Dear YM Raja Azmi and members of CCMT,
INCIDENT REPORT NO.3
Airport: KUL (KLIA)
Occurrence Date, Time: 22 August 2019, 0200 hrs
Accident/Incident: KLIA TAMS Network Outage*
Summary of Incident
ITD reported major intermittent connection of TAMS network (total failure of secondary Core Switch 102 that was activated at 1700hrs) at 2015hrs, 21 August 2019 after primary Core Switch 101 experiencing intermittent connections due self re-boot from 1420 hrs since incident reported).
Core Switch 101 was reactivated at 0200hrs (which is still undergoing trouble-shooting)when attempts to stablise Core Switch 102 connectivity since 2000 hrs.
KLIA War Room has been activated at AMC at 0500 hrs. MA Sepang has since activated operational contigencies since the incindent occured.
At 1145 hrs, the Board has appointed Pn Jamilah DatoHashim to chair the Crisis Meeting at KLIA War Room.
It has reported at 1400 hrs that klia2 is also experiencing IT disruption for the following systems: FIDS & BIDS, GAS, Info Broker, FDPS, Ground Surveillance Radar, SAP, OIS.
Status of Action as at 1830, 22 August 2019:
Recovery of Operations
1. (Stategy B from previous update) ITD is activating 1 unit replica switch from CISCO to immediately swap with faulty unit- expected connection recovery at 1900 hrs, this does not require configuration.
2. Status of KLIA: All affected systems will be down during the replacement.
3. Status of klia2: Affected systems currently is FIMA, GAS, FDPS (West Tower)
Activation of Contingencies
1. Activated contingencies is ongoing as stated in previous status update.
1. Next media release will be targeted to be released at 2000 hrs
2. Social media updates are providing continuous updates since the first media release.
3. Corp comm is monitoring negative reporting have been observed from socialmedia and media front.
Impact on MAHB Staff
1. Total manpower on ground to manage terminal situation at klia2 is 339 staff (operations on shift, special teams and volunteers) is as follows:
2. Total manpower on ground to manage terminal situation at KLIA is 611 staff (operations on shift, special teams and volunteers) is as follows:
3. MA Sepang Admin are providing food for all staff who are on duty.
Impact on Airlines/ Flights
1. All Airlines at KLIA are impacted especially MH
2. MH has declared Code Amber (Crisis) and deployed additional manpower to support operations
3. Airlines have activated manual flight planning and manual fallback check-in procedure.
4. 68 delayed flights have been reported due to the compounding effects of the critical operational systems being down.
Impact on Passengers
1. Terminal congestion has build up due to activation of fallback procedures, slower processing of pax.
2. Late arrivals by passengers at gate are reported, but difficulty to track as info must be done on ground.
3. There is very few cases of misflights by pax but reaccomodated to next flight.
4. MA Sepang has deployed refreshments (1000 buns and 2000 mineral water) to subdue queing passengers.
Impact to Airport Accesssibility/ Kerbside
Traffic management is within normal and no congestion has been observed.