MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

I heard in the future MAS might be operating B738, A333 and A380 only.. Is it true? They're phasing out B772 too?

Actually, during the ex-MD's time, they were planning to operate only 3 aircraft types to reduce complexity. I think that with AirAsia's preference for simplicity, this plan may be retained.

B738 will be used for domestic and regional. Regional flights will be upgraded to A333 if demand is high.

B772/A333 will be used as if it was one aircraft type, with B772 operating longer range flights. If demand is higher, MH will just increase frequencies. In future, this combination may be replaced by B787 or A350 models.

A380 will be used for long haul and/or slot constrained airports like LHR and SYD.

Wonder how soon will the replacement order b for 772s . Better act fast as backlog n delivery dates for 350s / dreamliners / 77Ws is increasingly taking longeeeer ! Do remember , flying the antique planes is one of the detterant factor of choosing an airline in this region. Unless of course the amenities n products r consistently upgraded . My last MH 772 flight on business has began showing signs of age .

Given A332 burn less fuel than 772 and MH 772 service to EUR are either low yield or low load; while waiting for 787/A350, MH could have replace 772 with A332.

Given A332 burn less fuel than 772 and MH 772 service to EUR are either low yield or low load; while waiting for 787/A350, MH could have replace 772 with A332.

Don't the new A332's have the range to fly from KUL to Europe non-stop? And is it true that the A332 has better cargo capacity than the B772 as well and it costs less to operate the A332 compared to the B772? It would make much more sense to use the A332 in combination with the A333.

Anyway, spotted an A332F at SYD the other day.

The former 9M-MMM, now N146PA arrived today in Honolulu in a very sorry looking state. It is enroute to MIA from KUL via ROR, MAJ, HNL and OAK.

I wonder if she will reappear in Shaheen colours as her sistership -MQC recently did.

(info from HNLrarebirds)

Edited by Peter Smith

The former 9M-MMM, now N146PA arrived today in Honolulu in a very sorry looking state. It is enroute to MIA from KUL via ROR, MAJ, HNL and OAK.

I wonder if she will reappear in Shaheen colours as her sistership -MQC recently did.

(info from HNLrarebirds)

Maybe they swap whatever parts they can before sending her away.

This is the mentioned bird.

From http://hnlrarebirds.blogspot.com.au/

N146PA_BPA-022912.jpg

As posted by flee in another topic, all old A330-300s and 747s will leave MH fleet by the end of this year, bringing down fleet age to 7.7 years. A330-200 will stay??

Aren't the A332s younger than the A333s? I suppose it would make sense to keep those until they get more of the A33Es delivered so that they can replace those A332s.

Yes, the A332s are about 4 years younger than those A333s that will be retired. All three are leased from ILFC - so it is probable that they will only be returned at the end of their leases.

N146PA has terminated its ferry in Oklahoma City.

Perhaps the intended lessee took note of Waiping's comments up at post #56 and saw JohanZ's posted picture at #57 and decided to call a halt to proceedings ?! :pardon:

Is there an ex-SABENA A330 in the fleet currently?

Is there an ex-SABENA A330 in the fleet currently?

All three A332s currently with MH are ex-Sabenas. They also flew briefly for VG Airlines (later Delsey Airlines) as well:

9M-MKV: OO-SFR

9M-MKW: OO-SFS

9M-MKX: OO-SFQ

MH also had two ex-SR A332s which are now with VN:

9M-MKT: HB-IQF, now VN-A370

9M-MKU: HB-IQE, now VN-A369

Edited by Y. J. Foo

All three A332s currently with MH are ex-Sabenas. They also flew briefly for VG Airlines (later Delsey Airlines) as well:

9M-MKV: OO-SFR

9M-MKW: OO-SFS

9M-MKX: OO-SFQ

MH also had two ex-SR A332s which are now with VN:

9M-MKT: HB-IQF, now VN-A370

9M-MKU: HB-IQE, now VN-A369

Thanks for the information. Just so happened that I remember boarding 1 quite a long time ago. The IFE still show the SABENA logo.

I wonder if Transmile might want to pick up some of the old MH B734s and do a P2F conversion on them? They should cost less to operate than their current B722Fs, right?

P2F seems easy but technically not so. B747-400BCF proved that it is way inferior compare to B747-400F in term of payload and cost per tonnage to carry simply because of the floor design on pax fleet could not take heavy load for freight. In a simple term, additional spars and beams are needed to strengthen the floor board, which implies to heavier empty weight, lesser weight for cargo could be carried and obviously higher operating cost per tonnage carried.

IIRC, CX was the launch customer for BCF and regret to say that today CX is trying to get rid of all BCF for the above reason by selling/leasing to other operators such as AHK and Air China Cargo.

:hi:

Edited by Lock SH

Fortunately, N104K ex 9M-MME, is now heading for Shaheen Air International. It was caught doing test flight at Miami International Airport on March 23rd, 2012.

2086165.jpg

Click here to see large photo.

According to Pakistan Aviation forum, Shaheen Air Interntional will induct 12 B737-400s:

Shaheen Air advertisement in today's (February 19) newspaper celebrating introduction of Boeing 737-400 in airline's fleet.

According to information in a local newspaper, Shaheen Air will acquire a total of 12 Boeing 737-400 aircraft and delivery of all these aircraft will be completed in December 2012. Aircraft will be delivered one per month.

Boeing 737-4H6 (registration N829AR) delivered to Shaheen Air in January is first of these 12 Boeing 737-400s.

Shaheen Air Boeing 737-400 is configured to carry 164 passengers.

Btw, I think before taking photograph for this advertisement, flight attendant should have been asked to remove that identification card tag, the tag is looking odd. The advertisement also shows cabin of Boeing 737-400 recently acquired by Shaheen Air.

The advertisement reads:

"Change of Fleet

Introducing Boeing 737-400s

Now Serving Our Valued Customers

Experience unparallel in-flight hospitality with luxurious interior and your own comfort zone with extra leg space. Sit back and enjoy the delicious cuisine served by our well groomed and smiling flight attendants."

sai_feb19b.jpg

Source: http://www.historyofpia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20021&start=30

Actually the interior looks slightly luxurious than the M&Ms.

Actually the interior looks slightly luxurious than the M&Ms.

Agreed. I like the colour of the seats, very premium. But MH carpet is better IMO ^_^

Former Malaysia Airlines B747-4H6 9M-MPI and 9M-MPJ

Both Al-Wafeer HZ-AWA1 and HZ-AWA2 had been re-registered for Air Atlanta Icelandic. Both are now being leased to Saudi Arabian Airlines.

cn 1091 9M-MPI > HZ-AWA1 > TF-AAE

cn 1130 9M-MPJ > HZ-AWA2 > TF-AAD

Edited by JuliusWong

Fortunately, N104K ex 9M-MME, is now heading for Shaheen Air International. It was caught doing test flight at Miami International Airport on March 23rd, 2012.

2086165.jpg

Click here to see large photo.

According to Pakistan Aviation forum, Shaheen Air Interntional will induct 12 B737-400s:

Shaheen Air advertisement in today's (February 19) newspaper celebrating introduction of Boeing 737-400 in airline's fleet.

According to information in a local newspaper, Shaheen Air will acquire a total of 12 Boeing 737-400 aircraft and delivery of all these aircraft will be completed in December 2012. Aircraft will be delivered one per month.

Boeing 737-4H6 (registration N829AR) delivered to Shaheen Air in January is first of these 12 Boeing 737-400s.

Shaheen Air Boeing 737-400 is configured to carry 164 passengers.

Btw, I think before taking photograph for this advertisement, flight attendant should have been asked to remove that identification card tag, the tag is looking odd. The advertisement also shows cabin of Boeing 737-400 recently acquired by Shaheen Air.

The advertisement reads:

"Change of Fleet

Introducing Boeing 737-400s

Now Serving Our Valued Customers

Experience unparallel in-flight hospitality with luxurious interior and your own comfort zone with extra leg space. Sit back and enjoy the delicious cuisine served by our well groomed and smiling flight attendants."

sai_feb19b.jpg

Source: http://www.historyof...=20021&start=30

Now I know what airline to avoid if I ever find myself in Pakistan :lol:

Now I know what airline to avoid if I ever find myself in Pakistan :lol:

I thought exactly the same thing! LOL!