MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ken K. Kour

No New Routes for MAS Next Year

I do agree with the points stated by you,Keno.Yes,BKI do have advantages than KCH,but as for me,KCH also had it's own advantages too.

During the KCH-PER days,most of the Sarawakians studying in Perth preferred to take this route,instead of going to KUL first.This is because it could save them lots of time and also money too.Even Batavia Air is operating KCH-PNK-CGK,utilizing their B732,which is once served using F28.

However,with JQ is flying to KUL this Sept and also the formation of AirAsia X,It is hoped that KCH-PER will be reconsidered either by both sides.

The competition along the Kangaroo Route is very fierce, so having a stop like SYD-BNE-KUL and LHR-LGK-KUL may deter some passengers from choosing MAS when there's other alternatives around. MAS could have fiddle around with AKL to merge their BNE operations, rather than messing around with their flagship route LHR-KUL-SYD.

Ever wonder why MAS still fly to numerous international destinations from BKI, or the fact that BKI now (or used to) host a number of foreign airlines like KE, KA, BI, AO, QF (charter), PR, FAT (Taiwan), Uniair (Taiwan) etc? KCH on the other hand never come close to that in the recent years, so if we are talking about MAS not "being fair" towards KCH/Sarawak, then how would you explain the lack of foreign airlines in KCH?

Three reasons that put BKI at an advantage over KCH:

1. Tourism

Sabah is heavily markated as a tourist destination especially for beach holidays. Huge number of Taiwanese, mainland Chinese, HKongers, Japanese, Koreans, Australians etc flock to the state every year. I don't intend to play down on Sarawak's tourism industry but let's face it, beach holiday is what most tourists seek more, compared to what Sarawak has largely to offer i.e. rainforest, caves, ethnic culture etc. Sarawak has more of a niche market rather than mass-tourism that we see in Sabah.

2. Economy

Again, not intending to play down on Sarawak economic importance but in this aspect, Sabah gets an extra point too. BKI is close to the oil & gas industry of Borneo, which centres around MYY, Brunei, LBU and BKI, all of which has either Petronas or Shell presence (or both). Nearby LBU is also an international offshore financial centre (IOFC), and the logging industry of Sandakan is among Malaysia's largest (if not THE largest).

3. Location

Geographically KCH is at a disadvantage (or advantage, depending how you see it) being located about half way between 2 of MAS hubs of KUL and BKI. For westbound flights (e.g. Europe), it makes more business sense to have all services to fly from KUL alone, as any flights originating from East Malaysia would have to bypass the Peninsular anyway. Similarly for eastbound flights (e.g. Japan), many routes will pass close to Sabah airspace which makes it an ideal hub for East Asian operations. An exception would be southbound flights to Australia, where KCH seem to have a slight advantage in terms of the flight path. But judging on the importance of Australia routes for MAS, i'm glad that now all Europe-KUL-Australia operations (except BNE/SYD) are all nonstops. I know KCH-PER has its fair share of traffic, but for the sake of hub operation in KUL and connectivity to the rest of MAS network, this route should not be revived. Let AK or JQ handle this if they think it's viable.

Sorry to sound rather "anti-KCH", but I just don't think it makes much business sense for MAS to continue medium-to-longhaul flights from KCH.

you quite good points there. Now on the question why there isn't any foreign airlines coming into KCH.... well I guess put it this way. from what I heard basically it is hard for foreign airlines to get the landing rights into KCH. And I jst hope the government down here in Sarawak and the federal government will work hard together to get more foreign airlines to fly direct into KCH. Since MAS is not keen to do it, I believe other airlines should be given a chance.

Silk Air and Batavia Air is thriving in KCH I believe. Late last year Silk Air added its frequency into KCH from 4x weekly to 5x weekly. Batavia Air is opeating its B737-200 into KCH. So I have my fingers crossed in hopes that the tourism minister here will talk to JQ to operate into KCH. Since they are offering Low fares I believe this will attract more people to come.

Eco-tourism is also picking, I believe tourist who visits Sabah not only want to enjoy the beaches they want to understand more about the culture. In Kuching we offer a fair share of nice beaches, it is just that we are still no that well-known but we are gaining recognition. There are things that are offered down in here in KCH that KK knot offer. Kuching itself is rich with history and it is uniquely the blend of old and modern. Most of the historical building are very well preserved. So again there will be a fair share of tourist who wants to experience this but the problem is getting here is a hassle because there is not much connection. :sorry:

Silk Air and Batavia Air is thriving in KCH I believe. Late last year Silk Air added its frequency into KCH from 4x weekly to 5x weekly. Batavia Air is opeating its B737-200 into KCH. So I have my fingers crossed in hopes that the tourism minister here will talk to JQ to operate into KCH. Since they are offering Low fares I believe this will attract more people to come.

Eco-tourism is also picking, I believe tourist who visits Sabah not only want to enjoy the beaches they want to understand more about the culture. In Kuching we offer a fair share of nice beaches, it is just that we are still no that well-known but we are gaining recognition. There are things that are offered down in here in KCH that KK knot offer. Kuching itself is rich with history and it is uniquely the blend of old and modern. Most of the historical building are very well preserved. So again there will be a fair share of tourist who wants to experience this but the problem is getting here is a hassle because there is not much connection. :sorry:

You're right,Edwin.Now MI is becoming a frequent visitors to KCH,thanks to their 5x weekly flight.This is quite good actually for KCH.

Sarawak is mostly focusing on eco-biotourism,and it is indeed with the launch of 'Sarawak Eco-biotourism Year' in year 2003 (if i'm not mistaken :rolleyes: ),and now Sarawak is began to concentrating on MICE (Meetings,International Conventions & Exhibition) with the formation of Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB).As a graduate with major in Hospitality and Tourism Management,I think that Sarawak Government had done their best;only luck and support was not on their side,that's all. :)