MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Nizam

Stowaway Onboard SIA Flight From KLIA

This doesn't come as a surprise at all. Terrorists has been boarding at MAB's airports for hijackings before at least twice. Stowaways, etc.

More than once a friend of mine had accidentally hand-packed his dagger which he uses for his rock climbing trips in sabah, as a hand-carry. And he was never stopped.

If convicted he could be jailed for up to six months, caned three times or more, or fined up to S$6000 dollars (RM13,800).

Hmmm...with RM13,800 he could have a decent KUL-SIN flight in first class, or perhaps chartered private flight....

Security???

I once saw this, the security gate beep when a passenger past through but was not checked because he is a friend of the secutiry guard.

FYI, baggage handlers at KLIA are paid RM600 a month with free staff housing.. My friend worked as one about 1 year ago. I am not sure about the latest pay.

600 ringgit?

Thats disgusting! Talk about living beneath the poverty line...

First serious incident at KLIA

KUALA LUMPUR: It marked the first serious security breach at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport but such mishaps are nothing new to Malaysian airports.

The highest number of security breaches at airports in the country was in 1993.

The first involved a 16-year-old whose body was found in the wheel bay of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 747 which landed in Johannesburg, South Africa, on March 15, 1993.

Investigations later revealed that Shamsul Ramli had climbed into the wheel bay of the aircraft which was parked at the Subang International Airport.

Sixteen days later, a mental patient Mohamed Arif Salleh, 25, was caught sitting in an empty MAS Boeing 737-400 parked at Bay 20 of Terminal One in Subang.

The plane had earlier arrived from Penang.

On April 8, 1993, Johari Kasmin, 25, was detained by a guard near the MAS clinic at the airport's Complex A after he hitched a ride on a van from Terminal Two.

Two days later, Phuah Ang Huat, 38, was detained when he gave Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd guards and Customs officers the slip, dashing into a departure hall.

Phuah, who claimed that he was on a mission from God, was detained by guards.

On April 20, the same year, unemployed Chandrasekaran Karuppan, 37, was arrested after he ran into the baggage section of Terminal One at Subang.

A week later, airport guards arrested shopkeeper Rahaman Saar V.A. Sultan for intrusion at the Penang International Airport departure lounge.

In December 1994, an 18-year-old stowaway was found hiding in a plane at the airport in Subang.

A week earlier, another teenager was found hiding beneath an aircraft at Terminal One.

On March 11, 1995, Indonesian Hapsah Abdul Kadir was found on board a Malaysia Airlines flight bound for Kota Kinabalu without a boarding pass.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Mon...icle/index_html

They don't know, we dunno, I dunno, everybody oso dunno:

Red faces over 'phantom' stowaway

By : Lee Shi-Ian and Ranjeetha Pakiam

KUALA LUMPUR: A Palestinian national who managed to sneak onboard a Singapore-bound Boeing 777-200 via the nose wheel last Thursday did not turn up on any closed-circuit television camera recordings.

And now red-faced officials are wondering how this serious security breach occurred under their noses with airports worldwide tightening security.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy did not mince words when he said the security breach at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport should have not happened.

"I was angry and upset when I was briefed about the incident and I have told Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to submit a full report and investigation on the incident," he said.

MAHB operations senior general manager Datuk Azmi Murad said surveillance tapes did not reveal the Palestinian anywhere in the airport.

The suspect, Osama R.M. Shublaq, 27, is said to have hidden in the nose wheel well on Flight SQ 119 from Kuala Lumpur late on Thursday night.

He was discovered after falling 2.4m from the nose wheel to the ground at the Changi International Airport in Singapore when it landed just after midnight.

According to Singapore media reports, the suspect was arrested by airport police and charged with entering the country without a valid pass or permit.

"We will co-operate with Singaporean authorities to ascertain how the stowaway managed to sneak aboard the flight," said Azmi.

MAHB senior general manager of security and AFRS services Datuk Kamaruddin Mohd Ismail said it was premature to comment on the issue as Singaporean police were questioning the suspect.

"We have begun our own investigations, but at this juncture, it would be unfair to say anything while the Singaporean police are still investigating the case," Kamaruddin said.

Meanwhile, checks with the Immigration Department revealed that there was no record of the stowaway entering or leaving the country.

"There are no records of the suspect at land, sea or air checkpoints that show he entered or exited the country," said the department's enforcement director Datuk Ishak Mohamed.

Veteran flight staff have expressed amazement that the man survived the journey as he could have been crushed by the retracting nose wheel.

The danger behind what the man is said to have done is underscored by previous cases of stowaways found dead on arrival elsewhere in the world.

They were either killed by the cold, the lack of oxygen at high altitude, or crushed by retracting landing gear.

The air in the wheel well is not pressurised or heated.

If convicted, the man could be jailed for up to six months, caned, or fined up to S$6,000 (RM14,000)

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Mon...icle/index_html

I still cant understand how he managed to survive the high altitude low pressure & temperature and avoided being crushed. If me, I'll black out due to coldness & hypoxia. Amazing!

Edited by Jerry Ang

Have you seen the news about a boy clinging onto a Boeing 737's wing bear with it for a whole 2 hours ( i think) and then survived?

Thats even amazing

Have you seen the news about a boy clinging onto a Boeing 737's wing bear with it for a whole 2 hours ( i think) and then survived?

Thats even amazing

is it around Mexico?

Its in russia

A 15 year old Russian boy suffered acute frostbite after riding the wing of a Boeing-737 plane on a 1300km two-hour flight. With temperatures hitting -50C and the plane at a cruising speed of 900km/h, the teenager Andrei Shcherbakov collapsed onto the tarmac when the plane landed.

He had clung on for the entire flight from Perm in Russia's Ural region to Vnukova Airport in Moscow. His arms and legs were so severely frozen that rescuers were at first unable to remove his coat and shoes. He was taken by ambulance to hospital where doctors are trying to save his hands. When he awoke, Andrei told police that he had decided to run away from his alcoholic father and their home in Perm.

"I had some money with me. I just wanted to take a look at the planes. I was wandering about the territory of the airport and saw a hole in its fence," he said.

"I sneaked in and approached a big plane. It was already dark and no-one saw me. I didn't know what to do next.

"Eventually, I decided to climb up the landing gear into the wing. When I was in, I sat down there on a tyre and fell asleep."

The boy said he woke up when the plane was flying.

"I got so scared and fainted. I don't remember what was happening afterwards. They told me later that I had spent about two hours at the height of 10,000 meters at very low temperatures.

"I came to my senses again when the plane had already landed. I got down on the runway and collapsed. I could not control my legs and it was very cold," he said.

Airport workers saw the teenager falling down on the ground from the hull of the plane. He was taken to hospital in a half-conscience state. When at the hospital, he complained his hands were burning. Moscow's air and water transport control department said the boy's parents were immediately informed when he fell to the runway tarmac and his mother Olga flew to the capital the same day, Saturday. Mrs Shcherbakov arrived in Moscow and took her son back home to Perm because the family could not afford the expensive hospital treatment. A doctor from the Perm hospital, where the boy is staying at the moment, said that the tissue of the boy's hands started dying away, which may make surgeons amputate both hands.

Source:http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22491324-13762,00.html

Edited by Walter Sim

:blink:

I thought this kind of things only happen in movies!

Shouldn't there be a guniess world record or something? Believe it, or not!

oh boy...the boy is damm tough :shok:

if i were him...i think i will end up in a pile of frozen meat...

luckily the boy's life never been claim...pitty the boy also..

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy did not mince words when he said the security breach at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport should have not happened.

"I was angry and upset when I was briefed about the incident and I have told Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to submit a full report and investigation on the incident," he said.

Asking people to submit reports is the only thing our ministers know how to do.

Tioman ferry catch fire; 4 dead, 3 missing?

Chan Kong Choy: "I will ask them to submit a full report"

Stowaway at Malaysian airport who could have brought anything with him onboard, including a bomb?

Chan Kong Choy: "I have told Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to submit a full report and investigation on the incident"

Bukit Gantang bus crash; 20 dead?

Abdullah Badawi: "I dunno. I will ask Chan Kong Choy to submit a full report."

Whether or not the reports are actually read after they are submitted is anyone's guess...

Whether or not the reports are actually read after they are submitted is anyone's guess...

Or whether the reports will be actually submitted.

By the way, does anybody have the real identity of the stowaway? I remembered reading from the newspaper that the immigration department does not have any records (arrival and/or departure) of this guy, so where did he come from in the first place?

If he was able to depart undetected from KLIA, reasonable to assume he could have arrived undetected beforehand ? The mind boggles !

Talk about security breaches...does anyone remember about the gold bars theft from MASKargo complex or Intel microchips heist last year.

source: CargoNews website.

Malaysian Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy has announced seven immediate measures, including beefing up security at airports, especially at the free commercial zones, following the country's biggest cargo heist last month.

Southeast Asia's US equivalent of the Silicon Valley clamoured for tighter security measures following the audacious robbery of US$12.7 million worth of computer chips and motherboards from the Bax Global Logistics warehouse at the Batu Maung Free Commercial Zone in Penang.

Four of the 20-member gang, dressed in security uniforms, drove into the zone in two stolen trailers at 2.15 am. They told the two Customs officers manning the checkpoint that they were there to flush out illegal workers and instructed them not to alert the people inside the complex.

Carrying machetes, the gang then overpowered the 17 warehouse guards, including the Customs officers, and forced them to drink a chloroform-laced liquid to prevent any resistance. Within an hour, they piled 585 cartons and 18 pallets of microchips and motherboards onto the trucks, took the footage of the robbery from CCTVs, and fled. Several suspects were detained and interrogated but later released due to lack of evidence.

The theft led to finger-pointing. The chairman of the Air Freight Forwarders Association of Malaysia, Walter Culas alleged that Malaysia Airlines (MAS) had failed to provide adequate security at the cargo complex. But MAS was quick to refute the criticism, saying that the complex was not owned by them and that it provides security only at the entrance and exit points.

MAS's senior general manager (cargo), J.J. Ong, said that the heist had not taken place at the MASkargo complex in Penang but at the Second Air Cargo Complex (SACC) in Batu Maung. He said MAS merely monitored the incoming and outgoing cargo, and was responsible for checking the documents to ensure that the goods being brought in or taken out conformed to the documents.

The AFAM rejected this argument. Culas reminded MAS it had been appointed by the Ministry of Finance as the Free Commercial Zone authority for the Penang airports in 1996. Consequently, Culas argued, MAS should be held accountable for all entry of cargo into the zone. Under the Free Zones Act 1990, Culas claimed, MAS was responsible for "everything that goes in and out of the free zone area". MAS, he alleged, was trying to absolve itself of the responsibility, having realised that its negligence had indeed contributed to the heist.

Ong countered that MAS had proposed the installation of an electronic surveillance system which could have thwarted the robbery but that the AFAM had rejected the proposal and even dragged the matter to the courts just to assert its position. Ong added that MAS also wanted to charge a fee for each cargo consignment processed but the proposal was rejected by the AFAM.

In a letter to MAS managing director Idris Jala, Culas said all repeated warnings to bolster security were ignored.

"We had made all those security upgrade suggestions to MAS following a major robbery in the 1990s, when robbers carted away millions of dollars worth of gold bars. Now almost a decade later, a more daring robbery has occurred," he said.

An AFAM spokesman told Cargonews Asia: "This is not the first time that a major heist of electronic products of this proportion has taken place in Malaysia. There was a $1.1 million robbery of Dell LCD displays at KLIA in October. Malaysia could gain notoriety as an unsafe cargo destination if this continues. In fact, this will also deter future investments, particularly by electronic companies who may feel uneasy manufacturing in a country where their products cannot be stored in a secure place."

Intel's managing director in Malaysia, K.C. Yoon, said that US electronic companies were feeling uneasy because of a lack of security in the region. Yoon urged the government as well as the logistics and warehouse providers to intensify security not only in Penang but also in other parts of the country to prevent a recurrence of such an incident. The stolen goods belonged to Intel.

The American-Malaysian Chamber of Commerce echoed similar sentiments, warning that the heist would generate bad publicity for Malaysia and may scare off potential investors unless security weas tightened.

Under the new measures, MASkargo will appoint a security firm whose personnel would be equipped with firearms to guard the zones from 7am to 7pm daily. MASkargo will also install closed-circuit television cameras at all entry-exit points to the zones. There will be stringent regular checks and a hotline will be established between security personnel and police.

According to the Immigration Department, this Palestinian never enter or leave Malaysia. MAHB surveillance tapes did not reveal the Palestinian anywhere in the airport.

Officially, he doesn’t exist and couldn’t has board the aircraft at KUL.

May be the media down south is jealous of KUL is ‘the Best Airport’ and smearing the good name of KUL.

:drinks: :pardon:

May be the media down south is jealous of KUL is ‘the Best Airport’ and smearing the good name of KUL.

That's the spirit Lee !

At last you're thinking along similar wavelength as the pihak berkuasa :)

Only if we have a whistle blower policy within the country, this kind of things could have been avoided. Instead we now have a "everyone is covering for everyone's crap" practice, it seems.

Lets see how far we can go on carry like this! Oops, politics again :p

According to the Immigration Department, this Palestinian never enter or leave Malaysia. MAHB surveillance tapes did not reveal the Palestinian anywhere in the airport.

Officially, he doesn’t exist and couldn’t has board the aircraft at KUL.

:drinks: :pardon:

Yes, Mr KK Lee it's good diversify our fears, CONspiracy theories, sweeping generalizations and cynicism-beyond-hatreds to cover all sorts of perspectives! :clapping:

The solution is to get the suspect to talk. Only then will we know the truth.

maybe he came from space? could he be palestine's first man in space?

KUL is too secure for stowaways according to MAHB. But it is the only airport in the region where you can walk in and steal millions of dollars worth of cargo - then wave to the jaga on the way out. advanced cargo centre my ass.

Sign in to follow this