5 Seoul Incheon Airport

6 KLIA - Kuala Lumpur Airport

7 Helsinki Vantaa Airport

8 Zurich Airport

9 Dubai International Airport

10 Copenhagen Airport

10 Copenhagen Airport

Kastrup better than Schiphol ??? :blink: :mellow: :angry: :nea:

Changi proves it that you don't have to me ULTRA MODERN to be the best airport.

With proper refurbishment, an airport can be the best. Kudos to Singapore.

Agreed.

Anyway, was looking at 2005's top-10 airports, and realised that Sydney and Amsterdam airports were squeezed out of the listing. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you Walter !!!!

In a way, its a shame to KLIA for being new and modern in architecture yet not compatible to our older counterpart. But I am sure many will beg to differ that KLIA has its ups and downs but I still think there are loads more that MAB and other authorities can do to improve KLIA as a prefered choice ;

- training the staff for excellence in customer care

- improving effieciency and standards of service provided

- catering to modern day customer needs such as internet, entertainment and etc

- wooing more airlines and with a lot of support from MH and AK to market KUL

- tackling theft and security issues that occur a lot recently

- keeping taxi touts/menaces out of the airport buildings

- keeping hotel reps shut esp when pax arrive, more like a harassment taking place

:pardon:

What happened to KLIA??? :o So sad to hear that HKIA is no longer the best airport.. :(

Congratulations to Changi International Airport on the top list!

oh no KLIA out of top 5.... our neighbour is doing good job maintaining theirs.. congrats to them...

HKIA must work hard to back up to the first then :D

I always like HKG airport because of its space, high ceiling and lots of natural light. Changi's low ceiling gives a congested feeling.

The only complain is HKG lacks open-air deck like NRT, HND or NGO. Its also a simpler to navigate for travellers because of its structural configuration and especially the direct flow into the heart of HK island's financial district.

I can get off the plane, clear immigration, catch a train and get straight to the meeting room under 45-55mins. After meeting, the process is reversed. The business can be finished within 1 day without the need to stay overnight.

HKG's ranking may improve next year with the introduction of RFID micro-chip baggage tags, which is seen as improvement of service quality criteria. RFID = baggage tag with its own antenna. This allows tracing of lost baggages using their signals.

Having great infrastructure is NOTHING if it is not maintained well, and more importantly if it doesn't have a great system in place. Logistics, IT infrastructure, customer service, among others.

HKG's ranking may improve next year with the introduction of RFID micro-chip baggage tags, which is seen as improvement of service quality criteria. RFID = baggage tag with its own antenna. This allows tracing of lost baggages using their signals.

They might also find it useful at KLIA to stop those bloody thieves. :)

Agree with Walter and kandiah.

But I guess we all agree that KLIA just isn't busy enough for an international airport. There should be more activity going on!

'Nuf said bout the taxi touts and hotel reps - they make KLIA incomparable to Changi; and similar to Pudu bus station. :angry2:

I'd expect RFID to be very expensive, but probably worth the technology if it really does help in efficiency improvement. But halt! KLIA should not introduce this unless its ready to have some people trained to work with it and maintain the system.

RFID costs about USD0.20 compared to IATA figures that show lost baggage costs airlines USD100/bag. So its a good trade-off. Its a thin square film embedded behind the tag and this technology has been used for anti-shoplifting labels in the shops. The basic construction looks like this:

IPB Image

Personally I like CDG and HKG better, high ceiling, open surrounding throughout the whole terminal.

Really cool to see KUL beat the Dubai shppoing/airport :good:

KUL seems to be so modern, and the divided hall seems to look spaceless, it's big but the divider doesn't make it more friendly. From my experience using KUL last year, isn't there is security check, detector/scanner whatever you call it upon entering the waiting hall?(IIRC) :)

RFID costs about USD0.20 compared to IATA figures that show lost baggage costs airlines USD100/bag. So its a good trade-off. Its a thin square film embedded behind the tag and this technology has been used for anti-shoplifting labels in the shops. The basic construction looks like this:

IPB Image

Thanks for the info, Denny.

So for every 1 million baggage carried (that's gotta be less than 1 million pax, mind you), the airline/airport has to spend USD200,000.

Ok, how much will it cost to install, implement, and run the RFID system? I'm assuming that the tags are pretty standardised. Only difference is that the software will generate different codes/IDs for each tag such that they are differentiable. So the system, I guess would be pretty expensive. Also the cost of training for someone to look after the system. All up? (Don't need figures, I'm just giving examples)

I understand it'll be more worthwhile using the system than losing baggage, but my point is, (MH specific) if the airline isn't ready to invest in the system in terms of training, maintenance, and monitoring, it might as well not introduce it so as to not lose face because their competitors has got the advanced technology. Technology is not necessary if it doesn't make economical sense or if it simply doesn't align with the company's business plans.

I know I'm picky... :p

Personally I like CDG and HKG better, high ceiling, open surrounding throughout the whole terminal.

Really cool to see KUL beat the Dubai shppoing/airport :good:

KUL seems to be so modern, and the divided hall seems to look spaceless, it's big but the divider doesn't make it more friendly. From my experience using KUL last year, isn't there is security check, detector/scanner whatever you call it upon entering the waiting hall?(IIRC) :)

One thing I don't like about KLIA is the way its departure halls are designed. Once you get through security at a departure hall, you can't go anywhere else - shops, washrooms etc. Technically you're just locked in the grid itself unless you don't mind going through all the hassles again to scan your bags etc.

And the airport is just tooooo big - looks empty everytime I get there. Having the world's longest baggage conveyor belt, I also spend the world's longest time waiting for my baggage to roll up. <_ i mean can we do things the sweet n simple way>

I don't think you need to spend too much budget on training a staff to handle RFID. They are already embedded on the baggage tags. The system is already automated.

A significant part of the budget will be spent on getting the equipment/system and making it run.

This is how RFID works in an airline scenario.

http://www.scs-mag.com/reader/2000_02/this0200/this0200.htm

There are already 52 case-studies involving RFID application. Out of this total, there are 16 involving airlines (KLM, Asiana, BA, Lan Chile, SQ) or airports (Incheon-Haneda, NRT, Helsinki, SFO, etc). Scroll down to middle of page.

http://www.idtechex.com/products/en/view.a...ctcategoryid=92

There's even a congressional sub-com hearing on this:

http://www.house.gov/transportation/aviati...-03-06memo.html

IATA's comments:

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/news_briefs/2005-11-18-01.htm

The only complain is HKG lacks open-air deck like NRT, HND or NGO. Its also a simpler to navigate for travellers because of its structural configuration and especially the direct flow into the heart of HK island's financial district.

Hope this problem can slightly be solved when the T2 has opened.

RFID costs about USD0.20 compared to IATA figures that show lost baggage costs airlines USD100/bag.

As my lecturer told me, the cost for the RFID chip is now about HKD$0.4 only.

Edited by Sneeze Lam

I suspect that if RFID usage increases in US airports/US-based airlines. Its usage may be "forced" on the rest of the world.

FAA is empowered by law to require that US-bound flights cannot operated within US unless they adhere to specific standards. Therefore, foreign airports or airlines will have to use RFIDs for their US-bound baggage or cargo.

KLIA was not designed or built for convenient of business travellers. It was designed and built to impress tourists. Hence, satellite terminal, sky train, 40 minutes average baggage retrieval time, etc.

Thanks for the interesting list. Been to all, except Kansai. :(

.ny

Naim,

you are some serious traveler. Just which part of the world have you not been to?

Of the list, I have only been to SIN, HKG, and KUL. I happened to transit at Seoul once, but that was at Kimpo.

It was designed and built to impress tourists. Hence, satellite terminal, sky train, 40 minutes average baggage retrieval time, etc.

Actually I was more impressed by the old Subang airport's architecture.

KLIA does not seem any different from HKG or ICN or KIX to me ;)