MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

Aeroflot is now talking with their lessor to offload 1 A320, 21 A321, 13 B777-300ER and 8 A330-300. Perhaps MH can consider their B77W to replace all A380s.

Well, anything could happen. One can dream....lolx

I think that before MH can think of leasing the B77W, they have to get rid of their A388s first! As there does not seem to be anyone wanting to buy a used A388, they may just have to continue using them...

It is good to see that they are beginning to use it for charters so that they don't have to fly empty on scheduled services. They may have unlocked an A380 charter market that nobody thought was there!

CH just mentioned that MAS now need more "smaller-sized" planes and that will mean that MH is unlikely to lease the bigger 777-300ERs in the interim and I suppose to save money MH still could make do with their current 772s - but it would be best that the current cabins be refurbished to look modern. Seems then if its a smaller medium to long haul aircraft, then the 787-9 would be a better opetion than the slightly bigger A350.

CH just mentioned that MAS now need more "smaller-sized" planes and that will mean that MH is unlikely to lease the bigger 777-300ERs in the interim and I suppose to save money MH still could make do with their current 772s - but it would be best that the current cabins be refurbished to look modern. Seems then if its a smaller medium to long haul aircraft, then the 787-9 would be a better opetion than the slightly bigger A350.

But looking back on CM statement "747-400 is not to be replaced by A380 or 748"..

So i think 77W is on CM consideration perhaps.

But looking back on CM statement "747-400 is not to be replaced by A380 or 748"..

So i think 77W is on CM consideration perhaps.

B77W is about to become obsolete. B777-8X or A350-1000 might be the more modern aircraft to acquire.

But 777X will not be available until at least 2019.

MAB newco are refurbishing the B772s and it will be a good time to replace the refurbished B772s in 5 or 6 years.

If they are going to upgrade the 777 biz class, I assume the old economy seats has to go as well?

However news report only says Biz

Malaysia Airlines will upgrade business class on its Airbus A330 and Boeing 777 jets with an all-new design as part of a wide-ranging overhaul of the troubled airline.

Fully lie-flat seats will replace the current angled flat beds and "sloping sleepers" on all international jets, promises newly-minted CEO Chris Mueller, who faces the hard task of turning MAS around.

The new Malaysia Airlines business class seats will be "a world-class leading lie-flat seat", says Mueller, with "very large dimensions, and be positioned above the industry standard for business class."

While MAS will retain its Airbus A380 service between Kuala Lumpur and London, Mueller would not be drawn on the fate of other routes, although he expected to reveal the scope of its revised network by the end of this month.

"We will reduce the frequency [of flights] on some routes and in some cases cases abandon the route altogether."

Mueller also tells Australian Business Traveller that some of the airline's Golden Lounge airport lounges around the world will close, but thoser which remain open – including its flagship lounges at Kuala Lumpur, plus London Heathrow and Melbourne – will receive a much-needed upgrade.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-airlines-all-new-business-class-for-a330s-boeing-777s

Arrived KUL at around 9 this morning, there were at least 4 772 resting in front of the hangar. Retrofitting exercise perhaps?

I thought it's only being introduced in 2016? It won't take that long to refurbish an aircraft.

There were already route cuts and aircraft substitutions which rendered many 772s as surplus to requirements. The 772s at the hangars are probably on their way out.

There were already route cuts and aircraft substitutions which rendered many 772s as surplus to requirements. The 772s at the hangars are probably on their way out.

You might be right... MRN does not have any engines.

Not sure if this is owned or leased - if owned, it might be an aircraft that is earmarked for upgrade, hence engines were removed for overhaul?

web.jpg

By some rumors the B772 fleet will be entirely retired by the end of january 2016.

B772 stop plying DPS route in December. Thought want to ride in it.

I'm still doing DPS this month.

So Captain, what's your next assignment then?

Don't know.

Know anybody who want to hire a B777 captain?

Capt, it will be a sad day if MH were to retire the B777. That will probably mean that an order for the B777-8X or 9X will be more unlikely.

If the B772 goes, MH will only have B738s, A333s and A380s.

Sorry to hear Radzi. May the force be with you.

SQ has stopped hiring for now, there sin't enough job even for local last we heard.

EK, QR and EY are taking in massive number of B777 type rated flight deck crew.

Just few days ago, EK took 3 B777 (two B77W and one B77F) on a single day. And they have another 160 B777 on order. 0.0