MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan B.

'KLIA East @ Labu’

Isn't ironic? The VIP Bunga Raya Kompleks situated immediately next to the masses of "unwashed" if that was REALLY the site of the proposed permanent LCCT. But if MAHB is really serious, wouldn't future expansion be hampered by BOTH the location of the Kompleks and the runway threshold of 14R?

The idea of LCC is to fly you in cheaply, then slaughter you.

I'm combining both the idea by MAHB (ie KLIA west) and Airasia, and it becomes like this.

KLIAextension.jpg

In order not to sacrifice the KLIA "mastermap", KLIA West is chosen. I believe that's a win-win situation. It left the LCC away from legacy airlines but still in the same compound. The terminal is expandable and can include an additional runway.

The building is similar to AirAsia's design in their website. The gates are closed to the runway so there won't be much taxing needed. Extension can be done by adding another building with a central checking area and a runway.

The ERL rail needs to extend maybe a bit further, but it won't make much difference as ERL can travel up to 160km. Another mention is an extension of aerotrain from Sattelite B to the LCCT. I think it is a great idea. That means, even if I am checking in to LCCT, i can go to the Sattelite terminal to sip a coffee there, as well as, if I don't like the offerings in Satelite terminal, i can go to LCCT. This will allow a spread of passengers between terminals. (good for business also).

So what do you think?

Edited by Azri M.

Aerotrain to LCCT?

Aerotrain will connect all the airsides (the Contact Pier-Satelite A/B-LCCT), much like in changi airport. Yesterday while i was in changi, my gate was in T3, I had massage in T2, buy duty frees in T1, but then went to T3 to board. We should be able to do that in KLIA as well.

The ERL rail needs to extend maybe a bit further, but it won't make much difference as ERL can travel up to 160km. Another mention is an extension of aerotrain from Sattelite B to the LCCT. I think it is a great idea. That means, even if I am checking in to LCCT, i can go to the Sattelite terminal to sip a coffee there, as well as, if I don't like the offerings in Satelite terminal, i can go to LCCT. This will allow a spread of passengers between terminals. (good for business also).

So what do you think?

Extending the aerotrain is a good idea, but should limit the use of it to transitting passenger, legacy airline can setup their x-fer counter in LCCT and able to go thru security screening/immigration in LCCT then go rightaway to Satellite... :drinks:

Extending the aerotrain is a good idea, but should limit the use of it to transitting passenger, legacy airline can setup their x-fer counter in LCCT and able to go thru security screening/immigration in LCCT then go rightaway to Satellite... :drinks:

Correct, Aerotrain only for those who have cleared immigration. Transfer counter not too sure, because then airasia has to have a luggage facility transfer which they may not want to do. However, for those who have no luggage, it may be doable.

Having aerotrain to LCCT only add the operating cost at the end. I think building road to the LCCT from MTB would be much preferable, it's not that far either. So far, KLIA-West make much more sense than the East.....

Edited by Seth K

Correct, Aerotrain only for those who have cleared immigration. Transfer counter not too sure, because then airasia has to have a luggage facility transfer which they may not want to do. However, for those who have no luggage, it may be doable.

Thats the reason why I put down, xfer for pax to legacy airline, from LCCT, not VV. One needs to grab their baggage once disembarked on LCC, and it will be best if you could check in for your connecting flight from the LCCT itself, and the aerotrain will bring you out of hell :p

However it is only one way flow always i believe, i dont think TF spend money putting up any baggage facilities there... :p

my2cent

This is how Reuters brought the news:

Malaysia Turns Down AirAsia Airport

January 30, 2009

Malaysia's government has turned down plans from budget carrier AirAsia to build a new airport outside the capital, Kuala Lumpur, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said on Friday.

The new airport, which would have been the fourth to service the capital, attracted criticism from many people, including influential ex-Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad as well as state investment fund Khazanah, which owns part of Malaysia Airports Holdings, the country's sole airport operator.

The decision to cancel the MYR1.6 billion ringgit (USD$443.7 million) project was made at a meeting of AirAsia chief executive Tony Fernandez and Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak on Friday, the source said.

"The new airport is a no go," the source said.

AirAsia had proposed to build, own and operate the airport on 3,000 acres of land owned by plantations of power conglomerate Sime Darby in the central state of Negri Sembilan.

AirAsia's proposal to build its own dedicated airport follows the budget carrier's longstanding complaints that its present low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) at Kuala Lumpur International Airport would not be able to cope with future passenger growth.

The carrier has also complained about the fees airport operator MAHB imposes.

The source said that AirAsia would be allowed to renegotiate fees and other charges with MAHB as a result of the new airport being cancelled.

(Reuters)

I have a wacky idea here - if what airasia need is just a big parking space - why cant they make the second satellite building area one big apron? maybe one long gate like Bristol ( For example), then the rest are just parking spaces.

I know it can fit alot of aircrafts if they make it that way.

SAR,

I think that is everyone's suggestion now - to use that square of HUGE space allocated for the other satellite terminal which only God knows when will it be built. That seems to be the most apporpriate for now. No swampy issue, no ERL obstruction.

I better don't talk too much later kena accused of being arrogant again... ^_^

Cheers

Ryan

SAR,

I think that is everyone's suggestion now - to use that square of HUGE space allocated for the other satellite terminal which only God knows when will it be built. That seems to be the most apporpriate for now. No swampy issue, no ERL obstruction.

I better don't talk too much later kena accused of being arrogant again... ^_^

Cheers

Ryan

OT

Been following your altercations from the other thread and stop being cynical about it already if you really wanna leave that issue behind! Ogh, God. Me and the other members are sick of it already.

Edited by Mulyadir Fitri

OT

Been following your altercations from the other thread and stop being cynical about it already if you really wanna leave that issue behind! Ogh, God. Me and the other members are sick of it already.

Eh cool it babe... self-humour also cannot ah?

Eh cool it babe... self-humour also cannot ah?

Well you're carrying it all a bit too far.

Back to the topic:

THE AIRPORT & TERMINAL FACILITIES

The Satellite B Terminal Reserve (Apron D) should be built and used as the new Premier Terminal - the older satellite can be used as the so called LCCT apron.

Aerobridges should be charged on a time-bloc basis to reduce costs for operators and encourage fast turnaround times which are the objective of Low Cost Carriers like AirAsia. The baggage system at the present terminals should be modified at the same time as the new Sat B terminal is constructed. Toilets should be refurbished under the one contract.

DCA AND ATC

At the same time, coordination with the DCA's new ATC Management system should permit the construction of a new dedicated ATC centre at KLIA, rather than the present facility at Subang, which could EASILY be converted into a Regional ATC Training Centre OR utilised by the Armed Forces/Air Force.

TRANSPORTATION HUB

I agree with Tony Fernandes, the Airport SHOULD be a major transportation hub integrating public bus services, intra-town bus services (Scheduled services), train (ERL Ekpres & KLIA Transit). This should be integrated at the existing airport in an orderly and well managed fashion. Bus companies should follow a strict timetable of services and not WAIT for the bus to be full - delaying passengers by up to an hour - before they depart. I had this experience not too long ago at the LCCT with the Red Bus Company.

LIFESTYLE

Lifestyle options at KLIA should also be explored and a shopping centre for the general & travelling public should be constructed within the present compund - There is ample car-parking available at the existing MTB, and sky bridges can connect the new ATC facility, shopping centre with the Main Terminal Building and Car Parks.

One thing we are missing in Malaysia is a LARGE Brand Direct Factory Outlet Store - similar to what is available at Brisbane International Airport (DFO). I think that it would be a perfect location for it. It should be marketed well and prices made attractive to the public - the focus initially to bring in the population. The lifestyle mall should encourage interest in Aviation and should also contain numerous f&b outlets for both airport staff and the public. Perhaps a cinema, a bowling alley - its limitless.

There is so much that can be done with a bit of careful planning. Hopefully, through all this experience and with the financial restructuring of MAHB complete, some sensible and profit making ventures can be entered. Fingers crossed.

Malaysia Airports To Build Budget Terminal

February 2, 2009

Malaysia Airports, the country's sole airport operator, plans to build a low-cost terminal, local newspapers reported, after reports that budget airline AirAsia's proposal to build an airport was scrapped.

AirAsia had planned to build and run its own airport in the central state of Negri Sembilan because in its view the budget carrier terminal at Kuala Lumpur International Airport would not be able to handle future passenger growth.

But the MYR1.6 billion ringgit (USD$444 million) project, which would be the fourth airport in the Malaysian capital, attracted criticism from various quarters, including state investment arm Khazanah and former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.

On Friday, sources said the AirAsia plan had been scrapped by the government.

The New Straits Times quoted an unidentified source as saying that Malaysia Airport Holdings would instead build a budget terminal near the existing one at Kuala Lumpur airport.

However, AirAsia's airport fees may be lowered -- something the airline had been complaining about, according to a source.

AirAsia said late on Friday that a meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak had been very positive but gave no details.

A decision will be announced in two to three weeks, state news agency Bernama quoted Transport Minister Ong Tee Keat as saying.

(Reuters)

Heard Indonesian Government is going to build a new terminal at CGK for AK, and Thai Government is inviting AK to base more airplanes at BKK.

Hope MAB won’t drive AK offshore.

:drinks:

Heard Indonesian Government is going to build a new terminal at CGK for AK.

The Terminal 3 in CGK is almost completed now. From my reading, it will be allocated for low cost airlines (and it is an A380 capable terminal too). I wonder if QZ will move into this new terminal.

DSC06442.jpg

Then we'll lose out more than we'll gain...

It is a price we will have to bear in the big picture of the global economy :)

Actually I keep asking myself would it be convenient if I, as passengers, travel to Labu whether stopping in KL or transfer from there.