MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
khairuddin abu hanifah

Garuda Indonesia Non-Stop Service from London Heathrow to Jakarta and Denpasar Bali

I suspect they are going to reroute Jakarta-London via Kuala Namu (Medan). Less operational restrictions.

I suspect they are going to reroute Jakarta-London via Kuala Namu (Medan). Less operational restrictions.

Looks like it. I wonder why?

There is no statement or explanation whatsoever from the airline about the cancellation here in Indonesia as well, and I guess this topic has been rather hot only in forums. However, the signs of the route not going to materialize have actually been there from the beginning i.e. flights almost not bookable online, no straightforward marketing campaign for the route as yet, airline directors saying different dates of the first flight in some interviews etc.

While many in Indonesia and Garuda lovers would love to see the route happens, I think the management is doing the right thing to postpone/cancel the route if the route is never going to work. A non-stop London flight, which is part of a Kangaroo route, on a spanking new premium 77W might sound very prestigious and will surely generate a lot of publicity but again, business calculation comes first and GA just cannot afford to waste the potential of their 77W on a route which is untested and probably not going to generate too much yield for them. The UK has never been a traditional strong market out of CGK, and with BA's rumoured return, the once exciting plan might sound too risky to proceed.

With a new HND day-time slot in hand, a much improved performance on the CGK-AUH-AMS route, and encouraging SLF on their North Asian / Australian routes, GA do actually have many options for their flagship 77W instead of stretching it on London at the current period. Formal entry to Skyteam is not too far away, and they can always review the plan in the future when they have more planes and code-shares, and maybe considers a slot in LHR?

Again, nobody knows the real reason behind the silent, apparent cancellation/postponement, but whatever the reason is, the logics have been there from the start that LON may not be the best step forward for GA at the moment. We'd rather read news about them sustaining their profits than GA-bashing articles about a financial bloodbath. (Believe) Those bankers at the helm have brought this airline back from the dead, they should know what to do with this one.

That's a shame. I would definitely have given SYD-CGK-LGW a go. Completely flat beds all the way (take note MH)!

Garuda Indonesia postpones Gatwick route

Garuda Indonesia has announced it is postponing the launch of its London Gatwick to Jakarta route until May 2014.

The new service was set to become a useful route for UK travellers heading to Australia via Jakarta.

It is scheduled to be a five-times weekly service, reports routesonline.com.

Business Traveller will bring you further information as it becomes available.

The news comes a day after we reported that British Airways will likely resume flights to Jakarta before the end of the year.

Indonesia's air transport director, Djoko Murjatmodjo, told the Jakarta Post that six new foreign carriers, including BA, would shortly begin services to the country.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/garuda-indonesia-to-postpone-gatwick-route

"Garuda says that the 28 year-old runway and apron at Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta Airport are not strong enough to carry the Boeing 777 if the aircraft was to operate with a full load of passengers, cargo and fuel sufficient for the 7,300 mile flight."

http://www.ausbt.com.au/garuda-postpones-new-london-boeing-777-service-to-may-2014?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper

So now we know the reason.

Huh? How can a full load on a 747 be heavier than a 777?

I believe the loading to the runway is subject to the axle load from the landing gear, not the entire aircraft weight.

I remember I was told KLIA runway / taxiway was designed to MD11 loading as it has the greatest axle load

Huh? How can a full load on a 747 be heavier than a 777?

No it is not heavier than a 777. From what I read in indoflyer, the runway is not strong enough for a fully loaded 777 with 314 pax, 11 tonne of cargo and fuel required to fly ultra long haul to London. They can still do the but with payload restrictions (-39 pax, -all cargo and a transit somewhere). No XWBs flies long haul from CGK, the furthest being a full 747 to JED. In a way it's logical and tecnically making a lot of sense but I really think this is not the only reason for the delay as such technical matters should and must have been understood far earlier. Most aviation enthusiasts in Indonesia believe the main reason is still business, where GA (finally, late as usual) realized that the 77W will make more money somewhere else. 2nd half of the year is traditionally a busy season for GA and the 77W could stand by for a more flexible utilizations (they will have 4 by year end). May 2014 is still almost a year away, and they will have that much time to further raise public awareness of the new route, more people would have sampled the revamped premium services and ample time to negotiate a Heathrow slot from future SkyTeam members (read: KL/AF)

Now that all that's been said by the new marketing director Erik Meijer at the interview I mentioned in my previous post had been proven true, I think I am going to stick to my gut opinion that GA will indeed land at Heathrow as a SkyTeam member when they eventually fly to London come May 2014 (or later). Again, disappointing of GA but while London is never an ideal destination for them, May 2014 is a lot more ideal than November 2013 IF they really have to launch the route.

To put it more simple... Every airport pavement has its own pcn..which stands for pavement condition index...in this case..CGK's runway pcn is not sufficient to handle a full load 77W...

So they bought an aircraft that can't fully operate from their own homebase to their newly and heavily promoted destination with heavily promoted new product?? Can't imagine if MAS did the same mistake.

So they bought an aircraft that can't fully operate from their own homebase to their newly and heavily promoted destination with heavily promoted new product?? Can't imagine if MAS did the same mistake.

I like to point out that B77W is also operated on to CGK, served by airlines like EK and KE. though both DXB and ICN is less than 9 hours flight from Jakarta.

That's what I thought as well. Imagine the backlash if MAHB was late to upgrade KLIA for A380. Or BKK and SIN without A380-ready gate, taxiway and runway, knowing their homebase carriers will operate a new type.

That's what I thought as well. Imagine the backlash if MAHB was late to upgrade KLIA for A380. Or BKK and SIN without A380-ready gate, taxiway and runway, knowing their homebase carriers will operate a new type.

The thing is they've been waiting for 777 since 1997, delayed delivery due to recession and all and actually replaced the initial order with 737s. Strange that you're expecting something but not being ready for it. But from what I heard they'll deploy them on Australia route.

I like to point out that B77W is also operated on to CGK, served by airlines like EK and KE. though both DXB and ICN is less than 9 hours flight from Jakarta.

Yes. What I meant was its not CGK wasnt ready for 77W, It's just that GIA has been promoting 77W with new route to London served by this type. Quite a blot in otherwise a very strong few years for GIA. Expanding and rebranding, 77W delivery is the crowning achievement after the long wait.

Those watching Liverpool play on the box now will note it being advertised Garuda wil be back in London 'end 2013' :)

MH is slipping, service is going downhill, the last few reviews on airline quality has been terrible. Don't know if this is some concerted effort to bring down MH's ratings so that they can be downgraded to 4 star airline or a true reflection of their service. This is the time for MH to build up on their reputation and work harder to re establish their position as a premium carrier.

They better start thinking about refurbishing their hard product as well. The longer they wait with their new wide body purchase and cabin refurbishment, the more they will lose out

A TR aboard GA's 77W in F, service to NRT. Hardware and software, they are definitely way above MH now

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/243586/

That was my first impression after reading the trip report. Definitely the "wow" factor is there.

Service delivery makes MH pale by comparison.

I must say, I am impressed with GA's FC based on his report. The seats look very similar to TG's ex-Jet Airways B77W suites and they are great - extremely private and the bed is comfortable.

IME, MH doesn't offers a "wow" FC service - their meal service is *very* similar to the business class - the only difference is an additional choice of main course and different starter and dessert. No personal assistant, their first class lounge food is very similar to the business class lounge (with the exception of 3-4 made to order items), and they serve Spritzer water instead of say Evian or Perrier (first world problems...I know).

Garuda Indonesia has re-launched services between Jakarta and London Gatwick and is aiming to boost frequencies to daily by next summer.

The new 5X-weekly route, which launched Sept. 8, will operate as an onward service from Amsterdam. It will be served by a Garuda Boeing 777-300ER, configured with 314 seats in a three-class layout.

“We hope by next summer we will be able to offer daily, nonstop flights,” Garuda Indonesia UK GM Jubi Prasetyo told ATW during an event at London’s Gatwick Airport to mark the route launch. “If we get a good response, we will launch other European destinations.”

I was helping a friend who was planning a graduation trip for her family (6 people in total) and GA is the cheapest option on her preferred date at £609 per person all inclusive KUL-CGK-AMS-LGW vv.

Although their new B77W is impressive but with only 314 seats, I am not sure if it will be a profitable operation. EK put 427 seats in their 2 class B77Ws, 113 seats more than GA. This kind of aircraft layout commands a premium airfares.

GA's recent lost is attributed mainly by its B77W operation.

I think it will be very popular among A.Netters.

For a 1 hour flight on a spanking new B77W:

First Class: £742.54

Business Class: £242.54

Economy Class: £89.54

The Economy fares is very good value.