MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Arthur W.

MASwings Twin Otter Crashed in Kudat

Ok. Did a bit of CSI work in Google Earth.

From this pic,

1395202_10151923121249168_709435231_n.jp

I deduced that it is at this location,

1385122_10151923121149168_354946953_n.jp

Due to the colour of the pink gazebo and the roof. You can also see the road bump from other pics.

But the thing is, it is located here in relation to the airport.

885817_10151923121289168_1798438135_o.jp

The crash landing was almost perpendicular to the runway. There is no way lt landed short or overshot.

Good job of pinpoint the accident scene bro. Im imposibble the aircraft skidded or landed short of the runway. It is perpendicular to the runway.

In my opinion, the pilots were trying to land the aircraft on Runway 22 and strong crosswind blowing from 090 pushing the aircraft off course.

Edited by GeO

Was in Kudat recently and it has been quite gusty of late. Probably crash due to strong crosswinds during approach? It is after all a light aircraft.

I'm more inclined to believe it crashed during takeoff to SDK. MH's website suggests it arrived safely and 2 mins ahead of time at 1443. The departure to SDK was supposed to be at 1500.

90's pax is reported died.

I do not believe that, not with a twin otter

(telly news few moments ago said one fatality so far)

update as of 7pm

[MEDIA STATEMENT: 7.00pm] MH3002 Incident at Kudat, Sabah

Malaysia Airlines regretfully confirms that there has been one fatality following the MASwings' Twin Otter, DHC6 9M-MDM MH3002 crash incident. The total number of injuries is five. The total number of passengers and crew on-board were 16 persons. The crash happened in the vicinity of Kudat Airport at 2.50pm on 10th October 2013.

Malaysia Airlines’ Group Chief Executive Officer/MASwings Chairman, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya is on his way to Kota Kinabalu for a press conference to address the incident at 10.00pm today, 10 October 2013 at the Ming Garden Hotel, Kota Kinabalu. This is the first incident involving MASwings at Kudat.

Updates on the injured passengers will be confirmed in the upcoming statement.

The cause of the incident is still under investigation. Focus of the airline is on the well-being of the passengers, crew and other affected parties. Malaysia Airlines together with MASwings will also continue to monitor the situation at the crash site and update on the situation.

Families of passengers who were on-board may call +603- 78841234 for further enquiries.

The media hotline is +603- 87871276. The contact number in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah is +088-515320

RIP. I pray speedy recovery for injured crew and passengers. A real sad day for all those involved, and for Malaysian aviation.

The ageing fleet need urgent replacement but the government only made an announcement to renew the fleet by early 2013. On average, MASwings current DHC6 is approximately 30 years old. What took the government so long to decide on this replacement? Has the government fail to prioritize or sideline the need of the rural folks?

The ageing fleet need urgent replacement but the government only made an announcement to renew the fleet by early 2013. On average, MASwings current DHC6 is approximately 30 years old. What took the government so long to decide on this replacement? Has the government fail to prioritize or sideline the need of the rural folks?

Why do people immediately assume that 30 year old planes are inherently unsafe? In America 40 year old DC-9s still flies passengers millions of miles safely without a hitch. Heck, 60-70 year old DC-3s are still flying safely across much more treacherous surroundings than Kudat!

I seriously doubt the Twotter's age is a key factor in this.

What took the government so long to decide on this replacement? Has the government fail to prioritize or sideline the need of the rural folks?

Because they need RM 100 million a year to maintain the private jets. http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19432

and the NST had this interesting report:Lucky escape for mom and son in the house

http://www.nst.com.my/latest/maswings-crash-in-kudat-lucky-escape-for-mom-and-son-in-the-house-1.372820

KOTA KINABALU: A mother and her son escaped death when a MASWings aircraft failed to take off from the Kudat airport and ploughed into the side of their single-storey house in the nearby Kampung Sin San.

Their house is located just behind Kudat Airport.

House owner Qayyum Amirdad, 51, said his wife and 11-year old son were in the living room when they heard a loud noise before the aircraft crashed into the side of their house.

"The plane came from the back and hit our bedroom, dining hall and car porch," he said when contacted.

Qayyum who was not at home at the time, said he was shocked when he heard the news and rushed home to find firefighters and police at the scene assisting the passengers out from the plane.

He said one of the aircraft fans was still spinning at the time.

"My wife and son were still inside the house and they were panicking so I told them to leave through the back door.

They were panic and I told them to leave the house through the back door," he said.

The crash claimed the life of a man in his 90's while two other people were still in critical condition and three others injured.

the casualty cant be the co-pilot?if this report is correct man in his 90's

Gives Kudat that really small town feel

Plane crashes into house

Owner get to know about crash, rushes home

..... one of the aircraft fans was still spinning at the time

He said one of the aircraft fans was still spinning at the time.

Aviation reporting in Malaysia has hit a new low.

Maybe it's time to upgrade Kudat Airport?

It could probably use a wider and longer runway with parallel taxiway, and an aerobridge, just my two pence.

Maybe it's time to upgrade Kudat Airport?

I Google search Kudat airport. The Anduki Heliport in Seria has a more modern terminal.

Back to topic- Sad to hear the 90 year old passenger died.

I Google search Kudat airport. The Anduki Heliport in Seria has a more modern terminal.

anduki heliport had opened a new terminal in these recent years, while kudat airport i assume is still the same old terminal since many years ago

Why do people immediately assume that 30 year old planes are inherently unsafe? In America 40 year old DC-9s still flies passengers millions of miles safely without a hitch. Heck, 60-70 year old DC-3s are still flying safely across much more treacherous surroundings than Kudat!

I seriously doubt the Twotter's age is a key factor in this.

That has already pointed out the message that I wanted to get across as regards your post.

That's because there's substantially more traffic at Anduki....and if you want to compare Anduki...compare it with Kerteh.

That has already pointed out the message that I wanted to get across as regards your post.

I find it highly LUDICROUS that anyone would look down upon Malaysian aviation standards. If our aviation oversight is lacking surely we'd have more incidents & we'd be banned from EU/US.

Just saw on someone's twitter, @DhesiBahaRaja (seems to be a professor. Just read his last few tweets for updates on the victims).

The co-pilot is alive but in the Red Zone (Critical). The rest seems to be stable. Co-pilot has been transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

My apologies for the earlier misinformation.

Edited by S M Tang

My apologies for my earlier reply - misread your comment entirely

I thought you doubted that there was even a 90-year old onboard given how relatively harsh the cabin is inflight.

Just saw on someone's twitter, @DhesiBahaRaja (seems to be a professor. Just read his last few tweets for updates on the victims).

The co-pilot is alive but in the Red Zone (Critical). The rest seems to be stable. Co-pilot has been transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

My apologies for the earlier misinformation.

The First Officer is reported to be Marc Joel Bansh. @marcjoelbansh on Twitter

I find it highly LUDICROUS that anyone would look down upon Malaysian aviation standards. If our aviation oversight is lacking surely we'd have more incidents & we'd be banned from EU/US.

I concur. DCA is very strict in maintaining this. Remember the AOC brouhaha issue with AirAsia?

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri