MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

Just wondered if anyone has any feedback on the upper deck 'kid free' Y class? Is this actually being enforced as I can find no mention on the MAS website?

I hope so as my wife and I are booked to fly to KL in early February. We had an awful flight back from KL to LHR some years ago when two, yes two, high school orchestras and choirs (kids aged between 12 and 17) numbering around fifty to seventy in total were seated directly behind us on an MAS 744. Their teachers and guardians did nothing on the overnight flight to stop them running around and shouting throughout the whole flight. I must add that the kids were from Australia, not Malaysia. Had it been Malaysian students I am sure their behaviour would have been much better.

..... (kids aged between 12 and 17) numbering around fifty to seventy in total were seated directly behind us on an MAS 744. Their teachers and guardians did nothing on the overnight flight to stop them running around and shouting throughout the whole flight

In battle of youthful exuberance vs crippling jetlag, I guess the former won hands down in your experience :p

I guess we've been very fortunate so far

The worst being a pair of bearded, burly looking, squabbling and seemingly intoxicated couple seated directly in front of us LGW-mid east (cannot remember where) :)

But also had the pleasure of being seated next to a very well behaved, smiley, bubbly baby DXB-LHR

I'm quite firm as to whose company was more pleasant - win some, lose some I say :D

Edited by BC Tam

I'm quite firm as to whose company was more pleasant - win some, lose some I say

You are correct. But if I can get seat A and C upstairs in economy, once I get my headphones on I shall be very happy. Love playing mahjong on MAS!

Edited by John Linehan

Anyone know how to select seat on the upper deck on MAS website ?

I made a booking on a MAS A380 flight and the seat selection only show lower deck

On the seat plan on the booking form, the upper deck is shown at the top, before the lower deck below. It looks like one deck but the text indicates upper and lower. Hope that helps....

Love playing mahjong on MAS!

The way some people here conduct their mahjong sessions, if transplanted onboard ......... :D

If so, one will be even less welcomed as a fellow passenger than a screaming, scratching, retching kiddo :lol:

Can't wait for the A380 to operate the SYD-KUL-SYD route :)

Same here. It will be great to see MH's A380 alongside QF's, SQ's and EK's A380s.

Is SYD the next destination for the A380 ? Why don't they fly A380 into AMS. I'm sure there will be more demand due to the codeshare agreement with KLM.

NRT & SYD will be launched next in NOV followed by MEL in MAR

Is SYD the next destination for the A380 ? Why don't they fly A380 into AMS. I'm sure there will be more demand due to the codeshare agreement with KLM.

Yes, SYD is the next destination.

MH is integrating itself into the oneworld alliance, so priority has to go to oneworld.

Why? It's fellow oneworld partner JAL's hub - so the connectivity would be good.

Only if MH is willing to need North America bound MH pax to JL.

Only if MH is willing to need North America bound MH pax to JL.

I don't see any problem with that - MH only flies to LAX after all, and only 4x a week.

Besides, it's a 2 way street - AA can feed their SEA bound pax via MH in addition to JL.

NRT & SYD will be launched next in NOV followed by MEL in MAR

Yup first flight via A380 in November.

KUL-NRT MH88 via A380 started on Sun 25 Nov 2012

KUL-SYD MH123 via A380 started on Sun 25 Nov 2012

Yup first flight via A380 in November.

KUL-NRT MH88 via A380 started on Sun 25 Nov 2012

KUL-SYD MH123 via A380 started on Sun 25 Nov 2012

Hmmm.... I don't think so. Too many issues with A380 flying to both SYD and NRT. I wouldn't be surprised if MAS changed their mind again. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see. My problem is that I still love the 744 aircraft and it is going out of system soon.

Double daily A380 to London maybe ???

MH will have its third and fourth A380s by November - so SYD and NRT are definitely coming on line.

LHR will be a A380 x 1 and B772 x 1 service once the B744s are retired on 25 Nov.