MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

KLIA2 - New Mega Low Cost Carriers Terminal

KLIA Transit integrates with KTM Commuter and RapidKL LRT at Bandar Tasik Selatan and with Putrajaya Sentral at Putrajaya Cyberjaya station. I guess most people are just not aware of these interchanges.

Wow, walking all that way long? I thought it was supposedly a shuttle train service.

That's not long if compare to the current MTB-Satellite Building. At least they have walkalators for passenger use.

img00000018o.jpg

img00000024s.jpg

Taken earlier, klia2 seems to be taking shape well at the terminal. Roofing at main terminal seems almost done. No aerobridges and the apron is still messy with construction material and earth. The approach roads seem complete, as well as the ERL link.

IMG_0136_zps12e5752e.jpg

Image copied from another thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18752&do=findComment&comment=322069

Looking at this one has to wonder:

1. Is the new Runway 32L / 14R built for space shuttle landing?

2. Looks like no high-speed exit being built for Runway 32C / 14C towards KLIA2. So aircraft landing on 32C will exit and taxi via C or D then get tower clearance to cross 32C to terminal?

3. How much fuel do the airlines burn just for taxiing at this airport?

I thought NASA space shuttle fleets are no longer operational (or was it just a sarcastic statement :))

I thought NASA space shuttle fleets are no longer operational (or was it just a sarcastic statement :))

Maybe MAHB wasn't aware of that... Anyone knows what's the planned length of that runway?

2. Looks like no high-speed exit being built for Runway 32C / 14C towards KLIA2. So aircraft landing on 32C will exit and taxi via C or D then get tower clearance to cross 32C to terminal?

Interesting to see what kind of ops will be the SOP for KLIA2. MAB has said that the new 14R/32L will only be ready six months after the opening of KLIA2. So the existing runways will be used. It will be a long, long, taxi to 32R takeoffs!

When the new 14R/32L is ready, they might initally use 14R for takeoffs and 32C for landings. However this may not always be possible if the winds are not co-operative.

If I remember correctly, they will only build a new taxiway for 14R/32L later on, well after the airport has opened. With the use of 14R for takeoffs, we may get to see more mixed mode ops on 32R.

Maybe MAHB wasn't aware of that... Anyone knows what's the planned length of that runway?

Initially, it was planned to be 3 km. However, I remember reading that the contract awarded was for a 4 km runway.

Edited by flee

Initially, it was planned to be 3 km. However, I remember reading that the contract awarded was for a 4 km runway.

Looks much longer than the 4km 14C/32C.

Well you know how it can be nowadays, pay for 4km but get only 3km :D

Edited by BC Tam

Looks much longer than the 4km 14C/32C.

I think it is perspective distortion - the camera angle has distorted the length of the runway under construction.

BTW, the runway looks like it is almost ready. So it may open at the same time as the terminal. Perhaps all those other delays constructing the terminal have helped as runway construction is independent of terminal construction. I note that the public road infrastructure is all ready - so it looks like the main delays are taking place at the terminal itself.

I wonder - once the construction of klia2 is completed, will we get Jalan Pekeliling back? Perhaps a road that'll extend all the way to the new terminal?

With MAHB so paranoid about security, I would be very surprised if that road is reopened for public use. It may be used as a service road, though.

BTW, the runway looks like it is almost ready. So it may open at the same time as the terminal. Perhaps all those other delays constructing the terminal have helped as runway construction is independent of terminal construction. I note that the public road infrastructure is all ready - so it looks like the main delays are taking place at the terminal itself.

Yeah the runway looks almost ready but I don't see any taxiways for that runway even near as ready...

Maybe AirAsia's buses are off-road capable..

I wonder - once the construction of klia2 is completed, will we get Jalan Pekeliling back? Perhaps a road that'll extend all the way to the new terminal?

As per DCA's AIC, the road will still be there for access to the Meteo facilities which will stay at the current location. But no direct access to the terminal from there without going airside so definitely no public access. I don't think the part before the Meteo facilities will be open too.

http://aip.dca.gov.my/aip%20pdf%20new/AIC/AIC%20201001.pdf

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

From the plan, that road will end with another airside entry/exit for vehicles. High chances that it will still be possible to resume the spotting activities from that area. :yahoo:

IMG_0136_zps12e5752e.jpg

Image copied from another thread http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=18752&do=findComment&comment=322069

Looking at this one has to wonder:

3. How much fuel do the airlines burn just for taxiing at this airport?

Based on AIP, there will be no high-speed exit on the left of 32C, so looks like we'll have to vacate via the regular taxiway on the left. Because of this, and also for other reasons, I suspect a lot of us will be requesting to land 32L.

The new layout will be not much different than that at any other large airports e.g. SIN, CGK, HKG or BKK. The increased taxi fuel is just something we have to accept when operating at these airports.

Interesting to see what kind of ops will be the SOP for KLIA2. MAB has said that the new 14R/32L will only be ready six months after the opening of KLIA2. So the existing runways will be used. It will be a long, long, taxi to 32R takeoffs!

When the new 14R/32L is ready, they might initally use 14R for takeoffs and 32C for landings. However this may not always be possible if the winds are not co-operative.

If I remember correctly, they will only build a new taxiway for 14R/32L later on, well after the airport has opened. With the use of 14R for takeoffs, we may get to see more mixed mode ops on 32R.

If I was the capt, I would just request intersection A8 departure from 32R. Taxi route will be one straight line across the MTB C1-D1-F-B8-A8. TORA of 2887m is more than sufficient.

I don't think ATC will ever allow parallel runway operations with departures from 14R and arrivals on 32C...

Based on AIP, there will be no high-speed exit on the left of 32C, so looks like we'll have to vacate via the regular taxiway on the left. Because of this, and also for other reasons, I suspect a lot of us will be requesting to land 32L.

That is assuming 32L is ready for operation on the same day as KLIA2.

KLIA2 To Be Ready By May Despite Deferred Opening

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 23 (Bernama) -- The new low-cost airport, KLIA2, is set to be ready by May 1, although the commencement date has been deferred to June 28.

Airport operator, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) expects to honour its initial deadline as the postponed date is only to commemorate the inauguration of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) 15 years ago.

MAHB Senior General Manager (Commercial Services) Faizah Khairuddin said the grace period would be utilised amicably by the airport operator to perform testing, mock-operation drills and certain commissioning activities.

"The development of KLIA2 is on-track. MAHB is on-track to conclude the construction and internal works by May 1," she told Bernama.

From a commercial perspective, Faizah said the KLIA2 would commence operations, with more than 80 per cent of its commercial floor space taken up by reputable domestic and international brands.

She said MAHB has set a very clear brand positioning for the new airport and opening it with more than 80 per cent commercial occupancy, would position the airport on par with other of its international peers.

"We are going to open with above 80 per cent commercial occupancy. It is nothing to worry as MAHB has not opened the entire commercial space for tender.

"We only opened up 84 per cent and almost all floor space has been tendered out. This is a signal of very good acceptance and response towards KLIA2," Faizah said.

The KLIA2 is being built at a development cost of about RM4 billion to allow seamless connectivity for both local and international low-cost plus full-service carriers.

The new airport terminal is measured to be at least 257,000 square metres, with 60 gates, eight remote stands, 80 aerobridges plus a retail space of 32,000 square metres to accommodate 225 retail outlets.

The airport is designed to cater for 45 million passengers per annum.

this was taken earlier today from the tower.

DSC03309klia2_zps200045d8.jpg

DSC03340klia2_zps1ee87c8a.jpg

The control tower is still under construction. Would be amazed if the control tower is able to fully operate in June (don't forget they still need to undergo testing & commissioing of the equipment inside the buidling). I can see some piling machine between the apron & taxiway too. Wonder which acitivity is still at 'foundation' stage ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen