MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

Has MAS retired any of its fleet since the introduction of its ML* & MX* B738 & MT* A330-300 ? It seems to me MAS has not gathered pace to phase its old fleet. Now, with some of its routes are taken over by FY, does MAS has any surplus aircraft at the moment ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Election into oneworld could be the delaying factor? MH's new order of 10 B738 at the Paris Air Show recently was due to them realised that 'they need more planes more quickly due to oneworld'.

But currently MH not adding new destination even add extra frequency within their B737 sector at least. So they now operate lots of B737 family.

Only what I can think, could be some the Triple in workshop now for C-Checks, perhaps? :pardon:

By joining into oneworld alliance, do MH need to explore every destination in ASEAN like AK? Or tapping Aussie (Qantas), India (Kingfisher) or China (Cathay) market within B738 range? :pardon: :pardon: :pardon:

Edited by Ashmil Abd Ghani

So far, none

The earliest are the A330s which will be gradually phased out from next year. Then again, I can't verify which reg.

The first of 6 aircraft that MH intended to retire by the end of this month (2 B742F, 1 B744, 3 B734) is identified.

There are 3 MH B734's in SZB and 9M-MQC has had its Tail Logo Removed and a temp sticker for its registration sticked on. I suspect this will be the first 734 leaving the fleet.

Thanks to Raj for the info.

The first of 6 aircraft that MH intended to retire by the end of this month (2 B742F, 1 B744, 3 B734) is identified.

Thanks to Raj for the info.

MQ series will go first? Maybe due to longer operation hours I guess!

Let me check whether I've been flying on MQC or not.....?

Ahaaa...yeap! Been on that one!

Edited by affendi osman

It's mentioned there "sold, and stored". Why would someone buy a plane and then store in.

Almost 20 years service. Hmm...

Stored for scrapping most probably. Many B737 Jurassic, Classics and earlier generation of A320 are now stored awaiting scrapping. The continuous production lines of A320 and B737 has further push down the market of 2nd hand aircraft.

It is said that the B744 fleet will be fully retired from MH by the end of 2012, not 2016 as originally planned.

It is said that the B744 fleet will be fully retired from MH by the end of 2012, not 2016 as originally planned.

Counted 10 MH widebody (744, A333 and 772) idling at KUL recently.

You noticed too eh ? :)

I also remember a Firefly jet lying about too - it all adds up !

The B744 was being used for flight from KUL to LHR, AMS and S.Africa/S.America. AMS is being downgraded to the B722, the S.Africa/S.American flights are being ceased and LHR is being upgraded to the A380. I don't think hte B744 will be fully retired by the end of 2012 but definitely sometime in 2013. I'm sure LHR will get the twice-daily A380 service and I'm hoping SYD will get the A380 at least on one of the daily flights.

Yeah. Saw that too when I was transiting through KUL on my way to and from HKG recently.

KLIA is littered with MH widebodies. It would better for them to let it idle instead of running loss-making routes, IMO.

The Fireflyz B737-430 9M-FZA is now gone from apron area.

Well MH should not fly these widebodies if they cannot cover the operating costs and make a profit. With aviation fuel prices well over US$ 100 per barrel, it would save a lot of money!

I am not sure how much in lease payments they have to pay PMB.

I heard in the future MAS might be operating B738, A333 and A380 only.. Is it true? They're phasing out B772 too?

I heard in the future MAS might be operating B738, A333 and A380 only.. Is it true? They're phasing out B772 too?

I don't think MH will phase out anytime soon as some of them are quite young. MH also bought two B777s off from PMB few years back if I am not mistaken. There should be a bridging aircraft between A330 and A380. B777 fits in perfectly. Most A380 are doing this now. LH uses B748 and A346 to bridge the gap.