MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Rumours saying that the car park at KLIA2 is scheduled for operation in May 2013, and it's charging at RM160 per month! Any opinions about it? Is it expensive? Or fair enough? :unsure:

I pay more than RM160 per month for parking at LCCT, may be I should apply for a season parking :)

I met with Dato' Ahmad Bahsir, the CEO of MAHB at KLIA. He was behind me in line for passport check. I wasn't sure to 'hit him with a textbook' or praise him for bringing KLIA2 to life, alternatively, bringing Malaysia to world map....... :ph34r: :ph34r:

I don't know for sure but I reckon parking charges in premium areas in KL is right around the RM160. KLCC last I heard charges RM210, KL Sentral around RM140. So I think it is quite a fair amount.

But relatively speaking its a drastic increase from what the staff are used to pay now.

Edited by Walter Sim

KLIA2 progress fact sheet copied from SSC forum:

Official Opening : May 1, 2013
Floor Area : 257,000 m2
Handling Capacity : 45 million passengers per annum
Parking Bays : 68 (gates) 80 (aerobridges) and 8 (remote stands)
Milestone : World's largest purpose-built terminal for Low Cost Carriers

1. KLIA2 will host a new control tower. It will be the 3rd one for KL International Airport.

2. KLIA2 will feature Asia's first airport skybridge. With 300m in total length, it will be equipped with walkalators.

3. KLIA2 will host an all-new 4.4km runway, which will be the 3rd one for KL International Airport.

4. The main retailer at the Hong Kong International Airport, Nuance Watson, will commence its first Malaysian duty-free operations at the KLIA2.

5. The Airport express train - the Express Rail Link (ERL) - will connect both KLIA2 and KLIA with the Kuala Lumpur City Air Terminal at KL Sentral.

6. According to operator Malaysia Airports, KLIA2 expects to handle 20 million passengers in the 1st year of operations.

7. The 45-million terminal (Phase 1) will begin operations in May 2013 with at least 10 low-cost airlines, six of which are members of the AirAsia Group.

8. Malaysia's latest airline - Malindo Air - operated by Indonesia's Lion Air is expected to operate out from KLIA2. Malindo plans to parked over 100 aircrafts in its new base over the next decade.

9. Tune Hotels Group is currently constructing its new Tune Hotel @ KLIA2 which will feature over 400 rooms. The existing hotel at KL-LCCT will be closed once the new hotel commenced operations.

10. KLIA2 will feature a landside shopping mall of NLA 437,000 sq ft, a 6,000-parking complex and a multi-modal transportation hub for buses, taxis and the ERL.

11. Nearby to the KLIA2 will be the site for the first Mitsui Outlet Park factory outlets outside of Japan.

KLIA2 progress fact sheet copied from SSC forum:

Official Opening : May 1, 2013

Floor Area : 257,000 m2

Handling Capacity : 45 million passengers per annum

Parking Bays : 68 (gates) 80 (aerobridges) and 8 (remote stands)

Milestone : World's largest purpose-built terminal for Low Cost Carriers

1. KLIA2 will host a new control tower. It will be the 3rd one for KL International Airport.

2. KLIA2 will feature Asia's first airport skybridge. With 300m in total length, it will be equipped with walkalators.

3. KLIA2 will host an all-new 4.4km runway, which will be the 3rd one for KL International Airport.

4. The main retailer at the Hong Kong International Airport, Nuance Watson, will commence its first Malaysian duty-free operations at the KLIA2.

5. The Airport express train - the Express Rail Link (ERL) - will connect both KLIA2 and KLIA with the Kuala Lumpur City Air Terminal at KL Sentral.

6. According to operator Malaysia Airports, KLIA2 expects to handle 20 million passengers in the 1st year of operations.

7. The 45-million terminal (Phase 1) will begin operations in May 2013 with at least 10 low-cost airlines, six of which are members of the AirAsia Group.

8. Malaysia's latest airline - Malindo Air - operated by Indonesia's Lion Air is expected to operate out from KLIA2. Malindo plans to parked over 100 aircrafts in its new base over the next decade.

9. Tune Hotels Group is currently constructing its new Tune Hotel @ KLIA2 which will feature over 400 rooms. The existing hotel at KL-LCCT will be closed once the new hotel commenced operations.

10. KLIA2 will feature a landside shopping mall of NLA 437,000 sq ft, a 6,000-parking complex and a multi-modal transportation hub for buses, taxis and the ERL.

11. Nearby to the KLIA2 will be the site for the first Mitsui Outlet Park factory outlets outside of Japan.

Can't wait!

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd is prepared for its impending shift to the new low-cost airport, KLIA2, said Malaysia AirAsia chief executive officer Aireen Omar.

She said the low-cost airline was set and was awaiting the nod from Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd to occupy the new airport, which was slated to start operations in May.

Since the commencement of the new airport’s infrastructure development, the airline has been gearing itself to move in all areas inclusive of operations, logistics and ground handling.

Aireen said AirAsia, which would be the biggest tenant at KLIA2, was closely monitoring developments at the airport.

“We have an operational team to monitor developments. I am also in the team and we meet quite often to discuss issues pertaining to the new airport.

“However, we will always make sure that every aspect in KLIA2 such as the runway and other facilities will be suitable for a low-cost business module. For that, we will have continuous engagement with the airport operator (Malaysia Airports),” Aireen told Bernama. She also said the current low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) has reached its maximum capacity of 15 million passengers per annum.“Malaysia AirAsia even carried 20 million passengers this year. The LCCT will not offer us and guests the right environment in coming times,” she added.

The RM3.6bil KLIA2, built to cater for the explosive growth expected in low-cost travel, is sprawled over 257,000 sq m. and is envisaged to handle a maximum of 45 million passenger a year.The airport will have 60 gates, eight remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space of 32,000 square metres to accommodate 225 retail outlets. — Bernama

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/1/3/business/12528917&sec=business

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/klia2-to-open-on-june-28-says-najib/

SEPANG, Jan 5 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today announced that the new low-cost airport here, dubbed KLIA2, will be launched on June 28, coinciding with the launch date of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in 1998.

The premier said the airport was scheduled to be ready by May, but the operations would not be rushed as there were some teething issues to be solved before its opening.

“We should go through some of the teething problems with the new terminal and once it is ready, then KLIA2 will be fully operational.

“As a target, I have decided that it should coincide with the date of the opening of KLIA. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to open KLIA2 on June 28,” he said.

Najib said this at the launching of a specially designed 1 Malaysia AirAsia aircraft livery to commemorate the start of the 1 Malaysia Integration Programme with AirAsia at the LCCT (Low-Cost Carrier Terminal) here.

Also present were Minister of Youth and Sports Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, AirAsia group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad.

Bashir said MAHB welcomed the prime minister’s decision not to rush the opening of the KLIA2 and to coincide it with the opening date of KLIA.

He said all issues pertaining to the new airport were expected to be settled before the opening date to avoid even minor glitches during operations.

“We do not want to rush. I think the prime minister has the same thought in mind. We have seen many airports worldwide failed because they were rushed into operations.

“It is something exciting also if the date coincides (KLIA and KLIA2) as it will be a double celebration for us at MAHB,” Bashir said.

The RM3.6 billion KLIA2, built to cater for the explosive growth expected in low-cost travel, is sprawled over 257,000 sq metres and is envisaged to handle a maximum of 45 million passengers a year.

The airport will have 60 gates, eight remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space covering 32,000 sq metres to accommodate 225 retail outlets. — Bernama

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

So now it's June?

From the article as below, it seems the PM Najib wants it to be end of June...

SEPANG: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak today announced that the new low-cost airport, dubbed KLIA2, will be launched on June 28 this year, co-inciding with the launch date of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in 1998.

The premier said the airport was scheduled to be ready by May this year, but the operations would not be rushed as there were some teething issues to be solved before its opening.
"We should go through some of the teething problems with the new terminal and once it is ready, then KLIA2 will be fully operational.
"As a target, I have decided that it should co-incide with the date of the opening of KLIA. Hopefully, I will have the opportunity to open KLIA2 on June 28," he said.
Najib said this at the launching of a specially designed 1Malaysia AirAsia aircraft livery to commemorate the start of 1Malaysia Integration Programme with AirAsia at the LCCT (Low-Cost Carrier Terminal) here today.
Also present were Minister of Youth and Sports, Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, AirAsia's Group Chief Executive Officer, Tan Sri Tony Fernandes and Managing Director of Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad.
Bashir said MAHB welcomed the prime minister's decision not to rush the opening of the KLIA2 and to coincide it with the opening date of KLIA.
He said all issues pertaining to the new airport were expected to be settled before the opening date to avoid even any minor glitches during operations.
"We do not want to rush. I think the prime minister has the same thought in mind. We have seen many airports worldwide fail because they were rushed into operations.
"It is something exciting also if the date coincides (KLIA & KLIA2), as it will be a double celebration for us at MAHB," Bashir said.
The RM3.6 billion KLIA2, built to cater for the explosive growth expected in low-cost travel, is sprawled over 257,000 sq metres and is envisaged to handle a maximum of 45 million passengers a year.
The airport will have 60 gates, eight remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space covering 32,000 sq metres to accommodate 225 retail outlets. -- BERNAMA

I have to agree with Najib this time. Let's not rush things. Let them finish their job and give them time to sort out imperfections. I dont want it to become another Penang Airport. Shoddy finishings with substandard workmanship. For project of this scale, the May deadline is not realistic at all. MAHB have to give the date to satisfy AirAsia before being bombarded with accusations from the fat man.

I believe he said "Hopefully I will have the opportunity to open KLIA on June 28 as my current position..." or something around that..

Edited by Syukri

I have to agree with Najib this time. Let's not rush things. Let them finish their job and give them time to sort out imperfections. I dont want it to become another Penang Airport. Shoddy finishings with substandard workmanship. For project of this scale, the May deadline is not realistic at all. MAHB have to give the date to satisfy AirAsia before being bombarded with accusations from the fat man.

I can't believe you always blame AirAsia or TF for every single matter/issues. The initial deadline was set by MAHB themselves, NOT by AirAsia. AirAsia had already predicted the initial deadline is not achievable, therefore had asked MAHB multiple time are they sure they (MAHB) can really meet the deadline. MAHB responded they're confident with the deadline.

Furthermore, everyone is the aviation forum also now, by the look of the current construction stage, there is no possibility that KLIA2 will be ready on time. The apron and runway aren't even tar yet.

MAHB and their contractors knew well ahead they couldn't make it at all. It's not about rushing thing, they are merely using so called 'teething issue' as an excuse. As you yourself has stated such a big project for May deadline is unachievable, If they are so confident that KLIA2 will be ready on time, they would have been starting to test all systems by NOW.

If they can't or not confident enough to achieve, then don't give your stakeholders a false hope. Any stakeholders will shout through the roof as any delay will jeopardise their future short, medium and long term plan. Every single second for them is about money.

And on a side note, Penang Airport contractors are appointed by MAHB as well. See the similarities???

mr najib might not be around come end-june. ;)

Either we are reading too much into his use of the word "hopefully..." or what he meant was simply Rosmah may want to do the ribbon cutting and he'll stand back and just watch.

anyway whatever it is or reasons - KLIA2 cannot be opened as planed in May - and even there's a good chance that it will not be ready even by end June as only about a month's extension will not work.

In this Star report: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/1/6/nation/12540322&sec=nation

On KLIA2, Najib said the project was expected to be completed by May.

Perhaps there will be a soft opening followed by the official launch. However, many of us here believe that KLIA2 is in serious trouble, as far as project completion schedule is concerned.

With MAHB's poor track record at the BKI and PEN airport projects, our pessimism is not unjustified.

..., by the look of the current construction stage, there is no possibility that KLIA2 will be ready on time. The apron and runway aren't even tar yet.

MAHB can still open the airport with "lencongan" (detour) signs on the apron and runway :lol:

MAHB can still open the airport with "lencongan" (detour) signs on the apron and runway :lol:

More detour signs inside the terminal building itself. Hahahaha. I do hope it comes with Anjung Tinjau.

Edited by GeO

KLIA2 planes will still need to use the old runways.

The third runway is not ready and will probably only be operational next year....

MAHB happy with klia2 opening date

MALAYSIA Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) welcomed the government's decision to open the country's second low-cost terminal airport on the anniversary of the KL International Airport (KLIA), the main aviation hub.

MAHB managing director Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad said the official opening of klia2 on June 28 would mark a double celebration.

According to the schedule, the airport is expected to be ready for operations by May but Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak expressed his opinion that there should be no rush in opening the new airport until it is ready.

The new date will enable the airport authorities to overcome teething problems with the new set-up, said Najib.

KLIA, which was opened in June 1998, had experienced teething problems in the first two weeks before seeing progress in its services subsequently.

Costing over RM3.6 billion, klia2 will be the world's largest purpose-built terminal for low-cost carriers (LCCs) with the capacity to serve up to 45 million passengers annually. This means it is ready to cater for the explosive growth in low-cost travel.

"With the (new) date on June 28, that will give more time for testing and all," Bashir said, when met after the launch of AirAsia's 1Malaysia aircraft livery by Najib at the LCCT here last Saturday.

He said many airports worldwide failed due to their eagerness to start operations without resolving the glitches first.

"We must not rush into a big project, we have to do it well and make sure every thing is ready when we are open."

On another note, Bashir was optimistic about the 2013 outlook, describing it as a good year for the airline operator.

He said on the cards, MAHB will be mana-ging two airports abroad, one of which will be based in Asia. He did not elaborate.

There were recent news reports saying MAHB is making a bid for UK's Stansted Airport.

It currently provides airport operation and technical services for several international airports which include Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad and Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi in India, and Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen International Airport in Turkey.

Meanwhile, AirAsia group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said he was looking forward to moving into the new address in May.

"The construction of klia2 matches Air-Asia's large investment in the purchase of aircraft, which now totals 475, as well as marketing, route development and branding."

He recalled on the carrier's growth since it started a decade ago. Then it had a staff of 250, two aircraft and six routes but the number has risen to 10,000 staff who operate 126 aircraft, serving almost 80 destinations and 172 routes.

Tony also thanked the government, saying the cut in airport tax had enhanced Malaysia's potential as a hub for LCCs and was also a catalyst in creating AirAsia as a global airline.

AirAsia has seen a 30 per cent growth in passenger growth annually and in 2012 the number rose to 36 million passengers.

Its regional base in Jakarta, he said, is also important in preparing for a more liberalised aviation industry under the Asean Open Skies initiative, which is set to come into force in 2015.

Source: http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/rup5d/Article/index_html