MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

I hope we won't have shattering glasses, collapsing bridges (be it road or aero), leaking roofs (or worse, collapsing) etc in order to make it in time for the aggressive deadline.

Just look at the KLIA2 site how busy it is... another 2months to go.....

Less than a month now :D

KUALA LUMPUR, March 7 (Bernama) -- The terminal building at the new KLIA2 low-cost airport has surpassed 80 per cent completion rate, says Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) Senior General Manager (Commercial Services) Faizah Khairuddin.

Construction of the 257,000 sq. m. KLIA2 is on track, she said, adding MAHB is working with the contractor to make sure the construction and internal works of the terminal building conclude by May 1.

Does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the terminal building?

only have 31/1 from UEM builder

KLIA011319.jpg

KLIA011320.jpg

KLIA011317.jpg

KLIA011315.jpg

KLIA011314.jpg

look ceiling very low

KLIA011312.jpg

KLIA011311.jpg

KLIA011302.jpg

KLIA011306.jpg

Edited by Wi Ching

bit OT...I hope this time MAHB will hire a proper landscape architecture firm to carry out the landscaping for KLIA2...see what happen in KLIA. Ugly flower pots everywhere...such an eyesore..as always... :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

20130401071823.jpg

source : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=331041&page=114

Edited by Fairul

902340_560832797283467_2110630383_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=560832797283467&set=a.557295400970540.1073741916.100000702548721&type=3&theater

Just look at the KLIA2 site how busy it is... another 2months to go.. May the force be with you :D

Why most photo from this angle has people marching aroung the Bunga Raya dispersal? And who are they?

interesting article came out today in NST

AIRPORT MAINTENANCE: Our airports need to step up the game

- MAINTENANCE of airport facilities in both the KLIA, low-Cost Carrier Terminal and other airports under the control of MAHB must be monitored and improved, particularly the cleanliness of toilets by its contractors' staff;

- CONTRACT workers who are responsible for collecting and stacking trolleys in bays by the side of the carousel are not doing a proper job. What they are doing now is to collect the trolleys and push them up to the bay and jam them so tight that many elderly passengers have difficulties retrieving them. I have difficulty getting them and often need to ask for assistance;

- MANY taps in KLIA are not functioning and need to be rectified;

more from the link.-

http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/airport-maintenance-our-airports-need-to-step-up-the-game-1.246810

Edited by Fairul

.......... and no trolley in public car park (at least in block C) ......... if you have a few big bags with you, you are helpless there ......... :sorry:

Very user unfriendly .......

:hi:

Peoples' attitude is what contributes to issues like poor maintenance of public facilities. Unfortunately, there are Malaysians who would 'trash' public facilities & could not be bothered of taking good care of them. It is just so sad. Those are our taxpayers' money that are wasted.

Yes, I think the general public here have that mindset where they think it is not important to protect the public propoerty since it is not their own. We can see how they treat the trolleys, the public toilets and even the ignorance of following the public space rules. This is just my view anyway, no offence meant to the general public. :acute:

What happened? Thought Malaysian is a courteous bunch?

I wonder if KLIA2 will have the same fate as DOH. Cancel airport opening 2 hours before it opens! And its looks completed to me for quite a while.

I wonder if KLIA2 will have the same fate as DOH. Cancel airport opening 2 hours before it opens! And its looks completed to me for quite a while.

DOH (MTB) is far from complete. The concourse D & E still under construction, the lounges work are still on going and APM ( Automated People Mover ) are yet to be installed. Its a good move to open the concourse B ( 1/4/2013) for the LCCs, but in the end, QCDD (Qatar Civil Defense) has the final say. Clearly, lack of coordination between the steering committee and the contractors/authorities. Definitely Al-Baker is not happy. :lol:

As of KLIA2, I'd rather see further delay and get the work done properly. According to a friend who's in charge of the navigation system at the current KUL, there's no way the system installation at the tower gonna be completed by June. But hey, this is bolehland we're living in :D

Edited by Fairul

Is the main con for KLIA2 and PEN airport expansion the same company ?

That will be something to worry about if it is the same company indeed! Hopefully no glitches like the Penang Airport project and KT Stadium :sorry:

This was taken on the 7th April 2013. Obviously the contractors are working to complete the aprons/taxiway system facing the current RWY14R. This might be an indicator that it will be partially open on June 28. (my guess that is)

- the runway / taxiway system for the new RWY 14R/32L are not fully paved yet, few more layers needed.

- one side of the apron at the domestic pier are complete. The other side concrete have yet being laid.

- still no sign of aerobridge being installed at the completed apron at domestic pier. Only the hammerheads are complete.

IMG_1262_zpsbd5e4fdf.jpg

Opening of KLIA2 must be glitch free

THE construction of KLIA2 is on track, with the DCA Tower completed, and ahead of schedule.

On average, the construction of the new permanent low-cost carrier terminal in Sepang is 87% done, although different jobs are at different stages of construction.

So, there's only 13% more to go and that includes the commissioning period. Airport operator Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) is monitoring the progress on a daily basis.

And while the contractor for the tower did a speedy job, the same cannot be said of the original Runway 3 (R3) contractor. The original R3 contractor had actually confessed over two months ago that they could not finish the job on time.

While that was being very frank, fortunately, MAHB managed to get a replacement contractor the one that completed the tower and is proceeding on to the R3 job.

At present, the R3 works seem to be progessing on schedule at seemingly no extra cost, although the original contractor might lose some money because of his sunken cost. However, that is the price to pay for non-timely delivery. At this juncture, the R3 should be completed on time.

On the topic of delivery, several changes have been made to the completion date of KLIA2. Deferred from last year to April, we are now staring at June 28, the latest target date for completion.

This week, the winds of speculation blew again and an analyst hinted in his report of “an increased probability that KLIA2 would not be able to start operations by June 28”.

Any delays would possibly lead to cost overruns, from the planned budget of RM4bil to, perhaps, RM4.5bil, assuming there is a delay. However, it should be noted that the RM4bil includes a small buffer for the unforseeable.

The analyst also pointed out that MAHB might need time to run tests and checks before commissioning the airport, and this could take an additional three to six months. But all that is well within the completion timeline.

While the analyst is entitled to his views, it is really up to the contractors to complete the job on time.

No party should drag their feet and try to get more in acceleration works while they are busy undertaking other jobs elsewhere. In short, they should not compromise one job over another.

But then again, complicated airport construction works to opening delays is a given around the world. The Denver airport, for instance, faced huge baggage system problems on Day 1. The Hong Kong airport, meanwhile, had its own issues, while the Doha airport had to delay its opening. Not to be outdone, the Berlin airport has delayed its opening four times!

Whatever the issue or problem, the key is for all parties to work towards completing the job on time, and ensuring that on the opening day and subsequently, there are no glitches, as KLIA2 is set to be the main gateway for low-cost traffic.

The opening day experience should be a memorable one and not one filled with frustrations.

For that, a delay is better than a glitch, because at the end of the day, a glitch is something passengers tend to remember.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/4/19/business/12990974&sec=business

Really hope there would not be major issues when the terminal is operational. I think we can expect slight hiccups here & there with a project of this size. I can't wait to experience this new terminal. Cannot stand the current 'tin can', with overcrowding, inefficient air-conditioning & so forth....

I'm also curious to know how planes will take-off & land? Current mode is mostly take-off 32R & landing 32L. With the new 32L, will that change? So 32L/14R will become 32C/14C?

But then again, complicated airport construction works to opening delays is a given around the world. The Denver airport, for instance, faced huge baggage system problems on Day 1. The Hong Kong airport, meanwhile, had its own issues, while the Doha airport had to delay its opening. Not to be outdone, the Berlin airport has delayed its opening four times!

For that, a delay is better than a glitch, because at the end of the day, a glitch is something passengers tend to remember.

I see that as groundwork being laid up to prepare for the inevitable :)