MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Rumour: MH to Cut Inflight Meals Beginning 1 October 2007

i got a hang on one of them while flying to bangkok today.

i was pretty impress with the packaging but the content in it is a little bit of a disappointment.

my suggestion

replace the fruit with fresh cut fruits and salad.

the snack bites - kitkat, uncle toby's snack bar or any other similar to it,

water - with a packet of fruit juice

sandwich - nasi lemak or any other local delicacies (suggestion???my brain is little bit dead now)

The stuff in the MH snackbox matches the contents of a kids lunchbox...

boxif1.jpg

kids lunchbox contents

Express buses like Aeroline or Airebus serve better hot food like a box Nasi Ayam and small portion of kuih. MH could have introduced those RM2.50 a packet "Nasi Lemak Kampung with sambal sotong" than something that looks like supermarket products.

In the business section of today's NST, there is an article about MH's dreadful snackboxes, with one travel agent saying that pax will detest this downgrade, especially those who have paid for frills.

He further suggested that pax will inevitably look elsewhere for regional flights, especially those who don't do LCCs or LCC-wannabes (like MH).

The question should be.....

How come the meal can be so expensive? I've heard somewhere, cost for MH nasi lemak is up to RM30. Why?

omg... that is freaking expensive, especially for meals that is catered in bulk...

BUT maybe that includes stuff like bread rolls, desserts, alcohol, etc??

may b someone forgot to do market survet before awrding contract?

On the contrary, I would imagine that 'someone' would have done their homework beforehand.

I mean, if you're going to charge your customer an 'x' multiple of the current market price of say 'y' value, you'll definitely need to know 'y' so you won't be undercharging (and heaven forbid, lose out on profitability) and 'x' so as not to appear to be too blatant about it (try avoid public scandal)

Oh, the contract ? It's just a piece of paper between consenting parties anyhow

:)

oh no!!!!!!!

my worst suspicions have been confirmed. its not just regional flights that have their catering chopped to bits...\

i have just returned on MH001 from LHR arriving today. Over the last ten years i have travelled the route, MH have been serving consistently excellent meals - twice per flight with abundant snacks, ice cream and drinks. (this is economy la by the way).

yesterdays flight was a joke. lovely crew (a few really gorgeous ones like nadhirah [i think]) ...

catering was substandard. it looked like a microwaveable ready meal - very pitiful quantities - food tasted below average and was seriously lacking the usual malaysian selection (e.g. nasi lemak for breakfast and nice curry/rice/veg for dinner).

desert was dry and looked cheap.

no cheese during main course (not even the small spreadable one)...

and lo behold - tiny snack box in between meals with mini pringles, small muffin, cheese/crackers...

it is really bad. the mat salleh next to me was unhappy since he paid GBP1300 for his Y ticket!!!

could have gone business class on qatar...

its a sad fact but MH will definitely drop out of the 5 star league soon.

then again, who cares about what skytrax thinks?

it is really bad. the mat salleh next to me was unhappy since he paid GBP1300 for his Y ticket!!!

1300 QUID FOR Y CLASS ON MH?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.... :rofl: :rofl:

My gosh..Izanee..sorry to hear about your ridiculous flight on what i can only imagine is a now...ridiculous airline.

Next time...u know where to transit for "sit down on the floor" briyani and sheesha eh? :pardon:

..... the mat salleh next to me was unhappy since he paid GBP1300 for his Y ticket!!!

You wouldn't have asked him why he did what he did, did you ?

Hopefully not, cause you might well have had to reveal what it 'normally' costs. And that would have been an extremely inhumane act :)

bc tam - hahaha...he is a seasoned LHR-KUL traveller and knows the usual fares are GBP600 ish. he was travelling with his gay partner to KUL for 1 month's break! imran - i'm flying back with EK probably. need to have good portions of briyani on each leg of the trip. we still haven't had that sheesha yet... i'll drop by sometime! insyaAllah!

sorry MH - i have always been a loyal supporter - and even travel all the way down to shitty LHR just to fly on MH....its time to move on to bigger things. They've pushed me way over the line now - i can't stomach this anymore. literally.

by the way - flight was overbooked so they gave me good money to get offloaded + five star hotel stay for 8 hours + transport to/fro LHR (not far). that's not through their generosity but thro' the EU rulings on the voluntary denied boarding scheme.

forgot my camera in the rush so trip report will come soon - without photos!

Edited by Izanee

Just spent RM332 KUL-TGG-KUL in Dec, in what probably my last on MH on my own money for a long time. Recent RM7 increase per way was freaking fuel surcharge for its fleet of OLD OLD planes. Now I couldn't care if Mas wants to increase fares and fees to seventh heaven, or downgrade products to the depths of the deepest trench on the planet. i am done.

By the way, saw these ads screaming at me at MAS KL Sentral office. Just could not resist taking some shots with my phone's camera to remember an airline my family and I supported for over 35 years. Not any more.

1_resize.jpg

2_resize.jpg

3_resize.jpg

4_resize.jpg

Yeah right. So much for your hospitality B.S.,..... more like milking money from pax for crappy products.

By the way, I can't wait to avail myself to the comforts of Malaysia Airline's fleet of modern aircraft, in this case the state-of-the-art Boeing 737-400 to TGG and back, and relish on a packet of peanuts and cup of orange juice. Lovely :)

Those ads sent chills down my spine - like some communist country slogan. Cheap and totally crass! The new MH motto

Instead of wasting money spinning such horrible ads, should MH consider how to upgrade services?

OT - tried to book KUL-SYD-KUL for Jan travel online. Y class - SQ's A380 mere RM200 more expensive than MH's old plane, (MH return trip has a stopover in BNE)....Go figure! Good bye MH...

it does actually sound like communist propaganda! hahahaha

anyways - for GBP 600 pounds you get ONE packet of peanuts. i suppose for GBP 1300 you get the same!

i don't know what's up with the blue background and white lettering. they have changed their screens to that in LHR. Don't know about KUL. i'm not sure if it looks as classy as the old one.

Idris jala rules! palpatine rules!

increasing profits by sale of assets will not last long. what happens when we run out of assets?

ask PNB to buy a few 787s/350s - then sell them off again!

what i do not understand is HOW they could not make LHR , their flagship route work???? we only have 16 direct flights a week....for god's sake - the 100 000 pax/year who travelled by BA have all been snatched up by EK,QR,EY,KL. MH can't see a golden opportunity even if it hit them in their bollocks.

it is a bloody nightmare to get any decent tickets to KUL if you book last minute. less choice, less frequency.

SIN has seven daily flights to LHR (direct).... six with 744, one with 772.

KLM should either upgrade KUL to 772 (better IFE, bigger capacity) or do double daily 74Ms.

or AF should fly to KUL!!!!!

Are you listening Pieter??

:)

Did Idris really fixed or screwed up MAS? I would like to think both.....

They should have followed Air NZ's model. LCC in domestic and then full service in long haul but it is kinda late now.

Anyways, that confirmed I have no desire to fly with MAS anymore, the full fare 5 star LCC airline..... I will move over to SQ and CX from now on. ;)

Izanee, did your MH001 flight to LHR includes a snack pack meal with one of the meals? I would imagine something similar to the 10 hours long MH130/131 that serves the KUL-AKL route.

Edited by S V Choong

Sad to say... these cost cuts are not limited to MH as I've pointed out quite a few times in my posts. The only problem is, MH has a reason (however dubious) for cost cuts. Other carriers are cost cutting just to see how much pax will tolerate before switching to other carriers.

In general, times are good in the industry. Due to the A380 delays and other things, there is a worldwide aircraft shortage which has led to an artificially inflated load factor on most airlines whose expansion plans are disrupted. This has led to lots of airline execs thinking that pax will continue to be loyal no matter what is being thrown at them. A bit of a collusion to maintain fare levels and cut costs as everyone has no problem filling their planes anyway (these days you can be waitlisted even for full fare F on SQ!).

But in my opinion, when times are good - airlines should be cultivating loyalty, especially from their high yield pax such as business travellers, instead of rapidly cutting benies. Well we'll see if they learn when there's an economic recession and companies start retrenching employees and/or trim corp travel policies.

It is extremely disconcerting to note that most airline execs I've interacted with (from quite a few different airlines) have a very delusional idea of the superiority of their own products. Most have never sampled the products of their competitors.

In MH's case, it might very well be the case that they're gambling on the loyalty of their regular pax (Malaysians keen to support the national carrier; other pax who were once charmed by the MH service), to put up with these changes which can be perceived as essential to maintain the financial longevity of the airline. Whether this will work for them in the long run remains to be seen, when pax realise the way this industry works - what's taken away rarely makes a return (small exception to the rule - LX and food in Europe).

Edited by Keith T

That's right. Passenger boom and aircraft shortage contributing to MH's high handed way of dealing with ex- loyal customers...

Edited by V Wong

Izanee,

Youre right. The food does sound pathetic compared to recent years, according to your description. How much did you/or company paid for the ticket btw?

You're probably better off flying SQ or EK for KUL-europe long haul these days....

THere is a reason why I will fly with MH still:

tickets provided by my employer. Hehehehh... or and when seats on AK is unavailable or the nett price gets higher than that of MH.

Of course I'm talking about domestic travel.