MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Vicknesh PS

MAB Orders 15 Boeing 737 MAX 8 with 25 Options

erm, maybe similar like this? 1-2 configuration, 1 throne seat just like J class in A330

pic from Boeing official website

gallery_interior_full_3.jpg

Looks very much like GA's colour scheme! Is this their new seats by JPA Design?

Don't need mint or cirrus 1-1 seating. BE Diamond on QR 320 / AA 32T will suffice. I have flown LAX/SFO-JFK on AA/UA 32T/p.s. and those seats work great.

I don't think these planes are meant for prime flights to major cities like PVG/HKG. They are probably used to expand into secondary cities or inject additional frequencies to major cities with off-peak flights (something like KUL-PVG red-eye or daytime KUL-India flights).

I had suggested to Ahmad Jauhari and Hugh Dunleavy 3 years ago to be the launch customer for B737-900 or even B737-800 with flat bed seats in Business Class to cater for 4 - 6 hrs sectors especially to India, Australia, China and Japan. They never bothered to reply.

I had suggested to Ahmad Jauhari and Hugh Dunleavy 3 years ago to be the launch customer for B737-900 or even B737-800 with flat bed seats in Business Class to cater for 4 - 6 hrs sectors especially to India, Australia, China and Japan. They never bothered to reply.

During their regime, A33E j class wasn't even lie flat.

Sharing the info from Jahur in bits corresponding to its respective threads for order of forum discussion.

Boeing 737 Fleet

We currently have 54 aircraft in our fleet of 737-800s with 48 actually operating. 6 of these aircraft are being handed back to lessors in December 2017 and are currently going through a lease return maintenance programme. In 2018, we will operate 44 737 aircraft daily, with 3 in maintenance and 1 available spare.

The current remaining 48 aircraft in the 737-800 fleet start reaching end of lease from early 2019. In 2016, we made 25 firm orders for the 737-MAX8 aircraft and 25 options. The aircraft were ordered as pure replacements for existing planes and arrive on the same month that the other aircraft are retired. The total value of this Boeing MAX8 order of 50 is USD$5.5 billion. The order also had an option to take delivery of some of the larger Boeing MAX9 aircraft instead of the MAX8.

In June 2017, we made a new agreement with Boeing to allow us to choose their new larger MAX10 aircraft for 10 out of the firm order of 25. With this, Malaysia Airlines can decide to take either the MAX8 or MAX10. The MAX10 aircraft are expected to commence delivery in early 2021.

In September 2017, we signed a non-binding MOU with Boeing to facilitate our negotiations with Boeing to change 8 of the firm 737 orders to 8 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. In addition to this, we also placed purchase rights for an additional 8 737MAX8, all while maintaining the total firm order at 25.

The Boeing MAX aircraft will be financed through pre-existing deposits that Malaysia Airlines paid to Boeing on older aircraft and sale and leaseback deals with a variety of international leasing companies.The aircraft will not be owned by Malaysia Airlines but are planned to be on operating leases which is a norm in modern airlines. The Boeing MAX aircraft will have a lease period of some 12 years.

While certain aspects of this fleet update may seem technical in nature, I hope it offers some clarity on the status of our overall fleet and on plans, moving forward. In all of this, I would like to reiterate that as of now, we have a firm order of 25 Boeing 737 aircraft with everything else being optional.

The decision to have the option to purchase and a variety of other arrangements will allow us to have some flexibility in deciding which aircraft suits our operational environment best. Having said this, the management will continue carefully evaluating all options available to us to ensure our purchases make both business and operational sense. This is necessary and in line with ongoing prudent fleet management and cost containment efforts across the group.

Thank you.

25 Boeing 737 MAX breakdown:

15 MAX 8

10 MAX 10

Total = 25