MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

Some news to share.

- FY-jet operations will operate till end of this month. Beyond October 2011, unofficially there will no more B737 FY operation.

- Mainly advance booking pax will be given refund.

- All 6 B738 from tomorrow and onwards will reconfigure back to MAS seat layout. The 2 B734 no news.

- So later, new B737-8H6 some will transfer to Sapphire (yet don't know when will establish).

- FY jet-crew, no idea about that.

From tomorrow? and operation ends end of this month? What happened to KUL-SBW-KUL and KUL-SDK-KUL that MH had dropped out? FY website seems still selling seats till December...that the things that make the public ponder...

From tomorrow? and operation ends end of this month? What happened to KUL-SBW-KUL and KUL-SDK-KUL that MH had dropped out? FY website seems still selling seats till December...that the things that make the public ponder...

I have got a French friend whose favourite tagline is "Who knows?"...

I am not sure if this is a common parlance amongst the French.

Edited by V Wong

And MH's Going Places October issue merrily announces Firefly's expansion with new flights. One would have thought the editors could have culled the news item.

Firefly jet will 9M-FFC will having some maint and repainting + reconfig to MH fleet configuration.

It will start on 12/10 and will follow by other remaining FY 737ng bird.

R.I.P FY jet...

Any info on where will it be done? SZB or KUL?

In Malaysia's business environment, anything could happen. And if Firefly is not careful and too gullible in wanting to expand fast without thinking through enough, it may end up being the looser and gets gobbled up by bigger airlines.

Speculative as it may be, purchasing old aircrafts from MAS in exchange of routes do come into mind. But then, its just speculative. Can't help. Like I say, Malaysia's business environment can changes at any time.

In my opinion, Firefly should built up its financials and not to be too ambitious. Its fleet of aircrafts are new and little maintenance baggage to take care of. So, might as well continue to enjoy the gains just yet, and not to take up the old 734s.

Was on a Firefly flight to Sandakan this morning, announcement on board says booking is opened now for flights till 31st Dec 2011. Not sure if the announcement was pre-recorded or MAS change of plans again. Even the Firefly crew don't know themselves.

So no more Firefly at KCH from Dec onwards, statement from FY's fb.

Firefly Airlines Dear Patrick, due to the recent business realignment exercise by our parent company -Malaysia Airlines, we have stopped sales for the KUL-KCH routes from Dec onwards. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Returned by Firefly from Kuching yesterday. Imagine still playing Selamat Hari Raya inflight music when Hari Raya is way finished! The lead steward inflight announcement needs improvement badly, can hardly pronounce the english words.

I think they might as well just play the pre-recorded announcement. Easier and clear and none would be trapped in the midst of trying to understand the weird slang or noises in between.

I don't know what I should do with my Firefly booking for KUL-KCH January next year. Does anyone have a booking and been given options of either getting transferred to a MAS flight on the same day or a refund?

Dear Mr Chai,

Greetings from Firefly.

With reference to booking XXXXX, we do not have any information on the cancellation of this route - although it's true that the flights for next Winter season are no longer available for sale.

Please hold on to your tickets to retain the value.

Thank you.

--------------------------

Regards,

Firefly Customer Care Team

So which FY jets remain in service these days?

Are the 734s all gone?

One of FY's B738 jet FFC now on new paint, got some info from my spy new paint now have red, white.. :D

End of the road for Firefly’s jet service

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 18 – Firefly’s jet service became a casualty of the strategic collaboration between Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia today and the fledging budget carrier will now focus on its turbo-prop fleet.

Malaysia Airlines announced today that all of its subsidiary’s jet aircraft will be redeployed into the parent company’s operations by December 4, 2011 saying that the move addresses the continuing heavy losses being incurred by Firefly jet operations.

Little was known about Firefly’s financials previously as profit and loss statements were never disclosed by MAS.

The national carrier said that it deeply regreted any inconvenience caused to passengers of Firefly Jet services and gave its fullest assurance to passengers that it will honour all jet flight seats sold on Firefly.

The MAS-AirAsia strategic collaboration was inked on August 9 as a deal between the government’s investment holding company Khazanah which controls MAS and unlisted Tune Air which controls AirAsia.

The move renders AirAsia as Malaysia’s only major airline operating in the budget or value segment prompting fears that the collaboration would give rise to an airline industry cartel.

MAS had since last year used Firefly to compete against AirAsia, launching competitively priced flights from KL to East Malaysia and adopting the same low cost model such as charging for meals on board.

A fare war had erupted late last year with Firefly offering 50,000 seats as low as RM9 and AirAsia responding with a million free seats.

It was also seen by some as a threat to the booming low cost carrier despite AirAsia group CEO Tan Sri Tony Fernandes dismissing any such notions.

Under the collaboration however, MAS will now focus on being a premium full service carrier while AirAsia will focus on the budget segment which appears to remove the element of competition between the two airlines.

Fernandes however said that AirAsia will not increase fares following the strategic collaboration.

“The takeover of jet services is an important part of Malaysia Airlines Group’s business realignment exercise and is prompted by the need to address network and fleet restructuring plans for short-haul jet services. With the consolidation of Firefly’s jet operations under the Group, Malaysia Airlines will focus on the business of growing our premium full-service segment,” said MAS Group CEO, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya in a media statement on the takeover of Firefly jets.

Firefly was to take delivery of its seventh Boeing B737-800s in November.

Source

In the most bizzare news, MH is intending to put give firefly their 734's in a move to combat competition from LCC's.

If actions and deals within MH are clear and logical to commoners like us, it would not be in such a state now....we are nothing but keyboard warriors

Those were the first few responses in this thread after news broke 18 months ago :)

With benefit of hindsight, it's amazing how much has transpired since :D

..... was pretty impress with its service, much better than AA.

Ah, perhaps that is the reason why they had to put a stop to it :p

Ah, perhaps that is the reason why they had to put a stop to it :p

Of course, cashflow wise, I bet Tony would like to reinstate the domestic-LCC-monopoly.

Looks like I'll have to get myself to BKI and back on the 30th having been on their inaugural flight to BKI on Jan 15, I would love to be on the last flight as well.

Will miss Firefly jets :) Have used them a couple of times to East Malaysia and was pretty impress with its service, much better than AA.

Yup, me too. Really miss Firefly jets soon. At least I'll keep my sweet memories in my life with FY joined their 2 inaugural flight.

Really miss this moment, IF to KCH (15th Jan 2011) http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16317

and IF to SBW (1st Jul 2011) http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15406

Did someone notice that in a span of 6 months (from this topic first created), the title of the thread should be changed (in a way) to MAS to take Firefly jets to expand? Haha :pardon:

Malaysia bullehh (slang Western a bit) :rofl:

Malaysia Airlines Group has embarked on a network rationalisation programme, which will see its subsidiary, Firefly, concentrating on serving short-haul turboprop operations, while Malaysia Airlines, focuses on enhancing its premium full-service offering. Firefly’s turboprop operations will remain unaffected by this exercise. Please see the list of affected routes here.

The Group is committed to minimising any disruptions to the travel plans of Firefly jet passengers and will reassign all those affected to equivalent flights or better, at no additional cost, to ensure they reach their intended destinations.

Firefly is in the midst of contacting passengers personally to assist with the re-accommodation; passengers with queries can also email customer_care@fireflyz.com.my with booking confirmation numbers for clarification.

Source

Looks like I'll have to get myself to BKI and back on the 30th having been on their inaugural flight to BKI on Jan 15, I would love to be on the last flight as well.

Last day of service stated as 4th Dec for the last flights (ever?) of FY jets - maybe this is more poignant.

Edited by Mushrif A