MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

MAS Privatisation

As Pakatan Harapan considers its next step with regard to Malaysia Airlines, DAP man Julian Tan has suggested a way to salvage the ailing national carrier.

Trained as an aerospace engineer and researcher, the former Stampin MP stressed that there was a need for someone with the “guts” to cancel any bad contracts.

“It takes someone with guts to weed out the weed in MAS and terminate contracts that are detrimental to the survival of MAS.

“[...] What is needed is courage and determination to do the necessary - to revise contracts, weed out unwanted wastages, and streamline existing operation to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness,” he said in a statement today.

He said MAB had an irreplaceable role in the local airline industry, as it caters to business, premium, and economy packages, all which appeals to a different market segment compared to other airlines such as AirAsia.

“MAS plays an irreplaceable role, offering a comprehensive range of services and flexibility that no other local carrier is able to match,” he said.

Economic Affairs minister Mohamed Azmin Ali previously revealed that MAB had secured a new charter service from Kuala Lumpur to Madinah in Saudi Arabia aimed at Muslim pilgrims.

Tan further analysed that the airline had only become loss-making due to being “enmeshed” in politics, having a poor management team and becoming a “milking ground” for political cronies.

“No more political entanglement, MAB has more than what it needs to survive and thrive,” he said.

Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad previously said that the government was mullingshutting down, selling or refinancing MAB.

However, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng later clarified that the government would not shut down the national carrier, instead it was merely one of the options presented to the prime minister.

In 2014, the airline was taken private by government wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Bhd and injected with RM6 billion in a bid to return it to profitability within three years.

Earlier this month, Khazanah attributed its first pre-tax loss in 13 years largely to MAB’s performance.

https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/468234?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Vf-krBCvJG-H9iwPH8M0Aqkj3lFSrH1sF-Hfqkh_J3cng3PZ7_CnUEI4

PETALING JAYA (March 19): The Malaysia Airlines Retirees Association says the country needs a national carrier and it is offering its services to help overhaul the airline.

Speaking at a media briefing today, Malaysia Airlines Retirees Association patron Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Abdul Rahman said Malaysia needs a national carrier, as "any country worth its salt has a national carrier".

He added it is imperative that the airline is sustained and that it sees a return to its glory days.

In particular, he highlighted that the national carrier has seen many of its capabilities such as maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services closed and that the loss of network was particularly damaging.

Abdul Aziz further added that the total approximate RM2 billion loss posted by the airline from 2014 until today has led to the airline now being "in hell".

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/malaysia-airlines-retirees-association-steps-overhaul-national-carrier

End patronage not Malaysia Airlines — Sharan Raj

MARCH 15 — Analysts and politician cannot just argue to shut down or sell our Malaysia Airlines based on accumulated loss of RM2.5 billion without acknowledging the flawed execution on the turnaround plan.

Post restructure, we still refer our national carrier as MAS instead of MAB showcasing our deep love for our Malaysia Airlines.

Personally, I have only flown on Malaysia Airlines and their One World Alliances for all my professional and personal trips throughout my lifetime but only twice on AirAsia.

I am not writing this article to protect my Enrich points or my free flights but to protect the 14,000 personnel in our national carrier that ensure my dignity by timely arrival at my clients’ countries and safe return home to my loved ones.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/what-you-think/2019/03/15/end-patronage-not-malaysia-airlines-sharan-raj/1732965

Edited by David.W

it's high time to sell off MAB and or close it down if there are no buyers or takers, as after years of several "restucturings" to the tune of rm26 BILLION, MAB will hardly be able to make any profit or if it does a very modest one but its debts are way to high. One other solution is to see if Air Asia wants to take it over ad run it as a premium airline/ Definitely MAB under Khazanah or any govt-linked vehicles will never make the grade.

The government is not in a position to extend a lifeline to ailing national carrier Malaysia Airlines Berhad (MAS), Economic Affairs Minister Azmin Ali said.

"Well that is only an option, but certainly we want to see what is the best option available before us because, as mentioned by the prime minister, we have spent a huge amount of money for the last five years and currently we don't have the capacity to do so," Azmin told reporters at Parliament today.
The minister said this when asked if the government would bail out MAS.
Extensive milking of MAS started after Mr 019 acquired the company in 1990's and management competency went down hill from there on. "National service" was and still is the favourite reason for incurring losses.

According to rumours mill; t* is in talk to take a minority stake with management control.

Oh dear, is it the same t* from before or the t with an inclination to the colour red?

According to rumours mill; t* is in talk to take a minority stake with management control.

Piratization is here again! And I think he'll have to take it to atone for his sins of supporting Bossku prior to the elections. Probably even pay a premium.

MH will end up like FAX - dead as a doornail. Great!

I would be extremely surprised

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2019/03/23/tony-not-the-remedy-but-the-problem-say-malaysia-airlines-veterans/

Aziz said he could not understand how Malaysia Airlines continued to post huge losses despite recording a load factor of 78%.

Load factor is a measure of the percentage the aircraft is filled.

“During my tenure, if you could achieve a load factor of 72%, you could record profits of millions of dollars,” said Aziz, who helmed MAS from 1981 to 1991.

He is living in another world.....the past!

Mohd Jabarullah Abdul Kadir, a former adviser to the Malaysia Airlines System Employees Union (Maseu), said Rayer’s idea was in poor taste.

“Malaysia Airlines is part of the national pride and it has sufficient talent pool to run it,” he said, adding that its parent company Khazanah Nasional, which took the airline private in 2014 with a RM6 billion plan to turn it around, made the mistake of bringing in foreigners to head the airline.

For the unions...the bad bad foreigners were the big mistake.....omg...

It's crazy sometimes reading news on MH when it involves their staff and ex-staff.

Incredibly out of reality.

In other news;

Daim: Foreign companies showing interest in Malaysia Airlines' stake

By Bernama - March 25, 2019 @ 11:13pm

KUALA LUMPUR: Several foreign companies, including from Europe, Asia and the Middle East, are keen to acquire a stake in Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), the Council of Eminent Persons chairman Tun Daim Zainuddin said.

He said they do not necessarily take over the whole company but may hold only part of the national carrier's interest that is currently 100 per cent owned by Khazanah Nasional Bhd.

“Alhamdulillah, those who are keen to buy MAB stocks are either from Asia, Europe and the Middle East. They have expressed their wish to the government and some have written to me.

"They can do research on the company (MAB)," he said in an interview on TV3’s prime-time Buletin Utama tonight.

Daim said the aviation sector is increasingly complex and complicated, and huge funds and expertise are extremely important to grow the business.

Consequently, he said if part of MAB's interest is sold to a foreign company, it will get capital injections and expertise, indirectly restoring the company.

“It is okay if others want to buy our stocks, if they want to bring in expertise, then bring it," he said.

He said the government should not interfere with the national carrier’s operations and it is suffice to lend its support it by helping to secure landing rights at strategic locations.

Daim, however, does not see the need to review the proposed merger of Malaysia Airlines and Airasia as previously mentioned.

“Malaysia Airlines is a premium airline, while AirAsia is a low-cost carrier. It is better that they compete ... (We get) better value then," he said.

Daim said whatever the government's decide, the future and welfare of MAB's employees should be safeguarded as they are the ones who would bring the company out of the financial problems. -- BERNAMA

1,224 reads
Edited by kandiah k

1.There is only 1 way forward for malaysia airlines.To be acquired by a foreign company who has deep pockets and as well as good air coverage in Europe.MH have asia/Australasia pretty well covered.

Better fleet management and better product delivery as well.

2.On the Nasi lemak issue,its getting more and more less.On my recent trip to Auckland i though the NL i got somehow wasn't rite so i asked crew if this is how it is meant to be and they said yes.Just a mini egg on it.No peanuts/bilis anymore as well.Still tasted good tho.

3. With the luck they have been having so far,they should think of cancelling their max 8/10 orders and switch to A320 NEo

Special Report: Saving Malaysia Airlines, again

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/special-report-saving-malaysia-airlines-again

Special Report: Malaysia Airlines sees improvement in 2019, but likely to miss profit target again

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/special-report-malaysia-airlines-sees-improvement-2019-likely-miss-profit-target-again

Special Report: Flag carrier’s financial condition

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/special-report-flag-carriers-financial-condition

Edited by flee

Mavcom: Time for airlines to go beyond code-sharing, alliances

KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): It is about time airline companies such as Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) go beyond code-sharing or alliances and look into regional tie-up to survive in the highly competitive and capital-intensive industry.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/03/31/mavcom-time-for-airlines-to-go-beyond-code-sharing-alliances/#yrzijmVY6ksAAslQ.99

Problem is - with whom?

Garuda? Most definitely not, the Indonesian wouldn't want Malaysian hands to mix with their own flag carrier.

Singapore? Why would they bother?

Thai? Same thing.

Royal Brunei? What for?

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

National airlines are really a dying breed... I doubt that Airasia would be able to do so many JVs if they were a flag carrier.

Perhaps, MAB should go back to the past and become a world class MRO provider again. Asia is going to have so many aircraft in need of MRO. Thailand has already recognised this and they are building up their MRO capability. Malaysia should do the same.