MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Owh, I won't be in the UK during the public display of Farnborough Airshow on 14-15 July. :(

Fantastic effort if it is true that MNB will be displayed during the event. Should boost MH's image and more publicity to the A380 service to KUL.

http://www.travelwee...a airlines.html

- according to the article, MH 2nd A380 will be on display at Farnborough Airshow, together with QR's latest 787.

From the article -

Ahmad Jauhari said the number of suites could expand. “We are bit short on first class. The decision was made three years ago and it’s too late to do a refit. We will review it in three years,” he said.

I sure hope so.

I am still dying for a trip report. I cannot stand the suspense

Look on the bright side, you're still not dead, and by default still alive :p

It's the experience that counts, how the whole MH A380 comes nicely into a uniquely Malaysian package. That's the beauty I find in trip reports Although not always objective, but to begin with it is a subjective matter.

Ya, but to compare the joyride with an actual revenue flight may not do justice.

Ya, but to compare the joyride with an actual revenue flight may not do justice.

Ya, therefore a fairly good gauge would be trip reports on the actual revenue flight.

From the article -

I sure hope so.

is this the reason why the business class is a bit outdated as well? because they decided that type of product for business class about 3 years ago and too late to make a refit.... i know same goes with Lufthansa's A380 business class product when they received theirs

Airpearl promised to do a trip report. Just keep on looking in A.Net if it has been posted.

Expect one from Roni (Ronerone) too on A.Net. He was snapping away on the inaugural from beginning till the end.

Once again, trip reports anybody?

Keep a look out on A.Net.

Passengers, Crew Give Thumbs Up To MAS' First A380 Flight To London

KUALA LUMPUR, July 6 (Bernama) -- Ili Syazwani Shairi, 19, had longed to fly Malysia Airlines' (MAS) latest aircraft, the Airbus A380.

So when MAS announced several weeks ago that its first Kuala lumpur-London A380 flight would be on July 1, the Johor Baharu student urged her parents to book a ticket immediately.

On the historic day, which was also the 38th anniversary of MAS' Kuala Lumpur-London service, Ili Syazwani could barely contain her excitement at finally being able to step foot inside the double-decked 494-seat supersized jet.

By a happy coincidence, MAS upgraded Ili Syazwani and her parents from economy to business class.

As soon as the 12-hour flight arrived the next day at Heathrow, London, she gushed, "I'm so excited to have flown the MAS A380." "It was a great experience, just as I had imagined, and unique," said the frequent flyer, adding her first attempt to fly on an A380, with a Dubai-based airline, ended in disappointment when the aircraft was changed to a Boeing 747.

MAS IS EIGHTH AIRLINE WITH A380

MAS took delivery of its first A380 in May, and is the eighth airline in the world to acquire the A380. It ordered six of the planes in 2003, with delivery expected in stages until next year.

Interviewed by Bernama on the plane, Ili Syazwani, a student at Kolej Yayasan UEM in Lembah Beringin, Selangor, said she was very impressed by the "exceptional take-off and landing" and the cabin crew's attention to the needs of the 478 passengers.

The plane has 420 economy class seats, 66 business class seats and eight first class seats.

The first flight from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) to London was launched on July 1 by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

Its London-Kuala Lumpur flight was launched the next day by MAS Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya at London Heathrow airport, witnessed by British Airport Authority (BAA) Chief Executive Officer Colin Matthews and Malaysian High Commissioner to the United Kingdom Datuk Seri Zakaria Sulong.

MAS' SERVICE THE BEST

Another passenger, English actor Stephen Rahman-Hughes, who has acted in Malaysia and was on the flight to return to London, said it was "a very nice experience, and I felt like I'm not in the air."

"The flight was so smooth that one minute you are on land, and the next minute you are in the air. You don't feel the thrust of the engines when it took off which you normally feel on other type of planes," he said.

Rahman-Hughes also praised the MAS cabin crew, saying "services are always good with MAS" and the in-flight entertainment systems were also fabulous with the many movies to choose from.

He said he would make an effort to catch the A380 flights, which is currently thrice weekly on the KL-London sector, in his future travel plans, and would not hesitate to recommend to his friends to travel on MAS' A380.

Pilot Captain Datuk Ahmad Zuraidi Dahalan said the plane was gentle and not so noisy during flight, an assessment echoed by his two colleagues.

A380 IS THE SAFEST

Perak-born Ahmad Zuraidi, 55, said the A380's advanced safety features, such as being able to automatically swerve to the right when it detects another aircraft tens of kilometres in front, or the computer taking over the controls from the pilot when the engine stalls, are not found in other aircraft.

MAS can take pride in the fact that in just a year it was able to train 88 pilots, aged 27 to 55, in theory and in simulation flights, to handle its A380 fleet.

Captain Norshid Ali, another A380 pilot on the maiden flight to London, said only 10 of the pilots are eligible to fly it, having actually flown the plane.

MAS PILOTS HIGHLY-TRAINED AND EXPERIENCED

Norshid and Ahmad Zuraidi, two of the first pilots to receive the training, had earlier trained to fly the A380 in Australia and France, although only for a limited time.

With 35 years' experience each as a pilot and having flown Boeing 747 and 777 as well as the Airbus 330, they took only about two months to adapt to flying the A380.

Norshid, 54, of Kepala Batas, Penang, was also excited by the A380, saying MAS has raised its level of excellence not only in having this sophisticated airplane, the world's largest, but also by providing the best possible level of comfort for passengers.

Ahmad Zuraidi, who is equally enthusiastic about the A380, said he is grateful for the chance to be an A380 pilot. His son Johan Ariff, 27, is undergoing training as a A380 co-pilot.

SOPHISTICATED PLANE, TRADITIONAL MENU

The passengers on this flight seemed pleased with the wider seats all around, from economy to business and first class, and the fact that they could lie down on a long flight.

The traditional menu, comprising satay, nasi lemak, roti paratha, rendang ayam, sup ekor and Western dishes, was also popular with the passengers.

Flight supervisor Rozana Khalid, 40, said the biggest challenge for the 20 crew members under her was attending to the higher number of passengers on this two-storey superjumbo jet.

"I had to walk back and forth and from the lower to the upper floor to ensure the cabin crew gave the best possible service," she said, adding the service was a bit slow as the crew had to help many passengers individually with the latest in-flight entertainment systems, many of which are interactive and different from those found in other planes.

Rozana is fortunate, as those selected as A3880 cabin crew are the best, highly experienced and with an excellent work record.

Cabin crew member Izan Munira Mahfut, 35, who has 16 years of experience, said she was proud to be chosen. She has worked on Boeing 737, 747 and 777 as well as Airbus A330, and had two weeks of training at the MAS Academy in Subang, Selangor and three days on an A380 while it was being brought to Kuala Lumpur in May on a training flight.

MAS has now trained nearly 300 cabin crew members for its six A380, and they will be taken in stages from this year until early next year.

MAS plans to fly daily to London, Sydney, Narita (Tokyo) and Beijing.

As soon as the 12-hour flight arrived the next day at Heathrow, London, she gushed, "I'm so excited to have flown the MAS A380." "It was a great experience, just as I had imagined, and unique," said the frequent flyer, adding her first attempt to fly on an A380, with a Dubai-based airline, ended in disappointment when the aircraft was changed to a Boeing 747.

Which Dubai-based airline has a 747 passenger plane?

The A380 could be doing training flights to SIN later in the month.

Which Dubai-based airline has a 747 passenger plane?

Well spotted, Suhaimi. :clapping:

I was wondering how long it will take for people to notice this error by the reporter, a certain Datuk Zakaria Abdul Wahab.

The A380 could be doing training flights to SIN later in the month.

Empty or with pax on board?

I suppose this will take place once MNB is delivered.

Empty or with pax on board?

I suppose this will take place once MNB is delivered.

Empty, most likely, just like what SQ did with their A380 earlier. It will be done between MH3 arrival (morning) and MH4 departure (night). Most likely before MNB is delivered as they need to have the crew trained on the aircraft.

This is still not confirmed.

Passengers, Crew Give Thumbs Up To MAS' First A380 Flight To London

KUALA LUMPUR, July 6 (Bernama) -- Ili Syazwani Shairi, 19, had longed to fly Malysia Airlines' (MAS) latest aircraft, the Airbus A380.

So when MAS announced several weeks ago that its first Kuala lumpur-London A380 flight would be on July 1, the Johor Baharu student urged her parents to book a ticket immediately.

On the historic day, which was also the 38th anniversary of MAS' Kuala Lumpur-London service, Ili Syazwani could barely contain her excitement at finally being able to step foot inside the double-decked 494-seat supersized jet.

By a happy coincidence, MAS upgraded Ili Syazwani and her parents from economy to business class.

Rather disturbing news telling over there.

Hopefully 'Ili Syazwani' and/or her parents are at least an Enrich Gold members to justify the upgrade. Hopefully not too many pure Economy class passengers like 'Ili Syazwani and her parents' were given free upgrade like this. I thought AJ and his team are pushing hard to improve revenues?

But by the time she mentioned that her supposedly first A380 flight with EK was changed to a Boeing 747 aircraft, I think it's either the whole 'Ili Syazwani and her parents' are telling bshit or they are not exist in real life and just a creation of the journalist to create 'stories' for his article.

Airpearl flown in Economy Class. I think he is 1,000 times more deserving to get the upgrade by merits than these 'Ili Syazwani and her parents'.

Rather disturbing news telling over there.

Hopefully 'Ili Syazwani' and/or her parents are at least an Enrich Gold members to justify the upgrade. Hopefully not too many pure Economy class passengers like 'Ili Syazwani and her parents' were given free upgrade like this. I thought AJ and his team are pushing hard to improve revenues?

But by the time she mentioned that her supposedly first A380 flight with EK was changed to a Boeing 747 aircraft, I think it's either the whole 'Ili Syazwani and her parents' are telling bshit or they are not exist in real life and just a creation of the journalist to create 'stories' for his article.

Airpearl flown in Economy Class. I think he is 1,000 times more deserving to get the upgrade by merits than these 'Ili Syazwani and her parents'.

Maybe she paid the Y fare bucket, which can be very very expensive compared to some of the lower fare buckets? Also, at least one C pax was upgraded to First, but I believe the pax is an Enrich Plat.

Even AJ was seated in Y as C and F cabins were full, no doubt some were guests.

Ronerone and some of the First-to-fly (of SQ-fame) gang flew in C.

kids nowadays ....... :D

kids nowadays ....... :D

I was just thinking the same...