MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Stumbled upon these interesting photos. The abandoned Premium Economy cabin on MH A380.

2132353.jpg

2131336.jpg

The seat was on display onboard 9M-MNB in Farnborough recently but to be removed to make way for the normal Y seats prior to delivery to MH.

Flee, if you see the first picture that MAR posted, you can see the pitch is incredible. but this is more like Y+ than Premium Y.

Flee, if you see the first picture that MAR posted, you can see the pitch is incredible. but this is more like Y+ than Premium Y.

Yes, that was obvious - I was looking at the seat comfort. For non-height challenged people, that is more tangible than seat pitch.

Other than the colour, is there any difference between the premium economy seats, perhaps bigger PTV screens?

see post #2174.

PTV the same. Also, the premium seats came with foot-rests, although these are really those normal Y seat footrests from yesteryears. Not like the leg-rest of SQ's premium economy on its A345s some time back.

Edited by Mushrif A

Perhaps that was why they decided to abandon this - the main selling point is seat pitch and for that, a separate product has to be promoted and marketed. They might just as well sell their biz class seats at more competitive prices and get a better load.

The premium eco looked decent. Too bad, they removed it.

This would have been a good marketing point to earn extra revenue and it would hv beaten SQ Y hands down if u had to pay a few quid more,everyone would.It would be taken up all the time! Current MH management is naive at best. This would have brought them in align with QF,hence one world.

MH union is a lazy bunch of people who do not want to work extra and hence feel the threat from red's.b cos thats the way they have lived their life for years wit MH.

On one blog there is so much of anger that Pariah, next mas exployee/union member also refers to TF as that pariah. Wow I would stop sending my planes there too!

This would have been a good marketing point to earn extra revenue and it would hv beaten SQ Y hands down if u had to pay a few quid more,everyone would.It would be taken up all the time! Current MH management is naive at best. This would have brought them in align with QF,hence one world.

MH union is a lazy bunch of people who do not want to work extra and hence feel the threat from red's.b cos thats the way they have lived their life for years wit MH.

On one blog there is so much of anger that Pariah, next mas exployee/union member also refers to TF as that pariah. Wow I would stop sending my planes there too!

Well before you blame the unions and what not, take a look at the board of directors who approved the canning of the Y+. It was during TF's time so you should deflect some of the blame to him as well.

Well before you blame the unions and what not, take a look at the board of directors who approved the canning of the Y+. It was during TF's time so you should deflect some of the blame to him as well.

I think that the time for playing the blame game is over.

We are all too clever to blame TF, TR, Binafikir, the govt. etc. for past errors. What is important now is the future - it is something that MH has the power to change. The past is gone forever and no amount of finger pointing can change that.

So, lets see what the next milestone will show. MH should report Q2 numbers soon - lets see if the losses escalated further or not... Or was there some sort of recovery. :)

Looking to the future,will MH introduce Y+ on the A380 sometime?

On the other matter that attracts a lot of debate is the refurbishment of 777 cabin. That cabin interior has been around since 90's (Y class) and looks

really dated. 3 years is a long time in this aspect. In my opinion,they should refurbish it to standardise the products offerings and if they do then I would rather hop on MH 777 than SQ 777-200.Until then i will always ensure that my trip is on SQ77W ex CHC/AKL.

Hey its a bussiness and you hv to spend money to make money.Does anyone think the the cabin shouldnt be refurbished?And knowing MH 3 years means more like 4 or 5!

Edited by jadivindra

Erm... may I ask what is the difference between Y+ and Premium Y? I thought they were the same, its down to the airlines how they want to call them? E.g. British Airways called theirs World Traveller Plus, while Virgin Atlantic and Air New Zealands' are called Premium Economy?

Other than the increased legroom I couldn't see any difference between the Y seats and the Y+ seats. With that amount of space they could easily fit a better seat, e.g. one that comes with legrest?!

Erm... may I ask what is the difference between Y+ and Premium Y? I thought they were the same, its down to the airlines how they want to call them? E.g. British Airways called theirs World Traveller Plus, while Virgin Atlantic and Air New Zealands' are called Premium Economy?

Other than the increased legroom I couldn't see any difference between the Y seats and the Y+ seats. With that amount of space they could easily fit a better seat, e.g. one that comes with legrest?!

The MAS Y+ is more like the Y+ those American carriers offer, just more seat pitch but the seat width is the same as Y.

Edited by Isaac

I think that the time for playing the blame game is over.

We are all too clever to blame TF, TR, Binafikir, the govt. etc. for past errors. What is important now is the future - it is something that MH has the power to change. The past is gone forever and no amount of finger pointing can change that.

By golly Flee, I think you might just have encapsulated good Dr M's 'Melayu mudah lupa' ideation there :p

Erm... may I ask what is the difference between Y+ and Premium Y? I thought they were the same, its down to the airlines how they want to call them?

There's actually a pretty large variation amongst carriers as to what makes this class what it is. I do think there's potential to futher subdivide the class - kinda like Y+ and J- , regardless of the names they use.

At the very bottom of the range is something like UA's economy plus. No reduction in abreast seating, a few inches more in pitch, same food and service as regular Y.

Then there's the high end of the range - stuff like CX's product - where the hard and soft products are properly differentiated. eg main course same as J, but on different plates., proper bespoke seats, dedicated check in, curtains closed between this cabin and regular economy.

A "more than economy, less than business" product can sit on either extreme, still be called an in between product, and yet be wildly different.

Stumbled upon these interesting photos. The abandoned Premium Economy cabin on MH A380.

2132353.jpg

2131336.jpg

The seat was on display onboard 9M-MNB in Farnborough recently but to be removed to make way for the normal Y seats prior to delivery to MH.

If that's their so called offering for premium economy seats all i can say is thank god they scrapped it out. Just by having few more inches in pitch and asking for like 40%-80% more in price will be hard for them to sell it. IMO, if they really want to have a premium economy maybe they can use the the same seat like in their J seat for 738. That will be a winner for them and can have a good respond from their target market.

Edited by nrazmoor

Even AJ was seated in Y as C and F cabins were full, no doubt some were guests.

I flew F on the inaugural flight. AJ's seat was Suite 1A in F. What nonsense about him flying Y. Had a good chat with him and he told me 772 will be replaced by A333 or A332. No talks about refurbishing 772 cabin offerings.

Interesting that he's considering the A332. I suppose it does make sense in that the range is greater and there is slightly less passenger capacity, which will make it easier for MH to fill those seats, given that they're supposedly struggling to fill the seats to CDG and FRA.

Interesting that he's considering the A332

If that is the case, should have swooped for AK-X's now unwanted ones :)

If that is the case, should have swooped for AK-X's now unwanted ones :)

Considering D7's samples are to be powered by GE, doubt they'd want to create a small subtype within their PW-dominant A330 fleet.

May not be ideal, but if the numbers work out better than flying an oversized vehicle to a place or worse still drop the route altogether, one make do with what is available

AK-X's fleet is RR powered, did not stop them from specifying GE when they ordered the 332's - there must be some advantage (i think flee it was who had eairlier clarified)

Furthermore, this is MAS, who at some point in time had operated the 747 with all three engine variants :)

GE powered 330 apparently is more economical to operate on long-haul flight. RR powered 330 on the other hand, has stunning climbing performance and is cheaper to operate on flights up to 9-10 hours.

May not be ideal, but if the numbers work out better than flying an oversized vehicle to a place or worse still drop the route altogether, one make do with what is available

AK-X's fleet is RR powered, did not stop them from specifying GE when they ordered the 332's - there must be some advantage (i think flee it was who had eairlier clarified)

Furthermore, this is MAS, who at some point in time had operated the 747 with all three engine variants :)

MAS only had RR powered B742 and then PW powered B743. Those are classics...

For B744, they have only ever had GE and PW powered birds. Not RR hair dryers though.

MAS only had RR powered B742 and then PW powered B743. Those are classics...

For B744, they have only ever had GE and PW powered birds. Not RR hair dryers though.

I think that is what BC meant when he said MH operated 747s with all three engine types - but to be fair, the 742 were -236 destined for BA so by default they had the RR engines. Don't know why the 747-400 Combis were GE powered though.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Hey guys let be proffesional. This is a chat forum and it is no use getting all excited and over worked. And Aiman please do not post me anymore personal messages to my e mail as I dont know who you are.

This is what I received from him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aiman Arif has sent you a new personal conversation entitled "kecoh".

Aiman Arif said:

==============================

========================================

lu tau tak apa yang jadi dalam mas?lu mau marah bising2,lu kerja dalam mas?lu tau apa politik jadi dalam mas?lu backup tony sbb dia sama kaum dengan lu kan?tapi lu tak tau apa dia dah buat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aiman ini bukan masalah perkauman, dan TF bukan sama kaum dengan saya.Dalam forum ini kami semua ingin melihat MH

maju ke hadapan dan bersaing dengan syarikat penerbangan antarabangsa seperti Singapura dan garuda.Buat masa ini MH terlalu gairah

dan tertumpu dengan TF dan AK. Akan lebih bermanfaat sekiranya tumpuan itu diberi kepada pihak MH sendiri.

LU??

Edited by jadivindra

I think that is what BC meant when he said MH operated 747s with all three engine types - but to be fair, the 742 were -236 destined for BA so by default they had the RR engines. Don't know why the 747-400 Combis were GE powered though.

My point is that B742/743 and B744 are different animals I would have thought.

There was an attempt to achieve some commonality with the 743, by ordering it to be equipped with RR-engines....until politics stepped in.