MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

Don't think AirAsia is the right one, their business model is always low cost and even they themselves are struggling with some business sectors, especially the long haul one.

Problem is - with whom?

Garuda? Most definitely not, the Indonesian wouldn't want Malaysian hands to mix with their own flag carrier.

Singapore? Why would they bother?

Thai? Same thing.

Royal Brunei? What for?

For a regulator to advise mean something is brewing in the background, a prequel to acquisition.

Edited by KK Lee

On my last mh flight, a steward announced meal choice over 5/6 rows. New sop?

Can you elaborate? You mean he just spoke loudly to 5 or 6 rows at once?

I have experienced this before in 2014 and 2016 on my flight to LHR and the crew would actually come to the front of a set of say three to four rows and announce the menu for that meal. It is alright if they do not serve menu cards but I guess the PTV display for the menu may have been out of order, which they usually do.

I have experienced this before in 2014 and 2016 on my flight to LHR and the crew would actually come to the front of a set of say three to four rows and announce the menu for that meal. It is alright if they do not serve menu cards but I guess the PTV display for the menu may have been out of order, which they usually do.

cause when u ask pax on every row its slows service down,people only then start to decide which choice they want and sometimes discussion pursuits with family and the crew is left waiting for a decision to be made.Then next row same story.And so on and so forth.Hence by saying couple of rows ahead the passengers can then decide and are ready when the crew reaches there,The most civilized way would be to use PA and announce the menu choices in Y/and use PTV

Yes, indeed.

cause when u ask pax on every row its slows service down,people only then start to decide which choice they want and sometimes discussion pursuits with family and the crew is left waiting for a decision to be made.Then next row same story.And so on and so forth.Hence by saying couple of rows ahead the passengers can then decide and are ready when the crew reaches there,The most civilized way would be to use PA and announce the menu choices in Y/and use PTV

There is distinction in hospitality industry.

Edited by KK Lee

Yeah they could have at least make a cabin announcement of the menu if they can't afford to print menus

Also display menu on IFE

Yeah they could have at least make a cabin announcement of the menu if they can't afford to print menus

Also display menu on IFE

Somehow, this kinda makes the Airasia pre-booked meals look very efficient!

On a recent KA A320 flight, I could hear the steward asking which of two options the pax wished to have - from some distance away. By the time they arrived at our row, I already know which option I wanted. However, this may not always work as some people will have headphones glued to their ears.

I am waiting for which airline will be the first one to utilise the IFE screen for pax's menu selection.

MH was ahead of the time on this with the previous generation IFE screen.

I am waiting for which airline will be the first one to utilise the IFE screen for pax's menu selection.

I recall menu choices being flashed on screen on Etihad the last I was on them few years ago

It was not interactive though

Imagine ordering your breakfast like one would at a McD drive through :D

Perhaps MH can come up with an innovative buffet style meal ?

They could have done it on the A380 flights!

MH was ahead of the time on this with the previous generation IFE screen.

I think Air New Zealand has something like this - may not be meal selection during meal times. But in between meals and if you want a drink or snack, just touch, touch, touch on the screen, and select what you want from the menu, and it will be delivered to your seats.

MAB and JAL applies to MAVCOM for joint venture approval covering services between and within Malaysia and Japan.See:https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190425-Proposed-Joint-Business-between-Malaysia-Airlines-Berhad-and-Japan-Airlines-Co.-Ltd..pdf

Care to explain what does it mean?

According to this website

A JV partnership allows airlines to align service offerings, share costs and revenue, as well as share risks – generally in a specific geographic region. For all practical purposes, a JV is a merger that applies only to certain defined routes and also requires government antitrust immunity.

Examples of JV partnerships include Delta’s Transatlantic partnership with KLM, Air France, Alitalia, and Virgin Atlantic, and United’s Transpacific partnership with ANA. A more recent example is the just announced trans-border partnership between Delta and WestJet. This JV will provide for substantial reach into Canada, with transborder service to over 30 cities, covering 95% of U.S. – Canada demand. Both the U.S. and Canadian governments will need to provide approval, and the process generally requires a concession in the form of gate or time slot divestitures, ensuring that a competitive balance exists.

https://www.foxworldtravel.com/airline-mergers-alliances-joint-ventures-differences-impact-corporate-airline-agreement/

MAB and JAL applies to MAVCOM for joint venture approval covering services between and within Malaysia and Japan.

See:

https://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/190425-Proposed-Joint-Business-between-Malaysia-Airlines-Berhad-and-Japan-Airlines-Co.-Ltd..pdf

Sounds good. I wonder if they'll expand it to cover US/Canada/South Asia in the future.

Basically means both airlines share costs and revenue for the market they want a JV in. They can coordinate schedules and fares without anti-competitive agencies scrutinizing at them.

I also saw "metal neutral" mentioned in the application - this means pax can choose to fly either on JL or MH on any fare without much restrictions (that's how it should work theoretically but cheaper tickets usually have a rule that says "Flights must be on MH operated by MH" etc.).