MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Josh T

Qantas and Emirates global partnership now official

I think routes like KUL-DXB-JFK and KUL-DXB-GRU are probably quite attractive.

From Australia, SYD-DXB-LHR is not much different to SYD-KUL-LHR. Much depends on what you intend to do at the stop over cities. Some people might want to break the journey and stay one or two nights at the intermediate points.

EK deployed 388 on DXB-SYD & will deploy it on DXB-MEL. DXB-BNE is on 77W.

Currently:

DXB - SYD - AKL is served by 388

DXB - BKK - SYD - CHC is served by 77W

DXB - SIN - MEL is served by 77W

DXB - KUL- MEL is served by 77W

DXB - MEL - AKL is served by 77W (to be swapped to 388 from Oct)

DXB - BNE - AKL is served by 77W

DXB - SIN - BNE is served by 77W

DXB - PER is served by 773/ 77L/ 77W

DXB - ADL (coming soon by QF?)

The 77W can perform DXB to Australia directly and comfortably without requiring the 345/ 77L at all. Although 345 and 773 did actually served some of these routes before.

I think routes like KUL-DXB-JFK and KUL-DXB-GRU are probably quite attractive.

From Australia, SYD-DXB-LHR is not much different to SYD-KUL-LHR. Much depends on what you intend to do at the stop over cities. Some people might want to break the journey and stay one or two nights at the intermediate points.

I bet SYD-KUL-LHR is much cheaper than SYD-DXB-LHR!

From;n http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/qantas-and-emirates-to-codeshare-in-first-alliance-shakeup-of-the-season-next-qatar-into-oneworld-81650

Collectively Emirates and Qantas will offer 14 flights with approximately 5,000 seats a day between Dubai and Australia from early 2013, the vast majority from Emirates.

Why pax prefer 4 star carriers than 5 star? :sorry:

Qantas will end its long-standing relationship with Air France, which sees Qantas codeshare on Air France's services from Asia to Paris CDG. Estimates are that Air France places 100 passengers a day on Qantas' services to Australia.

Opportunity for MH to work with AF from CDG?

Emirates reported in 2010 that over 85% of passengers on its flights going from Australia to Europe were disembarking at points other than London Heathrow and Frankfurt, Qantas' two served ports.

MH miss the forest for the trees?

Qantas plans to increase connections from Singapore by 25% and provide a 40% increase in capacity from Australia to Asia...

Opportunity for MH to tap OW?

The codeshare critically enables Emirates to tap demand from Qantas' large frequent flyer programme whose members – accounting for more than half of Australian households – can be willing to pay a premium for a flight that receives Qantas points (Etihad achieved the same with Virgin Australia and its loyalty programme). The marketing power of loyalty programmes – effectively a licence to print money – is not to be under-estimated, and in this regards Emirates has lagged as a result of having few airline partners of late.

However, MH view Enrich miles as liability and redemption as cost, hence expensive surcharge.

Currently:

DXB - SYD - AKL is served by 388

DXB - BKK - SYD - CHC is served by 77W

DXB - SIN - MEL is served by 77W

DXB - KUL- MEL is served by 77W

DXB - MEL - AKL is served by 77W (to be swapped to 388 from Oct)

DXB - BNE - AKL is served by 77W

DXB - SIN - BNE is served by 77W

DXB - PER is served by 773/ 77L/ 77W

DXB - ADL (coming soon by QF?)

The 77W can perform DXB to Australia directly and comfortably without requiring the 345/ 77L at all. Although 345 and 773 did actually served some of these routes before.

I understand some of the DXB-Australia (except PER) flights are weight restricted especially during the summer season. Read this on A.net.

I bet SYD-KUL-LHR is much cheaper than SYD-DXB-LHR!

Really ? Then why so many Aussies fly EK via DXB to EU ? Isn't SQ or CX a better choice ?

Collectively Emirates and Qantas will offer 14 flights with approximately 5,000 seats a day between Dubai and Australia from early 2013, the vast majority from Emirates.

Why pax prefer 4 star carriers than 5 star? :sorry:

LOL

Qantas will end its long-standing relationship with Air France, which sees Qantas codeshare on Air France's services from Asia to Paris CDG. Estimates are that Air France places 100 passengers a day on Qantas' services to Australia.

Opportunity for MH to work with AF from CDG?

Anyone knows how many Australia bound passengers they get from KLM everyday ?

However, MH view Enrich miles as liability and redemption as cost, hence expensive surcharge.

This airline has a crazy fuel surcharge!

Sure, you can play, but what's yours will be mine, what's mine is all mine... that's the mentality of our GLCs managements. Isn't this sound like the system used in PR.China. You can put in all the monies ( & technologies), but you cannot take them all out as it now belongs to the PRC.

I believe Qatar Airs will be one of the more prominent players in this region as well.

Really ? Then why so many Aussies fly EK via DXB to EU ? Isn't SQ or CX a better choice ?

Money may not matter to them, but we all know that the taxes in DXB is a lot more than in KUL.

A lot of people are doing this,especially Australians. I am actually thinking to do this, flying HKG-DXB-LHR. Mind sharing why you never wanted to fly through DXB?

I have no interest in visiting Dubai and I also heard from friends who've been through DXB that it's a zoo. I have other reasons but I won't mention them here as it may come across as being politically incorrect.

Since QF is divorcing BA and MH is joining OW, may be MH could replicate QF-EK deal with BA?

That would make a lot of sense for BA to have a similar arrangement with MH to gain increased access into the Asian market.

A lot of people are doing this,especially Australians. I am actually thinking to do this, flying HKG-DXB-LHR. Mind sharing why you never wanted to fly through DXB?

DXB is like Tsimshatsui, 24/7. :)

DXB is packed 24/7. I paid RM150 for a 4 hr Marhaba lounge access to escape the crowds but there were lots of people cramped into the small lounge. Food was not very good, and even fewer cubicles for the toilet in the lounge! No quiet place to chill out. Once I went through immigration and took a shuttle bus to holiday inn express which was very nice (had a 12 hr layover) .. Great views of terminal 3!! Didn't want to stay inside the terminal though

Edited by Izanee

That would make a lot of sense for BA to have a similar arrangement with MH to gain increased access into the Asian market.

After reading the article by CAPA, I strongly believe BA may also have similar agreements with QR on their Asian network as well as their extensive coverage of North Africa and Indian subcontinent. KUL and MH seem to be at the loosing end after all the hype of joining OW. Who knows?

That is true...... but... the EK T3 F lounge on the other hand... is more like Victoria Peak on a cold winter's day :)

I just love Victoria Peak in such condition... then head to LKF for some tummy warmer

SYD-KUL-LHR always cheaper than SYD-DXB-LHR? Not always the case mate. Not sure about going to LHR, but I have not flown MEL-KUL on MH for quite sometime, I have chosen EK for my last three return flights for obvious reasons. MH is more expensive than SQ and EK. SQ is my second airline of choice as their fare seems to be cheaper than MH whenever I wish to fly out of Australia.

I am going to fly EK from MEL-KUL again, but this time will be one way. EK charges us AUD$470 for one way fare and everyone else including SQ and MH charges $750 for a one way fare, which effectively is a return fare ticket. EK's fare is all inclusive and they don't do fuel surcharge like everyone else - they only charge the flight cost and airport/ govt taxes. EK is a clear choice for me eventhough the flight timing is horrible. which departs MEL at 3;30am during summer or 2:30am during Winter. The thing I like about this flight is that it arrives at KUL at 8:00am which is ideal for connection to everywhere else. I will get to access EK lounge at Melbourne airport this time. :)

I have no interest in visiting Dubai and I also heard from friends who've been through DXB that it's a zoo. I have other reasons but I won't mention them here as it may come across as being politically incorrect.

Ah... i see... so i guess EK's service does not apply to Dubai airport then! Thanks for the tip.

Edited by S V Choong

[/font][/color]

SYD-KUL-LHR always cheaper than SYD-DXB-LHR? Not always the case mate. Not sure about going to LHR, but I have not flown MEL-KUL on MH for quite sometime, I have chosen EK for my last three return flights for obvious reasons. MH is more expensive than SQ and EK. SQ is my second airline of choice as their fare seems to be cheaper than MH whenever I wish to fly out of Australia.

I am going to fly EK from MEL-KUL again, but this time will be one way. EK charges us AUD$470 for one way fare and everyone else including SQ and MH charges $750 for a one way fare, which effectively is a return fare ticket. EK's fare is all inclusive and they don't do fuel surcharge like everyone else - they only charge the flight cost and airport/ govt taxes. EK is a clear choice for me eventhough the flight timing is horrible. which departs MEL at 3;30am during summer or 2:30am during Winter. The thing I like about this flight is that it arrives at KUL at 8:00am which is ideal for connection to everywhere else. I will get to access EK lounge at Melbourne airport this time. :)

Ah... i see... so i guess EK's service does not apply to Dubai airport then! Thanks for the tip.

I believe with the opening of the new A380 terminal, this will free up the space at T3 ?

... the EK T3 F lounge on the other hand... is more like Victoria Peak on a cold winter's day :)

you mean its that misty ? !!! ?

Suzanne appear to belong to those who appreciate their little enclosed oasis where open burning of tabacco leaves is permitted

Her perception of the lounge may therefore be 'clouded' somewhat as compared to what non-smokers experience :p

you mean its that misty ? !!! ?

No lah :p I meant that it's quiet and nice. But yeah, go down one floor to departures and it's as Naim describes - Tsimshatsui 24/7.

Suzanne appear to belong to those who appreciate their little enclosed oasis where open burning of tabacco leaves is permitted

Her perception of the lounge may therefore be 'clouded' somewhat as compared to what non-smokers experience :p

Actually - the T3 F smoking area at the far end is very pleasant indeed. Because the Ceiling is like several stories above, EK didn't separate the smoking from the non-smoking area with walls. Definitely not trapped in a small cubicle that stinks. :) I like!

Smoking area pic

8A80CC00-A458-4755-8027-0CE400691B5D-1626-000001CF7B2C30E6.jpg

Edited by Suzanne Goh

I recently transited Dubai twice when travelling from Bangkok to Houston and back ...

On the trip to Houston, I was quite keen to see Dubai Airport and eagerly stepped into the terminal ... first impression ... it was glittery and huge. But after a short while, I became bored because there really is not very much to see and do after about half an hour. Lots of seats near to all the boarding gates but these are away from the shopping sections and all you see are people trudging to their boarding gates. A last minute change of gate just before boarding resulted in a 20 minute brisk walk but for the elderly, this was probably much longer.

The shops did not offer prices that are anywhere close to being branded attractive ... in the 1990s and earlier, one could clearly see prices were good but today, it is no different from other airports anywhere in the world. For sure, there were items that one could not possibly find anywhere else in the world, like the brass camel that is probably about 70% lifesize. You might have a little difficulty bringing that onboard your flight.

On the return leg, I re-visited the transit area and found myself bored beyond words quickly and ended up parking myself on one of the seats near my boarding gates - surrounded much of the time by families with screaming kids who ended up travelling on the same flight to Bangkok.

If I had to pay for my own passage, I too would avoid travelling via Dubai and certainly would not want to be onboard EK's 10 abreast B777s.

KC

Singapore looks to benefits in Qantas-Emirates deal

CANBERRA - Singapore's Trade Minister Lim Hng Kiang on Monday acknowledged the city-state would be impacted by Qantas's tie-up with Emirates but said the air hub was looking to growth in Asia travel.

The Australian carrier's alliance with Emirates comes amid a bid to stem huge losses in its international business and will see Qantas shift its hub for European flights from Singapore to Dubai.

But the Singaporean trade minister said the state would work closely with Qantas which is set to terminate flights in Singapore and redeploy them within the bustling region where middle classes are set to boom.

"This is obviously a commercial decision, and Qantas moving its hub from Singapore to the Middle East will of course have some impact on us," Lim said during a visit to Australia.

"But at the same time there are air slots that Qantas can use, and the air traffic in Southeast Asia is growing, so we look forward to Qantas using those air slots to service the rest of Asia," he added.

"What we may lose in terms of the European flow we hope to rebuild again in the Asia and the ASEAN flow."

Qantas has described the 10-year partnership with Emirates, unveiled last week and subject to regulatory approval, as "momentous" for the industry and an important step in reversing its haemorrhaging international arm.

It will extend beyond code sharing and joint services to include coordinated pricing, sales and scheduling and a benefit-sharing model, although neither airline will take equity in the other.

Qantas chief Alan Joyce has described the alliance as key to addressing the airline's issues in Asia because it will free up aircraft that once used Hong Kong and Singapore as stopovers to terminate there and travel onwards in Asia.

"(That) makes us more competitive against Singapore (Airlines) and (Hong Kong-based) Cathay," Joyce said in a television interview on Sunday.

Though Qantas's domestic business is a strong performer its international arm is struggling with high fuel costs and steep competition, accounting for much of the airline's Aus$244 million (S$312.7 million) loss in 2011-12.

The half-billion-dollar reverse in its fortunes in just 12 months and Qantas's first loss since privatisation in 1995 saw Standard and Poor's downgrade the Australian carrier's credit rating despite the Emirates deal.

S&P said the cut from BBB to BBB- - still investment grade - was due to "structural pressures affecting the airline's international business", particularly in Asia, which it said would not be easily resolved.

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120910-370660.html

I understand some of the DXB-Australia (except PER) flights are weight restricted especially during summer

You mean on the 77W? The 77W is bing flown by NZ and VA for their AKL to LAX, MEL-LAX, SYD - LAX flights and these flights are 12-14 hours. Find it hard to believe they wil need to restrict the weigh of 77W for shorter routes such as DXB to east coast of Australia.

You mean on the 77W? The 77W is bing flown by NZ and VA for their AKL to LAX, MEL-LAX, SYD - LAX flights and these flights are 12-14 hours. Find it hard to believe they wil need to restrict the weigh of 77W for shorter routes such as DXB to east coast of Australia.

Yes but i suppose you aren't aware that on certain days, those flights you mentioned are weight restricted too depends on the tailwind/headwind??, flight path, season etc (our pilot friends here can perhaps shed some lights on this). And not to forget that DXB is a very hot place especially between March-November. That is going to have an impact on the aircraft performance too.

Even though these airlines are operating a particular route pair year-round, it doesn't mean the flight isn't weight restricted. I mean, EK operates DXB-LAX year-round too with a 77W and last time when a topic on this came up on A.net, EK apparently has to offload quite a few cargo and block off around 40-50 seats in Y sometimes so to fly nonstop between DXB/LAX. CX's flights between HKG/JFK are sometimes weight restricted too.

And as i said in my post earlier, i read this on A.net and quite a few of those regular posters there are working in this field, thus they know what they are talking about :drinks:

Sign in to follow this