MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Skytrax's list of world's top airports 2006

I suspect that if RFID usage increases in US airports/US-based airlines. Its usage may be "forced" on the rest of the world.

FAA is empowered by law to require that US-bound flights cannot operated within US unless they adhere to specific standards. Therefore, foreign airports or airlines will have to use RFIDs for their US-bound baggage or cargo.

Not surprising.

Btw, I'm more convinced with the RFID system after reading how it works etc - so it can be reused (that's better - cost-saving! :yahoo:).

KLIA was not designed or built for convenient of business travellers. It was designed and built to impress tourists. Hence, satellite terminal, sky train, 40 minutes average baggage retrieval time, etc.

Well, time to change!

Be it travelling for business, VFR or holiday, travellers are moving towards the same trend - spend less time on travelling and get more out of what has been paid for. Convenient is important, but what's more important is not let ppl stand around the carousel doing nothing, waiting impatiently for their baggage! When I travel, I often start chatting with ppl at the carousel (and they're happy to) because it's just too darn boring - plus, we get to bash the airport (and the airline) to a good extent, complaining all the way until our baggage appears. :pardon:

Naim,

you are some serious traveler. Just which part of the world have you not been to?

Of the list, I have only been to SIN, HKG, and KUL. I happened to transit at Seoul once, but that was at Kimpo.

Never been to South America, but in the works lah. Used to be serious corporate traveler in the 90s, especially. Now a bit older and more a less a professional bum, so I travel with more fun. B)

My plan: when I reach 50, I'll withdraw all my cash in Account #2 of EPF, and use the money to go on epic voyages. :yahoo:

.naim

I think KLIA is loosing its grip and taking a dive because we can see the others coming up and KLIA is still remaining within the range of 6th 7th and maybe next year 8th position wherelse airports like MUC are coming up and booming slowly but surely.

KLIA better buck up or remain at this current position or loose out entirely to SIN and soon to be the new BKK !!!

:help: :help:

Sometimes next year it will be like this <_>

1 Suvarnabhumi International Airport(If they ever going to open it)-see the airport pix, I bet new DXB will have a hard time. Very friendly airport

2 Singapore Changi Airport

3 Hong Kong Int'l Airport

.........and KUL will drop one, and one, and one if they don't react :(

What can they do?

Edited by Seth K

MAB is only good at building new airport or terminals but never known to excel in operation.

Is it right the final stage of KUL will consist of 4 satelite buildings+MTB+new LCC?

That's a little bit anxious?

Anyone has the randering, hope it doesn't look like the current one :)

Is it right the final stage of KUL will consist of 4 satelite buildings+MTB+new LCC?

That's a little bit anxious?

Anyone has the randering, hope it doesn't look like the current one :)

KLIA is originally planned for 100 millions pax pa with 2x MTB, 4x satellites and 5 runways. Basically, mirror image of existing layout.

MTB can cater for 40 to 50 millions ppa.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

I thought HKIA have been using RFID tags since last year...Comes in a dark orange film with a small device on it..

I had 2 attached to my bags while I was there...could be wrong though :rolleyes:

It's the first time that Changi has managed to snag the Skytrax award, though she has been winning other surveys for a while. Well done Changi, grand old lady but still charms her customers. BTW Changi Airport is celebrating her 25th anniversary this July.

It's the first time that Changi has managed to snag the Skytrax award, though she has been winning other surveys for a while. Well done Changi, grand old lady but still charms her customers. BTW Changi Airport is celebrating her 25th anniversary this July.

I'll be using Changi a fair bit this July, so I'll probably spend a bit more time outside the airline lounges scouting for special deals at DFS! :D

This Mecca of airports truly deserves all the acolades she's gotten. On a return flight from Rome to Melbourne via Singapore, it was all I could do to not kiss the ground while in transit in SIN after experiencing the joys of departing from FCO.

Edited by Keith T

I thought HKIA have been using RFID tags since last year...Comes in a dark orange film with a small device on it..

I had 2 attached to my bags while I was there...could be wrong though :rolleyes:

Yes, you are right, it should be started last year.

IPB Image

..... it was all I could do to not kiss the ground while in transit in SIN after experiencing the joys of departing from FCO.

That bad eh ! Gets you wondering why the late Pope used to do it often when arriving at foreign soil - presumably he departs FCO quite frequently !

That bad eh ! Gets you wondering why the late Pope used to do it often when arriving at foreign soil - presumably he departs FCO quite frequently !

:D :D :D

Didn't know RFID was already in used since 2005. Saw it recently on CNN Business Traveller program. Each time I travel on CX, I minimize my stuff to handcarry items in order to use the CXpress kiosks.

Didn't know RFID was already in used since 2005. Saw it recently on CNN Business Traveller program. Each time I travel on CX, I minimize my stuff to handcarry items in order to use the CXpress kiosks.

I had those tags in July 2005 when I came home via HKG.