MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

michgyver, hav you ask for permission? <_ anyway thanks for saving my work uploading it again. src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

full version

Yup. Try driving from BKI to TWU (8 hours) or BKI to SDK (5 hours).

hmm... BKI-BWN by air 20-30 mins. BKI-BWN by land, 6hours. :lol:

..... back then they were using so many types of equipment between KUL (Subang) and KCH : DC10, A300, B732, B734, F27, F50 and even A310 very briefly. Some flights were routed via SIN. The F27/F50 flights were non-stop and took almost 3 hours.

Those were the days...

You think there will come a day when we look back at the M&M/Smarties themed 734's and 333's now flying ..... and reminisce in same manner ? :p

162654_10150089311803737_576858736_6174615_1320019_n.jpg

167164_10150089311308737_576858736_6174608_6756124_n.jpg

164389_10150089311013737_576858736_6174606_7833729_n.jpg

thanks to samuel choy of ssc

Good news for those who booked a ticket FY to Kota Kinablu on 24th January 2011. That's why they don't have any ceremony on last saturday..

"Join us as we celebrate the commencement of our Kuala Lumpur-Kota Kinabalu route on 24 January see you onboard!"

As they announced on their website, What's new column : http://www.fireflyz.com.my

Good news for those who booked a ticket FY to Kota Kinablu on 24th January 2011. That's why they don't have any ceremony on last saturday..

"Join us as we celebrate the commencement of our Kuala Lumpur-Kota Kinabalu route on 24 January see you onboard!"

As they announced on their website, What's new column : http://www.fireflyz.com.my

Funny how they have a ceremony but it's not on its inaugural flight. Anyone on that flight? :D

Funny how they have a ceremony but it's not on its inaugural flight. Anyone on that flight? :D

Unlucky to me, I'll be going BKI by FY on this 22nd but not 24th Jan, if not double ceremony for me. :D

The reason they're having a ceremony is by 24 Jan, Firefly would operate a full schedule, 3x daily to BKI.

Yup, after BKI next target before end of this year by FY it would be direct flight to Sandakan (SDK) and Tawau (TWU) from KLIA.

Need to copy Cikgu Kenneth's trick to get in. :p

Need to copy Cikgu Kenneth's trick to get in. :p

I was thinking the same way if ceremony will be held on 22nd. :D.

Now waiting for B734 9M-FZA, anyone have an idea where this bird will be fly official first destination?

I was thinking the same way if ceremony will be held on 22nd. :D.

Now waiting for B734 9M-FZA, anyone have an idea where this bird will be fly official first destination?

Heard of some JV set up in JHB between Firefly and someone else. Believe the 734 will be based in JHB. Any insider could probably shed more info regarding this :drinks:

KCH 7 daily and BKI 6 daily? :o

I just can say WOW!

both destination from KUL almost reach 30 daily flights.....

FY place a plane at BKI, good... :lol:

BTW, any news from other destination? :p

Edited by Wong Y. K.

KCH 7 daily and BKI 6 daily? :o

I just can say WOW!

both destination from KUL almost reach 30 daily flights.....

FY place a plane at BKI, good... :lol:

BTW, any news from other destination? :p

Potential other destination future I think Sandakan (SDK), Tawau (TWU), Miri (MYY).

A somewhat confusing interview when the CEO says that FY is concentrating only on deploying B738s when an earlier interview confirmed that they have leased 2 B734s!

QUESTION: Now that Firefly has evolved from serving solely as a turboprop operator and flying the jets, how are you planning to position yourselves as a national and regional airline? Will you still label yourself as a community airline?

Answer: "Firefly, Your Community Airline" shall continue to be our brand positioning. Our focus is to give passengers the lowest fares while providing the best travel convenience and value. For example, we fly to the award-winning main terminal KLIA and use the aerobridge to give our passengers the best comfort.

We also provide codeshare and baggage check-through facilities with Malaysia Airlines. We can offer the lowest fare because we chose the optimal aircraft type and leverage on Firefly's turboprops and Malaysia Airlines' infrastructures such as engineering, flight simulator and ground operations.

Q: Where do you see Firefly as an airline five years from now? You have announced the potential sites as hubs for the jets. Are you looking at setting up similar hubs for the jets outside of Malaysia and where would these proposed hubs be? How many jets are you looking to operate five years from now?

A: Firefly's growth will be in tandem and in coordination with Malaysia Airlines. Currently, we have announced a five-year expansion plan that will see us introducing at least 30 units of B737-800 between 2011 and 2015.

For 2011/2012, our focus is to implement our domestic network footprint to cater to market growth in the "value" segment, while providing additional connectivity to Malaysia Airlines. From 2012 onwards, we will also concurrently expand into regional destinations in the same manner.

Our decision on hubs is primarily determined by the schedule we need to operate. For example, if we base all B737 in KLIA, we would not be able to operate an early morning flight from Kota Kinabalu (say, at 7.30am) because the aircraft would need to leave KLIA at 7am and arrive at Kota Kinabalu at 9.30 am.

Therefore, the earliest Kota Kinabalu-KL flight would be at 10am. However, if we have aircraft based in KK (hence the KK "hub"), we will be able to operate the 7am flight easily.

All sizeable airlines operate in similar ways and we are fortunate that we are able to leverage on Malaysia Airlines' existing infrastructures at the various "hubs", be it domestic or international.

Q: How many ATR 72-500 planes are you looking to use five years from now? And how many B737-400 and B737-800 do you intend to use? Are there plans to bring in other aircraft like the Airbus to your fleet?

A: Our jet operations will be exclusively on the B737-800 fleet. Currently, there are no plans for other aircraft types, but we do not rule out any possibility in the future.

As for ATR operations, we presently have 10 aircraft, eight based in Subang and two in Penang. We are currently evaluating organic growth of this niche business.

Q: Why did you decide to introduce the jets into your existing fleet of turboprops? When you introduced the ATRs to Malaysians more than five years ago, its cost-saving benefits were highlighted. How does the introduction of the jets help you to save costs, if any?

A: The introduction of jet operations by Firefly is part of the identified actions laid out in Malaysia Airlines' Business Turnaround Plan 2, though implicitly. The fastest growing market segment is clearly the "value" segment and Malaysia Airlines as a group needs to have a different entity with different cost structure to capitalise on this, while at the same time, improve connectivity of the Malaysia Airlines network.

Firefly is the ideal entity for this as it already has profitable turboprop operations and by leveraging on Malaysia Airlines' existing infrastructure, we are able to enjoy further cost savings.

Q: In five years, what kind of profits are you looking at in terms of Firefly's contributions to MAS' bottom line?

A: We are unable to provide any projections for such a timeline. Suffice to say, however, that it will be significant.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/fliezz/Article/

Could it be that the 734s are there for interim measures, and that once they get more 738s those 734s will be replaced?

This would certainly make the most sense.

Tommorow (Feb 22) FY will reveal NEW ROUTES and it's PLURAL..:D

Firefly Airlines

We have an EXCITING announcement tomorrow that involves NEW routes and LOW fares! How low can we go? Check back tomorrow (Feb 22) after 3pm (local time) for the juicy details...

Tommorow (Feb 22) FY will reveal NEW ROUTES and it's PLURAL..:D

Hopefully more destinations to East M'sia (SBW,BTU,MYY,SDK,TWU,LBU)

Two and half hours to go ! :D

Yup, everbody is waiting for Firefly while AirAsia announced as low fare at RM5. I can smell KUL-BWN :D and maybe new international routes from JHB. Let see.

Hopefully more destinations to East M'sia (SBW,BTU,MYY,SDK,TWU,LBU)

I don't think East Malaysia is going to get more as it will eat into MASWing's business. They are now providing a trunk connection to KLIA. So the next logical moves would be to allow Firefly pax to connect to international destinations. I am thinking along the lines of ASEAN destinations like BKK, SIN, CGK, HKT, etc.