MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS A380 - Fleet to be Retained

That's point of sale and captive market dynamics. MH is a lot cheaper ex SIN than SQ to LHR. Point is MH will always be more expensive ex KUL.

Anyway those prices you quote are VERY expensive - wait till you see what some other people around the region pay for similar length flights ;) during non-sale periods no less.

Thanks for the explanations :)

But how much do you normally pay for a Business Class ticket between Southeast Asia and Europe ? I don't fly in J so I don't know :p It was my uncle, well basically he is the only one I am close to who can afford to fly J told me that SilkAir/SIA and Dragonair/CX Business Class fare to Europe from BKI is cheaper than MAS. Even Etihad and KLM are cheaper too.

Edited by Isaac

Even Etihad and KLM are cheaper too.

BKI-LHR return on EY is in region of rm3.7k

MH wanted about rm5.2k

KA/CX about rm4.8k

Actually BI is even cheaper than EY, but transit time at BWN is such a deal breaker

This is Y of course :)

That's point of sale and captive market dynamics. MH is a lot cheaper ex SIN than SQ to LHR. Point is MH will always be more expensive ex KUL.

Anyway those prices you quote are VERY expensive - wait till you see what some other people around the region pay for similar length flights ;) during non-sale periods no less.

But the examples given were ex-BKI. Sure, there are more options to get to KUL from BKI, than to SIN, but it is still a one stopper either way.

But how much do you normally pay for a Business Class ticket between Southeast Asia and Europe ?

If you know how to do it - with a rojak combo of tickets (none of which are too difficult to manage) - about 2,500-2,600 USD all in.

But the examples given were ex-BKI. Sure, there are more options to get to KUL from BKI, than to SIN, but it is still a one stopper either way.

Yes - the samples given were ex-BKI, all i'm saying is that as per the reply above - a combo of one ways, end on ends and potentially hidden city ticketing, you can get to Europe for not a lot in J, and that's ex BKI (or anywhere around here)... the thing to note - it's not ONE ticket you're buying :)

I can't go into too many details, but these fares can be found if you look :)

Sorry, forgot to mention MI/SQ wanted rm5.8k BKI-LHR return

So, in Y at least, MH goes cheaper than SQ :)

Thanks for the explanations :)

But how much do you normally pay for a Business Class ticket between Southeast Asia and Europe ? I don't fly in J so I don't know :p It was my uncle, well basically he is the only one I am close to who can afford to fly J told me that SilkAir/SIA and Dragonair/CX Business Class fare to Europe from BKI is cheaper than MAS. Even Etihad and KLM are cheaper too.

Have a look at this post I created some time back: http://www.maninseat12a.com/2011/05/cheaper-flights-by-transiting.html

One question,

Let's say if i booked SIN-KUL-LHR as its cheaper i don't get on the SIN-KUL flight, i will be able to board KUL-LHR right

One question,

Let's say if i booked SIN-KUL-LHR as its cheaper i don't get on the SIN-KUL flight, i will be able to board KUL-LHR right

No show at Changi means auto-cancellation for subsequent sector. Your tkt "e-coupons" must be used in sequence, as ticketed.

What happened to the kit shown in Muhd Rahimi's reply #1888 then ? :)

That's probably just for show & tell, but in the end, it never showed up. The so-called "kit" was also part of the giveaways during the joyride of early June. maybe some folks expected that to be the future norm, rather than the exception.

One question,

No. But coming back, you can just get out at KUL.

I rememeber a post on Airliners.net from someone in ZRH who bought a Milan-ZRH-JFK return on Swiss, and then found out that he must take the Milan-ZRH sector. So he then bought a one way ZRH-Milan ticket which was still cheap enough. Then at the airport, his flight to milan was delayed. Such was the length of the delay that he realized that the plane would also be too late coming back from Milan to catch his flight to JFK. So he asked Swiss if he could simply skip the Milan portion in this exceptional situation - he was told that he could not. He must go to Milan and catch the flight from Milan to ZRH, and if he missed the flight to JFK, he would be re-booked then. :pardon:

Edited by Azman MN

However, in this case, the checked baggage will still be sent to SIN right ?

No, just tell the check-in agent that you want to get out in KUL. I did it once, flew from NRT to SIN via KUL, and after being told that I could not change my SIN-KUL flight to another one, I asked if I could just get out in KUL, and that was ok. The agent tagged my luggage to KUL, gave me my boarding pass to SIN anyway, and told me to discard it.

Maybe in days past it might have been possible for those agents to turn a blind eye on such 'transgressions'

But with the level of paranoia associated with public transport of any form re potential acts of terror nowadays, non appearance of a pax on flight he/she has already checked in for must surely trigger alarm bells :)

One question,

Will not work - that is an auto cancel right there without ticket used in sequence

No. But coming back, you can just get out at KUL.

Theoretically - the airline can force a reprice and send you or your agent a debit memo - however I've not seen any airline do this

No, just tell the check-in agent that you want to get out in KUL.

For those of you who want to do this in the future the term for it is "short check" - agent will know what to do then

If you know how to do it - with a rojak combo of tickets (none of which are too difficult to manage) - about 2,500-2,600 USD all in.

Yes - the samples given were ex-BKI, all i'm saying is that as per the reply above - a combo of one ways, end on ends and potentially hidden city ticketing, you can get to Europe for not a lot in J, and that's ex BKI (or anywhere around here)... the thing to note - it's not ONE ticket you're buying :)

I can't go into too many details, but these fares can be found if you look :)

Have a look at this post I created some time back: http://www.maninseat...transiting.html

For those of you who want to do this in the future the term for it is "short check" - agent will know what to do then

Somehow i missed these replies a few days back. Thanks a lot :drinks: And Robert, i may put the information posted in your blog into good use one day. hehe. Thanks again Rob.

Edited by Isaac

Here's an update with regards to the A380 ops into LHR - it will only be MH2 that's A380, MH4 will be 772 from 25 November, so bye-bye 744!

http://airlineroute.net/2012/07/19/mh-744-w12/

The other A380, in addition to SYD (MH123), will operate the daily NRT (MH088) service. Both will start on 25 November from KUL.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/07/19/mh-nrt-nov12/

I wonder how the logistics will be since there's only 2 A380 gates & 3 night flights leaving at about the same time!

Will not work - that is an auto cancel right there without ticket used in sequence

Theoretically - the airline can force a reprice and send you or your agent a debit memo - however I've not seen any airline do this

There is an interesting query/ issue in the current Asia-Pac edition of Business Traveller mag, where the pax regularly skipped the last sector. Although the airline did not invoice him, the airline unilaterally removed all the miles from the FFP (that were previously credited) that he earned from the trips which he "threw away the final coupon."

In his case, he seems to be doing it so frequently and presumably to the same airline that somebody in the airline noticed the pattern and smartened up.

There is an interesting query/ issue in the current Asia-Pac edition of Business Traveller mag, where the pax regularly skipped the last sector. Although the airline did not invoice him, the airline unilaterally removed all the miles from the FFP (that were previously credited) that he earned from the trips which he "threw away the final coupon."

In his case, he seems to be doing it so frequently and presumably to the same airline that somebody in the airline noticed the pattern and smartened up.

Interesting, but fair. He did not fly on the last sector so should not get the miles. About getting invoiced, unless there is a serial abuse by the passenger, I do not see how the airlines can even do that. (to invoice a passenger for NOT taking a flight that he has already paid for). The passenger can always argue that their plans changed and the tickets are inflexible, and it is the passenger's loss if he paid for the sector but did not show up. Even if legally the airline can take that action because of a breach of contract, the case would be so silly that taking it to court would be quite embarrassing.

Edited by Azman MN

I'd say it was better than fair. A program like Emirates skywards credits miles for entire journeys - up to and back from the turnaround point.

If a ticket has been bought say KUL-(transit)DXB-LHR (turnaround point)-DXB(transit)-KUL - he or she only gets credit once he has flown up to LHR, and gets the rest when flying back to KUL.

Ditching the ticket in DXB on the way back would lose the LHR-DXB miles also.

The case would be different if a stopover was built in in DXB on the way back - then ditching the last DXB-KUL would not lose the LHR-DXB miles

It could have been worse for this guy.

Interesting, but fair. He did not fly on the last sector so should not get the miles. About getting invoiced, unless there is a serial abuse by the passenger, I do not see how the airlines can even do that. (to invoice a passenger for NOT taking a flight that he has already paid for). The passenger can always argue that their plans changed and the tickets are inflexible, and it is the passenger's loss if he paid for the sector but did not show up. Even if legally the airline can take that action because of a breach of contract, the case would be so silly that taking it to court would be quite embarrassing.

Airlines CAN do that. They just don't do it as a matter of practise. It's not quite as straightforward to say "I paid for the flight but didn't take it" because as far as airline tickets go, how much you pay sometimes has very little to do with how far you fly. The point to point pricing going by my example almost always means mean KUL-DXB-LHR-DXB tickets like this are a LOT more expensive than KUL-DXB-LHR-DXB-KUL. This is called hidden city ticketing - and frowned upon by airlines. They just don't do much about it.

I wonder how the logistics will be since there's only 2 A380 gates & 3 night flights leaving at about the same time!

there are 3 gates fit for A380 at KUL, C17/C27/C37.

Edited by Fairul

Here's an update with regards to the A380 ops into LHR - it will only be MH2 that's A380, MH4 will be 772 from 25 November, so bye-bye 744!

http://airlineroute..../19/mh-744-w12/

There will be a lot of very unhappy business class passengers when they find out they're on the B772 and that the seats are not flatbeds!

B744 and B772 has a same business class seat right? Pot seat

Actually, even though the seat is angled lie-flat, there's a lot more pitch on the B772 compared to the B744, so that would be a step up. However, an angled business class seat cannot compete with the other airlines flying the Kangaroo route.

Actually, even though the seat is angled lie-flat, there's a lot more pitch on the B772 compared to the B744, so that would be a step up. However, an angled business class seat cannot compete with the other airlines flying the Kangaroo route.

Yep - the 772 has a LOT more pitch in J and I prefer the service also. On the 744 it's still the second highest class on the plane and it shows. On the 772 it's not "2nd class"