MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

It seems the Airbus test pilots have taken the second bird out for some fun before she enters service :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-18785701

Alamak, ini macam if the Airbus pilots 'tekan minyak' before delivery and add a few cycles to the airframe... is it a good tradeoff between publicity for MH and the aircraft's logbook? The infamous B707 barrel roll comes to mind......

I mean, if I were to purchase a brand new car, I would expect to have near to 0 on the odometer (save for the car being driven up and down the cargo ship).

I assume the formal handover has yet to take place, as she still wears an "F" reg. Touch wood, what would happen if a tailstrike were to occur? Can MAS say to JLeahy "Dude, your flyboys dinged my brand new plane, I tak mau this one, gimmie a new one......"

Just thinking outside the box la.

BTW, this is my first post, so please be gentle sikit la with the flamethrowers....as I quickly don my triple layer Nomex suit..... ;-)

Alamak, ini macam if the Airbus pilots 'tekan minyak' before delivery and add a few cycles to the airframe... is it a good tradeoff between publicity for MH and the aircraft's logbook? The infamous B707 barrel roll comes to mind......

I mean, if I were to purchase a brand new car, I would expect to have near to 0 on the odometer (save for the car being driven up and down the cargo ship).

I assume the formal handover has yet to take place, as she still wears an "F" reg. Touch wood, what would happen if a tailstrike were to occur? Can MAS say to JLeahy "Dude, your flyboys dinged my brand new plane, I tak mau this one, gimmie a new one......"

No worries bro. These moves are almost nothing compared to the stuff test pilots do on proving flights, and even post MRO C or D check. The bird can take it, and much more. Mileage wise, you'd have to see the entire test schedule. But for airplanes, I wouldnt wanna take delivery of any aircraft with '0' on the odometer. In fact, my comfort level increases with the amount of G's the bird has been taken through without damage. You know how it is, bumper kereta tercabut, can always park tepi jalan and curse that proton dealer. If anything were capable to be tercabut on an airplane, I'd want it to come off before i pay.

If damage, MAS will be fully compensated and any dings are borne by Airbus before transfer of title is concluded.

No biggie. In fact, i believe the publicity MAS gained on this little exercise far outweighs the additional cycle (if any above normal proving schedule).

OT but slightly On topic - a few months ago Embraer even did a world tour with one of Frontier's E190s pre-delivery. All part of the plan, and it is all priced in (certain discounts were on offer due to the use) but won't be disclosed. So its a fairly normal thing for a/c pre-delivery to be used for publicity.

Yup, remember when Airbus used one of CX's 330 on their airshow circuit - customer must have been so thrilled, they don't seem to be able to stop ordering the birds since :)

Yes, airlines would die for the honour of being "on show" at a famous air show like Farnborough or Paris. That was why Boeing brought Qatar's B787 to the show - Al Baker sort of "demanded" it!

Yes, airlines would die for the honour of being "on show" at a famous air show .....

Not sure if that was the wisest choice of description considering how dire our national carrier is currently :D

Yes, airlines would die for the honour of being "on show" at a famous air show like Farnborough or Paris. That was why Boeing brought Qatar's B787 to the show - Al Baker sort of "demanded" it!

Free advertising... why not? :)

No worries bro. These moves are almost nothing compared to the stuff test pilots do on proving flights, and even post MRO C or D check. The bird can take it, and much more. Mileage wise, you'd have to see the entire test schedule. But for airplanes, I wouldnt wanna take delivery of any aircraft with '0' on the odometer. In fact, my comfort level increases with the amount of G's the bird has been taken through without damage. You know how it is, bumper kereta tercabut, can always park tepi jalan and curse that proton dealer. If anything were capable to be tercabut on an airplane, I'd want it to come off before i pay.

If damage, MAS will be fully compensated and any dings are borne by Airbus before transfer of title is concluded.

No biggie. In fact, i believe the publicity MAS gained on this little exercise far outweighs the additional cycle (if any above normal proving schedule).

OT but slightly On topic - a few months ago Embraer even did a world tour with one of Frontier's E190s pre-delivery. All part of the plan, and it is all priced in (certain discounts were on offer due to the use) but won't be disclosed. So its a fairly normal thing for a/c pre-delivery to be used for publicity.

Thanks for the reply.

Haha! Seems like the RR TotalCare agreement is similar to QF's 'power by the hour' agreement with RR. In that case, AJ should have asked Airbus to demo a powerback using the #2 and 3 engines. FOD damage? Hello RR - tolong repair, OK? ;-) Mana tau, in case KUL-LHR needs to divert to AOR (my home airport la) one day and there isn't a tug powerful enough in AOR.

Last sentence was meant in jest la. Not even sure if AOR's runway is long/wide enough to handle a A380....

The current A380 business seats do not look very appealing. Even Africa's Arik Air's business class product is very impressive. Looks like first class :acute: http://www.arikair.c...d-Services.aspx

This is because Arik Air Business Class on their A345 was ex Kingfisher Airlines, an airline well-known for its extravagant and luxurious fittings. Those five A345 was built but was never delivered to KF.

This is because Arik Air Business Class on their A345 was ex Kingfisher Airlines, an airline well-known for its extravagant and luxurious fittings. Those five A345 was built but was never delivered to KF.

you are totally right here..it was ex-IT A345,not taken units.

Fly Arik then...Don't fly MH

Jangan marah....sabar...everyone has rights to make comparison and right to choose their choice of airline.......:)

seriously QR's new Business Class is stealing all the lights of MH's Business Class... the wow factor's on QR but who knows MH's recaro seats might be more comfortable... haha :drinks: go MH!!

QR new J class is a reflection of CX's new J class.....I dread thinking that most airlines now are having the same basic concept for their seats, be it in F, J or Y class. Never mind, I will stick to cattle class.....

seriously QR's new Business Class is stealing all the lights of MH's Business Class... the wow factor's on QR but who knows MH's recaro seats might be more comfortable... haha :drinks: go MH!!

Firstly, MH's A380 biz seats are not Recaros. Try Sicma instead.

Secondly, they are not more comfortable, and I think there is a design flaw regarding how the seats' centre-console co-exist with the meal tray table which come into conflict when one tries to recline the seat.

Thanks for the reply.

Haha! Seems like the RR TotalCare agreement is similar to QF's 'power by the hour' agreement with RR. In that case, AJ should have asked Airbus to demo a powerback using the #2 and 3 engines. FOD damage? Hello RR - tolong repair, OK? ;-) Mana tau, in case KUL-LHR needs to divert to AOR (my home airport la) one day and there isn't a tug powerful enough in AOR.

Last sentence was meant in jest la. Not even sure if AOR's runway is long/wide enough to handle a A380....

I just checked Wikipedia.. AOR's runway is 2745m long and according to Wikipedia, A380 MTOW is 2750m so i guess, it isn't long enough to handle A380 :)

Secondly, they are not more comfortable, and I think there is a design flaw regarding how the seats' centre-console co-exist with the meal tray table which come into conflict when one tries to recline the seat.

That is true. I had a quick 3 minute test last week before MH2 boarded. CX new J will beat this very easily. CX Cirrus is awesome

Will get a 13 hour test middle of next month to draw conclusions :)

That is true. I had a quick 3 minute test last week before MH2 boarded. CX new J will beat this very easily. CX Cirrus is awesome

Will get a 13 hour test middle of next month to draw conclusions :)

Please do let us know after the flight. To have a possible design flaw in J seat in flagship A380 .... :(

aiyoyo...why lah MAS? always a few steps behind. by the time they upgrade in 3 years time, others would have done their refurbishment too.

who is it in MAS who decides which seat design they go for? do they not read? can they not do a bit of homework before unveiling their 'flagship' seats?

the whole point of the A380 was to steal premium pax back. if i had to pay the same price, I would fly SQ or EK or QR. i don't even care if it is A380 if the product offered on a A330 is better.

i still hope that MAS will be able to claw their way slowly back. one day, if i earn more money, i will go back to flying with them. in Y of course!

in the meantime, i will have to accept the 500 channels offered on EK Y class.

One should remember that these planes were ordered a long time ago, by PMB.

The previous MAS management probably signed the contracts and there is no way to back out without suffering substantial penalties and further delivery delays. 3 years is probably the minimum period before the cabin can be refurbished (they have already made a minor change with the premium economy seats being replaced by business class seats) - the current management have no choice but to work with what they have inherited.

Please do let us know after the flight. To have a possible design flaw in J seat in flagship A380 .... :(

Sure :)

the short impressions i got of it were not overly bad. Just not cutting edge that's all. Don't get me wrong - just because it's not cutting edge doesn't mean it'll turn out to be a crap product.

Anyway, belum cuba belum tahu - will get quite some miles on them this year and next looking at my forward bookings.

Also will be interesting to compare it with SQ's, EK's and AF's (which i've flown already) and TG's and KE's which i will try in October and December respectively :)

..... the current management have no choice but to work with what they have inherited.

With all due respect, that is one heck of a pathetically lame excuse :p