MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

Capt Radzi, i know Scoot are desperately looking for 777/787 experienced captain. Then there's Vietnam.

Scoot's last B772ER was phased out few days ago with newest 787 delivered.

Capt, maybe consider moving to ME??

Hopefully MH can consider some of B77W now being offloaded by KQ and SU. They are very young, some less than a year old.

its best to work for Scoot flying its new 787s or with SQ as fristly s'pore is very close and just a 40 min hop to go back on yr off days and the sin$ is now 3 times that of rm. ME is still a 7.5 hours flight away and not possible to go back often and living there is not exaclty that great esp in the long hot wave of summer where temp goes beyond 40C

Hopefully MH can consider some of B77W now being offloaded by KQ and SU. They are very young, some less than a year old.

The 77W is an A380 class plane. No point having both in the fleet when the actual requirement is for a 787/350XWB class plane.

its best to work for Scoot flying its new 787s or with SQ as fristly s'pore is very close and just a 40 min hop to go back on yr off days and the sin$ is now 3 times that of rm. ME is still a 7.5 hours flight away and not possible to go back often and living there is not exaclty that great esp in the long hot wave of summer where temp goes beyond 40C

Hehehe, us keyboard warriors giving advice to a senior B777 Captain! ;)

I think it won't be too much of a problem for someone with B777 type rating to convert to the B787 type rating. So SQ/TZ should be a serious contender.

The 77W is an A380 class plane. No point having both in the fleet when the actual requirement is for a 787/350XWB class plane.

Agree - besides the B77W is really a short term solution as it will become uncompetitive once more B787/A350 aircraft are delivered.

I think that MH should seriously look at the A350-900 as its platform for long range (over 10 hours flight time) destinations. The A333s are still competitive for flights of around 6-8 hours.

But they still have to solve the problem of the A380 - to date, no one wants to buy them. IMHO, they should deploy the A380 to Amsterdam as loads are good.

I understand that many Dutch tour operators use MH from AMS for their packaged tours to SE Asia. So more capacity should be easier to sell. Although yields may not be that great, it may still be better to have the A380s flying than parked in the hangar....

Scoot's last B772ER was phased out few days ago with newest 787 delivered.

Capt, maybe consider moving to ME??

So, whats going on at KQ and SU? How come they are forgoing their 77Ws? Too large for their requirements?

So, whats going on at KQ and SU? How come they are forgoing their 77Ws? Too large for their requirements?

For KQ, their 777 (both 77E and 77W) seems too large to be filled even for their LHR and AMS route. They are happy with their 788 performance.

I don't know about SU. Maybe the recent news about SU buying UN shares one of the factor SU disposing their widebody planes (A330,77W) ,and also the Russian economic crisis really effecting SU's financial situation.

BTW there are only 6 B777 operating for newco.

A E L M P Q

Quite surprised to see MRA being kept, not MRN.

MRL belongs to Bank of China, wonder if MH has bought it outright.

The rest are owned: MRA, MRE, MRM, MRP, and MRQ.

Maybe they just want to use the remaining hours/cycles left in the airframe before scheduled maintenance.

Maybe they just want to use the remaining hours/cycles left in the airframe before scheduled maintenance.

MRL belongs to Bank of China, wonder if MH has bought it outright.

The rest are owned: MRA, MRE, MRM, MRP, and MRQ.

Makes you wonder how many ex-MH 77E has gone to the scrap heap...

Makes you wonder how many ex-MH 77E has gone to the scrap heap...

-MRI- MRK were both scrapped.

Even ex-SQ B777 recently retired are finding hard to find new home.

-MRI- MRK were both scrapped.

Even ex-SQ B777 recently retired are finding hard to find new home.

Heck...they are not even 20 years old.. ! Guess they probably worth a lot more with their spare parts than reselling it.

They have been having massive delays on the B772 routes. Last night, MH20 was delayed from 2340LT to 0435LT; the previous day, MH16 was delayed till yesterday morning. I wonder why is there a delay when they have quite a few B772s around. I noticed that they have a few B772s on the Haj flights. These massive delays does not help to rebuild their image they are trying to recreate. :sorry:

772 & 77E are obsolete. Even Boeing is not producing them anymore, focusing instead on 77W & 77F.

Being obsolete does not mean that there is no demand for it - the B734 is obsolete too, but there is a good used market for these aircraft. The A380 is current but no one wants to buy secondhand frames.

If there is no demand, market value is zero. I guess that is why most airlines are scrapping B777s when they retire them.

They have been having massive delays on the B772 routes. Last night, MH20 was delayed from 2340LT to 0435LT; the previous day, MH16 was delayed till yesterday morning. I wonder why is there a delay when they have quite a few B772s around. I noticed that they have a few B772s on the Haj flights. These massive delays does not help to rebuild their image they are trying to recreate. :sorry:

If MAS has not transferred or assigned those parked/stored aircraft to MAB, then they cannot use them!

772 & 77E are obsolete. Even Boeing is not producing them anymore, focusing instead on 77W & 77F.

True, but conversion to cargo should be in the pipeline for earlier gen of B777, that is provided the plane is built for conversion at first place.

The small cargo door maybe a factor for some not to convert though.

True, but conversion to cargo should be in the pipeline for earlier gen of B777, that is provided the plane is built for conversion at first place.

The small cargo door maybe a factor for some not to convert though.

Actually the carbon fibre floor support on pax 777s is a big factor as to why the 777BCF doesn't exist. It'll be very costly to refit the entire plane.

Not that Boeing didn't try to launch a program.

If I am not mistaken, the B777 leases are coming to and end in 2015-2016 - renewing them will not be something that MH would consider as the cabins will also need to be refurbished. That may be the reason why MH is presently retaining 6 frames.

Aren't most of them leased from Penerbangan Malaysia? I would guess it would be easier for them to extend the leases on those planes for a short period, especially since the market for used 77E is basically non-existing.

Aren't most of them leased from Penerbangan Malaysia? I would guess it would be easier for them to extend the leases on those planes for a short period, especially since the market for used 77E is basically non-existing.

Most of them are leased from GECAS, CIT, MCAP, Aercap, BOC, etc.

Only MRE, MRP & MRQ are leased from Penerbangan Malaysia.

Most of them are leased from GECAS, CIT, MCAP, Aercap, BOC, etc.

Only MRE, MRP & MRQ are leased from Penerbangan Malaysia.

I would think 4 would be enough for AMS/CDG daily service. Looking at Airfleets, MRA is owned outright.

Have any B738's been returned and not taken over by the new company?

In comparison to other carriers around the world still operated the B777's all MH needs to do is refurbish and revitalise them and they'd be fine for a good few years service. Many of the worlds top tier airlines still operate them, they are certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Also their A333's aren't that old either I think -MTA hasn't even reached it's 5th birthday.

Honestly they are stuck with the 6 A380's they might as well just accept that and deploy them on markets like SYD or MEL-KUL-LHR, offer seamless one-stop connections and yield the flights accordingly to fill them.

It's encouraging to see the A359's coming on-line, great news for the staff, the industry and passengers alike.

So are -MRB, C, F, G, H, I, N all parked outside the MH hangars at KL?

-MRJ and -MRK have been already scrapped I believe in the US and at TLV respectively.

Edited by Tom/PER

Have any B738's been returned and not taken over by the new company?

In comparison to other carriers around the world still operated the B777's all MH needs to do is refurbish and revitalise them and they'd be fine for a good few years service. Many of the worlds top tier airlines still operate them, they are certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Also their A333's aren't that old either I think -MTA hasn't even reached it's 5th birthday.

Honestly they are stuck with the 6 A380's they might as well just accept that and deploy them on markets like SYD or MEL-KUL-LHR, offer seamless one-stop connections and yield the flights accordingly to fill them.

It's encouraging to see the A359's coming on-line, great news for the staff, the industry and passengers alike.

I was planespotting at KLIA on 31 Aug and 1 September - there was a noticeable drop in the number of flights operated by MH compared to June (during our 10th Anniversary spotting session).

It would appear that there are a lot of B737s that are surplus to requirements even though MH has switched some routes from wide bodies to B737s.

Other airlines that refurbished B777s might own them outright and all costs of acquisition have been paid for - so they don't need to pay monthly leasing fees. As such, the cashflow implications is much lower than for leased aircraft. For MH to retain B777 frames, they need to own them outright to make economic sense to refurbish cabins.

I think MH has only until the end of this year to prove that all current routes and frequencies are viable. Q4 is traditionally the strongest quarter and if they cannot make money in Q4, then they will find it impossible in Q1-Q3. So it is really a make or break time for MH - it has been in ICU for over a year.

We will know only what shape MAB will take next year. I agree that the A350-900 is something good for staff and customers to look forward too in the intervening period.

Edited by flee

Have they gotten rid of the A380?

We are looking quite a few years ahead - past 2020. The B777X will not arrive till then and any order now will mean you join the Q after the first 300+ orders are delivered.

MAB pilots told This Week in Asia-Pacific Aviation in July that the carrier’s 13 remaining B777-200ERs would be scrapped or sold by early next year.

what happened to the new seats on the 777

MAB pilots told This Week in Asia-Pacific Aviation in July that the carrier’s 13 remaining B777-200ERs would be scrapped or sold by early next year.

what happened to the new seats on the 777

The new seats were not mentioned by MAS, it was a fanciful thinking by us keyboard warriors who are quite sympathetic to the 77Es here.

You heard it here first :)

Edited by S V Choong