MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ken K. Kour

No New Routes for MAS Next Year

No new routes for MAS next year

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia Airlines will not add new routes to its current network despite 2007 being Visit Malaysia Year.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy said MAS would instead look towards boosting connectivity during this period by negotiating with other airlines on a code-sharing basis.

“MAS is still in the midst of its turnaround plan and its main priority should be to consolidate its financial position. That is the most important thing,†he told reporters here yesterday.

“I am told that it will not be expanding its network for VMY2007 but is talking with other airlines such as Alitalia and another from South Africa to code-share.

“Once these have been finalised, MAS will make an announcement.â€

MAS is expected soon to unveil its plan on enhancing connectivity for VMY2007, which the Government hopes will draw some 20.1 million visitors to the country.

The star

Copyright © 1995-2005 Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)

Managed by I.Star.

“I am told that it will not be expanding its network for VMY2007 but is talking with other airlines such as Alitalia and another from South Africa to code-share.

AZ is in such a bad shape, don't count on them to start flying to Malaysia; I bet it will be MH metal with AZ code-share; same goes for the SA code-share (although it would be nice to see the A340's at KUL)...

Drat, little chance of BKI-LHR-BKI anytime soon then I suppose !! :rolleyes:

The runway here is an issue too. Besides, MAS doesn't have the right-size aircraft to serve this route unless they order the 788 but even if they order it next year, they will still have to wait till 2010 the earliest to start this route.

Isaac,

It was meant as a 'tongue in cheek' blurp ! I reckon the local runway issue is way, way down the list. Primary among which would be pax demand. Secondly, it would be nonsense for MH to sacrifice any of its LHR slots for anything of lower capacity.

Having said all that, one must never discount the persuasiveness of political interventions, Mr Idris Jala or not !! :rolleyes:

Well, they don't really have the fleet numbers to add new destinations and boost existing markets with additional frequencies at the same time - it's really a case of one or the other - and well, let's face it, focusing on where you are now (in terms of existing destinations) is the way to go. However.. speaking of LHR, I still do not quite understand what the deal is with reducing it to 14x weekly from 18x... it should actually be boosted to 21x weekly....

Also, does this announcement of "no new destinations" include or exclude MASKargo?? i.e. is it Systemwide?

Isaac,

It was meant as a 'tongue in cheek' blurp ! I reckon the local runway issue is way, way down the list. Primary among which would be pax demand. Secondly, it would be nonsense for MH to sacrifice any of its LHR slots for anything of lower capacity.

Having said all that, one must never discount the persuasiveness of political interventions, Mr Idris Jala or not !!

If the Sabah Tourism Board lobbied hard enough, we might be able to see the light of BKI-KUL-LHR-KUL-BKI route. However I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Anyway, I do think BKI has enough connection as of now, as we are not as big as other cities like KUL, SIN or HKG.

BKI current pax are those to or from the orient route. BKI to any destination other then orient route is not forcible as it could not sustain the low pax.

BKI current pax are those to or from the orient route. BKI to any destination other then orient route is not forcible as it could not sustain the low pax.

Correct me if I am wrong...For MAS, Sabah and Sarawak routes has always been politically influenced. I still remember the SYD-BKI, KCH-PER, KCH-TYO,..etc etc . What's the result of those flight? I do not wish to comment further....

Correct me if I am wrong...For MAS, Sabah and Sarawak routes has always been politically influenced. I still remember the SYD-BKI, KCH-PER, KCH-TYO,..etc etc .

I think it was SYD-KCH, which was rather short lived. MAS has never flown SYD-BKI. AO did operate the SYD-BKI sector for a year or two.

What's the result of those flight? I do not wish to comment further....

Most international flights out of BKI are still there. TPE, KHH, NRT, KIX (only MH051), MNL, CEB, HKG, CAN, ICN, SIN, BWN (MH got really pathetic schedule to BWN, most people prefer BI, which offers 11x weekly flights).

Non-stop international flights out of BKI that have gone are PVG, XMN, DVO, BPN, MDC, BKK (by TG), SYD (by AO).

By the way, CZ & MU have regular charter flights to BKI from various cities in China.

Non-stop international flights out of BKI that have gone are PVG, XMN, DVO, BPN, MDC, BKK (by TG), SYD (by AO).

Did TG ever fly BKK-BKI ??? :o

Must have been a long time ago, in that case; inclined to think, you meant BKK-BWN here (which route I flew once in 1999)...

Did TG ever fly BKK-BKI ??? :o

Yes, it is within my living memory too :rolleyes:

Didn't last very long though - we had plentiful supplies of Thai durian during the period !

BKI to any destination other then orient route is not forcible as it could not sustain the low pax.

Classic chicken or egg scenario ! Do you wait for pax demand to 'grow' until it justifies flights between city pairs or do you start flying the route first and gradually develop the demand ?

In case of BKI, doubt very much if there would be as many Taiwanese, Koreans around town nowadays if not for MH pioneering efforts years ago. Hongkies are different cause BKI-HKG was well established decades ago, but still with MH and KA both having a go at it, their numbers speak for themselves (yes, literally !)

As for Aussies, their numbers appear less now since AO dropped out - not for want of pax load mind you, but yield I understand. Perhaps BKI-SYD/MEL-BKI is just the job for AK, now they're considering long hauls apparently. :rolleyes:

On the bright side, new airlines will introduce more new routes from/to KUL, Aeroflot??, Transaero, EY, Finnair, Cebu, Tiger, Bangkok, etc :yahoo:

With the relatively small population, poor connection and low net income, long haul is not feasible for BKI currently.

Believe BKI should be focusing to be a regional hub serving Borneo, Southern Philippines and North West Indonesia, with a few trunk routes to BKK, HKG, SIN, CAN and KUL before even thinking of long haul. Tourists from China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan can be well served by charter flights.

:drinks:

AZ is in such a bad shape, don't count on them to start flying to Malaysia; I bet it will be MH metal with AZ code-share; same goes for the SA code-share (although it would be nice to see the A340's at KUL)...

All major European airlines are member of Alliance and aren’t interested to code share with MH except KLM. MH doesn’t has much choice but to work with a bankrupt airline like AZ.

AZ is state control and poorly run; perhaps is a perfect partner for MH.

With the relatively small population, poor connection and low net income, long haul is not feasible for BKI currently.

Most traffics here are O&D, hardly any connecting ones. May be just a few to TWU & SDK, other tourist spots can be reach by taxi or bus.

Believe BKI should be focusing to be a regional hub serving Borneo, Southern Philippines and North West Indonesia, with a few trunk routes to BKK, HKG, SIN, CAN and KUL before even thinking of long haul. Tourists from China, Korea, Japan and Taiwan can be well served by charter flights.

I don't think there is a huge demand from Southern Philippines, only from the north. Currently there are 9x weekly flights between BKI/MNL(CRK). 2x weely by MH 734 & daily flight by AK 733.

There is no flight to North West Indonesia at the moment. All MH-operated flight to China (HKG-daily, CAN-4x weekly), South Korea (ICN-2x weekly), Japan (NRT-2x weekly, KIX-2x weekly MH051), Taiwan (TPE-daily, KHH-daily) are all scheduled flights.

MAS should buy the 738 a.s.a.p so that they can launch daily non-stop flight between BKI/ICN (there are 10x weekly flights between these cities now, so i believe there is a huge demand) and some other cities in the north.

AZ is state control and poorly run; perhaps is a perfect partner for MH.

:D

Edited by Isaac

MAS should buy the 738 a.s.a.p so that they can launch daily non-stop flight between BKI/ICN (there are 10x weekly flights between these cities now, so i believe there is a huge demand) and some other cities in the north.

Well one B738 will cost between USD$66 million and USD$75 million (Source: Boeing) :o

Having MAS order one will be a miracle :yahoo:

I wanted to see a 738 in MAS livery again :yahoo:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Well one B738 will cost between USD$66 million and USD$75 million (Source: Boeing) :o

Having MAS order one will be a miracle :yahoo:

I wanted to see a 738 in MAS livery again :yahoo:

Well said, they've done a BIG miracle ordering a380 which cost $240 million each, with a total of 6. (source: CNN)

For me, not dropping anymore routes is good enough...

Chan

Edited by Chan CS

Most traffics here are O&D, hardly any connecting ones. May be just a few to TWU & SDK, other tourist spots can be reach by taxi or bus.

I don't think there is a huge demand from Southern Philippines, only from the north. Currently there are 9x weekly flights between BKI/MNL(CRK). 2x weely by MH 734 & daily flight by AK 733.

There is no flight to North West Indonesia at the moment. All MH-operated flight to China (HKG-daily, CAN-4x weekly), South Korea (ICN-2x weekly), Japan (NRT-2x weekly, KIX-2x weekly MH051), Taiwan (TPE-daily, KHH-daily) are all scheduled flights.

:D

If we judge market potential with MH route can be disastrous. A good example is MH’s BKI/MNL. AK load on BKI/CRK really put MH marketing department to shame.

Most Malaysians under estimated the market potential and spending power of Indonesians and Philippinos. Believe there are enough transit pax to justify daily ERJ or CRJ to major towns like Cebu, Menado, Davao, Makasar, etc if not 735.

Given a choice, premium pax from Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China won’t choose MH flight to KUL via BKI as it not direct, hence these flight are for low yield tourists. Premium pax disembark at BKI are mostly rich Sabahans.

Guess flying to Indonesia and Philippines are less prestigious, hence won’t be bother by MH.

Given a choice, premium pax from Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China won’t choose MH flight to KUL via BKI as it not direct, hence these flight are for low yield tourists.

Actually these flights are not really low yield as many thought (even myself). Unless you are travelling in group, the tickets are very expensive. Almost the same as KUL (most international flights from BKI are shorter).

Edited by Isaac

I think MH should reconsider their routing for the BNE route. It used to be KUL-BNE-AKL-BNE-KUL route at one point.

Then it was changed to a dedicated service and now its back on a tag on with SYD. I think SYD is an important route for MH and with the extension to BNE and then to KUL after that does not seem very attractive. Perhaps they are running out of aircrafts now that they have leased or sold some ?

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think it was SYD-KCH, which was rather short lived. MAS has never flown SYD-BKI. AO did operate the SYD-BKI sector for a year or two.

Most international flights out of BKI are still there. TPE, KHH, NRT, KIX (only MH051), MNL, CEB, HKG, CAN, ICN, SIN, BWN (MH got really pathetic schedule to BWN, most people prefer BI, which offers 11x weekly flights).

By the way, CZ & MU have regular charter flights to BKI from various cities in China.

SYD-KCH was a really said story... there wasn't enough time for teh route to mature yet and MAS came up with the planned to scrapped all the long-haul routes. :angry:

From what I see... I think MAS is a bit biased... sorry to say this but I am just pointing out what I think. First all when they mentioned abut the route Rationalisation plan. they said all long-haul flights or International flights will be operated out of KUL hence KCH-PER vv, SYD-KCH, FRA-KUL-KCH, KCH-PNK has all been suspended. And from my understanding KCH-PER has been very successful for at the beggining it was only a once weekly flight and soon it was upgraded to twice weekly flights. :angry:

and from what I see all the BKI international routes are still going on. I just feel that this is a bit unfair to Kuchingites and Sarawakians on the whole. :angry:

two short-lived route would be KCH-BPN and KCH-MEL vv.

anyone has any idea why KA suspended their route to KCH?? is there any chance they will revive the route again direct non-stop I mean.

SYD-KCH was a really said story... there wasn't enough time for teh route to mature yet and MAS came up with the planned to scrapped all the long-haul routes. :angry:

From what I see... I think MAS is a bit biased... sorry to say this but I am just pointing out what I think. First all when they mentioned abut the route Rationalisation plan. they said all long-haul flights or International flights will be operated out of KUL hence KCH-PER vv, SYD-KCH, FRA-KUL-KCH, KCH-PNK has all been suspended. And from my understanding KCH-PER has been very successful for at the beggining it was only a once weekly flight and soon it was upgraded to twice weekly flights. :angry:

and from what I see all the BKI international routes are still going on. I just feel that this is a bit unfair to Kuchingites and Sarawakians on the whole. :angry:

two short-lived route would be KCH-BPN and KCH-MEL vv.

anyone has any idea why KA suspended their route to KCH?? is there any chance they will revive the route again direct non-stop I mean.

KA now operates KCH-BKI-HKG flight under code-share basis with MH. For KCH-PNK route,It was related to bureaucracy problems among the Indonesian authorities,as it was mentioned by my former industrial training supervisor,Mr.Abdul Rahman Hassan,as he's former PNK station manager before being transferred to SBW.I do have a copy of 'Proposed Reinstatement of Local MAS staff in Pontianak',which was given by my former industrial training supervisor during my training period with MH last year.

Here's some og the quotes from the proposal on the PNK-KCH v.v. :

I am of the opinion that MAS should reconsider a twice weekly PNK-KCH v.v. services (Day 5 & 7) utilizing B734 aircraft.The underlying factors that support this are potential business opporturnities such as MICE nad the opporturnities to be grabbed by other carriers such as AK from this vaccum.They might operate JHB-PNK v.v. and the implications of KCH-KUL will be quite drastic.

To implement this,the local airport authority (Angkasa Pura II) and MAS ground handler (Gapura Angkasa) should be brought in for round table talks.I am confident they would extend fullest support to MAS as their financial positions are also affected when MAS stops to operate into PNK.

From here,it had mentioned about the upgrading of PNK-KCH v.v. from F50 to B734,but it never came into reality.Bureaucracy problems,especially from the Indonesian airport authority is the main problem.He had discussed about it with MH Sarawak & West Kalimantan Manager,Mr.Shauqi Ahmad,but later there were no news about it until i heard the news that MH is officially withdrawed from PNK.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

I think MH should reconsider their routing for the BNE route.

The competition along the Kangaroo Route is very fierce, so having a stop like SYD-BNE-KUL and LHR-LGK-KUL may deter some passengers from choosing MAS when there's other alternatives around. MAS could have fiddle around with AKL to merge their BNE operations, rather than messing around with their flagship route LHR-KUL-SYD.

Ever wonder why MAS still fly to numerous international destinations from BKI, or the fact that BKI now (or used to) host a number of foreign airlines like KE, KA, BI, AO, QF (charter), PR, FAT (Taiwan), Uniair (Taiwan) etc? KCH on the other hand never come close to that in the recent years, so if we are talking about MAS not "being fair" towards KCH/Sarawak, then how would you explain the lack of foreign airlines in KCH?

Three reasons that put BKI at an advantage over KCH:

1. Tourism

Sabah is heavily markated as a tourist destination especially for beach holidays. Huge number of Taiwanese, mainland Chinese, HKongers, Japanese, Koreans, Australians etc flock to the state every year. I don't intend to play down on Sarawak's tourism industry but let's face it, beach holiday is what most tourists seek more, compared to what Sarawak has largely to offer i.e. rainforest, caves, ethnic culture etc. Sarawak has more of a niche market rather than mass-tourism that we see in Sabah.

2. Economy

Again, not intending to play down on Sarawak economic importance but in this aspect, Sabah gets an extra point too. BKI is close to the oil & gas industry of Borneo, which centres around MYY, Brunei, LBU and BKI, all of which has either Petronas or Shell presence (or both). Nearby LBU is also an international offshore financial centre (IOFC), and the logging industry of Sandakan is among Malaysia's largest (if not THE largest).

3. Location

Geographically KCH is at a disadvantage (or advantage, depending how you see it) being located about half way between 2 of MAS hubs of KUL and BKI. For westbound flights (e.g. Europe), it makes more business sense to have all services to fly from KUL alone, as any flights originating from East Malaysia would have to bypass the Peninsular anyway. Similarly for eastbound flights (e.g. Japan), many routes will pass close to Sabah airspace which makes it an ideal hub for East Asian operations. An exception would be southbound flights to Australia, where KCH seem to have a slight advantage in terms of the flight path. But judging on the importance of Australia routes for MAS, i'm glad that now all Europe-KUL-Australia operations (except BNE/SYD) are all nonstops. I know KCH-PER has its fair share of traffic, but for the sake of hub operation in KUL and connectivity to the rest of MAS network, this route should not be revived. Let AK or JQ handle this if they think it's viable.

Sorry to sound rather "anti-KCH", but I just don't think it makes much business sense for MAS to continue medium-to-longhaul flights from KCH.

Edited by Keno Omar