MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Vicknesh PS

MAB Orders 15 Boeing 737 MAX 8 with 25 Options

Yada yada yada.

Malaysians should seriously stop with the "according to rumours" bullcrap.

Also according to rumours/hearsay; despite cut in many places, gomen opex takes up 99% of current revenue.

In addition, the remaining of 10 737NG from previous order has been converted to this order.

Interesting. Was this mention somewhere in the press conference which we are not aware of? What I understand was the B737NG order was cancelled outright, and three were actually already built now flying with Pegasus Airlines.

I also didnt knew it until my friend told me after he read it from an internal email

Thank you Wan for the insider info. I guess Boeing allows some flexibility, instead of losing all deposits/ down payment for the 10 B737NG, they allow MH to move it to B737 MAX.

So we still do not know what is breakdown of these first 25 frames - how many Max 8, how many Max 9 ?

Could it be MAB is dangling out hope for the A321neoLR in hope of squeezing a better deal from manufacturer A ?

Interesting. Was this mention somewhere in the press conference which we are not aware of? What I understand was the B737NG order was cancelled outright, and three were actually already built now flying with Pegasus Airlines.

Yes it is Julius; according to planespotters.net database; 3 of their B737-800 are B737-8H6, which are

* TC-CPY

* TC-CPZ

* TC-CRA

Link:

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Pegasus?p=2

So we still do not know what is breakdown of these first 25 frames - how many Max 8, how many Max 9 ?

Could it be MAB is dangling out hope for the A321neoLR in hope of squeezing a better deal from manufacturer A ?

First 25 is definitely B737 MAX 8, the rest 25 options interchangeable between MAX 8 and 9. Agree with what you have stated, PB would have placed firm order for MAX 9 if it is indeed better than A321neoLR. PB rather put it up open for further discussion with Airbus. Not sure if Airbus will give big discount though, currently A321neo/LR is commanding a premium price tag over MAX 9.

Darn it! I was hoping MH will order A321neoLR to fight off AirAsia!! Grrr!!

Anyhow, the order is attributed to UFO order previously booked with Boeing. On a side note, I can see Malaysia Airlines operating those MAX alongside with current NG as domestic flight certainly does not need the MAX's range. MH operated the Classics to ground before retiring them for good.

Also, this order makes Malaysia Airlines among the few who place MAX order: VietjetAir 100 firm, Garuda 50, Lion Air 201, Nok Air 8, Silk Air 31.

I still think MH needs the A321neoLR for medium thin route. It will help them to open up new routes to Dubai, Sapporo, Brisbane, Doha etc. The extra 500nm really come in handy which MAX 9 can't do. Also, MH can swap A330ceo with A321neoLR during high and low season. Come on, MH! Order that bloody Airbus!

Their current brand new A330 can do the Dubai, Sapporo, Brisbane, Doha routes. Furthermore the A330 is much better than the A321. A321 is only longer version of the single aisle A320.

Their current brand new A330 can do the Dubai, Sapporo, Brisbane, Doha routes. Furthermore the A330 is much better than the A321. A321 is only longer version of the single aisle A320.

But can MH fill the A330 and fly the routes profitably? That is the main reason why MH wants to operate long range narrow bodies.

We all know the A380 is an excellent plane for the LHR route - just in the A380's sweet spot. But MH was not able to fill the plane, hence they are going for the lower capacity A350-900 to replace the A380.

A New Day
Aug 26, 2016 Kurt Hofmann | ATWOnline

Peter Bellew became CEO and group managing director of Malaysia Airlines Berhad on July 1, succeeding Christoph Mueller. Bellew had been the airline’s COO since August 2015, and previously was director of flight operations at Irish low-cost carrier (LCC) Ryanair. In one of Bellew’s first acts as CEO, Malaysia Airlines announced an order for 25 Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft plus 25 purchase rights.

Interview: Peter Bellew, CEO & Group MD Malaysia Airlines Berhad - http://atwonline.com/airlines/interview-peter-bellew-ceo-group-md-malaysia-airlines-berhad

Malaysia Airlines finalises US$630mil CFM Leap-1B engine order

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) has finalised a US$630mil (RM2.59bil) order for Leap-1B engines with CFM International to power 25 Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.
CFM International, the world’s leading supplier of commercial aircraft engines, is a 50:50 joint venture company between General Electric (GE) and Safran Aircraft Engines.
MAB said in a statement the engine order was scheduled for delivery beginning 2020.
An agreement to seal the deal between MAB and CFM International was signed on Thursday witnessed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
The statement also said that MAB had purchased rights for 25 additional Leap-1B-powered Boeing 737 MAX aircraft.

In the latest edition of Going Places (December edition), Peter Bellew has stated that they are planning to have lie-flat business seats on the 737MAX when they start being delivered in 2019.

That is excellent news, especially since they are planning on using the 737MAX on lots of regional routes, which involves flights of up to 5 or even 6 hours. Finally some forward thinking from MH! Let's just hope they decide to increase the seat pitch on the 737MAX in economy to 32".

I'm assuming that they will have different configurations for domestic flights. Recliners in business class for flights under 3 hours is fine but economy seat pitch needs to be at least 31".

Edited by Josh T

Wonder how the economics of this work, capacity-wise. Will there be less seats in total? Or would the "penalty" be purely on added weight and of course extra cost of the seat itself?

Edited by jani

This was revealed in the recent CAPA analysis write-up on MH. In fact there was also a mention of better biz seats for some of the existing 738s.

Yes, MH really needs a better product on its longer narrow body flights. The current configurations tend to be bearable only on fllghts of about 2½ hours, max. That was why PB has decided that this has got to change.

On the B737Max, it makes even more sense. With the increased range, B737Max aircraft could be flying more medium haul routes (perhaps 5-6 hrs). As such, a cabin configured for short haul will be highly uncomfortable and undesirable. A big turn off for passengers.

This is another move in the right direction.

Edited by flee

I think there'd be a reduced number of business class seats if they want to have lie-flat seats on the 737MAX. I can't see a 1-1 configuration but perhaps 2-2 or even a 1-2 seating configuration with 3 rows only.

1-1 would be dreaming when we don't even have a proper 1-2-1 on the A330s!

As I've been mentioning, the usage of the current Vantage on narrow bodies would be a good option for MH considering their strategy of opening new thin and long routes.

It'll be similar to what Jetblue is doing if this is the case for their A321's Mint class (J).

2-2
1-1
2-2
1-1
2-2

Of course the A321 is a far longer plane than the 737-8.

So maybe MH may go for a:
2-2
1-1
2-2 ?