MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
adrianqcs

Airbus To Compensate MAS For Delay In Delivery Of A380 Superjumbo

Don't count too hard on ever seeing the A380 in full MH livery.

SQ has orders and options for 40 787s (can't remember which variant).

yea you were right about them ordering it

SEATTLE, Oct. 11, 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE:BA] announced today that Singapore Airlines has ordered 20 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners, with purchase rights for 20 additional airplanes.

The airline originally announced the selection of and intent to purchase the 787-9 in June.

Singapore Airlines' new 787-9s will be delivered from 2011 through 2013, providing growth as well as fleet renewal. The carrier intends to use the new airplanes on routes to North Asia, the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East.

"The importance of Singapore Airlines as a member of the 787 Dreamliner family cannot be overstated," said Larry Dickenson, vice president, Sales - Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "This is another great step in our long-standing relationship with one of the world's aviation leaders."

Singapore Airlines' order for these 20 Dreamliners brings the total orders for the 787 family to 422 airplanes from 33 customers, with commitments for 23 additional airplanes announced by other customers.

The airline has not made an engine selection.

The 787-9 Dreamliner will carry 250 - 290 passengers on routes of 8,600 to 8,800 nautical miles (15,900 to 16,300 km). The airplane will use 20 percent less fuel for comparable missions than any similarly sized airplane and will also travel at speeds similar to today's fastest widebodies, Mach 0.85.

General Electric and Rolls-Royce are developing the engines for the new airplane, which will feature a standardized engine interface, allowing either manufacturer's engines to be installed at any time on the airplane. The new engines are expected to contribute as much as 8 percent of the increased efficiency of the new airplane. Singapore Airlines currently operates 25 747-400s and the world's largest 777 fleet: 12 777-300s, 31 777-200s and 15 777-200ERs. In addition, SIA has 19 777-300ERs on order, the first of which will be delivered in the fourth quarter of this year.

Don't count too hard on ever seeing the A380 in full MH livery.

why r?the company is in trouble again that they have to lease it out?

as the compensation will probably be tied in to any future aircraft purchases (at least Airbus will probably want to sway it at that direction).

I hope Airbus will offer MAS the enhanced A330-300 (A330-300X), as a replacement for MAS ageing 333. The enhanced 333 is more fuel efficient :good:

1st I think the A380S looks ugly in any colours....MAS CEO has once said that the B747 doesnt fits the national network....so i expect the delivery of the A380s is unlikely...any compensation will be discount given to MAS in order to convince MAS to take up the A320S and the A35OXWB. Airbus is loosing the market shares after they fail to deliver the A380s on time...and the development of the A350s is still not on the final stage. I believe they are very hunger for market shares. A hungry men is always a mad man which is in this case refer to AIRBUS :drinks:

Airbus Still In Talks With Malaysia Airlines On A380 Compensation

MH should cancel the A380 and order the A320-family (A319/320/321) aircraft instead :o

Gives them a more flexible fleet for regional/domestic flights than to fill these giants only on selected routes (EU/AU + US ?)...

just my 2 sen...

MH should cancel the A380 and order the A320-family (A319/320/321) aircraft instead :o

Gives them a more flexible fleet for regional/domestic flights than to fill these giants only on selected routes (EU/AU + US ?)...

just my 2 sen...

haha....then again....the whole malaysia airspace will be flooded around with airbus in the sky...hehe...i'm pretty sure that boeing will do something.

No point of getting the A380 when you load is not even that high to begin with. They have already cut down the frequency to LHR to twice daily, and that's not fully full in all seats.

For SQ, they really need it ASAP, 3 flights daily, and all flights are full, which I truly hate. Even bizarre flying hours are full to the brim.

Precisely, i was flying from KUL-LHR on 24/6 and apparently the flight is not full. Most of the passengers in the EY are Malaysian while C Class are mainly British. LHR route was once very full especially during the Xmas and Summer but not now. What amaze me is when i checked the MAS website, the designated flight was full as indicated but when i boarded the plane is only about 95% full. I am sure MAS is loosing $$ if such seat are not released at last minute. As such, I dont think the A380s is necessary..and the the only reason the plane is not cancel is either of political reason or AIRBUS is dragging the time so as to convince MAS to take up the A350XWB or A320s :rolleyes:

Precisely, i was flying from KUL-LHR on 24/6 and apparently the flight is not full. Most of the passengers in the EY are Malaysian while C Class are mainly British. LHR route was once very full especially during the Xmas and Summer but not now. What amaze me is when i checked the MAS website, the designated flight was full as indicated but when i boarded the plane is only about 95% full. I am sure MAS is loosing $$ if such seat are not released at last minute. As such, I dont think the A380s is necessary..and the the only reason the plane is not cancel is either of political reason or AIRBUS is dragging the time so as to convince MAS to take up the A350XWB or A320s :rolleyes:

it always have to be political...it is just like the first malaysian and the first malaysian thingy running around with "malaysia boleh"!!!

Has MAS lost so many passengers in its flagship route? I suppose MH has priced itself out of the market, as even gov connected organizations are opting for other carriers. It used to be that gov travels will be on MH as the first choice, wherever available.

Has MAS lost so many passengers in its flagship route? I suppose MH has priced itself out of the market, as even gov connected organizations are opting for other carriers. It used to be that gov travels will be on MH as the first choice, wherever available.

hmmmmm....we are pretty not clear about certain things that has been happening recently.Infact i don't really think it is certain there is a number of it.taking back the RAS for an example.I still remember that there used to be once that the govt. were jumping up and down about MAS sending their cadet pilots to be trained abroad rather than being trained in MFA and now the govt seems to be turning things the other way round on things like what rohzan said.. <_< ..hypocrites...

On the part of losing the flagship routes i guess it is once and again the ageing a/c that MH is having..haha ,for the same price of a ticket or maybe even lesser..would you take a 737 or 777 to based on the KUL-SIN and SIN-KUL route?feedbacks from customer says that the 777 is so much more comfortable as we all know. :drinks: likewise we sometimes know that there is certain things about short sector flights doesn't really affect too much on passenger comfortability..but well...there again..back to square one..services provided during pre-flight,in-filight and post flight affects alot either...

Just let it go, go for all Boeing

777-300ER

Question Mark Still Hangs Over MAS' Order For A380 Aircraft

By Manik Mehta

PARIS, June 19 (Bernama) -- At the world's biggest aerospace show of Le Bourget in Paris, which opened yesterday, aviation analysts were asking about the fate of the order placed by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) for the latest generation of Airbus aircraft, the A380.

Malaysia's national carrier has been keeping the cards close to its chest, and has yet to take a final decision either way with regard to the eight aircraft of the A380 type which it had ordered but which it said would be reviewed as the airline embarked on a cost-cutting exercise.

"You either go ahead with the order or you don't. You can't keep others in a state of suspense over what you propose to do. Also, it is not a good management policy to have an unclear situation for the airline's operations. After all, it has been more than a year for taking a decision," said aviation analyst Guy Fossie.

Airbus sources are equally anxious to know what MAS intends to do with the order.

Production and delivery delays on the part of the aircraft manufacturer resulted in an upset earlier. Heads of some senior executives at Airbus also rolled.

However, MAS has been sending unclear signals which many interpreted as "yes-no-yes" kind of responses.

The Le Bourget show itself has been a bonanza for Airbus which reaped a windfall of orders which should resuscitate its depleting fortunes.

It could end up with orders worth billions of dollars during the show, stealing the thunder from its archrival Boeing.

Indeed, Airbus seemed to have pulled the rug from under Boeing's feet on Monday by getting 90 firm orders for its future project A350 in the fiercely competitive market of medium-range aircraft, a segment dominated so far by Boeing with its Dreamliner model.

An elated John Leahy, who heads Airbus' sales operations, was prompted to comment that the aircraft manufacturer was expected to have more than 280 orders in its books.

At the previous Le Bourget show two years ago, it had received 280 orders, including statements of intent.

"I assume that we will surpass this figure," Leahy said.

everyone else seems to be using this opportunity to double the number of orders or at least add orders of that type..

they still remain silent as always...and i don't know if it is going to be a certainty now..

A380 hanger, upgrading of satellite terminal for A380 at KUL is nearly complete and A380 is a ‘must have’ for a ‘world class’ airline. Bet my 2 cents MH won’t cancel the A380 order.

If to judge by past record, we can expect MH to slash ticket price on the kangaroo route to fill A380, going for another spiralling low yield, poor service trend.

Old wine in new bottle, despite a few change of CEO, nothing much has changed or improved since 1990’s.

:drinks:

I think MH will try to link this with the possible orders for new aircraft from Airbus, which it is supposed to make a decision on towards late this year (in time for LIMA?)

Keep the A380 order intact,and don't even think to cancel the order.That's it.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

A380 hanger, upgrading of satellite terminal for A380 at KUL is nearly complete and A380 is a ‘must have’ for a ‘world class’ airline. Bet my 2 cents MH won’t cancel the A380 order.

If to judge by past record, we can expect MH to slash ticket price on the kangaroo route to fill A380, going for another spiralling low yield, poor service trend.

Old wine in new bottle, despite a few change of CEO, nothing much has changed or improved since 1990’s.

Always the pessimist....

1. Not only MAS plans to operate the A380 out of KUL. EK has the worlds largest order of the type and has in the past said that it would use the A380 to KUL.

2. Our neighbour to the south is ordering the type, and Qantas Airways will fly through SIN with the type too. KUL is a diversion airport for most if not ALL flights destined for SIN... something happens at SIN and these beasts need to be accomodated, then better to have the aerodrome ready to handle and support it, especially after those long haul flights, don't you think??

3. MAS doesn't have to operate the type to be able to service the A/C for third parties - how do you know this could not be the case in the future?? A Hangar would be needed - and it's large enough to support ANY aircraft, not just the A380... squeeze 3-4 777s/A330s/737s in there and voila! the facility at SZB has been looking pretty full lately mate...

4. Your whole bit about the "old wine in a new bottle" is utterly baseless.. Have a look at the past 18 months in DETAIL and not purely through whatever form of defective eyewear you may be wearing.. I'm getting tired of reading ALL your negativity in this forum.. Yeah the past has been pretty crap, but the future does look somewhat bright... We all had our doubts when the BTP was launched, but it IS proving fruitful..

5. The decision on the A380 hasn't been made yet. So stop counting the chickens before they hatch. Unless you have a document signed sealed and delieverd from an extremely credible source.

Again, sorry to be harsh, but please, for once - look on the brighter side of things.

Hmm - now I'm not sure I'm as enthusiastic as most about the A380's arrival. Sure it'd offer a more personal space and luxurious new cabins - but we're also talking about lengthier queues at immigration and quarantine, longer time required to board/disembark, more crowded lounges etc

And besides - for SQ, the A380's Y and C cabins will be identical to the 77W's anyway, so that's a big part of the suspense gone. The only thing to look out for is the F cabin - being able to afford SQ F is another story given that they;'ve been so stingy on mileage redemptions for the new cabins... :angry:

QF has confirmed that it'd introduce premium economy on the A380 though. :good:

Edited by Keith T

Don't expect to see an A380 in MH colors before 2011.

Engineering economics, anybody?

We shouldn't be going for any Boeing or any Airbus just because it's the latest, it's the biggest or it's "Simply The Best Choice"! These airlines are there to make money, and any engineering student worth his salt will know purchasing and even keeping assets has its Mathematics and it ain't easy. Ever wonder why Southwest never bothered to get a 747 or an A380? Because it has its own business model and economics to adhere to. Uniformity of fleet adheres to its economical reasoning.

I think most complainers here are no better than the previous management that essentially decided on this and that to suit their fancy and whim at the expense of the company! The leaders we have are truly a reflection of the people who elected them (most of us!).

I share Sandeep's frustration.

Always the pessimist....

1. Not only MAS plans to operate the A380 out of KUL. EK has the worlds largest order of the type and has in the past said that it would use the A380 to KUL.

2. Our neighbour to the south is ordering the type, and Qantas Airways will fly through SIN with the type too. KUL is a diversion airport for most if not ALL flights destined for SIN... something happens at SIN and these beasts need to be accomodated, then better to have the aerodrome ready to handle and support it, especially after those long haul flights, don't you think??

3. MAS doesn't have to operate the type to be able to service the A/C for third parties - how do you know this could not be the case in the future?? A Hangar would be needed - and it's large enough to support ANY aircraft, not just the A380... squeeze 3-4 777s/A330s/737s in there and voila! the facility at SZB has been looking pretty full lately mate...

4. Your whole bit about the "old wine in a new bottle" is utterly baseless.. Have a look at the past 18 months in DETAIL and not purely through whatever form of defective eyewear you may be wearing.. I'm getting tired of reading ALL your negativity in this forum.. Yeah the past has been pretty crap, but the future does look somewhat bright... We all had our doubts when the BTP was launched, but it IS proving fruitful..

5. The decision on the A380 hasn't been made yet. So stop counting the chickens before they hatch. Unless you have a document signed sealed and delieverd from an extremely credible source.

Again, sorry to be harsh, but please, for once - look on the brighter side of things.

I believe you the one who is wearing defective eyewear. I didn’t say anything negative about having A380 capable terminal or hanger in my post.

I don’t only observe but travel on MH as a pax. I am lucky to have the opportunity to compare MH with other airlines. If MH can’t accept criticism, it is no wonder the gap between SQ and MH is widening every years.

I stand to be corrected if MH cancels A380 order.

:rofl:

Don't expect to see an A380 in MH colors before 2011.

radzi got insider news about this?