MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

"If it works, we intend to implement it in routes less than three hours flight in the network," said Idris, stressing that currently the meal box is on trial period and therefore are open to changes. "

So the mealbox is going to implement on the flight hours less than 3 hours??

"If it works, we intend to implement it in routes less than three hours flight in the network," said Idris, stressing that currently the meal box is on trial period and therefore are open to changes. " So the mealbox is going to implement on the flight hours less than 3 hours??

That was the idea when I first heard the rumour. MH will change all inflight meals with snackbox in phases and ultimately, ALL flights under 3.5 hours will be served with snackbox network wide in Economy class.

BUT, looking at present condition where the snackbox idea is receiving heavy critism and MalaysianWings members have been very vocal about it, some even went straight to the media to voice it out (Dennis, Izanee, Georg), I think MH will really consider whether to make it permanent or will terminate it after the so called 'trial period' ended. I am so sure they will.

Guys, actually I am so proud of you. This is what MalaysianWings should have been doing since the last 2 years. Keep on monitoring the local scene in a serious manner and come up with constructive critism for the benefit of Malaysia's aviation in general. Not some stupid aircraft spotting or flight simulation craps (sorry if offended).

Guys, actually I am so proud of you. This is what MalaysianWings should have been doing since the last 2 years. Keep on monitoring the local scene in a serious manner and come up with constructive critism for the benefit of Malaysia's aviation in general. Not some stupid aircraft spotting or flight simulation craps (sorry if offended).

Well - I'm not a spotter or a flight sim person either. My interests in airlines only extend to traveling, frequent flyer miles/status and the political/economic aspects of the industry. Very much a 'back seat flyer' as some around here would call it. I'm sure there are many people here who're the same, as well as many who're different.

I think the site was set up to cater to a wide range of interests in airlines/aviation, whether you're a traveller, spotter, aspiring/professional pilot, airline engineer etc.

As for me I joined MW (well, AM first before MW was founded) back in 2005 to catch up on news about MH as there was a slight possibility that they might join oneworld then. Of course that never happened. But over time I've come to appreciate the the intelligent and articulate discussions here about the airline industry (and also other topics in Golden Lounge), as well as the diversity of the membership.

So horses for courses. :)

Edited by Keith T

I want to see the lady and gentleman in the above picture gobble up the stuff in the box. Why just smile smile in front of the camera holding that crap?!

Why just smile smile in front of the camera holding that crap?!

What makes you so certain they were really smiling there ? Bear in mind it's a very fine margin between a smile and a grimmace :)

But then why should they worry in the first place. When they travel, probably do so up front where the bubbly and caviar are awaiting anyway.

IJ quoted as saying here

"Since the launch on Oct 1, we have obtained feedback on 35, 000 customers on 383 flights, where 91 percent are satisfied with it, 5 percent gave compliments, 3 percent gave complaints and 1 percent gave suggestions for improvement. "

Anyone could get hold of a copy of the survey? Please post it here if you have a copy.

Being heavily involved in research myself, one is just too aware how a poorly designed and biased questionnaire can churn out the expected result. The way the questions are phrased, sequence of questions, options offered, survey methodology, definition of 'satisfied', 'compliments', 'complaints', analysis of the raw data obtained ( usually there is a composite total score, as each response is given a scoring scale so that a final summary can be made for each respondent) etc , etc can be biased/incorrect to answer the research question being asked. If the questionnaire, methodology and data analysis is not robust, then the result, however convincing, in number, is NOT VALID.

:p :p guilty of manipulating data once in a while to obtain the expected result.....

Anyone could get hold of a copy of the survey? Please post it here if you have a copy.

Being heavily involved in research myself, one is just too aware how a poorly designed and biased questionnaire can churn out the expected result. The way the questions are phrased, sequence of questions, options offered, survey methodology, definition of 'satisfied', 'compliments', 'complaints', analysis of the raw data obtained ( usually there is a composite total score, as each response is given a scoring scale so that a final summary can be made for each respondent) etc , etc can be biased/incorrect to answer the research question being asked. If the questionnaire, methodology and data analysis is not robust, then the result, however convincing, in number, is NOT VALID.

:p :p guilty of manipulating data once in a while to obtain the expected result.....

There is this saying about surveys and statistics in Austria: "Glaube niemals einer Statistik die Du nicht selbst gefälscht hast" - or "Never trust statistics you did not falsify yourself"

Like my company, we also do a lot of customer survey. But we always conclude that the result should be +/-30%. We have to think our customer in what kind of situation they fill the survey form too!

:rolleyes:

MAS light meal box is in the news today in The Star newspaper. It seems the new light meal boxes were on trial and will end on the 31st of December. After that they'll make a decision on whether to continue serving them in flights. You can read the news here

so those that travel during the trial period... unlucky? (cannot think of an appropriate word)

Flight simulation has gone far more then u think.

Not some stupid aircraft spotting or flight simulation craps (sorry if offended).

Great...yet ANOTHER commando....

sheesh <_>

Like what they keep on say...from their so called survey, 93% of the passengers are happy with the snack box crap and oly 3% are unhappy about it....considering their current condition, why would they even think of the 3%....they might just carry on the snack box thing and implemented it on all route below 3.5 hours.....

So...could the truth be 93% are unhappy and only 3% are happy....

hehehe.... :pardon:

Like what they keep on say...from their so called survey, 93% of the passengers are happy with the snack box crap and oly 3% are unhappy about it....considering their current condition, why would they even think of the 3%....they might just carry on the snack box thing and implemented it on all route below 3.5 hours.....

So...could the truth be 93% are unhappy and only 3% are happy....

hehehe.... :pardon:

IJ's quoted in Malay daily Berita Harian, regarding response to snack box: "Hanya segelintir tidak berpuashati dan dalam soal ini, kami akan mengikut kehendak majoriti," katanya.

Translation: "Only a small number of passengers were not satisfied and we will listen to the wishes of the majority"

Questions: what was his definition of satisfied? How was this question posed to customer, in what context, what were the options available in the survey?

It does sound suspicious and contradictory that if the response was so overwhelmingly good they are still undecided whether to implement it or not. Maybe it has already been decided upon, but this ongoing survey was just to pull wool over our eyes - trying to convince passengers that they are extra careful before implementing this 'best service' , benchmarked against the 'best airlines'.... revolting

Edited by V Wong

Not some stupid aircraft spotting or flight simulation craps (sorry if offended).

Ooops....

We know you really don't mean it, Azizul.

Here at MW we cover everything, from the serious aviation scene to obbies like aviation spotting and photography, MS flight sim, collectibles to trip reports and aviation news and rumors. Diversity, everything for everyone.

BTW, a Google search on "M Radzi Desa" will not show much result about a pilot.....

Sorry for being OT. :sorry:

Edited by Radzi

I think majority are not the so called frequent fliers!

And given a chance to answer the questionnaire, of course the will say good because they can tapau the snackbox. For me, proper meal is the one they used to serve before.

IJ's quoted in Malay daily Berita Harian, regarding response to snack box: "Hanya segelintir tidak berpuashati dan dalam soal ini, kami akan mengikut kehendak majoriti," katanya.

Translation: "Only a small number of passengers were not satisfied and we will listen to the wishes of the majority"

Questions: what was his definition of satisfied? How was this question posed to customer, in what context, what were the options available in the survey?

It does sound suspicious and contradictory that if the response was so overwhelmingly good they are still undecided whether to implement it or not. Maybe it has already been decided upon, but this ongoing survey was just to pull wool over our eyes - trying to convince passengers that they are extra careful before implementing this 'best service' , benchmarked against the 'best airlines'.... revolting

BTW, a Google search on "M Radzi Desa" will not show much result about a pilot.....

Whooaa... I got what you mean capt. Top 2, man... bravo! :good:

sorry OT... :)

OOhhh... wouldn't say that if I were you, Azizul. Many here considers spotting and F/S better than sex. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to your own interest, doesn't it?

OOhhh... wouldn't say that if I were you, Azizul. Many here considers spotting and F/S better than sex. I guess at the end of the day it comes down to your own interest, doesn't it?

I don't go out of my way to spot aircraft, neither do I do simulation, but both are neither stupid nor should they be associated with crap.

In fact, in my mind, both activities are a lot more enjoyable than "bean-counting in the boondocks"

Edited by mushrif a

OKla...maybe not BETTER than sex.... :rolleyes:

but on par? :pardon:

OT..oops.. :blink:

Guys, I have ask for apologies before hand. So I am not guilty. :nea:

The sentence should be read in a 'joking' kind of manner. What I emphasised is the impact that MW should have come out with, which is really showing with this snackbox issue. I am not 'yet another Commander (or was it Commando?)' as Imran Khan pointed out. I am entitle to express my opinion and so do you guys. Well, and since I am sort of like in a situation 'Terlajak Kata' - I respect your honesty and if I am a grown up guy, then I need to hear that.

Looking on the bright side, at least it spices up this thread a little. :yahoo:

Ok, was just disembarked MH 2513 and still in KUL at the moment, snackbox remains elusive to me. This is the second time I hunt for it but failed. Are they serving it in flights ex-KUL only?

The flight was also being assigned with 5 crews, not 4 as hope.

The only thing that goes as per expectation is the male crew in the flight didn't wear his songket lapel jacket while inflight, as the new uniform's rumour thread suggested.

I am not 'yet another Commander (or was it Commando?)' as Imran Khan pointed out.

FANTASTIC! :yahoo:

We have enough around here as it is...dont need you to join the club mate. :drinks:

OKla...maybe not BETTER than sex.... rolleyes.gif

but on par? pardon.gif

OT..oops.. blink.gif

Hehe, situation and people dependent I suppose :p

Azizul, no worries there, you are indeed fully entitled to express your own views.

Dear Azizul, SPOTTING is not STUPID!!! Stupid and snobbish for you to make comment like THAT! (sorry if offended)