MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

Re: That starbucks...

Be warned that the staff, have no idea what BISCOTTI's are...

Me: "Yeah, I'd like one of those chocolate Biscotti's please..."

Staff:" Eh? Biskut Hati?"

:mellow: :mellow:

That factory is Spirit Aerosystems . If you read Aviation magazines , you're sure to bump into ads by them .... They are into manufacturing composites I believe

Spirit Aerosystems serves as an assembly center here for composites manufactured in CTRM, ACM and metallics manufactured by SME, etc etc around the region.

Too bad we won't be seeing the beluga in and out of SZB anytime soon as the parts theyre assembling at the mo are still relatively small.

from the star http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file...amp;sec=central

RM40mil facelift for Subang airport

THE Terminal 3 at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport at Subang has been given a RM40mil facelift and renamed the Skypark Subang Terminal.

Compared with its previous rundown state after the main airport shifted its operations to the KL International Airport in Sepang, the upgraded terminal now has a friendly environment with a more pleasing ambience.

Subang Skypark executive director Datuk Ravindran Menon said air travellers could look forward to a pleasant and comfortable time at the terminal.

m_02refurbished.jpg

Modern: The refurbished Skypark Subang Terminal.

Instead of rows of plastic chairs typically found in airport terminals, there are leather sofas dotting the centre of the terminal, giving it a classy cosy look.

“We also provide high speed WiFi services and Samsung LCD TV sets around the terminal so that passengers and patrons will be entertained,” Ravindran said.

He said passengers would be spoilt for choice for both retail and F&B services, with a choice of international and local cuisine available.

Two banks have already set up operations at the terminal and a spa is in the works.

Ravindran said passengers could look forward to limousine, taxi and coach services at the terminal.

m_02terminal.jpg

New look: Most parts of the terminal has been refurbished, like this walkway leading to the departure hall.

“This will provide them with options in travelling out from the airport. For now, we have the normal taxi counter,” he said.

With proper signboards and directories installed at strategic places, passengers and patrons will find it easier to get around the terminal.

“Once the exterior renovation is completed, passengers can expect a more systematic traffic movement as the check-in counters will be the first they see when they are departing from the terminal,” Ravindran said.

m_02lounge.jpg

Welcoming: There is a cosy lounge to greet the corporate and private jet travellers at the Fixed Base Operations facility.

The interior is almost completed while the exterior refurbishments are due to be completed by June.

“By then, we will have proper drop-off lanes for passengers, valet services and more for the comfort of patrons,” Ravindran said.

He said the terminal was not a budget terminal as perceived by many people but an international terminal catering for community airlines such as FireFly and Berjaya Airways.

“With the community airlines expanding their business and their routes, we are expecting some 1.5 million passenger traffic for the year,” Ravindran said.

m_02checkin.jpg

For convenience: The Skypark Subang Terminal has new check-in counters for Firefly and Berjaya Air passengers.

With the wider range of retail and F&B outlets, the Subang Skypark is also positioning itself as a shopping and eating destination for people working and staying in the area.

“Those working in the area now have another option for lunch and even the residents have something new to look forward to during the weekend. This transformation of the terminal will also regain Subang’s prominence and long established name on the global aviation map,” Ravindran said.

The terminal also boasts of a Fixed Base Operation (FBO) facility called the Skypark FBO Malaysia.

“The FBO is the regional hub for private jet charter giant VistaJet. The facility comprises a fully-equipped business centre, relaxation facilities, food and beverage services plus dedicated crew amenities. This places Skypark FBO on par with other FBO facilities worldwide,” Ravindran said.

Besides the FBO, there is also a Regional Aviation Centre and Skypark has allocated 30 acres of land to house this comprehensive hangarage facility which will include a hub for maintenance, repair and overhaul and aircraft parking.

m_02facelift.jpg

Work in progress: The facelift to the exterior of the terminal is still being carried out.

The car park opposite the terminal has been cleaned up and has more than 350 parking bays for of passengers and patrons.

“We have a 24-hour secure parking system. Security cameras are placed around the parking vicinity for safety and more lights have been installed,” Ravindran said.

There are also plans for a commercial building where the car park is located.

“The commercial nexus is in the concept design stage and we are now finalising planning details.

“We see the commercial nexus as something exciting that we have in store for the passengers and residents in the vicinity.

“We are looking at a 15-month time period for the completion of the commercial nexus,” Ravindran said.

The X-ray machine prompts me a question : Many airports in Malaysia scan check-baggages before check-in. Will the baggages be scanned once again after they are checked-in and put on the carousel ?

Normally there is a distance from the scan machine to check in counters. Within this distance, the baggage is still exposed to be 'disturbed' although they are sealed with Malaysia Airports stickers. I personnally think this has posed a very serious threat to the aiport security. Futhermore, at many times during the scanning process, I find the officers at the X-ray machines not even bother to look at the monitor and just chit-chatting among themselves.

I don't know if this practice (scan before check in) is common in other countries. I know SZB (Terminal 1) practised this before but no longer in KLIA.

The X-ray machine prompts me a question : Many airports in Malaysia scan check-baggages before check-in. Will the baggages be scanned once again after they are checked-in and put on the carousel ?

Normally there is a distance from the scan machine to check in counters. Within this distance, the baggage is still exposed to be 'disturbed' although they are sealed with Malaysia Airports stickers. I personnally think this has posed a very serious threat to the aiport security. Futhermore, at many times during the scanning process, I find the officers at the X-ray machines not even bother to look at the monitor and just chit-chatting among themselves.

I don't know if this practice (scan before check in) is common in other countries. I know SZB (Terminal 1) practised this before but no longer in KLIA.

It is well practiced in LCCT, and the bag will not be rescanned after checking in, as the luggage will be brought directly to the airplane. So it is a serious threat. (Most if not all other airports in Malaysia is practising this type of security check except KLIA Main terminal). I have been to Singapore, Australia, Thailand, and Japan in recent years, none of the airports have this kind of security checks.

Oh, there are many more flaws in the security checking of airport in Malaysia airports. This is one of them.

The same treatment is practise in Indonesia (PNK, CGK), Turkey (IST), Germany (HAM) and Saudi Arabia (RUH). The airports as in () are where I vividly recalled such procedure is being carried out.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

OT, I once witnessed a passenger checking in at LCC-T, and realising her bag was over 15kg, took out some stuff to make it lighter. The check-in agent politely asked her to rescan her bag and refused to check her in since the security seal sticker has been tampered.

Edited by Rozhan

wow, now I see why we have the option to do our 4th anniversary here.........stunning new makeover :clapping: so the purpose of this sky park is just for the firefly and some charter flights? :mellow: in that case, I don't the need of a new railway/tren there........but if they are planning more routes in the future, why not.....

looks like the houses in Ara Damansara will be going up again.........there goes my house hunting at the area :sorry:

Furthermore, at many times during the scanning process, I find the officers at the X-ray machines not even bother to look at the monitor and just chit-chatting among themselves.

Until you have really intelligent machines that can detect a threat by itself, this human factor will always be a problem no matter where the bag is scanned.

As security wouldn’t stop you from putting almost anything (e.g. knife, handgun, etc) in your check-in luggage. X-ray can’t pickup explosive except wiring and battery. Believe X-ray scanning before check-in doesn’t serve any purpose except to give pax some feeling of security.

However, at MTB KUL, luggage is scanned after check-in. Hence, high theft rate at KUL.

:drinks:

I notice that scanners are in colour. I would imagine that the colour would denote density of whatever material inside a bag. I suppose anything 'explosive' would turn up as a certain colour on the screen and this is what security officers are on a lookout for. Doesn't it work this way?

Just came back from the much talked about newly refurbished airport, and let me share something with you all after the visit.

So today I decided to give a visit to the airport after my dinner plus durian session in SS2, so with stomach full and heading back home I decided to drop by there for some walk and checking out the new place after reading so many reviews of the newly refurbish Skypark and also hardly had the time to stop for a visit everytime that I drove by.

Well since today is raining and purely because I have drank so much of salt water :drinks: , I decided to stop for a visit and the first time I see it was wow...very cool place compare to the last time where the place is so gloomy and quiet. Well first thing first need to go the gents so I walked to the toilet on the ground floor and once I reach the door, there goes "Out of order, Please use the 1st flr toilet", <_< without waiting I quickly walk up to the 1st flr level and manage to find the toilet.

Oh my...once I open the door, What I see nearly make me puke out my D24, D101 durian, the floor is stained with dirt & wet, with the sink clogged with used tissue paper, the tap with no water and ....no need to describe in detail :angry: . What is happening here, don't anyone know how to use the facilities or no one is maintaining it. :blink: and since I'm in there I just have to hold my breath and take a leak as fast as possible.

After the adventure that I encountered and trying to clear what I have just seen it is time to walk and see the surrounding place, it was a very good design indeed with the makeover and it even has so many F&B shops such as Starbucks, Big Apple, something like a sports pub :drinks: , koptiam, a burger joint from the old place at the 1st floor, man it has so many makan place and choices compared to LCCT.

Another thing I notice, where is the flight information display can't seem to find it (maybe because I have enough seeing for tonite) and they isn't any flight announcement of aircraft arrival, and I saw the Fireflyz landed 5 minutes ago. What is going on here. :sorry:

While I'm really sad, pathetic or confuse with the place, it just come to a point of what I want to say again "First class facility but third class mentality", on my way back home I kept thinking where is the cleaner that is supposed to maintain the toilet clean (maybe they don't work at nite, they work office hours only...!!! :rolleyes: ) and the lobby area floor really needs a good scrub, the tiles is looking worn out with grayish stain all over it (maybe it is a modern tiles ..it is like that ..lah) :sorry:

Even my wife say "hei, you sure this is a real class facility, the place just refurbish a few months and viewing it from outside so nice but inside the building facility is the same as before especially the cleanliness". I don't know how to answer her.

Hope i did not bored anyone reading this.

For your information, The official launching of Subang Skypark Terminal will be held on 28 October 2009 by

our Prime Minister DS Najib Tun Abdul Razak.

p/s: how to get the pass?

The Prime Minister will be launching Spirit Aerosystem's facility before that too :).

Edited by Walter Sim

According to The Straits Times, Singapore, UMNO is reorganising its corporate assets in a little-publicised exercise, which will see new players emerge as chief nominees of the political party’s growing business interests.

Senior UMNO officials and bankers involved in the reorganisation told The Straits Times that the party’s assets, which are now held through several investment holding companies, will be regrouped under a little-known private entity called Temasek Padu.

Documents lodged at the Registrar of Companies show that Temasek Padu, which was incorporated in 2005, has majority stakes in companies such as Subang Skypark, a company which operates the airport terminal on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur.

:drinks:

Subang - best choice for city airport

Raison D'etre - Risen Jayaseelan

ONE idea that should have been given more prominence in the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP), in the context of “Greater KL”, is the creation of a city airport.

Specifically, turning the already existing Subang airport into a city airport, with more aircraft plying it, including (albeit, in a limited way), commercial jet aircraft.

City airports are a feature of many major cities the world over and they seem to nicely complement their major airports.

What sets this idea apart from other transport-related ones in the ETP is that it requires so little to get it started. That’s because we already have a city airport in form. What is needed is a mere tweaking of policies. At present, the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang only allows the operations of propeller aircraft (for commercial passenger flights).

Turning the Subang airport into a full-fledged city airport does not require the heaps of investments other transport-related plans mentioned in the ETP.

Furthermore, it requires very little changes to an already choking city. One just has to imagine the major construction works that will be carried out to build the mass rapid transit system over the next few years. And, the astronomical ball park figure of RM50bil to get that project up and running. Until today, it is unclear who exactly is going to fork that money out.

To turn Subang airport into a city airport however, will require a decent dose of political will and careful explanation to interested parties why this is a good idea now.

To be sure, this idea is not new. Everyone following the aviation industry will know of that one very entrepreneurial airline industry individual who had lobbied long and hard for his budget airline to use Subang as its base. The idea even then, made perfect sense but it was never to see the light of day, for one reason or another.

One of those reasons was a determination by the Government to make KL International Airport (KLIA) a success.

Hence the question is, will a move to have a city airport be detrimental to KLIA? From the standpoint of airport operator, Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), the concern will surely be that its earnings from KLIA could be cannibalised from giving Subang more flights.

Well, that’s one way of looking at it. Another way to see it is that Subang can play a complimentary role to KLIA, just like how most city airports in bigger cities around the world do. In London, Chicago, New York, Tokyo and Shanghai, the city airports have posed no major threats to the main airports in those cities, as the city airports play a sort of niche and complimentary role. Furthermore, it is very likely that having a city airport would create new revenue streams for MAHB.

City airports tend to cater to shorter flights and appeal largely to businessmen and professionals making short flights to attend meetings.

A well-located city airport (like the one in Subang) will help reduce regional business travel time significantly, which in turn could enhance productivity levels of Malaysian professionals and businessmen.

Subang airport’s transformation into a city airport has other advantages. Since 2008, work had begun to transform it into a modern day airport by its operator Subang Skypark Sdn Bhd, with much success, judging by the growing number of passengers travelling through it. The area is also the home of the Malaysian International Aerospace Centre.

It is located not too far away from the KTM Komuter station in Subang Jaya. This poses the possibility, again without a massive amount of capital expenditure, to link the airport up with the city via KL Sentral. Imagine the connectivity and time-savings for a business traveller flying in from say, Bangkok or Singapore for a meeting in Shangri-La hotel in downtown Kuala Lumpur. Hence more little more needs to be done other than a change in government policies, to give this facility a chance to become a full-fledged city airport.

Jet aircraft plying Subang however, had been contentious in the past for another reason – some residents of Subang didn’t quite like it, and understandably so. But smaller narrow-bodied jet aircraft should be less offensive to the residents.

Also, to be noted is that Subang airport already has jet aircraft flying into it, in the form of private jets and Transmile Group Bhd’s cargo planes. Furthermore, if indeed, Subang airport is made the city airport, the township of Subang should see a multiplier effect as the connectivity would bring in more travellers needing services such as eateries and hotels. Property prices in Subang will also likely to benefit. All that may be needed is careful planning and proper communication and the chances are, there would be more people supporting the idea of making Subang airport, Greater KL’s much needed city airport.

● Deputy news editor Risen Jayaseelan, who lives less than 20km from the Subang airport and who loves to travel into the region, openly declares that his arguments for more flights out of Subang Airport is partly driven by personal interests.

Source @ The Star

Before this can happen, we need to consider:

1 What is the present capacity of Subang Skypark? How many years will it take to saturate it?

2 What will happen when it is saturated? Will traffic be limited or will it be expanded?

3 Road infrastructure is poor - Subang Airport Highway is already a very congested road. So is NKVE/Fed Highway/Kesas/NPE interchanges...

4 Rail infrastructure is bad - KTM cannot be trusted to provide connectivity since it does not have enough Komuter trains and there will be a shortage for the next 2 or 3 years.

5 LRT/MRT infrastucture is bad - no plans to link Subang Skypark to the network.

6 No rail link between KLIA and Subang Skypark for quick and efficient transfers.

I think it will take longer to travel from Subang Airport to KL Sentral than it does to do KLIA to KL Sentral in the morning or evening - times when pax like to travel for business.

The idea seems good initially, but we can already see where the bottlenecks are...

i actually agree with the suggestion to have more flights out of subang airport. Because currently i living in subang jaya, i feel like totally not practical to drive to klia which can take almost 1 hour while we already have an airport which located nearby. About the traffic, we can take Stockholm as an example. Stockholm population has almost the same number of kl population and they been served by 4 airports. And we shall not look to the current condition, we have to think on the future, in the next 5 to 10 years, the number of air travelers in malaysia is expected to double the current's number. I think there would be enough demand for kl to have 2 airports. If the current subang airport has a limited capacity, might be they can expanded the current terminal or modifying the terminal 2 to become the passenger terminal as and additional to the skypark terminal. For the flights and destinations, of course we are not talking about long haul destination to europe/usa. Regional destinations such as bangkok will be enough. As an example, MH currently has 3 to 4 times daily flights to bangkok. Let say that if MH wants to add extra 1 or 2 flight frequencies make it until 6 flights daily to bangkok, i suggest the extra 1 or 2 flight will be out of subang airport. I know that MH would need to invest more money to open another hub at subang airport and base their aircraft, the service, and so on,etc... but there are a lot of airlines worldwide that operating from more than 1 airport in one particular city and its a not a big problem for them. There is a huge demand for more flights out of subang,now its depend to govt,mahb and airlines to decide.Moreover, MH is expanding their services and flying to more destinations nowadays, i hope subang will be one of those in the near future....

Since the transformation of subang airport in 2008 to become city airport, there is no decline numbers of passengers in KLIA.Infact, the number of passengers at KLIA is increasing every year and is expected to exert 30 millions this year. I dont see giving more flights out of subang airport will cannibalised the KLIA.

About the traffic, we can take Stockholm as an example. Stockholm population has almost the same number of kl population and they been served by 4 airports.

STO 4 airports ? I only know of 2: Arlanda and Bromma...

Care to share the other 2 ? No, not the Ryanair ones - Vasteras is not considered a STO airport...