MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Y. J. Foo

Subang Skypark Development Including New RM 1.5 Billion KTM Rail Link

With time and money, infrastructure can be built. SZB terminal building, Subang airport highway, KTM, Putra LRT extension or expansion all possible should the gomen wish.

Don’t see why air travel need to limit to KUL. Believe convenience and cost of users is more important than preserving white elephant.

:drinks:

KLIA is so under-utilized, and with KLIA2 coming up.. I really don't think we need a city airport. We just need to make sure the ERL is used more by whatever means, making it cheaper etc.

STO 4 airports ? I only know of 2: Arlanda and Bromma...

Care to share the other 2 ? No, not the Ryanair ones - Vasteras is not considered a STO airport...

Though the Vasteras is located far outside the Stockholm Municipality and Stockholm County, but it uses the Stockholm-Vasteras name anyway. Same like KUL which located at sepang district far away from kl. The other one is Stockholm-Skavsta airport, the hub for ryan air in sweden. It is smaller than Arlanda but bigger than Bromma.

KLIA is so under-utilized, and with KLIA2 coming up.. I really don't think we need a city airport. We just need to make sure the ERL is used more by whatever means, making it cheaper etc.

:good:

Rather than wasting taxpayer money on a new/refurbished Subang, the money would be better spent on transport and improving the existing airports.

When the gomen announced to build KLIA, NRT was cited a justification to locate airport far from city center. And now, HND allows international flights.

Airport is a node in the transportation network, to serve the travelling public not vice versa. An inefficient and expensive airport adds cost and burden to the macro economy.

Politicians are not holy or perfect and can make mistake. Don’t see why people have to pay for blunder forever, to bare the cost of inefficiency.

Turning the Subang airport into a full-fledged city airport does not require the heaps of investments other transport-related plans mentioned in the ETP.

This is the statement in the article that I totally disagree with - it will take substantial investment in infrastructure (road, rail and airport) to sustain SZB for the long term. If we start using it as a city airport now, the govt. must be committed to spending large sums of money in improving the infrastructure. This has to be done almost immediately if SZB's future as a city airport is the be secured.

in short, good to have but not a necessity..

[/quote

But if you live in subang and its nearby area, you are going to feel that it is necessity to have more flights out of subang airport....

I think Sungei Besi actually makes a better city airport - it is so near to KLCC and it is just like London City airport. It is unlikely that SZB will deviate from its current role. It may have to take on additional duties when the RMAF vacate Sungei Besi.

I think Sungei Besi actually makes a better city airport - it is so near to KLCC and it is just like London City airport. It is unlikely that SZB will deviate from its current role. It may have to take on additional duties when the RMAF vacate Sungei Besi.

If that is come true, it would be heaven for airplanes spotters isnt it? :rolleyes:

Sg Besi Airport is like few feet away from the major highway, I don't think this airport would ever allow any big airplanes to land due to safety and security purpose, it's too near to the city centre.

Sg Besi? No way, not to say the airport is small to cater smaller aircraft, it would also cause massive traffic congestion!

Isn't traffic congestion going to be massive as well at SZB? Have you ever traveled from SZB at around 7.30-9.00 am and the evening rush hour?

In any case, Sg Besi would only be able to accommodate small aircraft like the ATR-72, unlike SZB which can take jumbos. So pax volume would not be huge.

Sg Besi Airport is like few feet away from the major highway, I don't think this airport would ever allow any big airplanes to land due to safety and security purpose, it's too near to the city centre.

Although it is in the city centre, it is less populated than the area around SZB. There are some seriously high population density developments around SZB.

Don't know how Subang can be a city airport when it is not in the city. With the traffic jams there I think people who are from the east side of KL especially will find going to KLIA to be easier or quicker. From the city center these days I think going to KLIA or Subang will take equal amount of time.

City airport would be something like Sungai Besi. Is runway length a problem? I think it is even longer than London City airport. Unfortunately I heard that Sungai Besi has already been earmarked for commercial development or something.

And think about it - just need to add a KLIA Express station on the existing line and both airports would be connected!

Edited by Azman MN

Isn't traffic congestion going to be massive as well at SZB? Have you ever traveled from SZB at around 7.30-9.00 am and the evening rush hour?

In any case, Sg Besi would only be able to accommodate small aircraft like the ATR-72, unlike SZB which can take jumbos. So pax volume would not be huge.

Although it is in the city centre, it is less populated than the area around SZB. There are some seriously high population density developments around SZB.

Yet SZB used to be our major airport before moving to KUL. Sg Besi Airport may require more cost to upgrade compared to SZB.

City airport would be something like Sungai Besi. Is runway length a problem? I think it is even longer than London City airport. Unfortunately I heard that Sungai Besi has already been earmarked for commercial development or something.

And think about it - just need to add a KLIA Express station on the existing line and both airports would be connected!

Runway length should not be a problem. In its heyday it could take jets like the Comet 4 or B737. However today's planes are heavier and carry more passengers. So it will probably be safe for jets up to maybe the A318's to use that runway.

Yes, it is easy to connect Sg Besi to the KLIA Express - just build a station there! The only other upgrades needed would be a decent terminal building and an access road to that new terminal.

Come to think of it, the KLIA Ekspress and terminal building could be one building!

Anyway, this is not going to happen. The govt. has set aside the land for KLIA to have 4 runways and a capacity of over 100m pax. So KLIA will be our only airport for the Klang Valley for the foreseeable future.

RM1.5b railway link to Subang airport

Kuala Lumpur: Tan Sri Ravindran Menon's Subang Skypark Sdn Bhd is believed to have received an offer from the government to undertake a RM1.5 billion project to build a railway line, people familiar with the matter said yesterday.

The railway line is to help connect the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB) station in Subang Jaya, Selangor, to the Skypark Terminal at the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport.

Business Times understands that Subang Skypark will also link the line to the Sungai Buloh-Kajang Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system, where it will integrate with the MRT and KTMB stations in Sungai Buloh.

Subang Skypark is the developer for SkyPark Terminal, formerly known as Terminal 3.

The company has been lobbying the government to build the railway line for more than five years, sources said.

It is understood that the railway project was recently approved under the Economic Transformation Programme to improve public transportation.

"This is a Private Financing Initiative where the project will be funded by Subang Skypark. The project involving 23km may cost between RM1 billion and RM1.5 billion," the source said.

Ravindran, who is Subang Skypark executive director, was not available for comment.

The source said the project will be undertaken in two phases over a period of two to three years.

Under the first phase of development, the firm will construct a new railway line using the existing alignment from the KTMB station right up to Sri Subang near the roundabout leading to the airport.

Petronas funded the existing alignment for KTMB to transport petrol from the station to the airport. The train service was halted a few years ago.

The source added that Subang Skypark will then extend the railway line by about 8km from Sri Subang to Skypark Terminal.

"The government wants train services between KL Sentral in Brickfields right up to Skypark Terminal to start in two years," the source said.

For phase two, the company will extend the railway line by about 15km from Skypark Terminal to Sungai Buloh.

Read more: RM1.5b railway link to Subang airport http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/RAIL2/Article/index_html#ixzz1cbjKlHL0

The line, a 6km spur from the Port Klang KTM branch at Subang Jaya, has been in existence since 1983, and the rails and everything are all still in situ. The news worded it as if it no longer exists.

Anyway, the original line terminated just short of the former T1, at a station called Sri Subang, and was used mainly to transport jet fuel from Port Dickson.

Edited by H Azmal

RM1.5 Billion under private financing initiatives seems a lot if they are extending the existing spur line which makes perfect sense.. Must have budgeted lots for Land acquisition as based on the location of Spirit Aerosystems, the existing Airport Hangar and MAS infrastructure, there doesn't seem to be much room for the train line unless it is underground and comes up opposite skypark at the existing open air car park. This is where I believe they want to situate the station based on a glimpse of older master plans.

Edited by Sandeep G

Lets hope KTM remembers to buy the train sets to run on the line. Minimum level of service should be every 20 mins for Subang in order for the trains to be convenient.

I still remember the KL-IPH double tracking fiasco when the track was completed with no trains capable of using the electrified line! Diesel trains were operated for over a year before new rolling stock was introduced - the ETS.

I think a dedicated railway link would be a waste of money since Subang Airport is not really fully utilised. Perhaps the existing MRT project could link up Subang Airport since it's within the Klang Valley area.

RM1.5 Billion under private financing initiatives seems a lot if they are extending the existing spur line which makes perfect sense.. Must have budgeted lots for Land acquisition as based on the location of Spirit Aerosystems, the existing Airport Hangar and MAS infrastructure, there doesn't seem to be much room for the train line unless it is underground and comes up opposite skypark at the existing open air car park. This is where I believe they want to situate the station based on a glimpse of older master plans.

FYI, with the exception of Engineering & FY, everybody else in MAS's SZB compound is to be shipped off to KUL by Feb '12, so there might be space after all.