MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Kevin Teh

Protest held against AirAsia

source: The Star

Protest held against AirAsia

SEPANG: More than 20 disabled and wheelchair-bound members of the Barrier-Free Environment and Accessible Transport Group (BEAT) held a protest against AirAsia for its refusal to take passengers who were completely immobile.

The protesters, headed by the group's co-ordinator Christine Lee, and assistant co-ordinators V. Murugeswaran and Peter Tan, demanded AirAsia reviews its policies and takes reasonable steps to ensure facilities and services provided at the low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) are non-discriminatory.

Lee said that unlike KLIA, the LCCT does not incorporate aerobridges, which allow easier access for passengers to board planes.

“Passengers are instead required to walk up a flight of boarding stairs – a daunting task when one is disabled from the waist down,” she said.

Lee said that when booking AirAsia tickets online, a separate icon would appear on the website asking if the ticket purchaser would require “special assistance”.

“If you clicked 'yes', then you won't be able to proceed with your booking.

“That's when I called AirAsia's call centre, and was told that they were unable to accept passengers who are completely immobile.

“This is even stipulated in AirAsia's terms and conditions!” she added.

Lee also said that AirAsia charged RM12 for renting out a wheelchair, which a passenger could use to go from the ticketing counter to the departure hall.

“One would then have to go from the check-in gate to the aircraft without the wheelchair, which is quite absurd.”

Murugeswaran pointed out that AirAsia also stipulated that the carriage of persons with limited mobility was subject to whether they were able to climb the boarding stairs unaided or aided.

“Passengers who are unable to board the stairs without any assistance would be requested to travel with a caregiver or companion.

“This is blatantly discriminating, unfair and unacceptable. We want to be independent and not have to rely on other people to chaperon us when travelling,” he said, adding that nothing has been done despite BEAT holding a dialogue with AirAsia on the matter more than two years ago.

During the protest, BEAT also urged Malaysia Airports Bhd to ensure all new and old airports in the country are equipped with facilities to improve accessibility to disabled passengers.

When contacted, an AirAsia spokesman said they were unable to comment on the matter at present.

hmm....

Edited by Kevin Teh

Doubt AK will respond. They never do, not even to public criticism in the press!

you didn't pay for that kind of services, thats why AK refuse to handle....come on la, its a low cost carrier..i'm with AK on this...

“One would then have to go from the check-in gate to the aircraft without the wheelchair, which is quite absurd.”

How come I always see ppl being wheelchaired to/from the staircase of the planes. A week ago on the PDG flight, 2 guys on wheelchairs all the way from plane to baggage collection.

“This is blatantly discriminating, unfair and unacceptable. We want to be independent and not have to rely on other people to chaperon us when travelling,” he said, ...

This guy is not being realistic. When immobile, you can't really be 'independent'.

+++

Now "Everyone" Can Fly !!!

Lol...

TRUE ENOUGH!!!

AK always been proud of this motto and now....

alhough they're a low cost carrier,they should've find a solution for this kind of problem.How can you have money to buy 100+ new airbus but can't spend money on some facilities for the disabled???

My pop has been disabled because of stroke. He's wheelchair bound too. But he's a keen traveller and has been using AK numerous times. The last time he flew on AK, the special assistance checkbox on the website was not yet there (or was it? Cos I don't recall checking the box)

He's how we deal with it:

1. he never travels alone (of course). We are not that dysfunctional hahahah.

2. he gets his wheelchair tagged at the check-in counter. But gets to travel to the aircraft on that wheelchair. The ground crew takes it when we reach the bottom of the stairs.

3. we assisted him going up to his "reserved" seat. You need to make an effort to ask the FA's for it. It's AK, you see. You need to make that extra 'everyday' effort.

4. arriving at the destination, we disembark last and his wheels (he says they are his limo. Hahah) are waiting for him at the bottom of the stairs. Of course he needs balancing support going down the aircraft. That's what we are there for.

5. always sport that "hey, my pop's disabled but, hell, he still travels -- and he's cool!" smile in exchange for those sneering looks we get.

I wonder if our 'workflow' there constitutes "special assistance" which requires us to check the "Special Assistance" box for his future flights booking. If 'yes', then the next time they go jalan-jalan (I always kena tinggal), he has to take MH and gets to flirt with kebaya-clad ladies while the rest scramble on AK. Hahahahahahha!

My pop has been disabled because of stroke. He's wheelchair bound too. But he's a keen traveller and has been using AK numerous times. The last time he flew on AK, the special assistance checkbox on the website was not yet there (or was it? Cos I don't recall checking the box)

My dad had a stroke way back '89, can walk now but very slowly with a limp. Been using AK regularly. He declined wheelchairs all the time. No prob, with us propping him. :D

+++

Been disble is not a insult nor wrong in nature, yet they still need to travel. But as always a person travel will need to pay for what they use regardless that person diable or normal. People who need extra thing of cause have to pay with it. Yes I will say AK can build something like a lift or what so ever to lift people up, but would someone want to pay for it like RM100 per use. Then people will start to :angry:

BTW human are greedy want to travel cheap but yet need full service. AK have said that LCC mean pay per use. NO use no pay simple.

When you're completely immobile, I can't think of any airlines that don't require you to fly with able bodied carer at all times. Flight attendants are flight attendants and can not be held accountable to assist someone who is totally incapacitated off the jet in an emergency.

I stand 100% on AK's side.

the charge of RM12 for a wheelchair may come across as absurd, however, when you think about it, a person who 100% requires the use of a wheelchair will have one already and would thus not need to rent one from AK.. Ewan's scenario is the best, use your own until the A/C then have assistance to get aboard.

I've never seen a disabled passenger ever travelling alone..

hmm interesting to see what comes out of this

i believe sometimes this services should be provided as a complimentary rather than a compulsory service to the people around as they will always remember whenever when they want to travel, they will just simply know who to look for first.=).moreover airline business have always been in the case where they are served from the point they check in till they disembark.

just my 2 cents.

Edited by FK Wong

If disable can live independently, less burden is imposed on their family and society, and resources (e.g. family time) can be relocate more productively.

Disable take longer time and effort to board the aircraft, and may prolong turn around time. AK should purchase scissor lift truck for disable and may charge them for the use.

:drinks:

I wonder if it's so true that once you click "yes" as reported in the news, you can't continue booking a seat on the flight. That's discriminatory if true... Or that the FAs have to be informed prior to the flight so they could assist you I don't know... I'm sure this is the case in premier airlines like MH as I have witnessed that before.

This disabled who made it into the news... I hope he/she has done enough research regarding this matter, otherwise, it's a blesphemy. And, perhaps he/she is asking too much. Some money is probably needed to get him/her onto the flight, but he/she is unwilling to pay on the basis of discrimination. I don't know...??

Edited by Teoh Z Yao

I wonder if it's so true that once you click "yes" as reported in the news, you can't continue booking a seat on the flight. That's discriminatory if true...

You can always find out at airasia.com

:drinks:

hey tony. u are making good money!! be a little compassionate will ya. u can't be too extreme like ryanair. :rolleyes:

July 16, 2007 21:13 PM

Govt Orders AirAsia, Malaysia Airports To Facilitate Disabled

SEPANG, July 16 (Bernama) -- Upset with the difficulties faced by the disabled at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) here, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy today ordered Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd and AirAsia Bhd to sort out the matter.

"I am unhappy with this. I want to see solutions," he told reporters after launching AirAsia's Kuala Lumpur-Shenzen service here.

Chan said the government felt strongly that some kind of assistance should be given for the disabled to facilitate their travel via LCCT.

"We would like to see AirAsia and Malaysia Airports sit down quickly and sort out the necessary facilitation," he said.

AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes, who was with Chan, denied that the low cost airline turned away wheelchair bound passengers.

In fact, he said, the airline's ground staff take the disabled to the aircraft and physically carry them onboard.

"We do not even charge for this service and there is certainly no discrimination against them," he claimed.

But he pointed out that AirAsia cannot cater to those with total immobility as the airline does not have the right facilities for them including the right kind of toilets that a full service airline could provide, wider aisles and detachable seats.

He said the physical limitations of AirAsia aircraft make it near impossible for the airline to cater to those who are totally immobile.

"As a low cost carrier we cannot do that as this will require us to change the whole plane," he said.

Fernandes said the airline is trying to work out a solution with Malaysia Airports to provide an `ambulift' that will cost RM1 million.

"But at the moment, we are still arguing with them about charges on use of this terminal compared to the facilities that the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) has," he said.

Unless Malaysia Airports reduces its charges on AirAsia, Fernandes said the lesser-equipped LCCT will not have an ambulift of its own and AirAsia staff will continue carrying these passengers.

"MAS charges totally immobile passengers three seats and have wide-bodied aircraft that can move them easily. We don't (do that)," he said.

Asked if the only option for this group is full service airlines, he said: "We cannot cater to everyone, but we try to".

"It breaks my heart to read 'Now Everyone Can Fly, but not everyone'. But we also have to be real on what we can or can't do," he said.

Fernandes said the airline tries to find solutions and has even spoken to Airbus and the engineers to see if it can further facilitate travel for the immobilised, "but it's near impossible".

"The last point they (Barrier-Free Environment and Accessible Transport Group or BEAT) raised was that they don't think this airport is very friendly for the physically handicapped. I don't own this airport, ask Malaysia Airports," he said.

-- BERNAMA

"MAS charges totally immobile passengers three seats ........ We don't (do that)," he said.

This is something new to me. Wonder if there is any discount?!

Three seats? How clueless. For a stretcher they need 3 rows, for a total of 9 seats. I'll get a picture next time I have the opportunity to do so.

As for price and discounts, I simply don't know.

"We do not even charge for this service and there is certainly no discrimination against them," he claimed.

If i'm not mistaken, AK do charge for the wheelchair, should you need one.

But he pointed out that AirAsia cannot cater to those with total immobility as the airline does not have the right facilities for them including the right kind of toilets that a full service airline could provide, wider aisles and detachable seats.

He said the physical limitations of AirAsia aircraft make it near impossible for the airline to cater to those who are totally immobile.

"As a low cost carrier we cannot do that as this will require us to change the whole plane," he said..

Bull ... Neither does MAS B737-400 have wheelchair accessable lavatory and none of the aisle seats armrest can be lifted up. The aisle on MAS 734 is also narrower than AK 320. And also let's not forget when MAS were still operating out of Terminal 2 & 3 (SZB), MAS also did not have the kind of "right facilities" for disabled passengers to board their plane.

**right facilities - i am referring to aerobridge, which will let disabled passengers to board the plane easier.

Three seats? How clueless. For a stretcher they need 3 rows, for a total of 9 seats. I'll get a picture next time I have the opportunity to do so.

As for price and discounts, I simply don't know.

Save u the trouble Capt,

Only 6 seats visible from this pic

dsc01508ao6.jpg

The whole 3 rows in total.

dsc01506mt0.jpg

said enough, customer always right.............

thanx for the piz Khaled, I duuno the can do that with the seats, and I wonder how the pax reaction

Edited by Seth K

Save u the trouble Capt,

Only 6 seats visible from this pic

dsc01508ao6.jpg

The whole 3 rows in total.

dsc01506mt0.jpg

I had an opportunity to have witnessed that long time ago. MYY-KUL on MH's 737-400. It was long time ago back then when salads, bread rolls, jigsaw puzzles were a must in Y Class.

They had the entire 3 rows to them, the patient was at the stretcher and her daughter i think if i remembered correctly (i was small back then) were entirely with her during journey. She's in KL for a transplant if ive not mistaken.