Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

MAS New Route/Frequency Application

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 Jeremiah Wong

Jeremiah Wong
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

Fukuoka? Nice!!

#42 Mr.Bandit

Mr.Bandit
  • Silver Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

Fukouka is a very nice welcome. Been there at least once per year. Very nice city. Love the calmness

#43 Sii Lw

Sii Lw
  • Facebook Connect
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

If I'm not mistaken, MH used to fly to FUK?

#44 chenfu

chenfu
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

If I'm not mistaken, MH used to fly to FUK?

Yes, during its Golden Days, Nagoya and Fukuoka were part of its extensive network, with tagline "flies to over 100 destinations across 6 continents"

Edited by chenfu, 06 November 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#45 Izanee

Izanee
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:03 AM

MH was the first airline in ASEAN to fly to all 6 continents! They flew to Buenos Aires and Mexico City waaay before any of the ME3 and definitely waaaay ahead of any regional rivals (ASEAN)..
They've flown to Zagreb, Stockholm, Munich, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Beirut, Vienna, Istanbul, Rome, Newark, LAX, Cairo, Brussels, Zurich over the years. Not all at the same time though...

#46 Craig

Craig
  • Gold Member
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Fukuoka? Nice!!

It's a route application, not firm (yet).

MH was the first airline in ASEAN to fly to all 6 continents! They flew to Buenos Aires and Mexico City waaay before any of the ME3 and definitely waaaay ahead of any regional rivals (ASEAN)..
They've flown to Zagreb, Stockholm, Munich, Manchester, Paris, Madrid, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Beirut, Vienna, Istanbul, Rome, Newark, LAX, Cairo, Brussels, Zurich over the years. Not all at the same time though...

MH also flew to Honolulu (way before D7 :P

#47 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Unfortunately, these were unsustainable - they were done for political purposes.

But in those days, frequency was not so important. Routes can be flown only twice weekly. Also, one or more stop flights are not a problem.

#48 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

Vancouver too. And Busan, Dhahran, Karachi, Cape Town, Jo burg, Cairns, Chiangmai, Macau, of course Dubai and other regionals like Ujung Pandang, Padang, Davao, Hatyai, Kaohsiung ... and a few more.

#49 jani

jani
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Vancouver and Mexico City? Whoa.. haha

#50 Kenneth Chong WT

Kenneth Chong WT
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Vancouver too. And Busan, Dhahran, Karachi, Cape Town, Jo burg, Cairns, Chiangmai, Macau, of course Dubai and other regionals like Ujung Pandang, Padang, Davao, Hatyai, Kaohsiung ... and a few more.

Even Busan? Really? Wow!

#51 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

If I recall correctly, Mexico City was a fifth freedom flight served from LAX & was cancelled after the US revoked MH's fifth freedom rights due to complaints by one of the US3.

#52 Craig

Craig
  • Gold Member
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

MH also flew to Malé, Kolkata, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Brisbane, Darwin, Buenos Aires, Kunming, Chengdu (which MH plans to resume), Xi'an, Guilin,  Yogyakarta, Vientiane and Krabi :). Man I feel super old today for remembering those destinations I saw on the KUL/SZB departure board!

Correct. Routing was KUL-TPE-YVR and KUL-TPE-LAX-MEX.

Even Busan? Really? Wow!

Correct too. IIRC, the routing was KUL-SEL-PUS-KUL.

If I recall correctly, Mexico City was a fifth freedom flight served from LAX & was cancelled after the US revoked MH's fifth freedom rights due to complaints by one of the US3.

Incorrect lol. It was the Mexican authorities that revoked MH's fifth freedom rights. MH and US had very liberal air agreements back then (not open skies, but very liberal; US-MY open-skies was signed in 1997). Mexico suspended Malaysia's fifth freedom rights on 01JAN1997. US3 was maybe US10+ when MH served MEX (but also only 2 airlines from each country were allowed to serve a city pair, e.g. only 2 American and 2 Mexican carriers were able to serve LAX-MEX back then).

Edited by Craig, 06 November 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#53 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

MH served Chengdu too? When and what was the flight number?

I know they were serving Kunming with those early leased six-abreast biz class 738s but cant recall Chengdu.

#54 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Unfortunately, these were unsustainable - they were done for political purposes.

But in those days, frequency was not so important. Routes can be flown only twice weekly. Also, one or more stop flights are not a problem.

Believe if MH had serve daily with smaller aircraft like 757/767, some of those legacy routes may have attracted high yield pax and profitable.

In those days, many of MNC pax (e.g. high yield) preferred SQ for more convenience schedule.

#55 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

Correct. Routing was KUL-TPE-YVR

YVR-TPE-KUL is one of my most flown TPAC routes. Oh, if only... :D

I can see how it'd be a huge money loser though. Even SQ can't find a way to make YVR work.

Believe if MH had serve daily with smaller aircraft like 757/767, some of those legacy routes may have attracted high yield pax and profitable.

In those days, many of MNC pax (e.g. high yield) preferred SQ for more convenience schedule.

You don't just pile on the flights and wait for passengers to magically appear. Yes, there might be several business travellers who value daily flights, but to assume that the routes failed purely because of frequency and not introducing an entirely new aircraft family is a bit naive.

When SQ was struggling with 3 weekly SIN-BCN-GRU, what did they do? Hint: they didn't go daily and pray everything would work out.

#56 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

I can see how it'd be a huge money loser though. Even SQ can't find a way to make YVR work.

You don't just pile on the flights and wait for passengers to magically appear. Yes, there might be several business travellers who value daily flights, but to assume that the routes failed purely because of frequency and not introducing an entirely new aircraft family is a bit naive.

When SQ was struggling with 3 weekly SIN-BCN-GRU, what did they do? Hint: they didn't go daily and pray everything would work out.

One thing for certain, MH business model was a failure.

#57 affendi osman

affendi osman
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

MH served Chengdu too? When and what was the flight number?

I know they were serving Kunming with those early leased six-abreast biz class 738s but cant recall Chengdu.

CTU, flown by an A330 and axed during BTP1.

#58 Craig

Craig
  • Gold Member
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

KUL-TPE-YVR only operated twice a week (Wednesdays and Fridays only) - does that work for you :P It's a daytime flight both east and westbound. IIRC, it was MH 98/99. 

CA-SG/MY market is tiny. SQ pretty much relied on fifth freedom ICN-YVR to make the flight worked for them previously.

#59 Jeremiah Wong

Jeremiah Wong
  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

No point dwelling on past success. Look at their state now. They need to do a lot more work to improve.

#60 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,395 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

One thing for certain, MH business model was a failure.

There was no business model - Mahatir visits a country, then promises the host that they will have air links.

This command is then passed on to MH... So MH has to obey, even if it is against its business model. In the end, they just gave up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users