MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
D Singh

MAS offers sub par uncompetitive products

-MAS still offers a crap hard product (with no prospects for improvement as far as I know) - cannot be, it is the best hard product available (I know no better because I do not compare with others)

-Piss poor route network (which will only continue to shrink) - cannot be, it is the best route network possible (I know no better because I do not compare with others)

-Little integration with One World (its website can barely sell a codeshare)[\I] - cannot be, it is optimally integrated with fellow alliance partners (I know no better because I do not compare with others)

My apologies for having initiated the comparison with other airlines, perhaps I was misled by the word 'uncompetitive' incorporated into the topic title of this thread. Maybe it is possible after all to have a discussion about competitiveness of something without comparison with peers ?!! :)

In the case of MH, no it is not healthy competition

Healthy competition is when you go into a fight knowing you reap the rewards in success and bear the consequences if otherwise

MH has never had to bear consequences of their folly, with sugar daddy ever ready to bail them out invest further

(yes, it is apparent now quite a few employees will have to bear the consequence this time round, but the show goes on)

And if you think all those low low fares made available whilst MH goes in flooding the market with extra capacity are a bonus for us consumers, be reminded where the very many billions that have been poured in and is continually being poured in, comes from

:)

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Haha. BC, careful there. Just about to start a forest fire here as there are plenty of tree-huggers around this site.

your are not being relevant here.... if you read carefully D Singh's post, it was a comparison between old and current MH. Let me take the first point as an example:

-MAS still offers a crap hard product (with no prospects for improvement as far as I know) Is this true?Of course not. With the introduction of new aircrafts, there are some improvements on MAS' hard products. Its that simple... no one talk about whether MAS's new hard products will lead them to profitability, etc, etc... Its not that you are not allowed to make a comparison between MAS and other airlines, but D Singh's post that i replied to didnt talk about that. People talked about apple then suddenly you replied about orange, no matter how correct and precise your fact about orange is, you already wrong.

How far back in history do you like to compare with MH products, 1, 3, 5, 10, 20 or 30 years? If you go back far enough, beside technology advancement (e.g. PTV), you will realise MH current offering is subpar. On A380, A33E and 738, beside PTV, seat pitch is reduced.

Edited by KK Lee

My DOH-HKG flight was supposed to have been on QR metal

About a month after entry into OW, we were informed we will be switched over to a CX flight instead, our original QR flight seemingly having been scrapped (QR814)

I cannot be certain if the arrangement with fellow OW partner was pre-arranged, but they (QR and CX) do appear to be able to get their partnership up and running very quickly

Ermm.. are you sure? QR joined OW in Oct 2013 but only signed codeshare deal with CX on Mar 2014. Hmm..

http://web.archive.org/web/20140529161537/http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar-airways-signs-code-share-deal-with-cathay-pacific-547169.html

The new 738s are good with its interiors but sadly the seat pitch is still very tight and at times seems even smaller than its previous 734s. And MAS have been using its 738s to fly to HK and Guangzhou, Taipei - which is quite a tight fit for 4 to 5 hrs flight.

The new 738s are good with its interiors but sadly the seat pitch is still very tight and at times seems even smaller than its previous 734s. And MAS have been using its 738s to fly to HK and Guangzhou, Taipei - which is quite a tight fit for 4 to 5 hrs flight.

and DEL!

And this is against the A380s SQ flies to DEL and HKG

To be fair to MH, SQ operates B772, B77W, and A380 to DEL. B772, B77W, A333 and A380 to HKG....erm, not that this will help MH anyhow. So ya......aduima, MH....

The new 738 has a seat pitch of 30" vs 32" of the 734. That's why I prefer sitting in the 734.

I miss seat 14A & K on the 734

Ermm.. are you sure? QR joined OW in Oct 2013 but only signed codeshare deal with CX on Mar 2014. Hmm..

Hmmm ....... indeed, unfortunately that is how I remembered it as :sorry:

So im going to drag up this old thread that I started, just for fun. I wonder what the MAS apologists that wrote in this thread have to say now.

-MAS still offers a crap hard product (with no prospects for improvement as far as I know)

-Piss poor route network (which will only continue to shrink)

-Little integration with One World (its website can barely sell a codeshare)

The unfortunate disasters have contributed nothing to this situation. MAS has been run into the ground long before 2014. I view this RM 6 billion "turn around" plan as a joke. That money would be better used as wall paper than given to MAS where it will basically be lighted on fire! Malaysia is not a super wealthy country 6 billion could do a lot more good than being pissed away on this sorry excuse for an airline.

MAS is a lost cause they should just let the damn thing die and start from scratch. Or better yet the government should stay the hell out of the aviation business and let some private individual who actually has something between his ears come into the market.

So now they are getting rid of the A380's we are back to Shitty ancient 772's and their crap seats. As well as whats sure to be an ever more reduced network.

What in the hell are people getting for this 6 Billion Ringgit investment??? If the Carrier that emerges from this "turn around" still doesnt make money (it wont) and now doesnt even fly anywhere!!! Literally lighting the money on fire would be better atleast it would generate WARMTH!!! But oh wait this is Malaysia so more heat is hardly required. Perhaps Wallpaper would be a more practical use for 6B

MAS is bloody useless and needs to die!

So now they are getting rid of the A380's we are back to Shitty ancient 772's and their crap seats.

Not really, even those are on the way out.

As well as whats sure to be an ever more reduced network.

If there's a better time for proper integration with oneworld, this would be it especially since the big boss of oneworld BA is returning.

What in the hell are people getting for this 6 Billion Ringgit investment???

Basically MAS post MSA, mk. II. And back then they were making money. The hiccups started after Tajudin Ramli took over.

If the Carrier that emerges from this "turn around" still doesnt make money (it wont) and now doesnt even fly anywhere!!!

You don't need to fly everywhere to make money. Just to places where it's certain you'll get more revenue than costs.

MAS is bloody useless and needs to die!

And die it will. Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

I know friends who are frequent fliers with MAs have decided to give up MAS after hearing the A380 sell off rumor

Uncompetitive ? I think before any of you comment about this being crap etc - I would be keen on finding out your exact travel patterns - frequency / class of service / route. Just very curious :)

for me simple...for domestic compare MH with OD...whats d difference of flying MH with OD which gives complimentary check in baggage and also refreshments at a fraction of the price...for international ive travelled on asian, middle east, european, african airlines and again just couldnt figure out what are MH selling points compared to the others....ive seen many unsatisfied foreign travellers on MH flight be it for the meals..service or the old aircraft...quiet embarrassed with it as MH supposed to be the flag carrier which reflects good image of the nation....

OD for domestic is definitely better than MAS if you were to compare the legroom and also the availability of IFE. The fare is also cheaper

OD for domestic is definitely better than MAS if you were to compare the legroom and also the availability of IFE. The fare is also cheaper

OD's jet service could be better timed though - its sole KBR jet service departs from KUL at 0640 and back at KUL by 0915. As much as I would like to try out their 739ER I am not going to rush myself to KUL by 0555.

Their ATR services are pretty decent and frequent, though I would prefer FY if their fares are similar - FY has better baggage allowance than OD's ATR services.

i am an enrich platinum member, i am based in bali and i fly mh frequently for business because it offers the best price (during its very regularly announced promos). a promo business class to paris is roughly usd 2000 which is dirt cheap and i travel there minimum 4 times a year. i also travel to narita, bangkok and ho chi minh quite often and again mh offers the best price for business class fare from bali. since i fly mh so frequently per year for the price i paid i'm quite happy with the product i receive. yes they do not change their inflight menu for the last year or so but at least it has chef on call for paris and tokyo. but i'm tired of the same offering on the dps-kul, kul-bkk and kul-sgn legs, it's the same menu for the last year year. but hey for the price i paid i can live with it. what i find to be inconsistent is actually the inflight crew. i also fly with ga and sq quite often and i have to be frank that garuda crew is by far the best one in the sky for business class pax (i heard for first class ga blew sq out of the water with the inflight services and offerings). last year i received a very unpleasant remarks from mh crew when i was flying mh during ramadhan, she said 'you should be fasting because its ramadhan' i explained to her that indonesia has a sizeable christian community and i am a catholic eventhough i am not a chinese descent. and she didn't even apologize! alamak! i was not happy with that comment at all and i wrote to mh customer service via email and receive a BS automatic response. during the promos that mh constantly running i will always fly with mh. but with the rumors of all the a380s being sold i now have to decide if i want to fly cx or qatar for my flights to paris to retain my oneworld emerald status.

I'm so sorry to hear about your story Jade; anyhow the cabin crew should apologize to you.

Have you tried making a booking on MAS Website? Tried making a booking for KUL - JHB this May and found that the air fare is now RM487.60 one way inclusive of taxes!

Also tried making a booking for KUL - SDK for May and the fare is RM1,215.85 inclusive of taxes one way.

This is the MH Flex fare. No other option seem to be available. Well, looks like MAS is trying to increase the price of their ticket. Don't think this will help them reduce the losses with their empty aircraft.

Have you tried making a booking on MAS Website? Tried making a booking for KUL - JHB this May and found that the air fare is now RM487.60 one way inclusive of taxes!

Also tried making a booking for KUL - SDK for May and the fare is RM1,215.85 inclusive of taxes one way.

This is the MH Flex fare. No other option seem to be available. Well, looks like MAS is trying to increase the price of their ticket. Don't think this will help them reduce the losses with their empty aircraft.

They're always having promos for domestic flights. Maybe you missed the previous promo. Or, perhaps, you're checking a super-peak period?