MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

I, for one, would appreciate the flexibility to have my murtabak 30 mins before landing!

I find too much filler e.g potatoes in mh murtabak.

Edited by KK Lee

Last night, I was trying to do online check in for my flight on A330 from Melbourne to KL, and noticed that rows 9 and 10 are now payable even during online check in, likewise the bulkhead rows as well. Just last week, I was still able to select these seats during online check in without paying extra for my flight to MEL, and now, it costs me RM280 for one of seats in rows 9 and 10.

One way to earn extra revenue!

I wonder if I would have to pay if I request for these seats at the counter. Will find out later.

Edited by Lim Kar Yong

Last night, I was trying to do online check in for my flight on A330 from Melbourne to KL, and noticed that rows 9 and 10 are now payable even during online check in, likewise the bulkhead rows as well. Just last week, I was still able to select these seats during online check in without paying extra for my flight to MEL, and now, it costs me RM280 for one of seats in rows 9 and 10.

One way to earn extra revenue!

I wonder if I would have to pay if I request for these seats at the counter. Will find out later.

Of late, no extra charge for requesting seats via check in staff at the counter. However, subject to availability. Nowadays I also noticed if you are checking in as a group or more than 1 guest, assuming you didn't opt for online check-in. Its getting more common on MH that your seats will be separated by the system. Even on the same booking PNR and on flights which are not full. Not sure if this is done on purpose but that's how it is lately. Good example if you try out the check in kiosk, highly likely you will be separated. However, the check in staff will override the system to seat the group together at the counter but this is annoying, the reason of having the kiosk is to avoid counter check ins.

I can attest to the seat separation even though booking on one PNR. Happened on 2 flights now, back to back. I thought it is so ridiculous and upsetting passengers unnecessarily.

Wow that sucks. Although I have encountered the same with AirAsia, which has ensured that I spend the RM6 to book the seats :D

BKK and CGK get the full tray service for quite some time now. PNH, DPS, BWN etc still get the mealbox treatment.

Mh is still serving mealbox/snackbox on KUL/PNH.

How much cut fruit, 250ml bottle and dish cleaning of tray cost? RM 4?

How much does a side salad cost? While we're at it, how much does a small tub of Häagen-Dazs cost? Heck, I think it's quite stingy of MH not to give out cheap things like soup and caviar. And don't tell me that little praline that you get in F and J at the end of a meal costs more than a few cents. These little things can't possibly cost much, right?

Even if it cost that much, you think they can recoup it with the yields they have on that flight?

Why do you think AirAsia sells Pak Nasser Nasi Lemak for RM 15, when you can easily buy a Nasi Lemak on ground for less than RM 5?

SQ SIN-TPE Y catering cost about sgd30 while J meals are at sgd86 not sure about long haul sectors though. Believe Mab could be around a similar catering pricing during LSG skychef tenure. Edited by jahur

SQ SIN-TPE Y catering cost about sgd30 while J meals are at sgd86 not sure about long haul sectors though. Believe Mab could be around a similar catering pricing during LSG skychef tenure.

That's a whopping RM90! :o

That's a whopping RM90! :o

Depends on sector and what catering deal packages were assigned on SATS. For example SIN to CGk or SGN Y meals are only 13.50SGD and J 32.67SGD but the price varies depending on travel seasons and airline specification as well.

Why do you think AirAsia sells Pak Nasser Nasi Lemak for RM 15, when you can easily buy a Nasi Lemak on ground for less than RM 5?

Nasi lemak costs more than RM 5 in a good restaurant, though!

Seriously, MAB must again look at their internal overheads and other costs. They also need to review their suppliers' contracts again.

The route network is also in need of review. They need to sweat their assets more and achieve better economies of scale. They have suffered severe flight and cabin crew shortages and they should really come up with a long term plan for these employees to stop the exodus. They also need to have a better recruitment system in place.

Its no easy task but all involved at MAB must focus. The PH government is reluctant to give them any more bailouts.

Edited by flee

Even if it cost that much, you think they can recoup it with the yields they have on that flight?

Selling price and cost is different.

Depends on sector and what catering deal packages were assigned on SATS. For example SIN to CGk or SGN Y meals are only 13.50SGD and J 32.67SGD but the price varies depending on travel seasons and airline specification as well.

For certain mh catering couldn't be superior than sq sin/cgk sector.

How much does a side salad cost? While we're at it, how much does a small tub of Häagen-Dazs cost? Heck, I think it's quite stingy of MH not to give out cheap things like soup and caviar. And don't tell me that little praline that you get in F and J at the end of a meal costs more than a few cents. These little things can't possibly cost much, right?

Cx/ka does dish out haagen dazs ice cream in ey class. Edited by KK Lee

I am curious if that's the average cost for SQ J on SIN-CGK or just the cost of the standard menu (I can't imagine the BTC Lobster Thermidor option costing $32.67 SGD)

Seriously, MAB must again look at their internal overheads and other costs. They also need to review their suppliers' contracts again.

I'd like to know, if you are the CEO of MAB and you are reviewing the contracts and you noticed that the contract is BS, all signed by your predecessors with hefty penalty for breaking the contract. The supplier/caterer knows that they are ripping MAB off, MAB knows that they are being ripped off, the public knows that MAB is being ripped off, what can/are you going to do with the long-term contract?

Missing the point entirely...

Agreed

I'd like to know, if you are the CEO of MAB and you are reviewing the contracts and you noticed that the contract is BS, all signed by your predecessors with hefty penalty for breaking the contract. The supplier/caterer knows that they are ripping MAB off, MAB knows that they are being ripped off, the public knows that MAB is being ripped off, what can/are you going to do with the long-term contract?

Simple.pay the hefty penalty.And correct the situation at hand.But do it right and award tenders correctly.Many SATS stuff come from malaysia.Saw the water bottle that is given to every pax Y CLASS on sin london bottled and packed in malaysia.

Simple.pay the hefty penalty.And correct the situation at hand.But do it right and award tenders correctly.

Really? Is it that easy to make money? I should apply for the CEO position tomorrow. I'll make it the greatest airline turnaround story of the century.

Many SATS stuff come from malaysia.Saw the water bottle that is given to every pax Y CLASS on sin london bottled and packed in malaysia.

I got some nice Toblerone bars on BA. Made in Switzerland I think. Very yummy. Edited by Chris Tan

Malaysia is willing to consider selling the national carrier Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) if there is a good offer for the company, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today.

However, he said the government must first ensure the potential buyer could manage the airline well.

“We have changed their (Malaysian Airlines) leadership many times, each time we were hoping they would do something to turn around the company but they failed… (so) now we want to sell it, but if we sell (it) to people who will fail again, it is not worthwhile.

“We (the government) need to be very careful about choosing the buyer,” he said during a session entitled ‘The Future of Malaysia and ASEAN’ with chief international correspondent, Southeast Asia, Bloomberg Television Haslinda Amin, in conjunction with ASEAN Business Summit in Bangkok, Thailand today.

Dr Mahathir said there were still various options that the government could consider in terms of the airlines future, including undertaking another restructuring exercise or cash injection by the government.

“Maybe changing the head once again and maybe restructuring or pumping a little of (the) government money and things like that, there are so many options at large,” he said.

When asked by the moderator on what would be the best option for Malaysian Airlines right now, Dr Mahathir said: “If there is a good offer, then we will consider (selling the airlines).”

Edited by KK Lee

The Malaysian Airline System Berhad (Administration) Act was passed to clean up MAS before MAB was established. I believe all the unfair contracts have not been transferred over to MAB. Some of the long term aircraft leases also did not make it into MAB.

Supplier contracts should be under constant review in order to keep costs as low as possible, If MAS does not know how, perhaps they should poach some supply chain staff from Airasia! ;)

Edited by flee

According to rumours mill; talk with t* is faded and mab opex is suffering bad losses. It seems fleet mix and poor network planning was to blame.

According to rumours mill; talk with t* is faded and mab opex is suffering bad losses. It seems fleet mix and poor network planning was to blame.

MH suffering loses? This rumours mill continues to surprise!

Well, they hastily cut their European routes which, albeit was loss-making, fed into their network at the other end. Now they have nothing coming from Europe apart from LHR. They then decided to collaborate with EK for their European flights. We realised that was a problem after our dear CM destroyed MH in Europe and the ran off to work for EK!

Then their misplaced strategy of concentrating on China to Australia flights .... look at how many airlines and P2P routes there are, just with Chinese and other Far Eastern carriers. MH is not the only one - it already has a bad reputation in China following the unfortunately loss of MH370. I keep repeating this because I feel this has been a huge mistake. But who am I apart from another keyboard warrior. Ive supported our national carrier so much for the past 30 or so years but I dont know now. Its perhaps time to sell them off so that they can be managed efficiently as a private concern, rather than allowing them to be milked to death by politicians. Shutting it down and restarting is not going to work as long as it remains a GLC.

Edited by Izanee

Well, they hastily cut their European routes which, albeit was loss-making, fed into their network at the other end. Now they have nothing coming from Europe apart from LHR. They then decided to collaborate with EK for their European flights. We realised that was a problem after our dear CM destroyed MH in Europe and the ran off to work for EK!

Then their misplaced strategy of concentrating on China to Australia flights .... look at how many airlines and P2P routes there are, just with Chinese and other Far Eastern carriers. MH is not the only one - it already has a bad reputation in China following the unfortunately loss of MH370. I keep repeating this because I feel this has been a huge mistake. But who am I apart from another keyboard warrior. Ive supported our national carrier so much for the past 30 or so years but I dont know now. Its perhaps time to sell them off so that they can be managed efficiently as a private concern, rather than allowing them to be milked to death by politicians. Shutting it down and restarting is not going to work as long as it remains a GLC.

+1