MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
TK

Walk around an airliner

This is for Colin and LeeCH............and the SQ AhMois :p

IPB Image

This plane requires 4 hair dryer to lift her up!!! :huh:

IPB Image

One can really get close to action at Zurich. I wish KLIA had an observation deck that is so close to runway :(

the code can be changing?

For scheduled flights, military flights, and some other flights, the operators obtain permission to use an airline call sign followed by a flight number, instead of a registration number. In this arrangement, an identical call sign might well be used for the same scheduled journey each day it is operated, even if the departure time varies a little across different days of the week. The call sign of the return flight often differs only by the final digit, from the outbound flight. Generally, airline flight numbers are even if eastbound, and odd if westbound.

adopted from wikipedia, Air Traffic Control :D

adopted from wikipedia, Air Traffic Control :D

thanks kevin, last time i though the flight num is fixed on the a.c and couldn't be changed forever.

Properly they will just change their code by +1 or -1?

example likes TK's MH10 to MH9

thanks kevin, last time i though the flight num is fixed on the a.c and couldn't be changed forever.

Properly they will just change their code by +1 or -1?

example likes TK's MH10 to MH9

I think most of the flight number are(+/-1)

I had a few flights past few years, some in MAS , some TG

The 'departure flight' 's and trhe return flight numbers also +/- 1

Not sure though, :rofl:

on the same route, departure and return flight number should be +/- 1

any special ocassion that will change the flight number? maybe TK or others can clarify?

instead of saying departure/return flights and hence confusing ourselves, let's use inbound/outbound.

to make things simple, a route is an origin-destination pair, e.g. KUL-SIN

so, for a particular route, flight number is in the form of XX123, where:

XX is the airline's code (MH for MAS, LF for Lufthansa, QF for Qantas, SQ for Singapore, AK for AirAsia)

123 is, obviously, numbers. this bunch of number can contain as many digits as you want - usually wouldn't exceed 4, though.

example: MH123 and MH141 fly KUL-SYD whilst MH122 and MH140 (MH142 on some days) fly SYD-KUL (MH142 has a tech-call at KCH).

hope this is clear enough?

"Generally, airline flight numbers are even if eastbound, and odd if westbound. "

Not quite true:

It all depends on the airline, really, like KLM is always using odd numbers from Amsterdam (like KL0809 to KUL and CGK), and even numbers to Amsterdam (like KL0888 from HKG)...think, same applies to MH...MH016 is even and operates westbound to AMS and MH017 operates eastbound, contradicting above statement :o

"Generally, airline flight numbers are even if eastbound, and odd if westbound. "

Not quite true:

It all depends on the airline, really, like KLM is always using odd numbers from Amsterdam (like KL0809 to KUL and CGK), and even numbers to Amsterdam (like KL0888 from HKG)...think, same applies to MH...MH016 is even and operates westbound to AMS and MH017 operates eastbound, contradicting above statement :o

Agree with Pieter. That statement made me wonder for a second, causing some sort of confusion between east and west. As I've mentioned earlier, MH123 KUL-SYD is eastbound (yes? no?) and 123 is odd, not even. :unknw: I think I'm still confused by that statement... :p But anyway, one thing I'm right about and will not change in near future is that MH123 does fly KUL-SYD and MH122 SYD-KUL! :D

Agree with Pieter. That statement made me wonder for a second, causing some sort of confusion between east and west. As I've mentioned earlier, MH123 KUL-SYD is eastbound (yes? no?) and 123 is odd, not even. :unknw: I think I'm still confused by that statement... :p But anyway, one thing I'm right about and will not change in near future is that MH123 does fly KUL-SYD and MH122 SYD-KUL! :D

hmm... maybe we should correct what is written over wiki :D... thanks for clarification

My mind set has always been a person waving 2 ping pong bat.

Saw a man with two ping-pong bats waving skillfully three weeks ago at KLIA even with a jumbo heading towards him... Cool... Love to be that guy... :p

Saw a man with two ping-pong bats waving skillfully three weeks ago at KLIA even with a jumbo heading towards him... Cool... Love to be that guy... :p

It's called a marshaller ;) :pardon:

..... fly SYD-KUL (MH142 has a tech-call at KCH)

Not anymore they don't !

Also, certainly would not have described it as a tech-call, more of a politically mandated social obligation imposed upon MH !! :rolleyes:

Bing Chu, my bad :p Sorry ^_^

But I didn't know it's a politically mandated social obligation imposed upon MH. I just thought it would've been a stop for them to swap crew (cuz they certainly did) to relief the crew who did the SYD-KCH leg (as in, the same crew probably did KUL/SYD/KCH and the hours used up, so needs replacement). :unknw:

TK, your shots power lah.....me also into getting a 12-24 DX soon but this month shopping list got a car lah.....me scratching head.....aish....lens or car, lens or car.....great shots again. Me no Zurich until we get pencil ER in Nov. By then its winter.....

TK, your shots power lah.....me also into getting a 12-24 DX soon but this month shopping list got a car lah.....me scratching head.....aish....lens or car, lens or car.....great shots again. Me no Zurich until we get pencil ER in Nov. By then its winter.....

BMW 740Li with Hamann leather interior, AC Schnitzer 19's, Michelin Low Profiles, and an iDock... :pardon:

Lens...can get anytime maa.... :good:

BMW 740Li with Hamann leather interior, AC Schnitzer 19's, Michelin Low Profiles, and an iDock... :pardon:

That one only kah ?! :rofl:

Tony,

If it was a tech stop on the SYD-KCH-KUL run, they would not have pulled out as fast as they did at the first opportunity ! ;)

Edited by Bing Chu

Me no Zurich until we get pencil ER in Nov.

No Amsterdam-Schiphol assignments yet either ??? :help:

IPB Image

TK, good to combine nature/landscape with planes. You have reached Ozawa's standard. This one can be used by ZRH airports for PR media prints.

But I didn't know it's a politically mandated social obligation imposed upon MH. I just thought it would've been a stop for them to swap crew (cuz they certainly did) to relief the crew who did the SYD-KCH leg (as in, the same crew probably did KUL/SYD/KCH and the hours used up, so needs replacement).
When they operated this service, it was the same crew SYD-KCH-KUL, having flwon KUL-SYD the night previously.

Anyhoo, here's a few pics, courtesy of Matthew Hindes.

FO TK, finally got a PER trip and after bringing Romeo Alpha into PER on Friday, it was time to head home after a fantastic night out with "the geeks" the night before.

Let's join TK on his walkaround

IPB Image

"Ahh yes, definately Romeo Golf..." (only about 1 week out of overhaul, looking factory fresh)

IPB Image

"Engines still there, and its still bloody big!"

IPB Image

"Oh look, I recognise those guys!"

IPB Image

"BYE!"

IPB Image

"Clear to start both?"

IPB Image

"Starting both"

And off, he went as "Malaysian 1...2...4" to KL :rofl:

See you next month bro, hopefully have my Delta70 back!

TK, did you photograph that EK metallic tube at the holding point?

Edited by Liam Gibb

Nice cockpit landing illustration, TK! Love 'em...

What were the ADI readings between this

IPB Image

and this...

Aircraft about to land on runway 34 :D

IPB Image

Edited by Teoh Z Yao