MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Arthur W.

MASwings Twin Otter Crashed in Kudat

It could probably use a wider and longer runway with parallel taxiway, and an aerobridge, just my two pence.

There was a passing reference in one of local papers today that gahmen IS currently upgrading KDT

No mention of what upgrade is ongoing though :)

I thought you doubted that there was even a 90-year old onboard given how relatively harsh the cabin is inflight.

News has it now he was 69 instead

RIP regardless

Going off tangent here - do not underestimate what the 90's folks can still get up to

My neighbour (90+) still drives herself around about town and in some regards is in better shape than this battered mid-aged being here :)

Got this photo from a friend.

1380770_10201449366150001_1751880744_n.j

Looks like Mulyadir Fitri's CSI work is spot on.

Edited by Radzi

RIP to those who perished. Sad day for Malaysian aviation.

With the ATR crash in Laos, it is time we have improved weather information so that pilots can make better informed decisions. These two crashes were the result of the planes being blown out of the sky by unusually strong wind conditions.

RIP to those who perished. Sad day for Malaysian aviation.

With the ATR crash in Laos, it is time we have improved weather information so that pilots can make better informed decisions. These two crashes were the result of the planes being blown out of the sky by unusually strong wind conditions.

Until printed in black and white on a formal investigative inquiry, such is hearsay. A contributing factor no doubt, but at this point not definitively a probable cause. Hope the report is publicized...

There is a reason i have kicked this topic into life again.

Because, i am wondering.

I has been awhile since this crash happened and there is no news whatsoever from the Malaysian DCA as to what happened and lessons learned.

Let me first say, i do not know how the Malaysian DCA conduct its aircrash investigations and on what timeline they are prepared to inform the publick, or more importantly, the flying community, of their findings.

In other parts of the world, North America has it's NTSB and Europe has it's counterpart, there is a published timeframe upon when the investigation authority must come up with at least a provisionary report as to what happened. So far, i did no see anything of the sort as published by the malaysian DCA.

Now, lets first conclude that investigating a serious airliner crash is no small potato. it requires indepth knowledge of all aspects of airline operations, ranging from crew behaviour, operating procedures, training and licensing, to aircraft handling, aircraft specific characteristics , ATC, and post crash rescue services.

It will take time to come to a comprehensive conclusion and i have no doubt that the good people at DCA Putrajaya have the knowledge and capabilities to conclude this investigation within ICAO parameters.

What we have here is, the aircarft crash site is known, the aircraft itself is recovered, there are withesses, and, with all due respect, the Captain of the aircraft was seen in pictures to walk away from the crash, althoug with a little bit of help from first scene rescue responders.

What i am implicating here is that the Malaysiuan DCA has first hand witnesses, flight crew explanations and wreckage examination to its disposal.

Hence my question, is nothing known yet and is there no clue whatsoever why this has happened and why this aircraft ended up on that particular rooftop.

From an observations point of view, as a longterm aviator, who was not there at the time and certainly not in the cockpit, when it happened, it seems to me hard to believe that after a few weeks after the accident, with all above parameters available, there is no word of the Malaysian DCA as to what may have happpened. The crash site is known, the crashed aircraft is recovered and available for technical examination. The pilot in command is available for questioning and there are numerous withnesses. What else would be needed one could ask. Time, would be the answer, but, if what is available at the moment, see above, could there not be a first probale cause be established.?

I stand to be corrected, as i do not know how the Malaysian DCA conduct it's investigations, but, given all the evidence available, could there not be a prelimany report?

I am open for responses, but, please, no conspiracy theories.

With usual regards

A.v.S.

Ok finally it is out. At least they did publish it to the public and not keep it among their circle.

Hm.. no wonder CIMB man Nazir called to enhance English language. Civil servants are too BM orientated, so English not being their first language they will make mistakes and the report doesn't flow too well but it's still readable. I guess the report reflects where our Nation's English level is right now. And I have a feeling that level is going downhill in the future.

SPM from 2016 onwards will need a pass in English apart from BM and History to qualify the SPM cert. But are the students ready...?!

Not just the level of English... attention to details is lacking...saw a couple of factual errors as well...

Somewhere in the paragraphs there's a mention of 270kt wind. Incredible...

SPM from 2016 onwards will need a pass in English apart from BM and History to qualify the SPM cert. But are the students ready...?!

A pass in SPM English means nothing. Anyone who can construct a complete sentence can scrape through with a B.

Sorry for OT.

Seriously guys... for many of you who grew up in Malaysia, even if the students had English as a medium in their education... do you really think they can completely do away with profound local language influence? Let alone using English as a second language.

I am not saying everyone will grow up to have substandard language. The harsh reality is that Malaysia is not the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada or the USA, where native English speakers and culture are found. I doubt Malaysia offers a total English speaking environment (not even Singapore)...

In countries where English is not an official language, they first publish a report in their local language and let the English translator to do the work. Perhaps they should have done that.

Edited by S V Choong

Two travelers that I met in Indonesia back in June, one a French, and another one an Indian commented that they had a rather pleasant experience travelling in Malaysia in terms of communicating with the locals. Almost everybody they met spoke at least basic English or at the very least understood what they were trying to ask. It was in stark contrast to their experience in Indonesia and Thailand. So hey, I guess we are not that bad.

Way OT

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

Two travelers that I met in Indonesia back in June, one a French, and another one an Indian commented that they had a rather pleasant experience travelling in Malaysia in terms of communicating with the locals. Almost everybody they met spoke at least basic English or at the very least understood what they were trying to ask. It was in stark contrast to their experience in Indonesia and Thailand. So hey, I guess we are not that bad.

Way OT

Depends what you wanna be. Not every country has to be good in English. Countries who are usually good in English where English is not a native language is either a small place, a former (British) colony or a place dying for foreign (US and Aust.) investments.

Countries like China, Japan, Korea and etc do not need to be English and travellers gets by just fine. There are tourists out there who seek for authenticity when travelling to a foreign land. I happen to be one. I think it is okay if some of them can speak just very basic English and you get to experience their 'untouch' culture first hand. Folks like me do not like having every road signs or signboards in a country have English written all over it, as those countries are likely to be a highly westernised or anglocised ones.

As strange as it may be, I have met quite a few Indonesian Chinese who speaks very good American English in Jakarta, indonesia despite they have lived in Indonesia all their life. Those tourist who are complaining that the Thais and Indonesian do not speak good English should either get a life or travel within their Anglocised zones, just pure ignorance I reckon.

Edited by S V Choong

Depends what you wanna be. Not every country has to be good in English. Countries who are usually good in English where English is not a native language is either a small place, a former (British) colony or a place dying for foreign (US and Aust.) investments.

Countries like China, Japan, Korea and etc do not need to be English and travellers gets by just fine. There are tourists out there who seek for authenticity when travelling to a foreign land. I happen to be one. I think it is okay if some of them can speak just very basic English and you get to experience their 'untouch' culture first hand. Folks like me do not like having every road signs or signboards in a country have English written all over it, as those countries are likely to be a highly westernised or anglocised ones.

As strange as it may be, I have met quite a few Indonesian Chinese who speaks very good American English in Jakarta, indonesia despite they have lived in Indonesia all their life. Those tourist who are complaining that the Thais and Indonesian do not speak good English should either get a life or travel within their Anglocised zones, just pure ignorance I reckon.

Ooops.. press the wrong button on my mobile.

Here here S V Choong

I didn't actually read the whole report, but based on Mulyadir's comment on quality of English in the report, it concerns us all that not having full grasp of written (plus oral) skills of English can undermine credibility of information presented to international audience.

Some MW members ( actually most of them) do not speak English very well too. So, stop pointing towards civil servants only.

Yes, but somehow some managed to convince themselves that they do!

It is hard to speak and write good English in countries like Malaysia, where ethnic composition is complicated than most other countries. Having a non-western cultural background too, makes it even more of a challenge.

I think MW standards are quite good. Period.