MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

Well he has to start with his home country first before he pushes for those things elsewhere

Home now for Tan Sri is Jakarta :D

Yup, now push the Indonesians first :)

hahahah ... BC... i agree, let him try that first.

Flee - CGK is not exactly a 'megahub' --> most of their traffic is domestic rather than international.

If given the opportunity they will charge FSC fare for LCC price. It has happened before.

If given the opportunity they will charge FSC fare for LCC price. It has happened before.

It is probably due to timing. An illustration case:

A family member was looking for a return ticket to MEL for travel in Jan 2013. During the previous MH sales, the MH return ticket costs about RM 2,300. D7 tickets were going for around RM 2,200. Naturally, MH got the booking as D7 tickets excluded food and luggage.

Today, a check shows that MH return tickets are now priced at RM 2,800 while D7 tickets are around RM 2,000.

Moral of the story - always check the fares of all airlines serving the route if you want the best deals. Airasia is perceived to be the cheapest but they are not always so, especially during non-sale periods and booking at short notice.

Worst thing is that sometimes they are charging FSC for a destination that MH did not serve.

Worst thing is that sometimes they are charging FSC for a destination that MH did not serve.

I which case, how is one to know what the FSC fare is supposed to be ? :)

Assuming we adhere to the (imho flawed) mindset that AK=cheaper=LCC & MH=more expensive=FSC :D

Assuming we adhere to the (imho flawed) mindset that AK=cheaper=LCC & MH=more expensive=FSC :D

Last year I flew QR, KUL/OSL return, for RM1281 nett. 5-star FSC some more. :D

not really accurate comparison but their flight to VTE can be more expensive than MH flight to BKK. Which by right should be cheaper esp. with LCC tag on them?? :)

Last year I flew QR, KUL/OSL return, for RM1281 nett. 5-star FSC some more. :D

Yes I am still hunting for that kind of offer. Should be around this time, right. :D

That QR fare is indeed very special. It was the launch offer. Therefore it is a one off offer - not to be repeated.

If distance to the runway for takeoff was his main concern, then choosing CGK for his long term Indonesian home might not be wise move after all. He's only there to make some noises, complaints here and there, but alas it's a good thing. Help keep the Gov and MAHB on their toe.

not really accurate comparison but their flight to VTE can be more expensive than MH flight to BKK. Which by right should be cheaper esp. with LCC tag on them?? :)

Fine example here to sing of and heap praises on market competition !! : D

Home now for Tan Sri is Jakarta :D

Yup, now push the Indonesians first :)

He still thinks home is Malaysia lah... Jakarta is his new office. Latest tweet:

About to launch Busan Tokyo. Busan. Who would have thought that 10 years ago. Building an malaysian global brand. And proud to be Asean

Fine example here to sing of and heap praises on market competition !! : D

Competition is good in a perfect market. But there is no such thing as a perfect market. There is always something to protect - e.g the EADS-BAe merger was supposed to be good for EU competition with US' Boeing. But it was blocked by the German govt.

Another example is D7's monopolistic Tehran route - despite high fares, it was not sustainable. Politics and economic sanctions threw the spanner in the works there. In Malaysia we have similar invisible hands that makes true competition hard to achieve.

TF is frustrated with MAHB because they are not a world class company. He is a competitive person but MAHB isn't. This is something he posted in his blog in July 2012:

Those who attack me for questioning MAHB say I’m arrogant. But this isn’t attitude, it’s about not settling for second place and challenging things that are not right. Corporate Malaysia has to tell our leaders what’s wrong.

Neither is this about government-linked companies versus private ones. It’s about being the best, period.

I am proud to be Malaysian and want this country to excel. But an undependable airport operator does no one any favours, not least when our neighbours are taking aggressive steps to tap into the rapid growth of low-cost carriers.

Already Thailand has made Don Mueang the low-cost hub for Bangkok. The Philippines too has designated Clark as the gateway for no-frills carriers. Singapore is building a new budget terminal which will more than double capacity to 16 million passengers a year from seven million.

It’s clear the world won’t wait for MAHB to get its act together. Time is running out.

TF is frustrated with MAHB because they are not a world class company. He is a competitive person but MAHB isn't. This is something he posted in his blog in July 2012:

But he also said this in Bangkok :

"AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes was also present at the airport yesterday and said this relocation was a crucial step for Thailand to become a low-cost-carrier hub in the region. He added that cutting down the international passenger service charge would certainly help. He cited Malaysia, which only charges passengers Bt300 (S$12)"

But he also said this in Bangkok :

"AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes was also present at the airport yesterday and said this relocation was a crucial step for Thailand to become a low-cost-carrier hub in the region. He added that cutting down the international passenger service charge would certainly help. He cited Malaysia, which only charges passengers Bt300 (S$12)"

Very consistent message - drive down costs...

LCCs are not called LCCs for nothing. They focus so much on costs that every cost item is scrutinised carefully.

Can't expect everything to be perfect - so he is voicing out what is not right about the Thai aviation policies, just like he is voicing out about the moving goalposts in KLIA2 construction.

Very consistent message - drive down costs...

LCCs are not called LCCs for nothing. They focus so much on costs that every cost item is scrutinised carefully.

Can't expect everything to be perfect - so he is voicing out what is not right about the Thai aviation policies, just like he is voicing out about the moving goalposts in KLIA2 construction.

Hahaha... indeed I have been blind as a bat to his Bachmann's logic... :p

According to people working on the project;

Due to poor soil condition, apron and taxiway is expected to sink about 1 meter over 10 years period and continuous repair i.e. topping up is unavoidable.

A few incursions had occurred at 14C/32C blocked off runway mean when machineries are working on connecting taxiway, 14C/32C may only available for taking off only.

14R/32L is expected to complete months if not a year after terminal building.

KLIA2 is unlikely will be operational in 2Q/2013.

Edited by KK Lee

Due to poor soil condition, apron and taxiway is expected to sink about 1 meter over 10 years period and continuous repair i.e. topping up is unavoidable.

So the contractors are guaranteed for works for the enxt 10 years

hahahah, that is excellent! all fingers in the pie, at all times :)

KLIA2 is unlikely will be operational in 2Q/2013.

Most people are not optimistic about KLIA2 being able to open in 2013. That means that it is more than 2 years behind schedule.

Yes, that is why AirAsia is so concerned - all this will escalate airport costs, and passengers will have to pay for that.

Until soil settlement. MAHB could pile the whole apron and taxiway but decided not to :unknw:

Until soil settlement. MAHB could pile the whole apron and taxiway but decided not to :unknw:

Yes, this is like the same situation on the PlusWay between Pagoh and Tangkak - we get a very nice rock a bye baby ride for many, many years... Further south, they did the piling and the highway was rock steady...

But as far as MAHB is concerned, they have chosen an inappropriate site for KLIA 2 and refuse to admit it. So what better way to solve the problem than by moving the goal posts, i.e. changing the original airport masterplan...