MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

How to make the snackbox better? I'd say replace the limp sandwiches with a one-footer Subway Italian BLT with everything on...

Can't get enough of it!

Just love those Subway sandwich. If they have those on MAS, I would fly them all the time.

Azuddin

OT: Good to see some other Subway supporters :yahoo:

Good thing about them is, you can 'design/fill' your own sandwiches :pardon:

Good idea about the Subway sandwiches. Adds a little bit of class. How can this be improved hmmm, ditch the fancy box. The money can be used in adding more stuff. Maybe cereals/muesli/yogur,. Precut fruits, like BA's deli box.

Better still Snackbox for short routes like KUL-SIN, KUL-AOR, KUL-PEN and hot meals reinstated for flights above 2 hours.. like that baru 5 star ma..

Edited by Walter Sim

... I was made understood that the snakcbox will be withdraw from service soon. Dont know how reliable is this source.

Kenneth, any news regarding this now?

Probably to be replaced by a "Snekbox" to go along with the "sandwic"

"Snekboks" (like boxing=boksing), "KotakSnek", what else :D

My friend just took SGN-KUL-MEL with MH... she totally hates the food. It's small, unpalatable. On SGN-KUL route, the Snekbox was served. She commented, "the box is nice, but the sandwich is unedible"

on KUL-MEL leg, she told me, the menu is not showing on the screen anymore, n hence no paper menu, she just relied on what the flight attendant said during serving - "chicken with rice, or beef with potato", since she figured rice is common in Asia, why not take the second option. She regret it so much coz the beef doesnt taste like a beef at all, she said, frozen beef bought from a supermarket may taste nicer than that.

2nd meal (Continental breakfast), was announced. She gets this small muffin and bread, she asked, "is this the breakfast", the flight attendant replied "this is the refreshment". So she assumed that this maybe like an entree to a breakfast. Nah, no other food came beside that. And again, nothing shows on the screen.

She compares to Jetstar (which was the one she took to SGN (SYD-SGN), the food was just so awesome. and Jetstar is a budget airline!

This is her first time taking MAS, and I am sure she may not want to experience it again. I am quite embarrassed to hear her story. she is a vietnamese expecting some good experience on our national carrier.

The only thing I explained to her is that MAS is cutting cost but it has gone a little bit just way too far...

Edited by Azri M.

"Snekboks" (like boxing=boksing), "KotakSnek", what else :D

My friend just took SGN-KUL-MEL with MH... she totally hates the food. It's small, unpalatable. On SGN-KUL route, the Snekbox was served. She commented, "the box is nice, but the sandwich is unedible"

on KUL-MEL leg, she told me, the menu is not showing on the screen anymore, n hence no paper menu, she just relied on what the flight attendant said during serving - "chicken with rice, or beef with potato", since she figured rice is common in Asia, why not take the second option. She regret it so much coz the beef doesnt taste like a beef at all, she said, frozen beef bought from a supermarket may taste nicer than that.

2nd meal (Continental breakfast), was announced. She gets this small muffin and bread, she asked, "is this the breakfast", the flight attendant replied "this is the refreshment". So she assumed that this maybe like an entree to a breakfast. Nah, no other food came beside that. And again, nothing shows on the screen.

She compares to Jetstar (which was the one she took to SGN (SYD-SGN), the food was just so awesome. and Jetstar is a budget airline!

This is her first time taking MAS, and I am sure she may not want to experience it again. I am quite embarrassed to hear her story. she is a vietnamese expecting some good experience on our national carrier.

The only thing I explained to her is that MAS is cutting cost but it has gone a little bit just way too far...

Kudos to MAS. IJ & Co wants to save a couple million RM today, but damage to future revenue & brand equity may be more severe.

For Y pax, the meal is the so-called last bastion of a great service. Remove that, and what else is there to offer in today's competitive market?

Pity the cabin crew...great software but no hardware to go along.

Edited by Mushrif A

Azri,

Tell your friend go for SQ. Its worth the stop and maybe cheaper! Forget MH for the time being unless they are willing to buckup. Even SIN-SYD you get 2 hot meals.. even on A380.

Azri,

Tell your friend go for SQ. Its worth the stop and maybe cheaper! Forget MH for the time being unless they are willing to buckup. Even SIN-SYD you get 2 hot meals.. even on A380.

She took MH because her parents recommended it, as they have flewn MH before (I believe couple of years ago), and found the everything was excellent... What she gets now is really gonna be a new experience...

I guess we can call it "a new experience on travelling with the five star airline at LCC cost (FSCLCC)"...

despite this, she did have a good time transiting in KL, 9 hours well spent shopping etc in KL downtown. At least not everything was bad.

Kenneth, you are right, I flew KCH-BKI earlier this year and I was only served a bun! The presentation was the pasar malam standard. Look at the seal, makes me laugh! :lol:

If the snackbox is served on this sector, it will be an upgrade!

BunBKI.jpg

Back when MAS flies Fokker 50 under MAS not MASwings, I took a KCH-BTU-BKI flight. KCH-BTU was just a cup of juice and the flight was 1 hour. On the next sector, 1hour and 15 mins, we were served 2 pieces of sandwiches. Both with roasted chicken breast with lecttuce and mayo to keep it moist.Not bad coz they offer coffee/tea and juice. On the direct KCH-BKI you will get a "golf ball sized" crossaint or bun with chicken ham filling with tomatoes and mayo.Try MASwings, on their BTU-BKI sector, they'll five you a nice blue/green MASwings box with Milo,Sandwich(1 chicken and 1 eggfilling i think) and Cadbury Bytes.I love the box...really nice...square,blue all over with green "daun midin" logo across the box.Sorry,no pic.

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

mushrif is right...they are cutting costs where they shouldn't. the damage to their brand is already there. let's hope the higher beings decide that the snack box should get flushed down the loo.... then they have to consider damage control.

However, their meals are getting worse. it is embarassing for an asian airline to serve up meals like them. Even PIA have tastier food. i experienced it on my LHR-KUL flights. very very disappointed as that is one of the reasons i flew with MH (Apart from the hot stewardesses).

EK will do fine - good food, lovely stewardesses and excellent IFE.

Edited by Izanee

my friend had the same experience!!!! :angry:

Remember there was an MAS advertisement promoting about heir great variety of food? (a white guy that saw a lot of tomatos!)

my friend saw that ads and ask me "is this what MAS advertised in TV??"

i'm speechless... :sorry:

Edited by Branden Ng

Kudos to MAS. IJ & Co wants to save a couple million RM today, but damage to future revenue & brand equity may be more severe.

For Y pax, the meal is the so-called last bastion of a great service. Remove that, and what else is there to offer in today's competitive market?

Pity the cabin crew...great software but no hardware to go along.

Well said. They are probably trying to save the millions to turn them into higher profits so that IJ & Co can get an even bigger bonus package at the end of the next financial year.

The situation is very dire. Instead of upping their game - they are going backwards. Refurbished aircraft? Their choice of upgrade was ten years old when they first got it.

I did FCO-LGW yesterday in Y with BA, and even though the meal was a sandwich (I did get to drink a v yummy NZ Sauv Blanc too :good:) - it was one very tasty sandwich with rather substantial ingredients like tuna, eggs mayo, cherry tomatoes, thick slabs of cheese etc and there were 2 kinds of breads.

So that shows snacks CAN be done right - not a half hearted attempt at a sandwich like I saw from the pics posted.

Edited by Keith T

Back when MAS flies Fokker 50 under MAS not MASwings, I took a KCH-BTU-BKI flight. KCH-BTU was just a cup of juice and the flight was 1 hour. On the next sector, 1hour and 15 mins, we were served 2 pieces of sandwiches. Both with roasted chicken breast with lecttuce and mayo to keep it moist.Not bad coz they offer coffee/tea and juice. On the direct KCH-BKI you will get a "golf ball sized" crossaint or bun with chicken ham filling with tomatoes and mayo.Try MASwings, on their BTU-BKI sector, they'll five you a nice blue/green MASwings box with Milo,Sandwich(1 chicken and 1 eggfilling i think) and Cadbury Bytes.I love the box...really nice...square,blue all over with green "daun midin" logo across the box.Sorry,no pic.

sound interesting. hehe...

keith is right - i don't mind a sandwich if it is filling and tasty. There are ways to save money but it can't be at the expense of food/beverage.

Understand SQ is trying to offer inflight meal that is better than passengers’ average meal at home or restaurant.

MH snackbox contents is available from 7-11. Wonder how many people buy their lunch from 7-11 regularly?

Believe it is fair to say MH snackbox is worst than passenger’s average meal. Guess MH has redefined ‘hospitality’.

As most Asians are brought up not to waste any food. Fair number of pax take away the snackbox doesn’t mean they enjoy the contents but more likely to keep the box as souvenir or bring the prepacked food for their kids, maid or dog.

:drinks:

Understand SQ is trying to offer inflight meal that is better than passengers’ average meal at home or restaurant.

MH snackbox contents is available from 7-11. Wonder how many people buy their lunch from 7-11 regularly?

Believe it is fair to say MH snackbox is worst than passenger’s average meal. Guess MH has redefined ‘hospitality’.

As most Asians are brought up not to waste any food. Fair number of pax take away the snackbox doesn’t mean they enjoy the contents but more likely to keep the box as souvenir or bring the prepacked food for their kids, maid or dog.

:drinks:

SQ being SQ, it's a loss of face for them if their meals look like something one can get from any roadside or convenience shop. As such, no matter how low quality their food actually is, they'd do everything to package it and market it so that it looks a bit more 'high class'. I understand that a about two years ago, they decided that it was too difficult for their crew to do a full snack service for 200 over pax on their 777s from SIN-PEN (of course it was also part of their cost cutting exercise). They engaged their subsidiary, Country Foods, to produce quick snacks such as meat pies, pittas, and even pre-packed chicken rice to be served on these short sectors. Country Foods came up with a beautiful looking package for these food in place of the standard tray service. Not sure whether this eventually took off. Anyone been on SQ's SIN-PEN flights lately to confirm this?

As for cost cutting, I must say that SQ has a way of doing this quite subtly. Back in 2002...during and after SARS... SQ went on a major cost cutting exercise. They removed cheese and crackers from all meals, including main service such as Lunch and Dinner. They also removed the creamer from all trays, but passengers could ask for them if they needed it. This apparently saved them $$ substantially and prevented wastage. Passengers of course started complaining. As such, they were immediately reinstated once the airline started reaping reasonable profits again around 2004.

That said, I must admit that MH's snekboks do look quite appealing in design... I can't say the same for its contents. But seriously, I would not use Sandwic... and use the standard English spelling instead. For the uninitiated, it really does look like a spelling error... which in turn leads one to assume a lack of professionalism as proper spellchecks were not done. Same goes with Air instead of water. For people who do not speak/understand Bahasa, they'd really be wondering why MH calls H2O air!?

Even if MH is proud of their Malay heritage, they could perhaps make it more interesting for passengers by having little footnotes on their packaging to create greater awareness of the Malay language, then passengers could enjoy thirst quenching water and learn Bahasa at the same time!

Edited by S. Huang

thanks for the post Huang! it gives us something to think about...especially the reasons why MAS can#t learn from its profitable rival down south.

However, their meals are getting worse. it is embarassing for an asian airline to serve up meals like them. Even PIA have tastier food. i experienced it on my LHR-KUL flights. very very disappointed as that is one of the reasons i flew with MH

Routes to LHR were once where the best service was served onboard MH. 4 years ago , I used to be able to get 4 hot meals and cabin crew dispensing ice-cream twicedruing a flight! now in 2008 , the 2 meals they serve look unappetising, no more classy metal utensils, n worse off ... no nasi lemak :blink:

Even EK serves beef rendang and nasi lemak on their UK routes :help:

the contents of MAS Wings snackboxes are also quite inconsistant (sometimes hv fruit, sometimes not)

Malaysian Hospitality must accompanied with food, loads of them and plenty. Ever invited someone to your house and not offer them at least a drink. MH as as I'm concerned is all about entertaining your guest with good food. What more when you're having a paying guest. My mother would never allow her guest leave her house without having anything at least a coffe or tea. MAS has really misconceived the idea of Malaysian Hospitality.