MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kenneth T

RM0 fares from Malaysia Airlines

Well, i have. Going to KUL on 28 Nov 08 and back to BKI on 3 Dec 08 with my friends. I paid only RM240 for the round-trip ticket. Sweet deal !

By the way, the RM0 tickets are for MAS domestic flights only and most RM0 tickets as far as i'm concerned, have been snapped up.

I agreed since the 0 fares comes with inflight service that food and beverages. I made a random search last nite and apparently still have seats left not sure by today.

Can anybody tell me if KUL-PEN is a snackbox route or no service route? I've booked myself KUL-PEN-KUL for RM152 to fly the MH A330 for KUL-PEN.

My last and only trip on MH was SIN-LGK-SIN back in 1994 so I really have no idea what to expect from MH nowadays.

Edited by Bennedic

OK I'm not sure why but when I tried to book KUL-KBR on 12 June it asked for my passport... :blink: :blink: :blink:

What the hell...!?!? Why should a Malaysian need to produce passport in domestic flights...!!?? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Anyway I'm flying via Firefly instead... Much nearer from SZB to Bandar Kinrara anyway...

Btw, while on the subjects on passports, do we need one to travel from the Peninsula to Sabah/Sarawak?

not needed, just produce your IC at the immigration counter. they'll give you a slip which entitles you to stay in sabah/sarawak for up to 3 months. if you're to stay there for a longer period, you have to apply for another kinda document. not sure what it's called.

Can anybody tell me if KUL-PEN is a snackbox route or no service route? I've booked myself KUL-PEN-KUL for RM152 to fly the MH A330 for KUL-PEN.

No snackbox on your flight. A choice of **water/orange juice/guava juice/apple juice and coffee/tea upon request with a pack of peanut is all you get on the 50 minutes flight.

**guava juice/apple juice sometimes are not offered.

OK I'm not sure why but when I tried to book KUL-KBR on 12 June it asked for my passport... :blink: :blink: :blink:

Actually you can leave it blank. Don't have to key in your passport number as it is not a mandatory field.

Btw, while on the subjects on passports, do we need one to travel from the Peninsula to Sabah/Sarawak?

Yes. You'll need one should you intend to stay there longer than 3 months.

if you're to stay there for a longer period, you have to apply for another kinda document. not sure what it's called.

You will need to apply a visa.

Now AK cannot bit MAS. I have paid RM760(MAS - 5 person) compare to RM1228(AK - 4 person) and get assigned seat.

Now AK cannot bit MAS. I have paid RM760(MAS - 5 person) compare to RM1228(AK - 4 person) and get assigned seat.

Not to mention 'free' food/drinks, good seat pitch, uncrowded MTB, and the list goes on... eheheehhee... :D

Edited by Yusoff

According to MH,

KUL/BKI/KUL return airfare for;

Supersaver RM240

Flexsaver RM898

Full Flex RM1298

KUL/KCH/KUL return airfare for;

Supersaver RM240

Flexsaver RM698

Full Flex RM998

KUL/KBR/KUL return airfare for;

Supersaver RM152

Flexsaver RM390

Full Flex RM610

From the above, we can derive;

Variable cost is about 27% to 39% (less if exclude airport tax) of Flexsaver fare.

:drinks:

The Associated Press

May 14, 2008, 12:30PM ET text size: TT

Malaysia Airlines offers free tickets

By EILEEN NG

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia

Flag carrier Malaysia Airlines said Wednesday it plans to offer one million free seats for flights within Southeast Asia as part of an aggressive campaign to boost sales and income amid high oil prices.

The Everyday Low Fares campaign will help the airline fill up its planes and recover some costs as passengers will have to pay the fuel surcharge, said its Managing Director Idris Jala.

"We are the first full service airline to do this in a big way," Jala said in a statement.

"This is a win-win situation for all. Our customers enjoy low fares and five-star services while we fill up our planes. We are not losing any revenue for this," he said.

The seats to be given away represent 30 percent of surplus capacity, Jala said.

Under the campaign, bookings can only be made online for 24 regional routes -- including selected routes from Malaysia to China -- for a two-week period from 21 May for travel between 1 July and 14 December.

Passengers will still have to pay airport tax, administration fees and the fuel surcharge. The free tickets are nonrefundable and will only be offered on lean flights.

Malaysia Airlines first launched the zero fare campaign for domestic destinations earlier this month, also offering a million free seats for travels between 10 June and 14 December.

The campaign has put the national carrier in direct competition with AirAsia, Southeast Asia's largest budget airline, which angrily accused Malaysia Airlines of copying its ongoing zero-fare campaign and unfairly cutting into its low-cost business.

Malaysia Airlines Chief Financial Officer Azmil Zaharuddin dismissed AirAsia's charge.

"We are not trying to become a low-cost carrier. We are simply selling seats that would otherwise remain unsold," he told reporters.

The move will augment the company's income as it grapples with high jet fuel prices, counter global inflation, boost tourism within the region and encourage better planning among travelers, he said.

Analysts warned that AirAsia is at the losing end as some passengers are likely to shift to the national carrier for services such as free baggage handling and food.

AirAsia could face a cash crunch due to high oil prices and the heightened competition, analysts said. Malaysia Airlines, in comparison, is financially stronger after returning to the black in 2007 following two years of losses,

"Passengers are clearly the winner, followed by Malaysia Airlines," Kenanga Investment Bank said in a report.

"We see AirAsia at a disadvantage ... the recent competition could further pressure AirAsia's load factor and passenger yield," it said.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D90LH8M00.htm

Thursday May 15, 2008

AirAsia raps MAS over deals

KUALA LUMPUR: The battle between the two local carriers AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines has turned up a notch after waging their fare wars.

Yesterday, AirAsia called on Malaysia Airlines to keep the competition fair and healthy and “not to take toys from its playground.”

Its group chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes also questioned yesterday why MAS was not promoting zero fares for non-AirAsia routes such as London and Sydney, to give more options to customers.

He also challenged MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala to publicly deny or accept allegations that subsidies for international flights were used to promote domestic low-fare promotions.

“Idris has not denied this openly. You cannot take subsidies and use it to promote zero fares.

“Subsidy, in any form, is dangerous if it causes predatory pricing. We also believe MAS received free subsidy to fund free trips to Europe,” he said.

Fernandes said while it was difficult for an entrepreneur to go up against a government-linked airline like MAS, a level playing field would keep things fair and balanced.

“Why are they only concentrating on our routes? MAS is turning into a low-cost carrier instead of being the premium airline it was set up to be.

“This fighting is ridiculous. We should be competing against foreign airlines,” said Fernandes, who challenged Idris to a public debate on the matter.

Later, MAS executive director and chief financial officer Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin denied that international flight subsidies had been diverted to fund the national carrier’s Everyday Low Fares product.

He said that “there was no such thing” and that the statements were baseless.

“There is no such thing as diverting our international flight subsidies into funding our low fare product.

“Each international and domestic route stands on its own and is subject to its respective profit and loss (P&L) mechanism,” he said.

Tengku Azmil also acknowledged that AirAsia had accused the national carrier of “tying the hands” of the budget carrier, but stressed that MAS was not competing with them.

Thursday May 15, 2008

MAS extends zero-fare offer to Asean routes

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is extending its Everyday Low Fares offer to Asean destinations and selected routes between China and Malaysia with an allocation of one million seats.

The landmark decision by the national carrier comes just over a week after it announced a similar product for all domestic destinations where travellers enjoy zero fares to fly to local destinations, subject to certain restrictions.

The domestic product has sold some 150,000 of the one million seats allotted since its launch on May 5.

“Another one million seats will also be offered for our new packages to both inbound and outbound flights,” said MAS executive director and chief financial officer Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin during the launch of the new product at Subang Airport near here yesterday.

Describing it as the “next phase”, he said it would include all destinations within Asean countries except Yangon. He declined to say why the city was not included.

On routes between Malaysia and China, he said only flights from Kota Kinabalu to Hong Kong and Guangzhou and vice-versa would be eligible.

He said bookings would be open from May 21 to June 3 for travel period between July 1 and Dec 14. .

Similar to the domestic Everyday Low Fares, customers can only book their tickets online at www.malaysiaairlines.com.

Purchase of tickets must be made 30 days before flight departure. Flight dates are not allowed to be changed and no refunds on tickets are allowed.

Under the promotion, ticket prices could range from zero to a maximum RM99 depending on booking period, not inclusive of airport tax, fuel surcharge and administration fees.

Asked whether the new Everyday Low Fares was aimed at competing with other budget carriers, Tengku Azmil said MAS was a five-star airline and intended to stay that way.

“Our market is specifically towards those who otherwise would have no intent of travelling to begin with if Everyday Low Fares were not offered.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...&sec=nation

Personally, I am extremely looking forward for MH's ASEAN 0 Fare (and they will include China too, yay!). I have refrained myself from purchasing several tickets in the ongoing AK's International 0 Fare because I want to puchase them with MH.

On a more critical point of view, if this is how AK reacted over competitions, I doubt they can face another LCC in Malaysia, should one is given the nod to do business in Malaysia.

Yesterday, AirAsia called on Malaysia Airlines to keep the competition fair and healthy and “not to take toys from its playground.”

Take ur toys ? go tell ur mama.... ayaaa fight like a man la....

I tried to book to Bangkok.... Cannot leh!

Not open yet lah!

"He said bookings would be open from May 21 to June 3 for travel period between July 1 and Dec 14."

I wonder how good the deals are versus previous occasions?

On the domestic front, one pays only RM72 all-in o/w on peninsula routes in the recently ended domestic promo. Early last year, the promo was a fare of RM19 plus RM47 in surcharges - a net total of RM66.

It wouldn't be MH without a glitch, isn't it?

I made 7 purchases and only 3 were successful. 4 others were not. I called up my bank twice, they said all 7 transactions are received and confirmed. Then I made 2 phone calls to MH call center, and only during the 2nd call they admitted that their system is unstable, which resulted in the failed transactions despite any irregularities. It's neither because of the credit card nor the bank, it's their system. I was asked to make a fresh booking after an hour.

I am wondering, why is this happening? Why can't MH does things correctly? This is just so sad. Passengers nak beli tiket pun bukannya dipermudahkan, instead disusahkan sesusah-susahnya sampai kena buat overseas calls tengah-tengah malam buta. :angry: