MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

What Is Your Favorite Airport?

I just want to know what airports do you all like?

For me it is Los Angeles Int'l Airport (LAX-KLAX) and Kuala Lumpur Int'l Airport (KUL-WMKK).

Edited by Andrew Ong

I hate LAX, IAH, EWR, LHR. DEN is quite nice especially the high ceiling hall and restaurants overview the TSA along with LAS. How bout DFW, they are bad, but been improve lately with new terminal etc etc. Orlando has got to be my favourite. Other than that ICN, and KUL will be my international top choice airport, along with HKG, never been to SIN or new NBK, so, will update when I experiance them :good:

I hate LAX, IAH, EWR, LHR. DEN is quite nice especially the high ceiling hall and restaurants overview the TSA along with LAS.

What's wrong with LAX?

Kuala Lumpur International - KUL

Kansai International - KIX

Paris Charles De Gulle Terminal 2 (yes the one that collapsed)

Hong Kong International - HKG

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi - BKK

Seoul Incheon Airport - ICN

Singapore Changi Airport - SIN

Kota Kinabalu International - BKI (very nice scenery)

Macau International - MFM (very unique)

San Francisco International - SFO (nice and new)

New York John F. Kennedy - JFK (classic terminal)

Munich International - MUC

KL Subang Airport - SZB (like the Terminal 1 but it's gone)

Jakarta Soekarno Hatta - CGK (nice terminal)

Upcoming goodies:

Beijing Capital Terminal 3

Kota Kinabalu International (new scheme)

Dislikes

London Heathrow - LHR (awfully planned)

Edited by S V Choong

SIN (efficiency and familiarity; only peeve is when I get a flight parked at gate F58 - an epic hike which seems to be a frequent occurance of late :blink: )

KUL (architecture - vast and airy; I'd like it even more if ITCI is expanded to all airlines)

HKG (ditto with KUL RE architecture; nice CX and VS lounges; ITCI is very convenient)

MEL (small and compact - gates are often very near lounges; same with SIN for the familiarity factor; customs officers are a hit or miss though)

HKT (the nicest immigration officers in the world)

Cringe-inducing:

Don Muang (total zoo; can be quite a circus during peak hours, i hope the problems at the new BKK would have sorted themselves out by the time I get there in Dec)

LHR (inter-terminal transfers here are nothing short of a joke)

LAX-Tom Bradley International Terminal (total dump; nasty immigration officers who act like they're doing you a huge favour by letting you into the country)

FCO (inefficiency seems to be the theme here)

Edited by Keith T

From which side point of view ??

If i'm a 'pilot', of course I like YSSY..but if i'm a pax, I would prefer WMKK.. :)

OK, from a passenger's point of view, these are my favourites:

Scandinavia/Northern Europe: OSL

Eastern Europe: PRG

Western Europe: AMS

Southern Europe: MAD

Central Europe: ZRH

Far East: KUL (always very quiet when KLM arrives :yahoo: ) and HKG...

US: MCO, but when it comes to Immigration/Customs officers: ORD :o

Central- and South-America, Africa, Australia/New-Zealand and "Northern Asia": don't know - too little or no trips at all :sorry:

SZB, definitely.

IMHO KUL has no soul (feel) to it.

Just my 2p.

You are actually spot-on on the KUL...I had the same feeling too, no doubt it looks good, but it's just very sterile.

I haven' been to many airports, but so far I really like Changi. There is just too many things to do! :D

Central Europe: ZRH

I forgot to mention ZRH. One of my faves too. The Swissport lounge in Terminal E has excellent coffee. :good:

US: MCO, but when it comes to Immigration/Customs officers: ORD :o

Ooh good thing I'm entering at ORD then. I just hope they don't take issue with the fact that I'm flying to the US via 'the wrong way.'

Edited by Keith T

My most fav is got to be KLAX, one of my favourite hang out location. Hong Kong CLK is another.

my favourites are KUL, AMS, SIN, PER

MAN, GLA and EDI are my favourites in UK - nothing much to do but nice and friendly. Easy immigration..

DXB,CGK, BCN are okay

LHR is crap except for Terminal 4. Terminal 3 is the worst - all the intercontinental flights to Africa, Asia and the middle east depart/arrive there - too busy for my liking. No personal space at all.

The worst i've been to is BKI low cost terminal - but CAI, BKK, JED are pretty bad too.

Most user friendly - Changi

Best for transit - Changi (lots of things to do + majority are free of charge).

Best duty free shopping - Changi

Best waiting area/daparture gate - HKG & ICN (they are quite similar), i like the opening planning concept.

Best inside terminal spotting - HKG.

I do agree KUL has no soul and finding gates at Satelite building can be quite confusing due to the small signs and the '+' design terminal with a forrest in the middle just make it worse. I also don't like the concept of aerotrain as waiting for the aerotrains is just waste of time and fighting places with the crowd is not something pleasant. Waiting for luggage in KLIA can be a nightmare also as it was just way too slow. Honestly speaking KLIA is very classy (the design, materials etc) but just not as practical, user friendly and efficient compared to some of the regional airport like SIN, HKG, ICN.

Honestly speaking can't wait for the New Changi Terminal 3 to open in 2008 as I'm sure they are really gonna set a new standard considering the current T1 & T2 is very good already!

http://www.changiairport.com.sg/changi/en/...tml?__locale=en

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Far East: KUL (always very quiet when KLM arrives :yahoo: ) .....

Pieter,

I believe KUL (MTB that is) is always very quiet nowadays, irrespective whether there is a KLM flight arriving or not :D And this ever since LCCT opened for business and Malaysian aviation services "rationalisation" programme.

I wonder if we will have to wait for re-irratinalisation before MTB gets properly populated once again :pardon:

Ambience & design

Best : KLIA

Worst : LCCT (Makro look-alike)

Ease of connecting flight

Best : Dubai (all-in-one)

Worst : Jeddah (RM50 taxi ride to connect between 2 terminals, must have visa)

Ease of immigration

Most efficient : Geneva

Most fussy officers : Jeddah

Slowest queue : London Heathrow (esp. morning)

Access to downtown

Fastest : Geneva (6 mins train to Cornavin)

Slowest : London Stansted (45 mins train + 30 mins tube to West End)

Airport activities (shopping, food, entertainment)

Best : Changi

Worst : KLIA (so expensive, so boring)

OVERALL Verdict

Best : Geneva :good:

Worst : Jeddah <_<

SIN is the best airport for me.

The services,spotting facilities and shopping in airport really impress me although SIN has more than 20 years in service since the opening of T1.Overall,it's my favourite airport.I am looking forward to T3 in SIN when it opens in 2008.

KUL and HKG is one my favourite in terms of architecture.

Haven't been to BKK and KIX.Seems like both airport are very modern and advances.

I do agree KUL has no soul and finding gates at Satelite building can be quite confusing due to the small signs and the '+' design terminal with a forrest in the middle just make it worse. I also don't like the concept of aerotrain as waiting for the aerotrains is just waste of time and fighting places with the crowd is not something pleasant.

I don't think it's that difficult to find gates at KLIA... I find the signage quite good.. You don't have to wait that long for an aerotrain... there ain't much of a crowd either.. next time, go to the end carriage.. always lots of space because ppl are lazy to walk that extra 50 ft to get aboard that one ... best view is from that carriage as well.. The forest is unique and core to the design philosphy.. I find it visually soothing.. I only wish you could go out and walk through it.. now THAT would enhance the experience.. at the moment it's more of an "aquarium"... 100% agree with you about the baggage, although the new feature of "Baggage Arrival Timing" is quite good and accurate too. Remember, it's not a short distance between the Satellite and MTB.. and the conveyor system IIRC is quite slow... that's where they coul add some improvements with the new satellite building and then upgrade the older one too.. when they decide to build it.

on the contrary, I find SIN T1/T2 very congested at peak times.. it has the feeling of a camped shopping mall.. but the E and F wings are nice, as well as the new C and D piers.. T3 indeed looks classy.

OVERALL Verdict

Best : Geneva :good:

If you choose GVA, you've not been to ZRH yet, IMHO :blink:

Favourite airports: Tokyo Narita, Osaka, Hong Kong and of course, simply the most outstanding, Singapore Changi. Can't seem to find any fault in Changi except that it gets a little crowded during peak times, but with the opening of T3, things should cool off a little.

Dislikes: Jarkata, Paris T1, London Heathrow and KLIA.

I have to agree that KLIA lacks soul, almost like a white elephant with so little airlines flying into and out of the airport. I remember sitting there looking at the planes on the runway, and could only see some Air Asia planes taking off, with one or two Malaysia Airlines planes. In addition, staff are rather rude, and nonchalant, I wonder how they want to catch up with SIN with an attitude like that.

I don't think it's that difficult to find gates at KLIA... I find the signage quite good.. You don't have to wait that long for an aerotrain... there ain't much of a crowd either.. next time, go to the end carriage.. always lots of space because ppl are lazy to walk that extra 50 ft to get aboard that one ... best view is from that carriage as well.. The forest is unique and core to the design philosphy.. I find it visually soothing.. I only wish you could go out and walk through it.. now THAT would enhance the experience.. at the moment it's more of an "aquarium"... 100% agree with you about the baggage, although the new feature of "Baggage Arrival Timing" is quite good and accurate too. Remember, it's not a short distance between the Satellite and MTB.. and the conveyor system IIRC is quite slow... that's where they coul add some improvements with the new satellite building and then upgrade the older one too.. when they decide to build it.

on the contrary, I find SIN T1/T2 very congested at peak times.. it has the feeling of a camped shopping mall.. but the E and F wings are nice, as well as the new C and D piers.. T3 indeed looks classy.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've used KLIA (MTB + SB) many times, and I have never had problems with the signages and difficulties finding gates. But I do think the design of the Satellite building isn't the best...and could be much better. First of all, you can't really see aircrafts parked at the building from the Anjung Tinjau...not spotter friendly. The + design also minimize space for more stores...and the stores on the 1st floor are not very passenger friendly as well.

I appreciate the fact that the management is working on improving the shopping areas in the Satellite building..hopefully for the better. The refurbishment of the Sky Emporium in the MTB looks great to me. Adds a lot more character to the terminal.

Some things though I would like to see at KLIA. Stores at the International Departure area in the MTB (i.e. Gates G & H)....that place looks really dry.

A rest area, where there are lots of sofas to sit and relax...and with LCD screen TV's all over the place, showing different programs (sports, news, documentary)....ala Changi T2 I guess...

Favourates:

UK: MAN

Europe: AMS (single roof)

Asia: SIN (efficiency) and KUL (Home country)

Sarawak: SBW (Hometown :lol: )

Dislikes:

UK: LHR

Asia: Dubai (rude staff)

Edited by I. Wong

Sign in to follow this