor Baru-Kuching flight commenced in May, while the Sibu-Kuala Lumpur flight was just added in July with promises of more flights before the end of the year. The flights were much hyped by the federal and state tourism authorities.

Sarawak Tourism Federation president Audry Wan Ullok said she was concerned over the developments.

“It was once good that they (Firefly and AirAsia) were competing against each other,” Audry said.

“I’ve not been given much information about the whole thing, except that state authorities are hoping MASWings will be expanded to become a regional carrier.”

Audry said the cancellation of affordable flights would hit Sarawak badly.

“Most tourists can’t drive here, can they? Air accessibility is such an important factor to us.”

She said there would be a huge hue and cry if the flight rationalisation was not handled properly.

There had been speculations that Firefly could pull out under the proposed share-swap between AirAsia and MAS announced last month.

At the same time, there had been talk that Firefly might restrict its operation to just turbo-engined aircraft and that new airline, Sapphire, would be introduced to take over domestic routes.

Meanwhile, Tourism and Heritage Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg is rumoured to have told industry players recently that state authorities would engage with more foreign airlines to shore up flight connectivity.

The upgrades to Kuching International Airport, which was completed two years ago to allow bigger aircraft to land, would help towards that end, he said.

Johari’s plan to lead a MASwings delegation to the Maldives to explore the island-nation’s use of amphibious aircraft was still on track for this month.

The state wants MASwings to fly directly between Sarawak’s major airports and its new dams like Bakun and Murum, which will be part of the state’s eco-tourism offerings.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/10/sarawak/9462498&sec=sarawak

:pardon: :clapping:

KCH-KUL and KUL-KCH on FY is highly likely to be stopped, normally out of a sudden they blocked the bookings after sometimes it is opened for sales shall translate into route cancellation...let's see how it goes...SBW-KUL and KUL-SBW on FY is believed to be continued (so as SDK-KUL and KUL-SDK), as MH had already transferred the flight to FY, you can still book flights up to next year...

Firefly’s pullout can badly hit industry, says tourism board chief

KUCHING: Firefly’s load factor of about 70% on its flights between Peninsular Malaysia and Sarawak is rather high and its possible pullout from the state will leave a gaping hole in air accessibility, say industry sources.

“On average, they were doing very well,” Sarawak Tourism Board chief executive Datuk Rashid Khan told The Star yesterday.

“Yes, it is about 70%. If it cancels all its flights, it will have a big impact on Sarawak’s domestic tourism growth of 12% this year.”

In terms of arrivals, it has been a good year for the industry after a brief slump last year. Non-Malaysian arrivals increased by more than 20%.

“The latest news has made me very concerned,” said Rashid when asked about Firefly’s cancellation of its Kuching-Johor Baru flights from Sept 16.

“I really don’t know what are their further plans. I’m completely in the dark.”

At press time, it remained unconfirmed whether Firefly — the two-year-old budget wing of Malaysia Airlines (MAS) – will also cease its Kuching-Kuala Lumpur (six daily) and Sibu-Kuala Lumpur (twice daily) flights.

Asked if more cancellations were expected, Rashid said that in any flight rationalisation process, some things must be given in at the end of the day.

“The thing now is to engage with the two managements (MAS and AirAsia). We must know what they want to do so that we can plan how to lobby for what is best for Sarawak. The private sector wants the state to strongly influence how it is served by them (the airlines).”

Overall, the possible downsizing of such well-received low-cost air connections was not good for the industry, he added.

“Everyone is saying it, whether from the public or private sectors, that air connectivity is so important for Sarawak. What impact will it have on us? We just don’t know,” Rashid added.

Ever since the MAS-AirAsia share swap deal was announced last month, it had been rumoured strongly that Firefly would be the first casualty.

Firefly is not only the youngest venture by the debt-ridden national carrier, but is also locked in a fierce head-on battle with AirAsia, which has a fleet of 106 aircraft compared to Firefly’s 18.

Within days of the deal’s announcement, Tourism and Heritage Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg was rumoured to have told industry personnel that the deal would see the death of Firefly.

The state is of the view that MAS should turn its other subsidiary, MASWings, which was set up as a rural service provider, into a full-fledged sub-Asean carrier.

There is speculation that another new MAS budget airline to be called Sapphire will take the place of Firefly, although there is no confirmation of the development from any agency or company.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/11/sarawak/9468193&sec=sarawak

Yet another sign of incompetent people running the tourism office...

If I had the money, I would buy a couple of Q400s and base them at Subang and JB and fly them over to Kuching daily :p

"LIKE"

FY will launch new route Subang(SZB) - Kuantan (KUA) beginning 30 Oct 2011, two flights daily.

Commences 30 October 2011

Subang - Kuantan Route Date Flight No Departure Arrival Fly Time

Subang - Kuantan Daily FY2120 7:40 8:30 0:50

Subang - Kuantan Daily FY2128 17:50 18:40 0:50

Kuantan - Subang Daily FY2121 8:50 9:40 0:50

Kuantan - Subang Daily FY2127 19:00 19:50 0:50

http://www.fireflyz.com.my/popups/szb-kua.html

Firefly to resume flights to Kuantan next month

PETALING JAYA: Community airlines Firefly will re-introduce its Subang-Kuantan flight from Oct 30.

There will be twice-daily flights four times a week.

“We anticipate that the Subang-Kuantan route will be a popular one and we are confident of capturing traffic from business travellers as well as the visit-friends and relatives segments,” said Firefly managing director Datuk Eddy Leong.

The service was suspended in September 2009 due to lack of aircraft.

“We are now in a position to respond to the many requests for this route as we will be taking delivery of two new ATR72-500 aircraft next month.

“Both aircraft will be stationed in Subang,” he said in a press release yesterday.

The scheduled departure time for the Subang-Kuantan flights are at 7.40am and 5.50pm daily, while the Kuantan-Subang flights are scheduled to depart at 8.50am and 7pm every day.

For more information call 03-7845 4543 or visit www.fireflyz.com.my.

GOOD LUCK ..... :blink:

With just 2.5 hours drive from Tol Gombak and Tol Sg Lembing at the speed of not above 110 km/h, as a potential pax, I would rather be driving than flying. It is a similar case of SZB-IPH ...... :mellow:

:hi:

GOOD LUCK ..... :blink:

With just 2.5 hours drive from Tol Gombak and Tol Sg Lembing at the speed of not above 110 km/h, as a potential pax, I would rather be driving than flying. It is a similar case of SZB-IPH ...... :mellow:

:hi:

KL/Subang-Kuantan took about 4 hours drive

PETALING JAYA: Community airline Firefly will increase the number of flights on selected routes out of the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang and Penang next month, said its managing director Datuk Eddy Leong.

He said the airline was able to increase the number of flights as it would be getting two new ATR72-500 aircrafts soon.

“We are also focusing on improving connectivity on existing routes by adding additional frequencies from Oct 30,” he said in a statement here yesterday.

Leong said the airline would also be introducing an additional flight for its routes from Subang to Alor Setar, Langkawi and Johor Baru, resulting in three flights daily each.

Firefly, he said, would also increase the number of flights on its Penang to Kota Baru routes, bringing the total number of daily flights to seven.

“We will also add two new flights daily between Subang and Penang, resulting in 12 flights per day,” he said.

The additional services will be open for sale from today.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/20/nation/9533112&sec=nation

Firefly Airlines

Dearest Firefly Fans

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience that has resulted from the recent route cancellations due to a business realignment exercise by our parent company, Malaysia Airlines. There are many questions over this and Malaysia Airlines will be releasing a statement to address your concerns in due course.

Please rest assured that Firefly will take all necessary steps to minimise the disruption to you, valued passengers who have been impacted by the business realignment exercise. If you have any queries relating to your bookings with us, please write to us at customer_care@fireflyz.com.my with your booking confirmation number and flight details or call 03-7845 4543 for details.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and we thank you for your patience, kind understanding and continued support.